weapons and how you can RP them

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

weapons and how you can RP them

Post by Ark »

i have brought this up before when talking about pikeman slightly, was told it was going to be addressed in the new rulebook and never was. so here we are again on another discussion.

first off, headed, bladed, pikes. two of these are very general one is not.

Pikes: what constitutes a pike? length? i see no minimum pike size in the book?, shape? not any of that either. when i first brought up pikes and pikeman i belive the answer was...

"it is a discipline given to benifit a hard to use weapon"

...so i asume were talking about length here, in that case say minimum length was 5 feet, and anything over could be considered a "pike" for skill uses.
if this is not reasonable please inform me as to why? why is one persons 5 foot pike able to use specific skills a 6 foot sword could not?

SOLUTION: thats right, i generally dont complain unless i have ideas of how to fix it.
change it and other skills refering to "pike" to "long" and list a specific minumum length required, no need to force the shape of a weapon on people if it does not matter.

round 2

claws and fists, and there use with normal weapons.

if someone has claws, and/or fists, and can do damage with them, could they weild a sword or another weapon in one hand, and a claw and/or fist in the other. we all know you can weild a fist and a sword at the same time, as this was allowed a few years ago to allow empaths to channel through them, im simply asking that if you can do damage with them, can you.

i dont see why not, but if you cant, please give me a GOOD reason whay not.

round 3

sheilds and weapons, is there any restriction on what weapons can or cannot be used with a shield, as in can you use a shield and sword, but not a shiled and dagger? i did not think there were, but just making sure. if there are any there better be a darn good reason for them.

discuss :wink:
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

I know the answer to round 2. You can't wield a fist in one hand and a weapon in the other unless you have Ambidexterity twice, and then you can only do it with a small sized weapon in your other hand. I guess the claw combination has no answer yet.

You want to know what constitutes a pole arm? Google it. You will see lot's of wooden hafted weapons with different heads on top, and they all tend to be about 5 to 12 feet in length.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

the difference between a pike and a 6 foot axe in this game is look, thats all

if someone came up to me and said "m playing an Orc warrior, he uses a 6 foot axe ad i would like to use pikeman it fits with my idea for him,
hes big and can press,
he is tough and has vigor,
he cleaves enimies in two and has 5 vorpal,
he is really strong and can deal 2 with it,

what do you think?"

i would say yes, because that is awsome RP to me,and i think its a cool thing to do.

if i said "no you cant you have to use a pike" both me and the player are going to be disapointed, and that should never happen

now think about that a bit please.

....as for the cant use a fist and a weapon i would really like a GM to clarify WHY this is the way it is, if there is some expliot we dont know about or something, because now with the amount of ways there are to dual weild i dont think its a problem if it ever even was in the first place
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Part of the seperation of weapons is to keep WF limited to once each. Bladed, headed have their own.

as far as then level three, I agree. Samurai works fine with a sword.

That's just me of course.
Travis Cole
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i agree that i would like to see impale allowed for all weapon types, as said it worked fine on another discipline, the problem on that one was its 4th level skill.

as for WF stacking Wayne cleared up a long time ago that only one WF stacks on a weapon, if you have Glaive, that is a pole arm with a blade on the end, he said you could have either WF blades or pole arms effect it, but NOT both.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

nope. it was the third. parry is the forth.
Travis Cole
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

yup i know, i was stating that the third level samuria skill, 5 vorpal with a sword, was not a problem. the problem was the 4th level parry
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The rules are fairly explicit about fist and weapon. Under the ambidexterity skill description it says: With Ambidexterity a Brawler may fight with a fist phys-rep in each hand. As well, the brawler may call “1” damage while wielding fists. Characters who invest in two disciplines with the Ambidexterity skill may dual wield a fist and a small sized weapon.

Therefore, in order to dual wield with a fist that does damage, you need to have ambidexterity twice. There are a couple reasons why this is the case. Originally, you received no bonuses for having skills multiple times so remove the synergy for a moment. We don't like things in the game that make the brain hurt and this is an occasion that does so. So you have a sword in one hand and a fist in the other and you are fighting and you are blocking, mostly with sword but occasionally the fist reflexively. Of course when you block with a fist without an appropriate skill you take the damage even though when you block with your sword hand you are okay. The brain is not really set up to do this type of thing quickly. When we added synergies we allowed it with the belief that people investing in ambidexterity twice have a character concept in mind that will probably include the iron fist skill, thereby eliminating the problem. In addition, you always have a non-disarmable weapon at your disposal, which is an advantage over the dual wield skill.

As for claws, I think you are more than welcome to have a sword in one hand and a claw in the other...as long as the sword is no larger than the claw you are wielding in your other hand. Claws are better than dual-wield as they, like fists, are not disarmable.

There actually was some break involving fists...I can't remember what it is at the moment but remember having a conversation about it.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

thanks for clearing that up mike, apreciate it. i think the balance between weapons and claws/fists is okay, both have pros and cons

weapon:
-anyone can use any single weapon regaurdless of skills known.
-weapons have WF and other skills to boost there damage.
-can be broken in emergency situations
-can be any length

fists and claws:
-can channel through them
-always have them no matter what.

now each one of these bonuses is also a con for the other, and i dont think there is any way to say wich one is better, so i will just leave it to people to make there own decisions