Of Laws

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Of Laws

Post by Robin »

Robin enters the Inn looking a little on the tired side and nails a parchment to the door.

"Our Laws, mates. Learn 'em, love 'em, and live by 'em." She smiles wryly. "They're very simple, so I want no complaining. If you do have an issue, or need any clairification, lemme know. I enjoy a good descourse."

With that she takes a seat at the bar with her wineglass and waits for any questions.

The Laws of the Final Haven

These laws are the mandates of social order for the citizens of Haven, the surrounding territories, and anyone traveling through the Haven or its territories.

1. No person shall plot or execute the murder of another.
2. No person shall take the personal property of another.
3. No person shall enter unlawfully the home, hall, or living space of another.
4. All persons have the right to invoke Challenge.
5. All persons have the right to request a trial by the Council.

Explanations of the Law:
1. No person shall plot or execute the murder of another.
This means that if you are found or suspected of plotting the murder of another member of Haven, or if you are suspected of slaying another person, you may be brought up on charges before the Magistrate. The Accuser must go before the Magistrate and Constable present their charges, and either invoke the right of Challenge, or request that the accused be brought in and put on trial by the Council.

2. No person shall take the personal property of another.
You may not, without permission, take the property of another person. If you do, they may go before the Constable and request that their property be returned. In the event that said property was misplaced and the accused did not know to whom it belonged, no penalty will be incurred. In the same manner, if more than one month has passed before the owner makes claim upon their property, their rights are forfeit and the accused may keep said property. If conflict persists, then a trial may be requested, or the right of Challenge may be invoked by the accuser.

3. No person shall enter unlawfully the home, hall, or living space of another.
It is unlawful to enter into the Hall, home, or living space of another person without permission. If such trespassing should occur, the accuser may go before the Magistrate and Constable and request either a trial by Council, or invoke the right of Challenge.

4. All persons have the right to invoke Challenge.
If a crime against honor, the breaking of a town law, or a matter of a personal nature should take place, any person has the right to go before the Magistrate and Constable and invoke the right of Challenge. To invoke Challenge means that you suspect someone of wrongdoing, either against yourself, your Guild, House, or Family. From a broken promise to a stolen dagger, any matter of perceived betrayal or law breaking may be met with Challenge. Once the Challenge has been brought before the Constable and Magistrate, they will confer with the Elder and the three will decide if there is merit for the claim. If sufficient proof is brought forth, then the Constable and Magistrate will accompany the accuser to issue the Challenge to the accused. At that point, the accused may decide what form the Challenge will take. Martial combat, a battle of lore, wits, riddles, even a card game; the Challenge may take ANY form chosen by the accused. The terms of the Challenge are then set. Both parties then have one day to find a Champion, or meet the Challenge themselves. All Challenges must be met and resolved within one day of being issued. Once the Challenge is resolved, and a victor determined, the matter is considered closed and no mention of it is to be made ever again. A person may only be Challenged by one person at a time, and may only be Challenged about any one issue once.

5. All persons have the right to request a trial by Council.
As with the right of Challenge, anyone may accuse any other person of wrongdoing, from a broken promise, to infidelity. They then bring their charges before the Magistrate, Constable, and Elder, who determine if there are grounds enough for a trial. If sufficient cause is found, then a trial by Council will take place. Both the Accused and Accuser may appoint council in their defense or prosecution. Then both sides will present their case before the Council, who shall serve as Jurors. The Magistrate shall stand as moderator, and along with the Constable shall decide punishment. Once both prosecution and defense have said their peace, the council shall meet and decide their verdict. Punishment or dismissal will follow thereafter. No person may be tried for the same crime more than once. The verdict of the Council is final and binding.

Council Structure:
The Council of Haven shall consist of these persons:
1. Each House may appoint one person to sit on the Council and stand as their voice. In the event that there are less than two Houses, then each Guild may have one representative on the Council to represent their interests.
2. The Elder- This person is in charge of all Civil matters in Haven. The issuing of deeds, the census, serving as Head of the Council, appropriations of communal goods and services, trade, and all other Civil duties fall to the Elder.
3. The Constable- This person is the military leader of the town. They are in charge of seeing to the defenses of the town and its territories, the organization of troops, and leadership in times of conflict. The Constable has the right to conscript troops, according to their skills, to serve in time of dire need. All Military matters fall under the Constable.
4. The Magistrate- This person is the legal leader of the town. It is their duty to keep a log of all town council meetings and all legal proceedings. The Magistrate may be called upon to settle disputes if requested, or clarify any points of law. They act as moderator during trials, and supervise Challenges for fairness. All matters of Law fall to the Magistrate.

• Legislation may be proposed by any member of the Council, and passed with a majority vote.
• Guilds and Houses are responsible for deciding who they wish to sit for them on the Council.
• The Elder, Magistrate, and Constable are voted upon by the Council and approved with a majority vote. They may be removed in the same way.
• The Elder, Magistrate, and Constable may be in a House or Guild. However, if they are perceived to be making one sided decisions, the other two may veto them on said issue.
• The Council is considered the Highest Authority, and is responsible for seeing to the public welfare.
"Is misery made beautiful, right before our eyes?
Will mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?"
Azzedar
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Azzedar »

Hmm, I'm willing to bet I can break at least 3 of those in no time flat. Any takers? Anyone think they can break more... I wanna see ya try.
In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

Robin eyed the unfamiliar fellow keenly, her jade eyes holding amusement and interest. "Well any of us could, mate. I myself have not always followed such a... lawful path. S' why we've so few laws."

She took a sip of her wine and smiled sweetly. "I'd advise ye not to go a breakin' 'em though... The Constable n' I er not the most... lenient of folks. Ye go about causing a fuss with the town's folk 'n there'll be trouble."

She raised her glass to him in toast, still smiling.
Onyksi Rin'oviryn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onyksi Rin'oviryn »

Those being the first words out of your mouth in a strange new place is not the best way to win the favor of your peers. In fact, based on that comment, I'd be extremely careful to watch your mouth, and your back, if I were you.
Let me be the one you need, I shall be the one you feed. All I am and all you see, is all I will and ever be.

Onyksi del Rin'oviryn
"Nuk"
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

*Laughs*

"I am nearly certain that the newcomer's quips were meant in jest, ladies. I doubt seriously that anyone would so openly flaunt lawlessness around the two of you. Every one knows by now that the only things more dangerous than the monsters in Final Haven are the women..."

*Smiling broadly, Donovan raises his glass to Nuk and Robin*

:lol:
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

Excuse my inexperience in this town for I am not accustomed to such laws, but I do have a question. Actually I believe I have several questions.

Who is the constable?

Who is the town elder?

Who is in charge of seeing to the wellfare of the local peasants?

Does the town have a communal fund for times of need when things are in short supply and people may starve. Or perhaps for in times of dire straits such as a goblin army invading the town?

*Lao quietly awaits the answer to his questions*
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

At Donovan's quip Robin laughed heartily. "Indeed, my friend, indeed. Especially when one of those women is a Dark Elf," she gave Nuk a wink.

When Lao turned her attention back to the business at hand, Robin pondered his questions. "Well... the constable is our good Roland Nightshade. He's got the support of all the Guilds and such, and is unaffiliated like myself. He's a good man, and with the Town Guard I think all will be well."

She inclined her head toward Donovan. "E's the Elder. The Orc's I think still have an issue with that, but he's the very best man for the job." She smiled warmly at the leader of the Phoenix Guild. "As the Elder it is his job to see to all civil matters, which includes the wellfare of the villagers. I try to help with that as much as I can too, as it's a big job."

"At present we have no communal fund because the villagers are doing well. If anyone has any need, they may come to the council and we'll see to what they need. I don't like the idea of a town treasury yet, because life is still so chaotic. When everyone's just trying to make it, I don't like the idea of taxing 'em. Perhaps a voluntary donation could be proposed, however. As you've seen, when people are in need, everyone pretty much bands together to help out. It's what we have to do... what makes us a town."

She gave him a soft smile. "Good questions, all, though. Did I pretty much cover everything?"
Azzedar
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Azzedar »

*sigh* Seems folks in these parts have lil to no sense of humor. If'n I find an extra one I'll make sure to share it with youse.

I'm sure such laws will work just fine as me an the dark lady both know they require the culprit to be caught or at the least suspected... sumthin true pros never allow. *wink*

But yes for the moment I must say they are as solid and steadfast laws as I've ever seen, tried and true in most any land of ages past. Besides, I fear my long trek and lack of sophisticated company may have dulled my skills a bit. Which means practicing before the big event!

*laughs to himself and sips from his tankard*

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

In a moment of complete abandon, Robin did not restrain herself from uttering the first comeback that came to her sick, sea Captain's mind. "Oh I have a sense of humor, mate. You should see some of the fallas I've taken to bed." She grinned mischeviously and laughed, giving him a playful wink. "I'm an easy going lass, so long as you leave your hands off my wine. I was only teasing you before."

"As for the laws themselves, I think they'll work just fine. They're basic, which works best in a land where not everyone is educated or can read. Besides, it seems to me the complexity of laws and who gets what is what brought us to where we are now. I'm not in any hurry to travel down that road again, mate."

She sighed, but still seemed of high spirits. "Change is in the air... I think it's going to be an interesting week. If we all live through it, that is." Her smile said she was joking... her eyes said that she was serious. "You'd best find someone to take you under their sails, mate, cause life here's a bit on the... adventurious side. I can show you 'bout if yer needing."
Azzedar
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Azzedar »

*Looking at Robin with a steely gaze... upper lip twitching slightly.... no longer able to restrain the growing smile he throws back his head in a fit of laughter!*

"Now thats funny! See now if everyone could just laugh a lil bit more at themselves and the world around them I think this would be a much easier place to live in. Everyones always so tense and worrying about who took their crossbow, why is there a body in the woods, and dear god did I really sleep with so-and-so. They seems to forget to lighten up and laugh at serious subjects to make them more bearable.
My hats off to you Robin for proving your sense of humor is still intact, maladjusted maybe, but intact. Allow me to purchase the next round, hmm?"

Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

It was her turn to laugh. "And what kind of rogue would I be if I accepted a drink from a stranger's hand, eh? But seeing as it's Atrum's fine brew, I'll take ya up on it. Mind ye, though... I can drink quite a fair ammount despite my small size." She took the offered tankard and raised it in toast.

"Here's to Seafarers who the Creator's have made mad: for our battles are all merry and our songs are all sad." With that she drank the entire thing in one draft, slamming it back down, empty, upon the table.

She returned to his pervious line of conversation. "You'll find most are pretty easy going about here... so long as ye nae challenge their honor. That can be a touchy one..." She gave Donovan a wink. "I remember one lad who could'nae hold his tongue last month and it nearly brought the town to open war in the light of the dawn. Messy business, that. But all's well now.... though he n'er did appologize to me after all that." She laughed.
Onyksi Rin'oviryn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onyksi Rin'oviryn »

Nuk raises the hood of her cloak a bit and eyes the stranger. "Indeed it shows just how long you have been lacking more... refined companionship. Perhaps our fine Elder could teach you a lesson in tact."

She takes a slow sip of her wine and grows more intense.

"We'll see just how much humor you have when you are looking Death herself in the eyes."

Nuk shifts her gaze over to Robin and grins. "Of course you were only teasing, darling. You are a tease."

"Dangerous. How could such beauty and grace ever be dangerous?"
Let me be the one you need, I shall be the one you feed. All I am and all you see, is all I will and ever be.

Onyksi del Rin'oviryn
"Nuk"
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

*Meets Nuk's eyes with his own, a slight smile upon his face*

"Such beauty and grace are the danger, Milady. Riches and glory can be found anywhere, and as such the darker sorts of men are not threatened by either grace or beauty. It is good men, those over whom greed and ambition have little sway, that are endangered by grace and beauty. A foul man will kill to gain gold, but a virtuous man will die to defend a lady who he scarcely knows."

*Takes a drink of his wine*

"Besides, you said it yourself. Even Death is a lady who comes to claim us. Dangerous? Yes, indeed..."

*He pauses, his smile turning puckish*

"...but not an unwelcome danger by any means."
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*A woman dressed in nicely crafted light black leather armor walks in. She has two shortsword sheathed neatly on her right side and a black pouch over her shoulder on the left. She smiles at those gathered looking them all directly in the eyes politely*

I was wondering if you could...point me in the direction of who owns the pretty building? Word has it loves that he was looking for someone to possibly repair a big hole he had.

*The woman stands there and awaits a reply.*
Last edited by Kidwynn on Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

*Steps in*

*Appears a bit startled by a buncha paper hanging on the door*

*Squints and looks at it with his nose almost pressed to it*

Hmmm.

*Moves his nose back and forth across the parchment*

*The parchment appears to have some wet streaks on it*

Hmmmmmm.

*After having moved back and forth across the first few lines, Ug takes the parchment off the wall and steps out of the Inn with the paper pressed to his face, moving it back and forth*

Hmmmm

*Ug exits*