After the first wave...

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

After the first wave...

Post by GM-Mike »

After the first wave of Havenites proceeds throught the portal, Elder Quetzel enters the inn muttering something about an incompetent apprentice. He wipes his brow with a dry cloth, despite the cool breeze that swirls through the inn. He sits on one of the benches, apparently to catch his breath. Only then does he appear to notice the large portal in the middle of the room. He glances at it only briefly, saying simply, "It's always something around here," before bowing his head, entering what appears to be a meditative state. Within half a minute his head bolts back up, his full concentration on the swirling image of some other land. Standing now, squinting, he takes two tentative steps toward the portal, as if to get a better look. His brow creases in worry or anger or both and he mutters to no one in particular, "What is the meaning of this?" When no answer is immediately given, he yells with more power, more conviction than any had heard from him before, "WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!"
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

**Lambic comes around the bar where he had been packing his gear.**

I'm not sure I know the meaning but the purpose is to let a group of Havenites go after those Havenites that have been kidnapped by villan whom we believe to be Pentaguishine. Is that close enough?

**Lambic says this with a tired honesty in his voice. He seems to really want to answer the question.**
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

*Upon hearing Elder Quetzel's louder shout for an explanation, Donovan steps in from the yard where the Phoenix are equipping themselves for the journey through the portal. Hearing the end of Lambic's comment and taking in the scene, he quickly approaches Elder Quetzel. The Elder's alarm has obviously caused him great concern.*

"Elder Quetzel? What is it? Why do I get the impression that there's a problem with this portal?"
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Hearing the shouting, Kidwynn checks out the commotion.*

What is goin' on?
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Elder Quetzel, eyes wide, adresses Lambic, "Kidnapped? Kidnapped?" He becomes reflective a moment and then asks, "Were there many of them that were taken? Or was there one perhaps of great power?"

After Donovan speaks, Quetzel answers urgently, "Not with the portal, Donovan, but with the place. Please, I must have answers before I can know the extent of our troubles."
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Kidwynn looks at Lambic then to Donovan and then the the Elder.*

What? Group of what to where? Who all was in that group?
Last edited by Kidwynn on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Amagus had been immersed in his studies, largely ignoring the portal. He shook his head as several adventurers passed through it, and many more prepared to do the same. The four that had apparently been captured were ‘acceptable losses’, not worth risking the bulk of Haven’s strength to retrieve, yet there they went. Amagus certainly had no inclination of going through, himself. Pentaguishine was obviously a servant of a greater power – namely that which raised him. With cunning, that power might well be harvested. However, he wasn't about to confront it blindly. Much information must be had first before committing himself against it. Such might be had when the heroes returned. And if they did not return… well, Amagus was all ready concocting contingency plans for that possibility.

But the Elder’s alarm caught his attention. Was he in danger even on this side of the portal?
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

After flashing a quick handsign to the men gathered outside, Donovan answers the Elder's questions in a rigid, almost mechanical tone.

"Elder, only four were taken - but one could be of very great power indeed. I'll tell you what I know. Witnesses stated that the Dutchess Robin was having some labor-related issues. She went for a walk with Kels, Giddeon, and Grok for reasons I can't confirm. People have reported that they saw her pause for a moment by the roadside before being "rent apart" by some invisible force. Kels, Giddeon, and Grok apparently vanished moments later."

"A little while afterwards two individuals arrived with some knowledge of their whereabouts. They cast a spell and we saw a vision of Kels, Giddeon, and Grok unconscious in a field surrounded by a flaming letter 'P'. We presumed that Pentag was responsible, and the same two individuals offered to open this portal to take us to their location."

Donovan pauses, his eyes darting around the room as he takes account of the people and resources at hand.

"Several of the more... excitable townsfolk have already gone through, and we were planning on going in force as soon as we can get equipped. You asked about one of power, and Robin's baby has been the source of some potent arcane phenomena. Elder, you seem to know something about this, what can you tell me?"
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*After listening to the explination, Kidwynn just appears visiably angry and irritated. She looks at the elder and does her best to burry her anger since it is not directed towards him.*

One question, can you get me there Elder...I don't care what I'm steppin' into just please if it is within your power all I ask is that you get me to that location.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Elder Quetzel addresses Kidwynn first: "I imagine you simply need to step into the portal to find yourself on the other side."

Turning then to Donovan, speaking quickly, "Then it must be the baby that he wants, if it is indeed a source of potent arcane phenomenon as you say. Where to start? There is too much..." He thinks a moment and then asks a simple question, "Tell me, do you know anything of Vaunephasuak? If so then there is your answer; if not, then it will take a moment and I shall talk as quickly as possible for some urgency is required I fear."
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Looks at the Elder*

So you are sayin' right now that the portal is open? If so, how long of a window do I have to walk through it? Is there enough time for me to grab a few provisions?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Elder Quetzel thinks a moment and then replies. "I honestly do not know how long you have, but I'm guessing you have time to grab whatever you wish. It's been up this long; I imagine it'll stay up a bit longer."
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Kidwynn looks at the Elder and gives him a slight smile.*

Thank-you. I'll return shortly then. If you can think of anythin' I might need to know before rushin' in it would be appreciated.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

“VAUNEPHASUAK?!?”

Amagus jumps to his feet, sending his chair crashing to the floor and books and instruments toppling across the table before him. He hobbles quickly over to the Elder and grasps him firmly by the arm.

“Vaunephasuak?!? Is that where this portal leads?! How can you be certain!?!”
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Watches the reaction and spins around to watch the two men.*

What is this VAUNEPHASUAK?
Last edited by Kidwynn on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.