Moderator: Admin

Kertum Lightsworn
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

New to Larping!

Post by Kertum Lightsworn »

I will post this here since I cant get an answer anywhere else I guess,

Hey guys,

I would like to start off by introducing myself. My name is Elijah Lutzke I am 15 years of age, and I live in Battle Creek. I have been playing D&D for a long while now and have always been a bit of a fantasy/medieval freak.

I am very excited that I have finally found a LARP'ing group that is near where I live.

I would like to be some type of elf/dark elf thief/rougue. I am already starting to make peices for my character I will be using. My mother also made me a nice cloak which I think will be very nice in my costume.

I just kind of wanted to come on here and ask for some tips and tricks for my first LARP'ing session. A few questions as well, What are some things that I could make for my costume? Some things I could have dangling off my belt, (IE: Pouch etc.)? What are some things you guys know how to make that you could maybe post on here so I could make it aswell, Thanks alot. Looking forward to spending my time making my costume!

PS: Is there an age limit?

PSS: How much is it? Thanks!

Also, how do I get into it?
"Being showered in your enemies bloodshed is a sure sign of revenge."
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

Hi Elijah! I'm Taki, and I've been playing Final Haven for about 8 1/2 years. I too started out with fantasy table-top games and was happy to find a group as fun and welcoming as Final Haven has been.

It sounds like you've got a good start on your garb, and while it's nice to have a bunch of accessories, it is not necessary. Most of us have a pouch or two for coins and tags, but some people have nice sword frogs (sheaths or holders), belt-hangers and the like. Most of these items don't have a specific pattern, so what I've done is look at items being offered online and at Ren-faires and re-created them as best I can.

Making a elf/dark elf thief/rogue is pretty easy in our rule system. You can check out the rulebook by following the link on the left side main FH page.

The age limit for our game is 18, but there has been a chapter called Spring Haven that has been meeting for those under 18. Send a Private Message to "Ark" for more info on Spring Haven. You can also talk to our head GM "Ovak Stonecrusher" about the age policy.

Events normally cost $30 for the whole weekend. You'll need to bring bedding and food, though sometimes there is food available in-game from the Inn or through a player-organized meal plan.

Getting involved is easy, all you have to do is show up! While it might be a couple years before I see you on the field myself, I hope you're able to join us in Phanterra and experience life in the Final Haven!

Best,
-Taki
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Also, unless things have changed, your first event is free, so that might help as well.
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Kertum Lightsworn
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thank you guy's for replying to my post. I had posted the same thing to the "General Discussion" boards but I hadnt gotten a reply. I have messaged the GM and hopefully will be talking to him about the Age, Thank you!
Kertum Lightsworn
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Also! Where can I read the rules? When I click the link to read the rules it says that the Domain is up for sale, and I cannot read them. Also, How can I change my Username? Thanks again.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

This is the link to our sister site, Winter Haven. They are a offshoot chapter that uses the same rules but in a setting across the world (Phanterra) from Final Haven.

http://www.winterhavenlarp.com/

Check the sidebar of links to the left under "rules".

There you'll find the 'basic rulebook' and an expansion to the basic rules called "Heroes and Villains".

(Mostly the expansion is a set of skills that can replace some of the the ones from the main rules, but a newbie really only needs to worry about the main rules to get a gist of the game.)

Ovak Stonecrusher (Mike the GM) can change your profile, but it's really not a big issue. Alot of people just go by the avatar in their profile, and if he/she dies, they put in a new one.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I will let Mike answer the age thing I will call him tomorrow as he has been busy. Sorry I think I saw your post but when I saw the username I didn't read it carefully and thought it was a bot LOL.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

also of note SH finished up last year with a bang. as most of our base was nearing the age to play FH/WH. so we pass em off to you guys and say have fun with em, we sure did ^_^

Ark -former Spring Haven head GM
Kertum Lightsworn
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hey guys, Thanks a lot for the fast answers!

Marcus - I went there but it does indeed say that you must be 18 years of age or older, and I am 15 years old. Would I still be able to join that event? Is it just a maturity issue? Korrigan said I should try to join the "Spring Haven" event since I am under that age of 18.

GM Chris - Hehe, sorry it was supposed to be like "Elijah S Lutzke" But realized that it does spell out "Elijah slutzke". I have messaged Ovak asking if I may join the 18+ event because I would not like to play events with little kids running about acting immature, but I do not know how the kids act, so I would be wrong for me to say that.

Sorry for all the questions, just anxious to join!

:lol:
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Ovak the awesome, Jared, and I will discuss about the age thing.

The reason for the 18 years and older is due to a combination of chance of injury, our liability, and some mature content that appears at the game.

Then again Ovak started playing CARPS before he was 18 :) so we will discuss please expect a couple days.
Chris
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I'll talk with Chris and Jared and get back to you in the near future. Marcus was referring you to the Winterhaven site because they have an active link to the rulebook. You can get to the rule book from our site too. It's just a couple of steps instead of one. If from the main page you click on buy a hard copy, that will take you to lulu. There you can download the rule book and the expansion for free.

Ark's message may not have been as clear as necessary. I am almost positive that Spring Haven will not be running any more events because all of their players have reached the age where they can participate in FH/WH.

Hope that helps and we'll be in contact.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I would like to point out that I have a much higher post count than Mike.
Chris
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

That may be true, but...
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

...not...
GM-Mike
GM