Assassin: Utilize Poison (pg 61)

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

dier_cire wrote:I wasn't saying it was a one shot, just that after the first shot, the novelty of the first hit is off, it's a waste.
It would be useful if you were fighting someone who could resist poison, say a dwarf. In which case it basically allows you to do another point of damage, over and over again.
Now basically, we have four types of skills. Passive, charge-up, timed, and life point. As I understand it, you may only have one charge-up/timed/life point skill in use at any time, unless otherwise stated in the skill. If swing magic and poison are to have other skills one could use, they need to be either passive once the timed action/life point is expended (noted in the description) or they need the these skills may be used in conjunction with X skills.

Timed skills don't have a major rule tied to their use or their effects post use. Healing is obvious as it just resets things. However, spells and other things are different. Now, just from memory is the fireball type spell done casting once you have the ball in hand? If so, that would be a charge up type effect (as I've yet to see someone holding a boom and a fireball), yet the light spell is considered passive. Same skill (arcane) yet two different results once the spell is cast. Now, we have the same issue with swing magic as it's a life point skill, but yet is considered passive by most. This skill falls into the same boat. We need categories for the skills and if they change categories during or at the end of their use, that in the description.
Where would you include such skills as Craft or Alchemy that are timed but you can do multiple at a time and aren't interrupted when you get hit or whatever?
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Lambic wrote:
Peace420 wrote:Under the current rules there really is no clarification needed unless you're looking for a way to get around what the rules clearly state.
I would agree with that except that it is "1 Vorpal Poison" is refered to often. Both in the description (presented here in this thread at least) also in Wayne's discussion. This makes me think about using the Vorpal Skill, although I do know that there is at least one other way to add vorpal to a call. So I don't think it is that far off questioning it.
So if you can come up with a legal(not combining skills but maybe a vorpal weapon like say an arrow from an archer as vorpal is a passive skill) way to swing 1 vorpal poison for an entire combat with out breaking weapons then yes, it would be 1 vorpal poison for an entire combat. Even the archer would have to reapply to another arrow to shoot again.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

My point was I can understand why someone would ask, without trying to "cheese." I don't know of any special weapons that can do that, I imagine that it is possible, but have never heard of such a thing. Thus I can understand someone questioning it.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

cole45 wrote:Timed skills don't show up in the rule book. Under a strict reading, healing is a charge up skill because you have a time and a target. it is precisely this that we need clarified, along with magic weapon's usage.
Right, healing is a charge up skill, you can't move while doing it, you lose it if you're hit and while you're doing it you can't do any other charge up skill or life point skills, it works exactly like the majority of other charge up skills. Alchemy mix time, gathering time, and brew time are charge up skills that have special rules to them, sometimes referred to as timed skills by some people. My point exactly is proven by your example. Assume it is governed by the rules unless it states otherwise and not the other way around.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

See I wouldn't throw alchemy and crafting and arcane into charge-up skills. I'd say we already have a fourth type of skill for those, just its not defined as such. Timed skills. They follow their own set of rules. For arcane has anyone ever stopped from being touched (escpecially for those that require multiple arcanes)? Healing is not a charge up as you can be touched while using it and certain parts of healing require you to move and touch other people. Most of these have specfied rules governing them already so make them their own thing.

Arcane spells once cast and alchemy potions, etc once used would fall into the other three categories. Ie fireball once cast is charge up, light would be passive etc...
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Alright Erik I see your point. Since a difference isn't spelled out in the book then people should expect it to work just as the rules do spell out. That brings a up a good point about these skills than.

I don't think a GM has checked up on this discussion in a while so.... We'll let them talk amungst themselves for a while.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

arrows

Post by Nelkie »

What do people think of allowing the use of the posion skill to coat a quive of arrows if the assasin knows how to shoot a bow? This would allow an archer assasin to shoot 1 vorpal posion for the entire battle. Or should it be 1 arrow at a time?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Edited by SoCo to avoid confusing others now that he understands it.
Last edited by Eli on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The vorpal in the skill description never says the vorpal skill, It was meant to be an example of a F***ing ARROW!!!
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Well that changes it entirely. It's much more reasonable without vorpal.

No need to @#$^% we're just talking about rules.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

As for Parry is the highest lv of warrior, so… while a 3rd lv warrior can simply parry that 2 vorpal poison which btw would really be 3 vorpal (when you read the description of poison you see that when hit you’re hit by poison you loose 1 more life), everyone else is getting hit by 3 vorpal!
Please explain to me how you came to that conclusion based on the skill description of poison? I would like to tighten up the wording

Poison
When a character is hit by a poison attack that deals at least 1 damage to their life points, i.e. they have no armor points or they are hit by a "x vorpal poison" call, the character is considered to be poisoned. A character may also be poisoned by consuming a poison potion. When poisoned the character can no longer activate any charged skills or skills that use a life point until the poison is cured. In addition if the character is using such a skill it is dropped.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Sorry, just a little frustrated here.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Poison is nasty. Being able to swing it constantly for a combat without any cost is very powerful and makes assassins far more dangerous when used against pc’s.
Assasin, that word should put a little fear in a PC if they think one is coming for them, for the past 4 years it's been one spell or skill that could totally defeat the 1 trick pony. Not so much anymore and thats a good thing.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Yep...I agree with Erik.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Nope my bad, didn't double check that. I thought someone said you loose a life when hit by poison.

You have to "hit life", then you're poison, got it.

And as I said this is much better when not allowed to be used with Swashbuckler skill of Vorpal.