Later that night...

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

*Azra follows closely behind Malachi, and after Malachi announces the two of them, she too smiles broadly at the camp before them.*
Azra Celevares
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The one man awake is startled by the announement as he clearly never heard the two approach. He immediately grabs his short sword and, in a nervous voice, says, "Who goes?"

Before either responds, his eyes focus on the two visitors, he squints, and says, "Oh yes, of course, sit, enjoy what's left of the fire, though it's more smoke than anything by now. Where's the rest of your group?"
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi moves to the fire to warm his hands and sighs contentedly

"You know, even though it's getting warmer by the day, the nights still chill to the bone."

He turns to look at the watchman

"My name is Malachi, and my companion here is the lovely Azra. As for the rest, they're most likely sleeping by now. Well, save our guide. We felt it better to come and introduce ourselves without putting undue stress on our friend. He's not to great with new people."

Malachi chuckles slightly

"Plus, this day in age, one can never be too careful. No offense meant, of course."

He wanders closer towards the man in an entirely non-threatening manner. He pulls out a skin and takes a swig before offering it to the man

"Now, I'll never turn down a campfire, even one that's near gone, but I have found my own way of chasing away the cold."

He looks down at the piece of wood left lying on the ground and cocks his head to the side slightly to get a better look

"You know, I've found that a knife with an inverse blade helps when you're trying to smooth out a rounded side."
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

*Upon being intoduced, Azra inclines her head slightly to the stranger.*

Pleased to meet you.

*With the man's invitation, Azra gladly moves closer to the fire, welcoming even the smallest amount of heat radiating from it. Hearing Malachi mention the incomplete carving, she looks upon it as well.*
Azra Celevares
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The man gives what could only be described as an odd look at the introductions, but then he nods and smiles at both. When Malachi talks about never being too careful, he responds with, "I suppose there was no way for you to know it was us back here."

He then places a hand on his chest and says, "Torren, and those of course are my brothers, my family."

When his carving is addressed he looks down at the piece of wood that really doesn't look like much of anything at the moment and chuckles. "I really don't know what I am doing. I just like playing with it. It passes the time and perhaps I'll pick up a trade..." His voice trails off as he stares into the smoke. "Really I was trying to make something for my mother, in case we ever found her. We lost her in the cataclysm. No one else has hope we'll find her again, but I do...you probably think it's silly, huh, a grown man yearning for his mommy."

He chuckles again, but there is a sorrow there this time, and the man shivers from a cold that cannot be cured from the most blazen of fires let alone the smoldering one before him.
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi's voice grows very soft

"I know your pain, Torren. My mother is lost to me as well."

He stares into nothingness for a moment, then clears his throat and speaks again

"Have you found any leads? Is that what brings you out here? Perhaps my friends and I can help."
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The same odd look appears on Torren's face, and when he speaks, his voice, slightly cracking at first, seems filled with nervous energy. "No, we were just out on an extended hunting trip. Slimmer and slimmer pickings out this way it seems. We're just headed home. What about you? What brings you out this way?"
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi smiles

"Suffice it to say that curiosity is enough to make even the most logical of us to take the road less traveled."

He chuckles merrily

"If you don't mind my asking, where do you call home? Maybe we'll stop by and visit sometime. I'm certain that you and your brothers have stories to rival ours!"
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

"I'm guessing our stories are rather mundane compared to yours actually. We live about a three days journey in that there direction," he says, pointing the way they all had been traveling. It seems unlikely given his vague directions, that the paths of the two groups would ever cross. "You ever need a place to rest, you and your friends are always welcome." The words feel forced and his head is bent, staring at the ground.
Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

*Azra listens to the conversation between the two men, while staring into the embers thoughtfully. When Torren speaks, her eyes flick in the direction he is pointing. She remains quiet, but her body language is very friendly in spite of her silence*
Azra Celevares
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi places his hand on Torren's shoulder and speaks in a comforting voice

"You needn't lower your eyes, friend. I am neither prince nor king. Just a simple blacksmith..."

He cocks his head to the side as to look him in the face

"...and I, for one, will never hold anything against you in this time of darkness."

He removes his hand and backs away

"I think it's time we got back. Thank you for the comfort of your fire, and the pleasure of your company."

He starts to turn to leave, but hesitates and turns back. He reaches into his pouch and withdraws the carving he had been working on. He tosses it lightly to Torren

"When next we meet, I will help you find your mother. This is my oath."

He turns to leave

"Farewell, Master Torren."
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Torren looks at the gift with a kind of strange wonder and smiles. "Thanks," he says, and as Malachi and Azra depart, they can hear him whisper to himself, "What fascinating people..."
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

On their way back to meet up with the others, Malachi looks to Azra

"Well, what do you think?"
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

*Azra looks up thoughtfully.*

Well, they seemed pretty ordinary to me. A little shy of strangers.

*She furrows her brow a bit.*

But I am curious as to how Torren knew there was more of us... Unless it was just a lucky guess..
Azra Celevares
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

He nods

"Our tracks. He never gave us a specific number, and neither did I, but he knows there's more than just us two."

He grins

"Or, he could've seen Dallid. He glows like a torch out in the dark!"

He looks to her and points

"They're over there. That was a very good catch though, Azra. Let's get to rest of them. The walk will give me time to work a few things out."
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith