3 vorpal poison knockout vs Parry

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

If there's a problem at Spring Haven of players killing other players, I guess you could try teaming up against that person and not let them charge for 35 seconds and then hit you with that weapon. Just a thought.

As I said before, I have no interest in making things even harder for the assassin. I have even less interest in making the warriors better in any way. I personally think that two people standing around relaxed and unready having a little chat and still being able to parry anything is kind of gay, but that's me.

I can tell you don't like it but my point of bringing up the way it used to be was to make you happy that at least you have the ability to block the attack with a shield or a weapon, and to let you know that if a change were to be made it would be to change it back to how it was before and not to make it so warriors can spend an event with their backs against a wall and have no fear of any melee attack at any time or to set up a scenario that they are lying on their backs resting and are still somehow immune to the assassin. Talk about gay...
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

mike you hit it, we do have one assassin in particular who likes to knock people out, and is very pleased with the rule change :lol:

Altearez dosnt like falling asleep :P
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Actually, Poison isn't a charged skill. If it was, it'd be useless due to interruption. It's a passive with a charge time. And if you can't use other skills, this is in direct contradiction to the descriptions of other skills (see Rage) that act in a similar manor. Another reason we need to label every skill.

Heh, and the Assassin change would actually make Man at Arms a useful discipline again. Half the reason I dropped it was the fact that Sleep wasn't nearly as deadly as it was. The other half was the sheer absurdity of the power that is Tribal Protector.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

actually poison is NOT passive. (Temple corrected me on this)

it doesn't interupt because it SAYS it doesn't.

as passive skill is a defined as any skill that you don't have to DO anything to use. Enchant weapon SAYS it's passive so it is.

edited to include definiations cut from book

Level 3: Utilize Poison
Assassins are adept at coating weapons in poison. Only bladed weapons (sword, dagger,
axe, arrow, spear, etc) can be coated in poison. The poison coating a weapon lasts for the
duration of combat or until the assassin sheaths or sets down the weapon. A strike from a
weapon that is coated in poison has the call “Poison” amended to it. Example: “1”
becomes “1 poison” and “1 Vorpal” becomes “1 Vorpal Poison”. It takes 1 minute to
coat a weapon with poison and a poison potion is not required to use this skill. Only the
Assassin may use a poison coated weapon. This skill can only be used to coat weapons in
poison and cannot be used to poison drinks or create poison potions.

Level 1: Enchant Weapon
The character can shroud their weapon in magic causing it to deal magical damage. To do
this the character simply needs to spend a life point. The effect lasts until the weapon is
set down or sheathed or for the duration of combat. During the duration of the skill the
character must append “Magic” to any damage calls made with that weapon. For
example: “1” becomes “1 magic” and “1 crush” becomes “1 Magic Crush”. Once the life
point is spent to activate this skill it is considered a passive skill for its duration.

Passive Skills
Passive skills are those in which a character has at all times without having to do something
special to use them. For example, the Warrior gains combat reflexes that act as armor to
represent the notion that Warriors can utilize armor better than other types of characters. It is
simply a part of who they are. Because of this fact, passive skills are always considered to be in
use and thus can be used with all other types of skills at all times.
Travis Cole
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

So am I correct in assuming that once you have coated your weapon in poison you can add poison to the rest of your strikes until the weapon leaves your hand? And that while you are using that poisoned weapon you may not use any charged or life point abilities? I'm just confirming for clarity seeing that I have heard people use "9 Vorpal Poison" and "9 Magic Vorpal Poison Knockout".

Actually the last one is just an example Travis gave in a previous post about the longest PC call he could come up with. :wink:
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Unfortunately, if that's true, only the first attack of a "X Poison" attack could be vorpal as it is. You could not use "1 vorpal poison", recharge, then use it again. You'd have to wait till combat ends or resheath your weapon and restart both. Which, from the fact that people feel level 4 Assassin changing to Sleep would weaken level 3, is not how it's being played.

If it's missing the wording for passive then it needs to be added. It was played that way for at least a year after it was changed. Most of the time I saw it was during the time Atrum was dead.

btw, Mike, I hate you. :)
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

I always thought it was passive too, but if it isn't then that's a definite minus for assassins.
"Taunt!" (that means bring it...)
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

making it passive would easily resolve some of the issues, and I don't see any major play balance problems, since as you said, i think this is how it is being played. (i didn't even KNOW until temple corrected me)

add the exact same line from enchant weapon, and your good to go.

yes, the way it worded, you can not add it to critical strikes(or any other charged /lifepoint skill) . You could add the first vorpal call, but that's it.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I always thought posion was passive
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Araris
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Araris »

I have been reading the posts and I am now confused as more imput flows in. For my clarification is it legal to use the skill utilize posion in conjunction with both the rogue ability critical strike, AND the touch of death assassin skill. [Ex: 9 vorpal poison] This is a common skill rogues often use to inflict posion dmg. Just wondering. =]
Araris Darkwell aka Matt Yettaw
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I also thought poison was passive and believe this was the intention
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Poison application was active, the intent was that once the blade was poisoned it was then passive or on the weapon. I think there was some verbage that was misplaced when the old poison rules turned into the less complicated poison rules.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

That makes sense to me. Same deal with Enchant Weapon if you have the skill twice. You take the five seconds to charge it then it is considered active. You take the minute to "charge" the poison then it is considered active until you drop or sheath the weapon. Is this how poison should be played?

Oh, and can you poison arrows? If you can do you just poison one arrow or an entire batch?
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

can we get a rule update in the rule update thread that once poison is applied it is passive?
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Araris wrote:I have been reading the posts and I am now confused as more imput flows in. For my clarification is it legal to use the skill utilize posion in conjunction with both the rogue ability critical strike, AND the touch of death assassin skill. [Ex: 9 vorpal poison] This is a common skill rogues often use to inflict posion dmg. Just wondering. =]
Yes. Once you apply poison to a weapon (perform the count), you may use any skills you could before the count.

There was a bit of confusion on this since a sentence was not copied across from enchant weapon.