not sure if this is technically a rules question...

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

not sure if this is technically a rules question...

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

other than having a Pc demonstrate a skill/power that only a certain path/discipline has...like greater channel or dive for cover or consume brain....

is there a way...in game...to detect/research/investigate/discover if a PC has discipline X or Path Y?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Re: not sure if this is technically a rules question...

Post by Ark »

good question.

but I think the answer is no. all non-combat skills unless they state they work on a PC, don't work against PC's. and that's usually the biggest hint to if a PC has done something when your skills hit a black hole and do nothing.

that said im positive your going to wait for a GM to answer.

and with that said im against being able to learn a persons discipline by any other means other then guessing. that's personal character information and up to that character to reveal or divulge, hence why only the GM staff have character sheets.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Actually those skills have worked on pc's for three years now.
The caveat is gms dont always know where a pc is in the case of scout.
Most of those can be used to hide it's use.

As for seeing others sheets? No way. No skill can do and I wouldn't allow reaseach to either. It's too meta.

My suggestion is simple. Ask. 90% of the pc will tell you.
Travis Cole
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

cole45 wrote:Actually those skills have worked on pc's for three years now.
really? I was under the assumption that you could not scout, necropsy, etc. a PC or PVP situation?

I know things like spot and sense magic work though.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Nick
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nick »

Travis is correct. Scout, Necropsy, etc. is capable of being used on PC's, after PVP situations, etc. Though the latter I have not heard of being utilized to date. But then I don't keep my finger on the PVP pulse.
"Seek the truth. Behold the truth. Reveal the truth. That is the law and the whole of the law."
-Pious Flea, Legion/Dani
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

nope. That was changed and seems seems work.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

i wasnt speaking of seeing a PCs character sheet. I was thinking an in game situation where, for example, someone claims they are a knight, as in has the knight discipline. Is there an in game way to verify that.
I was guessing it was a no, but thought I would ask.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

There is if you are a full eater of the dead...
ollie
Town Member
Town Member

Post by ollie »

Honestly, I ignore what the disciplines and paths are named for this reason. If I claim I'm a knight and my roleplay supports the claim, chivalry and all that jazz that goes with claiming one is a knight, then there isn't really a need for it.

You can claim whatever you want about your character and not have the appropriately named discipline.
Ta'Ruk (DECEASED)
Mikklen (DECEASED)
Vilwin bin Yusef el Selah
Hitakari Tomayoshi
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Kiel Reid
There is if you are a full eater of the dead...
Thanks, that is exactly what I was asking, and I totaly missed that use. I was HOPING for a method that didnt involve perma death, so I hope I can ferret out another way. That is the kind of thing I was asking though.

ollie
Honestly, I ignore what the disciplines and paths are named for this reason. If I claim I'm a knight and my roleplay supports the claim, chivalry and all that jazz that goes with claiming one is a knight, then there isn't really a need for it.

You can claim whatever you want about your character and not have the appropriately named discipline.

I cant say I agree. A PC can say they are whatever they want to say in game, but if they do not have the skills to back it up, then they are just lying.
a Knight with no skills in combat, isnt a knight...he is just a stand up guy. a mage with no magical talent is just a fraud.
On top of that, what prompted the post was Kaylan looking to fill certains duties with PCs skilled in a specific way. I was looking to see if there was a way he could verify what the PCs he selects from say, is the truth. some skills can be demonstrated...like resist fear and crush and vorpal, but skills such as vigor and determination are harder to test without attacking a PC, and for things like Vigor there isnt an in game way to prove that since there are so many ways to get to a certain LP total.
so...that.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

my recommendation if you want to have people do a job, test them in game. fight them or what have you, spar, etc.

NPC's have done things like this as tests (we had to pass a test to work with the pirates in WH)

personally in the circle I am a part of we have quite a few tests and requirements based on individual build requirements, duo requirements, and group requirements as well as some out of game tests and general rules we must abide by at all times.

that said, fight em, if they don't meet requirements then there you go.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

You can still come back from having your heart eaten. You just have to draw 4 additional chips during the resurrection process.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

issue is Ark, what if Kaylan is looking for non combat skills. Even combat skills can always be detected outright in combat.

uhm...Kiel....im not sure that would go over well on the employement poster..." we must eat your heart and ressurect you several times to test your skills, if you survivie the job is yours!"

lol
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

it would certainly go to sow how much they want the job though.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

It would certainly help you get to the "heart" of the matter.

Lol!

I kill myself!!!