A Modest Proposal (for everyone)

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

Adding to Blondie's post

holy crap those are some hardcore items most of them have. It also definitly looks as if they have a dedicated facility, because if those huts are tore down every event, then I really need to find those blueprints.

Also about the whole aspect of staying in character, the only real problem I have is when I want to ask about effects that are damage calls in game.

Example someone justs throws a 30 boom, and hits a npc. The npc is in most likelyhood DED dead, but instead of my character saying nice 30 boom, what would we call it? like a fireball? or what...thats the only real problem i have. And bear with me on this post, its late....and well im kinda dumb to begin with...
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Depends really, Amagus would probabaly throw black ooky looking magic balls, Eli would probably throw balls of white magic, Vaun would throw lightning balls and of course UG would throw fireballs. Or even just "nice boom" since boom is our own term for the channel. Chris used to hate that everyone called it boom instead of channel since day 1, but I think he's gotten over it. You can always come up with some IG way to describe a skill.

And yeah they look to be closer to SCA than any US LARP. They probably have a candlemaker, a baker and a cobbler whereas most cobblers in US LARP will also beat your head in with a warhammer or blow your face up.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Grimm
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Grimm »

Doctor Erasmus wrote:Ok, after looking at some more pics from our Swedish friends webpage... those guys are on a totally different page than us.

http://www.larp.com/galadrim/foto/lykts ... foton.html

In particular, they are carrying steel. Blunted, but still. They have children and babies crawling about on dirty hay covered floors. This is closer to the realism of the age that was mentioned earlier as opposed to our fantasy realm. Fantasy is fun, but still pretty tiring... these fellas can keep their "Larping", I'm just not that interested.
They look a lot more like reinactors than LARPERs. I mean... they have structures, and children, and live steel. It's more like reality and much less like fantasy. For myself, I'll take the fantasy, thanks. They can keep their dirty babbies.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I agree. blowing stuff up is fun. Besides, if we wanted that we'd be in the SCA. We want fantasy. We want elves and dwarves and magic. different things for different people.
Travis Cole
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Yeah, and Shale's booms are whispy and rainbow colored like on my last icon pic.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

Ok gotcha, so the channels are basically anything your character envisions them as. That makes alot more since to me now. Thanks all for clearing that up
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Yeah... just like Dragon Ball Z. All the non-named attacks may look different for flair, but in the end... you get the idea.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

There once was a time in which none amongst us would go alone into the night, when even the strongest warrior dared not venture out unguarded, when every door was opened with a weapon at the ready.

There once was a time we stood guard through the night, knowing and fearing the evils that stalked the darkness. We were vigilant, awake and aware that the hordes might come at any hour. O, and they did come.
I guess maybe im the dissenting minority, but these two points in particular hold very little appeal for me. The main reasons why I didnt start out playing final haven its first events was because of this sort of thing. Im all about keeping things as in game as possible, but the bottom line for me is that I have a fairly normal hours job. I dont want to have to stay up and keep watch, I dont want to have to sleep in my armor, I dont want to have to sleep with my sword. Its hard enough to get rest in one cabin with 25-40 people, add in these additional factors and I might as well not sleep. This has a very serious negative impact on my job the following week as I struggle to recoup from the event and my work suffers.

So while im all about eating from in period vessels and keeping the OOG talk to a minimum, if FH decides to go back to the way of uber deadly no sleep at night style of game keep in mind not everyone wants that and may have little choice but to stop playing (it sucks but paying my bills has got to come before uber deadly 5am guard detail at FH).

Obviously based upon the number of posts, I am in the minority. However, I still feel that I should provide my opinion even though it happens to differ.

Evan
Farbarian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Farbarian »

If you wanna I can give a class on makeing bowls and cups of wood. Just bring a log the size of the bowl you wanna make.
Jarl Garin
Master healer
Fear keeps you alive! Regret means your still alive.
Potion maker And Coward.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Lao wrote:Obviously based upon the number of posts, I am in the minority. However, I still feel that I should provide my opinion even though it happens to differ.

Evan
Don't worry, you're not the only one. I enjoy staying up late every once in while (maybe one night per year) but not every night at every event. I'm getting old apparently.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

How many people want a Game stop called at a certain time at night so we can discuss this type of thing in the GM forum.

I know Evan is not suggesting this type of thing, but we are a PvP game so even if we do not attack at night someone could. Also, even if we did not have PvP or attacks in the inn there could still be alot of people sitting around role-playing keeping those around them awake.

So basically I am trying to figure out how many are interested in this type of thing, assuming I am understanding the issue.

Maybe the question is not about being awake or sleep, but fear of death when you are not prepared for it.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Night Time Attacks

Post by General Maximus »

Night time attacks are fine because there are ways to avoid them in game. Yes it is hard to get sleep at the game because of the noise, the attacks, etc.., but with proper planning nobody has to stay up gaurding. I personal hate guarding and you couldn't pay me enough to do it. Some people like, others don't.

Here are a couple methods to take care of the guard duty issue.
1. Build a building in game that can be locked down and trapped
2. Create a spell that would alert one if something breaks its boundaries. Can be achieved with buzzers, tags, etc.... A ward
3. Trap enterances to the buildings, a buzz would wake most people up
4. Become a scout and sleep in your Haven
5. Leave the game during the night and come back in the morning. Get a hotel room, or head home.
6. Beat the NPC's unconious so they can't attack, my personal favorit :D (just kidding)
Indira Al'Estrella
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Nearly FREE options to aid

Post by Indira Al'Estrella »

When I first stared larping I would re-wrap my crackers and snack foods in brown paper. I just cut apart grocery bags, or used butcher paper to wrap it in. Tie it up with plain string and works great. Another thing to use, for fruit, nuts, and such....cheese cloth.

I haven't done this in years, because we haven't been preparing to go to RPing the night before in quite sometime. But I started as a poor college student too, so there are options for the destitute.

As far as costumes go...a pair of jogging pants, with the bottom elastic cut off, and a cotton tabard can't set anyone back more than a few dollars. Tabards are just a length of fabric with a neck hole cut into it. No one should be looked down upon for the quality of their costume, but minimal effort is greatly appreciated. Make-up in hot weather is hard to maintain, but appreciated too.

www.thwackugh.com has offered to do group discounts for us before. Birgitte does a good job and the clothing we bought about five years ago is just now wearing out. That's good for cotton when you're as hard on it as LARPers can be. We might want to see if she can do this for us again.
If people are interested we should start a thread.

She's been at Silver Leaf in the past, but it doesn't look like she is this year...unsure.
Take a look.
Midnight
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Midnight »

Lao wrote:
Obviously based upon the number of posts, I am in the minority. However, I still feel that I should provide my opinion even though it happens to differ.

Evan
Eric wrote:
Don't worry, you're not the only one. I enjoy staying up late every once in while (maybe one night per year) but not every night at every event. I'm getting old apparently.
Neither of you are alone. I *am* getting old, and I get cranky if I get woken up after going to bed. I also get cranky if I don't get enough sleep... it's my weekend after all! I should get to combine FUN and RELAXING.
Chris wrote:
How many people want a Game stop called at a certain time at night so we can discuss this type of thing in the GM forum.
I don't think a "game stop" is a good idea. My interpretation of game stop is "no more roleplay, everyone stop what you are doing." Perhaps the GM's could schedule a time to stop sending in new plots though. Let people discuss what is going on as they prepare for bed, and to plan ahead for the next day, etc. CARPS does this with pretty good success. Plots in progress by PCs can continue, and if the PCs want to head out to follow up on something, then they should be able to. But perhaps nothing "new" could come in.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I don't think anyone is suggesting a game stop at night, I think they are just pointing out that some of the things that some of us really liked about the game they don't.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~