Upkeep question

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Upkeep question

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

If an old player comes onto the field playing a 0 level character do they still get their upkeep free for that event? What if it's a new player that has been an NPC for a while comes in at 8th level? Thanks!
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Hmmm, I don't seem to recall upkeep being free for a new player or a new character, I'm sure someone can remind me though if this is the case...although I seem to recall new players getting a free rewrite, as long as they use in within their first three events. I'm sure one of the FH GMs will be able to comment though.
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

From the rulebook
Final Haven has an upkeep system for all equipment and even for characters, see pages 68 and
80. All new players will receive a buffer of 1 event where they will not need upkeep for any of
their items or their person.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

That rule is for people new to the game to give them one less thing to think about. All of your above examples would be expected to pay upkeep
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

When your First Event isn't necessarily your First Event

Post by Torakhan »

Francesco DeLemuerte wrote:If an old player comes onto the field playing a 0 level character do they still get their upkeep free for that event? What if it's a new player that has been an NPC for a while comes in at 8th level? Thanks!

From the rulebook
Final Haven has an upkeep system for all equipment and even for characters, see pages 68 and 80. All new players will receive a buffer of 1 event where they will not need upkeep for any of their items or their person.
Ovak Stonecrusher wrote:That rule is for people new to the game to give them one less thing to think about. All of your above examples would be expected to pay upkeep
Obviously an "old player" coming back to the game would no longer be considered a "new player" and therefore doesn't count for the "no upkeep your first event" rule.
But would someone who has only ever NPCd be expected to pay upkeep their first PC'd event? Technically, it would be their first event playing.

Also, would they have to pay for that first played event?

Example:
If Bob has been NPCing at "X Haven" for 1 year and wants to play "Y Haven" as a PC, does his first event and playing an 8th level character at "Y Haven" have to pay upkeep, and is his event free?

My guess is that these points could be discussed with the GMs at or before check-in, and answers may vary based on what game it was (Final Haven or Winter Haven) and perhaps by the circumstances of the player in question's joining the game.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

we always give people a free event, even if they've NPCd before.