Brokehill Quest: Prelude

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Dallid
Deceased

Brokehill Quest: Prelude

Post by Dallid »

Many of you may recall a trek taken along the South Road some time ago – a journey inspired by the arrival of a scroll describing a town besieged by an unnatural plague and the specters of their fallen. Though the events depicted in the scroll occurred approximately 15 years ago, we set out on the chance this town, Brokehill by name, might still stand.

After three hours of travel, we found the remains of a roadside inn compound that had not seen sentient use in at least a dozen years. Living within its cellar were creatures that had once been human, but were now mindless predators resembling ghouls.

At this point we turned back. Evidence Brokehill was indeed on the South Road was dubious at best. The Brokehill scroll was precataclysmic – even should it have survived the plague, would it have remained intact after the maelstrom? That the Inn was so long abandoned indicated no nearby settlements. Also we were far from Haven, where only a few adventurers remained to offer any defense against that which might threaten it.

But I have recently experienced a dream that compels a renewed effort to locate Brokehill. I approached Lao for help, and he has looked deep into his lore to discover Brokehill very likely does exist near the South Road, though it may be several days away.

I am setting out today to find Brokehill, and am asking for volunteers to accompany me. I do not know what will be found there, nor what might be required of us. But I believe the fates of Brokehill and Haven to be entwined. I feel this Quest may prove an urgent one.

What I do know is Brokehill’s original settlers numbered in the three hundreds. They found a ruined tower on a stony hill and settled in and around it. They farmed atop an ancient battlefield, uncovering the remains of humans and orcs as they turned the soil. They established a quarry in the hillside.

Their first harvest was bountiful, but shortly after the Plague arrived, claiming the lives of a family’s first and last born, wasting the bodies of the victims with dread efficiency. Within a single season, the Plague struck twice more, and after more than fifty had died, some tried to flee the town. However, the specters of those claimed by the Plague blocked any attempt to escape.

Again, these events occurred 15 years ago, according to the date on the scroll.

So know that we may face an unnatural disease and immaterial foes, in addition to the ghoul-like once-humans encountered on the first attempt to reach Brokehill. And on such a long journey, who knows what other challenges will confront us on the way? The surrounding lands are dangerous, which is why we know so little about them. Haven stopped sending out scouts long ago, when none of those scouts ever returned.

Still, the Quest must be done. Brokehill must be found, though we know not what we’ll face or what must be done. Those who chose to remain behind need feel no dishonor, as the Quest will take many days, and Haven needs to retain defenders.

That said, who will make this journey with me?
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Looks up from a journal book she was sketching in.*

Love, you want us to go where and do what? For what sane reason are you wanting to gain further research on this 15 yr old disease?

How nasty are these gouls that you speak of? What are the possibilities of the group going to said location from not being diseased themselves?
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

I know nothing of the current state of Brokehill - nothing of what will truely be faced should those on the Quest reach it. I can only guess at the dangers awaiting us.

But I will go regardless, because I must. I can offer no concrete reason for others to make such an extreme effort, nor take such incredible risk.

I ask only for volunteers, and will certainly not concider less of anyone remaining in Haven.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
saturnstartrek
New in Town
New in Town

I'll go

Post by saturnstartrek »

::Sikozu steps forward::

I'll go.
Welcome to the tragic kingdom, cornfields of popcorn have yet to spring open
Sethreal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sethreal »

* Sethreal looks at dallid with a mischevious smile*

"You have saved my life and the lives of my friends, I will not let you go without a warrior. Count me in."
Former captain of the Azure Shields.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Looks at Sethreal*

Well, if the other mission can wait I have a feeling you can count on both myself and Kels as well luv.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

"Trekking through the wastes to find a place infected with a magical sickness while fending off immaterial forces of evil..." Shale groaned and looked at his Phoenix brother/sister. "The journey sounds to be an annoying one, but it sounds to be a duty I'm well suited for. You can count on this witch hunter to aid you." He walks and stands behind his Lieutenant.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Dallid, I will continue this quest with you. After our encounter with the half-human atrocities on our first effort towards Brokehill, I became convinced that we must do whatever possible to ensure that the same fate does not befall any residents of our Haven.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

I have lived through a plague that destroyed tens of thousands of innocents. I will come, perhaps I will be able to remeber something of value.

(Note: if I do not post consider me to be at Corban's side.)
*Seeing 3 birdmen in the road Corbyn asks:
"Donmayo can we trust these travelers?"
-They are Avyana, of course not"
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

-Donmayo of Mahuru April 1055 PEW
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

*Glancing up from his papers at a table near the back of the room, Donovan listens to Dallid's description of the Brokehill mission.*

"Your quest seems a worthy one, Dallid, and though I cannot accompany you personally, I will be happy to provide whatever resources are needed to see it completed. Come see me after you've assembled your volunteers."
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Lambic responds

Post by Lambic »

Lambic has been watching the discussion from his seat near the door. He sets down the potion he has been inspecting and says

Dallid, I am not usually one to take on these long travels, and I am in no hurry to return to the lands beyond the Haven. However, This seems most important and I am tired of being left out (although is has been of my own volition in the past).

In other words I am with you if you will have me and if Donovan has no other need for me..[/i]
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

"Sir. Iffin yer thinkin' that me sheild and me axe may be of use I be more than a-willin' ta help put these poor souls back ta their rest"
Ignorance can be fixed...stupid you're stuck with
Rahl
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rahl »

*stepping from the shadows* If ya think that many of the Phoenix Guard are slipping away without a rogue to watch their backs you'd be sadly mistaken...

Not to mention those poor dead folks might 'ave left some valuables lying about... can't have that now can we? Count me in!!
In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Arthos

Post by Nelkie »

Dallid, you have my support and sword arm at your beck and call. I will join you on this quest.

Arthos
My Thoughts

Aaron
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Looks about at everyone assembled, standing near Kels.*

So, when are you planning on leaving Dallid luv?