Resist, Immune, No effect

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

It's cheezy because there is no way to know that your attacks are not effecting your opponent because you are not being told the strikes are having no effect. After my first attack has no effect something should let me know that my melee strikes are having no effect and that you are not cheating. Much like how saying 'Resist' lets someone know that ball of magic didn't just blow a hole in your chest, I want to know when my stabs are not chipping you armor.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Personally Chris as much as I like the Rp aspect.. you are adding to much to the resists there.. Keep it simple.. Just make it a mandatory call. no if's and or buts. If you can Resist or are Immune to a call just make them call it ( or at least a call of No Effect which as my earlier post says I like better).

As for Defensive Matrix, I really have not seen this as a big problem.. generally if someone is swinging One's at a target, after about 30seconds of that target not really defending, you have to assume he is in DM (if that character is a warrior.. otherwise he probably has a POV potion going) - either way it becomes obvious that you are doing no damage.

As a warrior myself I actually try to actively defend while in DM to make them wonder longer. Now if someone was beating on me and asked if they were doing any damage I would probably feel obligated to tell them "NO" (thats just me).. or be funny and just swing "0" at them and see if they figure it out.

Either way DM is a utility skill.. Although to announce it or Hold Ground would probably reduce the effectiveness of the skills.. as most people know the weaknesses of these skills and as soon as they heard that call would immediately try to work around them.. Where as right now the Warrior can usually stall someone out for at least 10-30 seconds while their opponent tries to figure out what the Warrior is doing.

Information is Ammuntion.. no need to give the bad guys all the Ammo.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Personally Chris as much as I like the Rp aspect.. you are adding to much to the resists there.. Keep it simple.. Just make it a mandatory call. no if's and or buts. If you can Resist or are Immune to a call just make them call it ( or at least a call of No Effect which as my earlier post says I like better).
I thought I said that. :)

I tend to agree that a person should be able to play oppossim, which means that you should not be requierd to call resists immediatly.

If you use pary then call pary, but I can see things like sleep being delayed.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Yes, but once you make one exception, others start to come up.. people will ask about this skill, and another skill.. and so on.. if you make a flat call with no exceptions you make a rule that covers all bases as best as possible.

As for the Sleep thing.. exactly how many times in a year does a player get slept, in a situation where playing possum will save their life.. 1-2 times..maybe.

So should we make a rule exception for something like that.. I think not.
Woden
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Woden »

Resists HAVE to be called immediately. (if a number has to used then 3 seconds is the absolute max)
If I hit you with a '30 magic' and you fall and I run away and attack someone else and you stand up 10 seconds later and say 'resist', I say 'BS'. I should know on the spot if your head exploded or not.
Also there is a HUGE difference between 'Resist Sleep' and 'Awaken' (though it might need to be edit-checked in the Palladin) in the a 'Resist' HAS to be called/used right away (exact limit tbd apparently), while 'Awaken' can be used at ANY TIME within the 'Sleep' effect. I could lay on the ground for 3 minutes while being asleep then be 'Awaken'ed and run away. It has always been my understanding that that is why the cost is 2LP not 1LP.

In any case I am for calls, resists included, always being both immediate and audible. It eliminates a)confusion b)cheese & c)exceptions
The smartest guy in the room
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I think the reason it costs 2 pts is because you can wake yourself up. You can't with normal awaken. So, a palladin waking themselves up should be able to do it at any point in the time they are asleep because it's not a resist.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

My point is awakening yourself is a worse skill than resist as it costs 2 life instead of 1.

I still think you could resist a non damageing effect like sleep, poison, or disease, anytime.
Chris
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

:roll: I really don't get it. If you want to add role play drama call the resist and continue to role play to do it any other way brings in all those things Todd listed and don't really help the game in any fashion.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Really, there is no issues with Resists and Immunities as they are now.. as for the Paladin ability.. it is neat that you can use it after you have been slept.. but as with most skills it is situational.. sometimes it will be good, sometimes not.. which in my mind makes it a good skill..

i see any skill that is useful all the time in every situation as a possible broken skill and something to be looked at.. but for now none of the resists or Immunities are as such.

And I would say one last time that all I would ask for is a new call - "No Effect" in place of Resist or Immune. Also of course make them all Mandatory, as Todd said it just helps in the long run.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Im still trying to figure out what is wrong with:

If you have resist posion/sleep you may call resist posion/sleep audibly at any time to remove the effect of posion/resist

How does this cause all kids of problem?
Chris
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i dont know either, i have always been fine with call resist if you can resist, immune if immune, parry, etc.
Woden
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Woden »

Chris wrote:Im still trying to figure out what is wrong with:
If you have resist posion/sleep you may call resist posion/sleep audibly at any time to remove the effect of posion/resist
Like I said..
If I hit you with a '30 magic' and you fall and I run away and attack someone else and you stand up 10 seconds later and say 'resist', I say 'BS'. I should know on the spot if your head exploded or not.
.. and if one of them HAS to be immediate, then they all should to avoid exceptions.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

i'm with todd.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Your problem with the delayed call is how you percieve the call.

You can look at wolverine as having "resist damage"

Yeah he gets hurt but he gets better.

Plus my example was sleep and posion not magic damage, though I dont have much of an issue with that either.

Example;

You summon forth magical fire sending it toward your apponent, his cloths burn off his body as his flash begins to melt as he crumbles to the ground. You turn to walk away and as you do so the man stands, skin reparing itself...."You will have to better than that" he says grinning. Then a shadow forms behind him sticking him through he falls over dead as Atrum says "yeah resist that witch hunter"
Chris
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

What works in movies and books doesn't always work in LARP. Yes that's much more dramatic and such but you could obviously see that happening and take appropriate action, like shanking them. It's not that I don't agree with delayed calls being more dramatic, I just think that it makes for BAD BAD LARP rules. In LARP you don't get to rely on special effects or a craftily woven description to tell you what's going on you have short concise words that are descriptors and you make up the rest in your imagination, or you just move along with the next logical step.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!