Sometimes the work is never done.

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Sometimes the work is never done.

Post by cole45 »

As the night falls over the tiny hamlet of Haven, Sen steps out into the darkness. Footsteps over the cooling ground. The Valkyn'Vi walks quickly through the night, the breeze picking up and making the trees rattle. The days are growing hot, and the nights, only slightly less warm. Sen goes to the top of a small hill, where a grove of trees opens up into a circle. There is a fallen log in the middle, and lightning bugs flicker on and off.

There waits a body in the mist. The shape is hard to make out, even for a Valkyn'Vi, who have perfect night vision. But as Sen approaches him, he makes out that it who he expected. The man waits, sitting still in the heart of the forest with a heavy canvas wrapped package over his legs. He has a dagger in his hand. It's red tinted blade glimmers in the starlight.

The man's face is blacked, darkened to make him effective in his profession. His cloths are dirty, and leafy. They also help him to ovoid being spotted in by his prey. He tosses the package to Sen as the cook approaches. Sen hefts in one hand, and more importantly, smells it. He sets it between his legs and pulls an amber vial from his side pouch. He opens the top, and hands it to the man in black. The man in black takes a light breath and smiles. Sen tosses him the top, and walks back to the Inn, smiling to himself.

The Cook sets the package on the large wooden cutting board and reaches into his tools. He pulls out a large, leather wrapped knife that is nearly a foot long. It tapers to a razor sharp point, and had a small groove running the length of it's dark blade. He also takes out a large hook, made of steel and formed in a wicked curve. It has a sharp point, and an eyelet on the back for rope. Finally he takes out a six foot length of good silk rope from one of his boxes.

Sen unties the tiny twine ties holding the flaps of the package together. Four sets, for four sides. Once loose, he unfolds the canvas. Crimson stains upon the cloth are revealed to Sen's Lamplight as the crows cackle behind him.

“Sen,Sen,Sen,Sen.” The crows call out. Quoth, the largest of the birds caws the loudest. He is still wounded from his attack, but the soft feathers were starting to fill back in. The crimson stains are still warm. Sen finally unravels the cavnvas to reveal the body of a fawn. It was male, and tiny nubbings of it's horn can be seen. The hunter's arrow, long since removed caught the creature in a lethal location. Sen imagined the hunter now, enjoying the spices he'd given him. A tiny amount of spice, but it was extremely rare. In other times, wars had been fought over spices like that.

Sen took the fawn and swept the blood soaked canvas to the sink. He carefully laid the body of the little fawn out on the cutting board. He took his knife and swiftly drew it across the neck of the animal, severing it's clean in a single blow. Metal through muscle, with no wasted motion. Then He held the animal down firmly, and cut it open. The hunter had dressed it in field, so all Sen needed to do was cut it a apart. He cut the fawn in half, then spit it upon his hook. He tied the rope to the eyelet and then up. The Fawn dangled awkwardly as Sen worked at it, cutting apart it's flesh with the knife. Rump, legs, Shank,Ribs. Everything separated. The flesh of the fawn was springy, easy to slice with a sharp knife.

He pulled the skin back and tossed it into the sink. Finally, Sen wrapped the head in leaves, and placed it in a large tew pot that was already simmering.

Some of the meat went into the stew, but a lot it was pulled to be hung. He rubbed the flesh down with a reddish-yellow spice that emanated coriander and saffron. Finally, He was done. The meat wouldn't feed many people, but it had a more delicate, special use.
Travis Cole
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

*entering the kitchen*

"Sen, could I perhaps get some rations for about 2 days.. I have to make a short journey and would appreciate some fine food for it."
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

The ravens caw madly when Ian comes, only to be shushed by the cook. Sen turns and smiles to Ian, bowing quickly.

“I think that I should be able to come up with something. If I recall correctly, you prefer a crusty white bread and cheese. I happen to have several small loaves of bread provided by Kidwyn. I also have a few bricks of thick cheese with the rind on.”

Sen goes to work, carefully packing a small satchel that could be tossed over the neck by a long tie. Into it he packed a few loaves of bread, a thick crusty bread with oats rolled onto the outside. Then a few small bricks of cheese. Wrapped in a cloth, with a thick yellow rind on the outside. Lastly sen reached into the Gnomish cooling device that had been made, and pulled a lump of cold meat. It was dark red meat roasted. Sen picked up his knife and with surgical precision cut a few small slices of meat. These he packed with garlic and parsley to keep them from going dry and wrapped them in spinach leaves covered in salt. Finally he tucked a wineskin full of Lambic's ale into the satchel.

“This should do you sir. Might I ask where you are off to?Perhaps I can be of assistance in some other way?” Sen asks. Quoth, the largest of the Ravens watches them from his hanging cage. He flutters his wings a little, his wound still pink.
Travis Cole
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

*taking the offered package, I an nods*

"Thank you Sen, that looks great.. as for where I go, only a half days or so walk, to see a friend, I believe she may be finishing up what she set out to do when the group of us left after Pentag. With any luck I shall be returning with a Delayne. I hope she is well. Farewell for now Sen."
Nothing can save you!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

“Delayne. I do not know this name well. I have heard mention of her from the other residents of haven as a fine healer. I hope all guess well with your journey. There are storms brewing, which may be good, and may be bad. If you would like to take a Raven with you, I could do that. Any of them except Quoth. He is not well yet. But they would be able to find their way home and bring us a message if you need it.” Sen says with a smile.
Travis Cole
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

" I thanks for the offer, but I should be fine alone this time. When we return I shall make sure to introduce you to Delayne.. she is quite the interesting individual."

*With that said Ian exits the kitchen and heads into the surrounding terrain*
Nothing can save you!