August Event 2006

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

August Event 2006

Post by dier_cire »

Figuree I'll start this off.

Excellent event. One fo the most puzzle / combat intensive I've seen in a long time. Very nice.

Friday night. The cave wasn't terribly dangerous except for certain implusive empaths who kept activating the monsters. The puzzle took awhile to solve so the damage wore us down over time but the pace was such that it made easy to count damage and when to backup or press forward. Good starter for the event to get us into the mood.

Saturday morning. Ah stretching and some light martial arts feels good. I am getting old. I never needed to stretch in the morning. The Saturday "treasure" hunt was back. I missed these from years ago at CARPS. The long walks, the mass puzzles, the so almost rewards... good stuff. The caves were fun. The exploding molds were very nasty. The little rat guy and his aligator were cool. The lodge was nice and cool. Reminds me of Barnes Hall. The moss creatures were fun, and the cave with the dagger was a pita. I swore wwe had the easiest cave ever. But no... Turned out to be one that took the longest. Btw, Vince has way too long of a reach. :P Got to use hld ground and my 3 minutes of bleeding to death, woot. The final cave with the golems was great. hitting Vince as he charged his crush was entertaining, though when I missed, it wasn't. :)

Saturday Evening. The air cave was a pita. The continual damage was rough. When the air wisps became air elementals and we all ran out for fear of death was good too. Kels being stuck sucked since we were all burned of life and armor and couldn't mount a rescue for 5 minutes. Charging into the cave with my freakishly tall elf was excellent. Finding Kels had knocked the major one down to one hitpoint and killing it in one hit was anti climactic but props to him for taking it down so far!

Excellent event guys!
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

I had a blast!! made some cool stuff... healed lots of people
Great RPing!!
Lots of period wear everywhere...not a lot of mundane things (at least not too noticible) hanging around... (Heidi!! I loved the things you had on and near the table in the stone building)

I am sad that I missed the talking goat, spider named 3 stuff!!! The people who went could not say enough about it!!
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I had a blast. I can hardly move today, but it was worth it. Great job everyone! By the way, the cave was asome, I got lost in there a couple times!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Thanks everone who helped cleaned, and washed their dishes. I've never seen such a pile of period dishes. Thanks alot!
Travis Cole
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

I have to admit that preceeding this event I wasn't real excited to come, no were near the way I used to be. I think this just really were I am in my life, that and missing the last event. By sunday morning, I was bummed to have to leave all of my friends and all of the fun so early. 'Nuff said.

I was nuts busy all of saturday. My armor was shredded at the beginning of the Treasure hunt, and I didn't have a chance to fix it until after dark. Just in time to get it shredded once again in the Wastes. I loved the giant arch/gate. The scale was awesome, it really added alot. The lighting could maybe use a little work though. The fact that we found it earlier in the day, on the talking goat plot, and that Lambic didn't go back and investigate it, he kicked himself the rest of the night. I apologize to several of the NPCs, I was getting a little intense and even though I kept trying to rein myself in, I felt that I was a overly rough on them. I'm sorry. Although that is a testment to intense emotion and stress we as players were feeling. (that's good stress btw)

<...sorry had to take a moment to scratch my bug bites, note to self bring bug spray and remember to keep putting it on next time...>

This was the first time I saw the tenting area/Elder's Order. I liked it. I think you guys did a really nice job setting it up. Also I think people did a great job keeping things more period. It surprised me how much less people drank from the bar when we didn't have the root beer. Now I just gotta work on getting some more mugs.
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

My mother suggested to me a very good idea for the kitchen. When I get back I tell her all about the event and she loves to hear about everyone. It is like a story to her. Anyways I was telling her about Sen the cook of haven, and how he had to have a tube of water on the ground to wash dishes. Terns out that we have an over large water holder. It’s about 1 ½ feet tall and the same wide. It keeps water very cool for a long time. So I got to thinking if we had cold water how could we get hot and it hit me a café maker. I am going to bring it for the next event, if someone has a café maker they could bring we could have hot and cold water in the inn. All someone would have to do is keep the water holder full.
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

That we can do. There is a hose spigot on the outside bathroom wall.
Travis Cole
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

cool.
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Maybe it was because I didn't get there til Sat just before game break but Sat night was one of the slowest I've experienced at FH right up until the fit hit the shan. Onyx kept going back to check on the Ga'Vin just to have something, anything to do. I realize that I may have missed alot of plots that may have come in or been left out of some of the stuff that started earlier in the weekend but that's just the impression I got. And seeing alot of the other people that go out and do most anything that comes along sitting around sorta makes me think I wasn't alone in that. I realize that atleast a few of the NPC's had probably more than their share of stuff to do, namely Mike and Karen who I saw play no less than 4 actual NPC's a piece in a few hour stretch. It seemed like the PC's were waiting for the NPC's and the NPC's were waiting for the PC's. If it weren't for the "Taki leaving the game for atleast awhile" plot I would call Sat night a bust for action minded people.

But having said that the plots that I did go out on were interesting and fun. Maybe I just need to involve Onyx in more social things and less stick jockeying. Although I did see a marked improvement in the RP going on this event, with the help of NPC's to facilitate more of it. Much Kudo's to the players and the staff for that. I know I know, I'm a hard to please mofo but at one point this game was an excellent example of a LARP that had lots of things for all types of players and achetypes and I guess I just want it to be that still.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Excellent event. Far and away the best this year for me. The role-playing was great, lots of suspense with the plots and wonderful variety in terms of the monsters we encountered. The cave was the best ever. The twists in the Rodrick plot were very involved and thoroughly enjoyable. This event had the best puzzles I have seen. In my opinion with this event the NPCs set a new bar in terms of balance between combat, mental work, and role-playing opportunities. The air cave death charge with my war cow was a particularly enjoyable moment. Thank you, I can't wait for the next one!
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Talana Isilisurë
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Talana Isilisurë »

I had a great time at this event, but I have to be honest in that very little of it seemed to have anything to do with the GM/NPC staff. It seemed like everyone was in a terrible rush the entire event to get PCs on any plot (this was more PC driven than NPC) and everytime I'd run to the Inn to grab my sword, I'd come back out and people would be gone. It's like they're in some kind of race to see who can be the first to kill something and while there are in game disadvantages to that (i.e. no strategies are being deployed and mistakes could be made in who is killed) there is also a sort of greed that comes across out of game as if those who are running off don't care that there are a very limited number of NPCs and plots going on at once and that it might be nice if they "shared" some of those plots. Unfortunately, it seems, that unless you're a sprinter and long distance runner, you're not going to get much combat action.

The one time that our reconnaisance told us that there was going to be an attack in town, I set up a circle and cast a spell... twice... and sat there for a grand total of four hours. Nothing happened. Except I got killed by a dog who walked into my circle and licked my face. I also spent another 2 1/2 hours sitting in the woods protecting Addison. I also patrolled on at least 6 or 7 occasions and never once encountered anything. Could be chance, could be poor timing, more likely to be the very limited (quantity) GM/NPC staff.

However, there were some insanely great roleplaying moments with a variety of PCs and that's all that really mattered to me anyways. I'm only commenting above because I feel there is a problem and for those who might actually want to participate in combats, there are a select few who are robbing them of that opportunity.

Nice job on the Gauntlet (though I never got to see it in game) and the gate, as well as in costuming and very quality (even if limited in quantity) NPCs.
Talanalassë Isilisurë
Elven Artificer
"Seere ana ilya..." ("Peace to all...")
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Keep the feedback coming everyone (both positive and negative)--it helps either improve our game or boost our ego--both are welcome. Just wanted to respond to Temple and others who thought Saturday was slow. Lots of things did go on Saturday but two of the bigger plots only drew six people a piece for whatever reason. Fortunately it was a different six each time but that still leaves a couple dozen who missed both so that is unfortunate.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I think a lot of us were very tired Saturday night from the sheer volume of plots Friday and Saturday. I know there was some ruckus a few times Saturday night after the air cave, but I was so burned that I didn't even want to go out again. :D

Not that I'm complaining, I loved the fast pace. It kept me moving and on my toes. Like the dagger cave. "Ooh, easiest cave ever! Mike got lazy! *poof* Dammit all to heck! *45 minutes later* One of the hardest plots ever..."
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

I would have to agree with several people that saturday night did like it had a hole in it. I and several other PCs sat around trying to make sure that the Haven wasn't left unguarded from the 2 armies that we had been told repeatedly by several sources were almost definitely coming to attack us that night. At least once we saw a bunch of town's people take off, but were unwilling to follow for fear of the army arriving and taking over the Haven. So if what those PCs were taking off to do were the major plots of the evening, there seems to have been some miscommunication. I would've enjoyed some of the things earlier saturday if I had had time to sit down for 15-30 minutes between plots and repair my armor, but I just didn't seem to have that kind of time.

I did like the plot with Roderick and the twists and stuff, that was cool. And I will agree with Tonia that costuming and roleplaying from the NPC and GMs was top notch.

I also liked the way the talking goat plot was layed out. Just enough combat to keep us on edge, but not the overwhelming point of the plot. Not so much that we had to spend a bunch of time repairing and healing, in the middle. It was nice to have a slightly lighter plot instead of doon and destruction. :)
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

As a suggestion to the NPC's bringing in plots that aren't focused on a group or certain people, make sure you make the rounds so that alot of people atleast get to hear about it, PC's are notoriously bad at deciminating information especially in this game. Some by choice, some by habit, and some don't even realize they do it.

I have to agree with Tonia on the fact that sometimes certain people seem to feel that as soon as a plot comes in it needs to be dealt with as expediantly as possible. Plots that have a time componenet to them do need to be dealt with in a timely manner, but I experienced the same thing Sat night after sitting and shooting the shite with the NPC's that were going to NPC a plot because I was looking for something to do and happened to hear them by the cave. So I boogeyed back up to the Inn, got asked if I wanted to go and by the time I got inside, said a few words to someone and answered 1 question I came back out and the group was already gone and had left behind a couple of other people so we hightailed it down to the cave. I realize that plot had a time component to it too, but I think the GM's would understand if the time went a few minutes over because the one running it had 3 people to play in a short span of time.

Oh and Wayne-0 that jumpgate ROXORED!!!
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~