Question - Path Skills

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Question - Path Skills

Post by Kalphoenix »

I am aware that you can't purchase "jack of all trades" skills unless THAT is your path. Ignoring that:

Can you buy a path skill that is in your own path that you didn't select as one of your four because you already have four? IE: You are a basic rogue with Spot, Critical Strike, Knockout and Pick simple locks. Can you use points to buy Cunning?

Since I read that you can't pick skills under the "heroes and villains" rules as additional skills unless that is your path, can you still purchase skills separately from another path? If so, is there still an "order" to how you have to purchase them (IE: Rogue -> Spot -> CS -> KO -> PSL), or could someone buy the Knockout skill without buying Critical Strike first?

Also, can a jack of all trades path take expansion skills or are they limited to the "base" skills.

Can a sage mimic expansion skills? I would assume no, since you can't pick them as a non-member of that path, but it would be good to get this clarified.

Hopefully my questions make sense?
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Can you buy a path skill that is in your own path that you didn't select as one of your four because you already have four? IE: You are a basic rogue with Spot, Critical Strike, Knockout and Pick simple locks. Can you use points to buy Cunning?

Answer is Yes.

Since I read that you can't pick skills under the "heroes and villains" rules as additional skills unless that is your path, can you still purchase skills separately from another path? If so, is there still an "order" to how you have to purchase them (IE: Rogue -> Spot -> CS -> KO -> PSL), or could someone buy the Knockout skill without buying Critical Strike first?

Answer - The rules for purchasing OUt of Path skills has not changed, as for Expansion Path skills, since you cannot buy Out Of Path Exapnsion skills there is no real order for expansion Path skills.

Also, can a jack of all trades path take expansion skills or are they limited to the "base" skills.

Answer - Jack of All Trades is limited to Core skills.. no Expansion skills except for 2 (I cannot remember off hand.. Use Shield and Use bow I think)..

Can a sage mimic expansion skills? I would assume no, since you can't pick them as a non-member of that path, but it would be good to get this clarified.

Answer - No
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The two expansion skills allowed to be bought by the jack of all trades is use shield and dual wield. Phil answered all other questions correctly.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Next:

Mesmerize
The sage can spend a life point and throw a packet, calling "charm--mesmerize." When charmed, the target must turn and face the sage, and neither the sage nor the target may move or talk. The charm effect is broken the moment the target takes damage. However, the target may choose to break the charm themselves. To do so, they must spend a life point and then must run away from combat for ten seconds. The sage must rest for ten uninterrupted seconds before they may use the mesmerize skill again. They may use other skills without resting, but they may not use any skill during the rest period.

Dominate
Once the sage has mesmerized the person, he/she may spend a 5 count (interruptible) and 1 LP to inflict 3 vorpal. You may not use this skill again until you reload it for 1 minute.

How does mesmerize work with dominate? If no one can move, does that mean if you want to use dominate, you'd have to throw a packet like, three feel away from the person in order to have them mesmerized close enough to use dominate with a melee weapon or do you deliver the 3 vorpal without doing anything?

Also, it says neither can move or talk, but it doesn't say you can't charge skills on either side (which a sage would have to be able to do to charge the dominate), so does that mean a mesmerized target can use LP and charge skills while they are mesmerized, as long as they don't move? Like could a healer be healing them-self, for example? Can the sage do the same while mesmerizing? My common sense says no, but the mechanic doesn't really specify. Can a sage break the mesmerize? Wouldn't even TRYING to use dominate break the mez and make the skill unusable since you have to move to swing at a mesmerized target? Or do you just tell them "You take three vorpal" and you don't actually swing at them at all? I'm assuming "mechanical calls" do not constitute talking (I mean, when you are swinging a weapon, your character isn't really saying "one," after all). When it says "moving" does it mean walking/swinging/skill moving, or do you have to literally stand there and not scratch, blink or roleplay? Like I thought for mesmerize, it might be a fun skill if you could stand in place and sway a bit or hum.

Also, have we clarified that a "Zero" call is damage, or that it is not damage?

Thank you.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Any thoughts on those? ^
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Anon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Anon »

Hey while the topic is up can you purchase skills from the wizard path while purchasing skills from other paths?

Meaning currently I am a full Warrior, can I spend the 20 points I have laying around to buy Cure 2 potion from the wizard path?
+==+ +==+ +==+ +==+ +==+ +==+
La morte paure me, le paure della vita, mi sono diviso.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Any thoughts on those?
I have many thoughts on those. Thanks for asking.

The answer to Anon's question is yes.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The clarification on mesmerize is that you can't do anything while mesmerized
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

except stand there and have a staring contest
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Lol, thanks. :D
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I apologize, I don't know if this was answered. Can one use jack of all trades to purchase wizard path skills as well as other core skills?
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You can use jack of all trades to buy anything that is in the core rulebook, if you can find wizard "spells" there then you can buy them.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them