Later that night...

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

Later that night...

Post by GM-Mike »

(OOG: I'm splitting to a new thread that will occur later in the evening when the group scouts. You can still role play in the other thread earlier in the evening if you wanted to continue chatting amongst yourselves)

At third watch, the scout group is woken, and they quickly gather thier essentials and head in the predicted direction of the other travelers. The fresh, crisp air of the night quickly wipes away any grogginess, allowing everyone to be fully alert, vigilant. As is by now expected, several times, Mortimer stops and hushes the group as he listens to sounds no one else seems to notice, and sniffs the wind for scents all others are unaware of. It is difficult not to wonder if he sees, smells, and hears things that are simply not there.

After quite a length of time, Mortimer seems satisfied that the other group has either fallen behind or changed directions. Still, he leads the group further, up a relative incline and perches atop, studying the landscape as best he can. A few moments pass, the wind blowing in his face, he points straight ahead. "They're still back there, though further behind than they were."

It takes a while to see what Mortimer is pointing at, as the area is difficult to see at this hour of night, but eventually as the eyes adjust, the wind itself can clearly be seen, a grayish flow through the distant trees that can only be smoke from a recently fizzled campfire.

"Should we investigate further?"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

"You suspect they are the same group you discovered last night?"
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

"The trajectory is the same. They're a little further behind than last night, which would be expected, but they've kept a very good pace, like they know the land."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“Local hunters or bandits, perhaps, following our tracks out of concern or seeking prey. Regardless who they are and though we can likely remain ahead of them, the fact they are following us makes further investigation prudent. I suggest two of us go in for a closer look while the others hang back well out of sight. If there is a problem, the rear group can go for help. As I am far from stealthy, I ought to be one of the latter group. As our guide Mortimer should not be unduly risked, I believe he should remain behind, as well."
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

"I may not be stealthy, but this is what I do."

He looks at the others

"The question being, do we walk into camp and announce ourselves? Or do we spy from a distance? I, personally, prefer the former."

He takes a breath as though to speak, but hesitates for a moment before speaking again.

"I am curious as to why, if they were following us for ill purpose, would they not mask their approach? Granted we would have never noticed them if Mortimer hadn't alerted us to their presence, but it seems illogical for them to follow without seeming to care whether we saw them or not."
Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

*Azra nods to Malachi*

I'm in favor of announcing our presence as well. For all they know, if just you and I approach, they wouldn't even associate us with the others. We could just be two travelers. If we approach them slowly, we may be able to get an idea of what kind of people they are before they notice us, and if they seem dangerous, we may have enough time to change our minds about showing ourselves...
Azra Celevares
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Robert seems deep in thought listening to the group talk, finally Robert speaks up.

"This area is not known to be travelled by anything civilized." lookin at mortimer "I believe this is why mortimer has choosen this road"

"The choice before us is simple. We must see who this group is, but it is easy enough to approach with caution, scout who these people are, and then if the need is prudent, introduce ourselves."

Robert looks again at Mortimer obviously waiting for his oppionion.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

"I agree. I am fine with sending in Azra and Malachi as spokesmen if we decide to introduce ourselves. If it looks dangerous before they get close, of course fall back, and if it looks dangerous later, we will be ready to get them out if need be. Is everyone agreed, then?"
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Daine has been quiet while the scouting was being planned, but he speaks up when Robert asks for aggreement.

"Yeah, I think it's the best thing to do, especially if Mortimer's thoughts on the area are right."

*Turns to Azra and Malachi*

"You two should have a signal for the rest of us if things get sticky."
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

"Screaming for help oughtta do it," Mortimer wryly replies.
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi chuckles at Mortimer's response, then stops abruptly and looks at the people around him.

"Robert, I don't mean to question your reasoning for coming to scout this group with us, but do you trust that your men can keep those few we left at camp under control? I mean, considering whom we left behind."

He looks at the others, waiting for the realization to dawn on them.

"I'm ready whenever you are, Azra."
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

*Azra glances towards the strange campfire for a moment, then looks back in the direction of the camp they had left behind, and takes a deep breath before nodding to Malachi.*

I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

*She takes a couple steps away from the others and in the direction of the smoke, before turning to make sure that Malachi is right behind*
Azra Celevares
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi walks with Azra
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Soft, tentative steps lead Malachi and Azra as soundlessly as possible toward the smoke. The night and haze is a bit disorienting, and thus the walk is much further than orignially believed. As they move closer, the unmistakable sounds of sleep can be heard. Closer still and distinct shapes can be seen. As far as they can tell from this distance, it appears that all but one sleep while the other is shaving wood with a knife, preparing it perhaps for use. Focused on his work, he does not yet appear to have noticed his visitors...
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

With a nod to Azra, Malachi begins walking towards camp. When he gets nearer, he announces himself loud enough to be heard by those awake, but not so loud as to wake the sleeping members.

"Hail to the camp, friends. Might there be room at your fire for two friendly and tired faces? We have some food and drink to share, but it's nothing exceptional."

He brings his arms up in an open gesture as a sign of peace, smiles, and waits for a reply.
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith