Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Super Dwarf Monk

Post by Kalphoenix »

Did this ever get looked at again?:

"Dwarf
Level 1: Determination
This skill allows the Dwarf to stay conscious when they have fewer than one life point remaining (see death and dying). Through this skill, the dwarf can crawl, speak in a whisper, and drink potions; however, they cannot wield a weapon, use any skills, or defend against any killing blows.

If the dwarf has determination twice, then they are not considered incapacitated until they bleed out while in Critical Life. They may also stop a Killing Blow while in Critical Life. "

Can a dwarf with double determination still fight for damage at 0 life? Can a dwarf monk essentually not die since they can resist killing blows AND meditate?
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

Probably not because...
Monks in meditation are aware of their surroundings, will be detected as dead by all means of detection, and can choose to speak, but cannot move.
So pretty much once they enter the meditative state they can't do anything. But in the time before that they can.

Example

Bob has a bleed out time of 2 minutes. Tom comes by before Bob meditates and tries to slit his throat. Since Bob has Determination twice he resists resist. Later Bob enters the meditative state because his bleed out time is almost up. Tom comes back, slits Bob's throat and Bob is unable to stop Tom because Bob is unable to move.

Just my theory...
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Having Determination twice now does this -

"If a character has Determination twice they may now Avoid a killing blow."

As for a Dwarf Monk with this - I would say that a Monk would have to come out of Meditation to stop the Killing Blow, so if they have Bleed time left they could stop it, but in the long run if someone really wanted to Killing blow someone they are going to do it unless stopped by an outside source. (my two cents)..
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I just found that. I also would assume that "cannot move" means cannot perform an action. The wording leads me to believe that avoiding a killing blow is an action, and not a passive. Thanks!
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Speaking as the only Dwarf warrior monk in game... If it were an active action then you couldn't do it in the negatives, so what would be the point of the skill?

I know how I would play it. It doesn't cost anything to exit and reenter meditation so i would pop out, counter the killing blow, and then reenter meditation.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

I guess the big question here might be...

Once you have entered the "Medatative State" how do you exit it? Do you have to be in the positive or can you flip it on and off like a switch?
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Why not?

There is no cost, count, cooldown, reload, or anything. Just says while down you do not bleed to death and how long healing takes, it states you are aware of yourself and surroundings, and it can be used in the negatives definitively.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Morgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgan »

Meditate is a timed skill and can be interrupted. It activates when the character is in the negatives. If the character were to interrupt their own 'charge time' to prevent a deathblow, then as soon as the action was complete they would begin meditating again.

If the character dealing the deathblow repeatedly tried to give deathblows, I would say that the character in meditate would eventually bleed out, though it would take an exceptionally long time. Essentially, the defending character could remain in meditate for four out of the five seconds it takes to deliver the killing blow, interrupt the killing blow (costing them one second of bleed out time), and then re-enter meditate.

In this situation, meditate would essentially extend the bleed out time of a character by four times or less, depending on the situation.
Morgan Cyprian
Dwarf-Brother
Valken-kin
Gloom Bane
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

since the wording says you can't slit, you can however remove the head, as well a few other things to keep them from using their skills.
Travis Cole