Captured! (Online Adventure)

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Nellie Duncan
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Captured! (Online Adventure)

Post by Nellie Duncan »

Nellie snaps out of her trance when the gargoyle sends the table flying. She makes an aborted whimper, and raises a fist to dash tears out of her eyes as she struggles to get her bearings, the noise from the sluices helping to ground her.

She follows along the conversation, even as she tucks her hands out of sight. "I can confirm the fact that the Depraved torture some to become mindlessly devoted to being one of their own, to the point of erasure of their past lives and a reorientation of their moral beliefs. Even if we find a way to negate the physical transformation caused by the metal, I doubt anyone has the means to reverse the mental trauma that has incurred to those that are now part of them."

Her countenance goes flat. "However, I suspect that there are at least some among them in the hierarchy of the Devoted that have kept their wits about them. The papers I found with Laurel's help this past year suggest that someone can at least keep orderly records, like a merchant would."

She moves over to the sled racks, taking down one labeled 'sturdy' before moving over to the puzzle. Sitting down by Morgause's side, she looks upon the puzzle with the same flat look. "I suggest that anyone who wishes to continue pick one of the sleds now. When the door opens, it'd be best not to waste time in picking one."

"My first suggestion of 5 on sun, 9 on moon, and 11 on star was due to the fact that so far there are only odd numbers on the top three so I figured only odd numbers could be used, and that would make it increase on the diagonal down to the left in somewhat of an order. Doing the number of points as you've instructed is another possibility, but ignores the candle carvings. 4 on Sun, 10 on moon, and 8 on star is another possibility, adding the candles together from the lines above it."
--Nellie Duncan
Minister of the Interior
Master Sage
Master Craftsman
Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgause »

"You are the master of puzzles here," Morgause nods at Nellie. "Let us try your logic next."

The Seer then turns to Bernie, "Wisp, is this the correct pattern? Do they look familiar? I know you can talk... please help us."

(If the first attempts that Morgause has tried to do not work... she will try lighting the candles as mentioned by Nell. In the meanwhile, she instructs her Frost Knights to ready some sleds should the sluices open. The Frost Knights each bring over a "study" sled as well as another for the Winter Witch.)
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Phinkis stands patiently near the sleds as the thinkers do their work. When the door opens and Nibenwen appears the mage tenses but slowly relaxes as she explains her situation.

"I am very sorry for all you have had to endure. It seems our goals are in alignment. We are working to get these elves out of here and stop what ever ritual Bolg is planning on. We would be glad to have your aid. In our previous encounter with Bolg he rang a bell that disable anyone in contact with that metal, our friend is still recovering. If they have another bell when we encounter them next, they may try and use it on you. I know you say that it's giving you power but if your are incapacitated, it may not matter. You must have been very strong to endure their torture for so long, something very important that keeps you going. Have you encountered any others that have done the same or maybe some depraved that may not be fully devoted? I know it is a long shot but I must ask."

Phinkis get's a puzzled look on his face a moment and then turns to Laurel. "How long ago was it that you were first captured Laurel? Have you, in your time among the depraved meet anyone else like Nibewen?"
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

Okay, the above image has four chutes instead of three, but you get the idea.

Nibenwen avoids Khorvalis’s questions, pretending not to hear, before excusing herself to go examine the candles. Laurel replies to Phinkis, however. “Oh, it was nigh 70 years ago when Alea and I were captured. We were prisoners for a few years before she and I finally made our escape attempt. We got separated on our way back to the surface, however. I made it out. She did not.” At Phinkis’s next question he is confused. “Have I met anyone like Nibenwen before?” He turns to look at the Depraved, as if for the first time. His eyes go wide, but he is interrupted by other events in the room, all happening at once.

Bernie lights the candles with his blue flame, dancing across them quickly. When Morgause tries the candles in the first suggested configuration there is a sudden sizzle of electrical current. A bolt of energy leaps off the floor shocking her (she takes a Wound). Clearly, it is the wrong answer. When she asks Bernie what she did wrong, the flame spirit merely bobs at her side. You’re not certain it can speak, at least in a language you can understand.

When Morgause tries again, simply placing one candle in the middle (moon) circle, there is the sizzle of current and another bolt strikes her (take another Wound). But, the door over the middle sluice does open! You get the impression that the middle number was indeed supposed to be “1” even if the puzzle was not solved correctly. It’ll do, though.

For now, the door is open. You don’t know for how long, though. Quickly, you each grab a sled. They are just big enough for one person each. You may either take one marked “STURDY” or “FAST.” Decide now before going further.

Selected your sled? Okay. You each head down the middle chute, one after another. Laurel tries to get Nibenwen's attention, but she quickly takes a sled and jumps down the chute too. Laurel follows after her, confused. Morgauses’ undead servants go down as well, if somewhat comically. “Mmmmm” nods one when Morgause tells it to hold on for dear life after giving it a shove.

The chute slopes down abruptly, and you pick up speed. After a moment you realize you have left the rusted metal pipe you started in, and you are now gliding through a tunnel in the ice. The main path starts to branch into a network as you head deeper down. There is a constant misty shower of ice and snow, though, that blocks your vision. You cannot see the person ahead of you or behind you. And, you cannot hear each other over the rumble of your sleds. Or is that an avalanche approaching? Either way, you get separated, and each of you must choose your path on your own. Describe your journey (As a side note, should you encounter battle here, just use the rounds I listed in the previous battle and make do as best as possible, even if all the choices don't exactly match up in this situation.).

The tunnel splits into three paths:
Go right
the tunnel spirals and spirals. Then it splits again. Go to either Tunnel 2 or Tunnel 3.
Go left
You go up, down, then up again. Then you wiz past a bunch of Depraved digging a new tunnel. They don’t have sleds, though , so you leave them far behind. Feel free to embellish what you do as you pass by. The Tunnel turns, then splits again. Go to either tunnel 3 or Tunnel 4.
Go straight
Your tunnel heads down at an incredibly steep angle. The tunnel splits again. Go to either Tunnel 1 or Tunnel 2.
Other choices you may be given:
Tunnel 1
the path levels out and opens into a room; you find yourself in an old, elven ballroom with a checkered floor! Your magic sled keeps you going. You might even interact with ghosts (feel free to embellish). A chandelier or pillar falls on you (take a WOUND) unless your sled is FAST. Exit either though the right open doorway (Tunnel 7) or the left (Tunnel 8 )
Tunnel 2
You wind narrowly back and forth between icy stalagmites. You find a scrap of cloth on one, and some article of your clothing/armor gets caught on another. Describe what you leave behind for the next person to find. Then the tunnel Splits again. Choose Tunnel 9 or Tunnel 10
Tunnel 3
Up ahead is a dead end! Can’t stop, though. You crash through a snow wall. If your sled is STURDY, you’re fine. Otherwise, take a WOUND and part of your sled breaks off. You continue into another tunnel beyond as an avalanche of snow follows you. The path splits again. Go left (Tunnel 11) or right (Tunnel 12)?
Tunnel 4
The tunnel opens out. You suddenly find yourself jumping across a large chasm. If your sled is FAST, you make it; go to Tunnel 5. If not, you fall. Go to Tunnel 6.
Tunnel 5
You land on the other side and sled through a vast frozen graveyard of bodies, Depraved and others. You spot a pile of frozen silver as you go down one hill and manage to knock 3 coins loose into your hand as you skid by. There are two ways out of here, Tunnel 11 or Tunnel 19.
Tunnel 6
you fall straight down a hole. Take a WOUND. Also, part of your sled breaks off unless it is STURDY. If it is broken and in the future you get into a fight on it, fight at -2. You continue down another icy tunnel at the bottom. It turns left, then branches. Choose Tunnel 10 or 11
Tunnel 7
You sled down a spiral staircase, then through a tilted, ruined kitchen with blue flames everywhere. Your sled catches fire. Describe what you do to put it out. Eventually, you go out through either a hole in the wall (Tunnel 14) or a hole in the floor (Tunnel 6)
Tunnel 8
you pass more ruined architecture (feel free to embellish), then dive into another ice tunnel. It splits. One tunnel heads up (Tunnel 13), another heads down (Tunnel 14)
Tunnel 9
The tunnel widens as it goes down; chunks of ice fall from the ceiling. One such chunk is actually a giant ice bat, and the creature lands right on you. Do combat rounds; use the ones from the last battle. Then the tunnel splits in two. Go left to Tunnel 16 or right to Tunnel 17
Tunnel 10
the path opens into a wide cavern. A sled approaches with several Depraved on it, and you fight side by side. Do 3 combat rounds from the last fight at -1. Then, if your sled is FAST, go to Tunnel 15, if not, go to Tunnel 13.
Tunnel 11
The tunnel becomes wide and you are attacked by a giant snow worm! Do 3 combat rounds from the last fight at -2. Then, if your sled is STURDY, it survives the encounter. Go to tunnel 17. if it is not STURDY, your sled breaks. Go to tunnel 18.
Tunnel 12
You level out and pass slowly by a frozen fountain, a relic of an ancient elven society. Its waters still flow. You may drink and heal all Wounds. Up ahead you may either go down Tunnel 19 or Tunnel 10
Tunnel 13
The following tunnel levels out, no longer going downhill or uphill, and gets very narrow. Flip a coin. Heads you make it though. If you get tails, you momentarily get stuck and your sled is permanently lodge between two rocks. You have to go the rest of the way on foot, very carefully. Either way, go to Tunnel 20.
Tunnel 14
You suddenly go downhill fast, then glide out over an underground lake covered in a thin layer of ice. If you have a FAST sled, you skim to the other side; if not, the sled stops and the ice cracks. You have to swim to the other side. Either way, go To Tunnel 20.
Tunnel 15
You and the other sled race towards an exit tunnel, but only you make it through alive. Here the path levels out and you come to a stop. There are icy walls like mirrors in a fun house. Describe how you find your way out. Then go to Tunnel 20.
Tunnel 16
You see an exit tunnel where you can escape further attack; it’s not smooth however, and many razor sharp moguls pierce the bottom of your sled. Describe your jarring journey. Take a Wound if your sled is not STURDY. Go to tunnel 20.
Tunnel 17
Your sled slows as you pass through an especially amusing tunnel. Here, Depraved have written snarky comments on the walls. Describe a few. Carve one of your own into the ice as you pass by for others to read. Proceed to tunnel 20.
Tunnel 18
You find yourself tumbling down a seemingly never ending hill without a sled, rolling over and over until you are a giant snowball. Describe everything you pick up in your wake (rocks, underground plants, animals, Depraved, weapons from a Depraved armory, etc.). Embellish as much as you wish. Do you make it out of the snowball? Do you hit something? Do you find another sled? Or just keep rolling? Then go to tunnel 20.
Tunnel 19
The tunnel does a loop de loop – clearly the Depraved had fun making these- then meshes with a metal pipe again. Here there is tons of frozen waste. The ice is black, and a poisonous miasma hangs in the air. You are ill (diseased) unless your sled is FAST. Proceed to Tunnel 20.
Tunnel 20
You tumble out into a large, cavernous area. You see that everyone else has made it here too, though perhaps by different means. Far ahead is the ruins of an ancient building set into an ice wall. If you used a FAST sled (even if it didn’t take you the whole way) you get here ahead of the others and you’ll have a chance to look around first. More details to follow in the next post. The final battle awaits!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

((Ack! I had a feeling I should have posted again last night! Ok.. catching up again :D ))

The Valkin'Vi continues pounding away at the tools paying no mind to the events around her. She is startled and looks up a moment to see the gargoyle had smashed one of the torture tables. She looks to him and smirks. She walks over to another wooden table and tries to lift it.. or push it.. but to no avail. Angrily with fists clenched, she screams at it, "AHHHHHHHHH!" upset at her defeat. She kicks the table... more out of frustration than a sincere attempt to damage it, but it does not budge. She picks up her stone again, smashing away at the tools.

((Those with keen observation skills may notice the tears on her face as she tries to destroy the tools.))

((Kami would refuse to leave the room until she has been satisfied that ALL torture devices: tables, straps, tools, etc. have been thoroughly destroyed))
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

(catching up)

Khorvalis sees Kami fly into a rage and the druid's eyes fill with concern. The fiercely passionate way that the mysterious Valkin'vi is smashing the torture tools is too disturbing for the old druid.

"I think I know now why you suffer in silence," Khorvalis whispers to himself as he hobbles to Kami across the room.

When he finally gets to the Valkin'vi, she is struggling to over turn some of the tables. Khorvalis tries to comfort Kami. He cannot stand to see the painted-faced woman in so much pain.

"Never again will these implements be used by the Depraved to torture the minds and bodies of their captives...," the old druid says in a soothing get stoic voice as his eyes meet Kami's. He then grasps his golden sun-faced medallion in one hand while waving the other high above him in some druidic ritual. Khorvalis' amulet starts to pulsate with a golden energy that soon turns a fiery crimson hue.

"As sure as the Sun rises in the East, never again!" Khorvalis shouts forcefully as reddish-gold beams of light leap from his sun-faced medallion, hitting one table, then another, and then the last green metal ingot.

Each item is engulfed by the druid's mystical flames and begins to vibrate with a deep and ominous resonance. Then, in a blinding flash of energy, the tables and metal all shatter as Khorvalis claps his hands together. (Magic Shatter)

Visibly weakened, the old man falls to his knees next to Kami but slowly, Khorvalis' vigor begins to return. As the Ga'vin picks himself up off of the floor, Khorvalis sees what looks to be the remnants of tears on the Valkin'vi's cheeks and neck.

Khorvalis compassionately extends his scarred hand to Kami to help her up. (Angie, it's up to you if Kami will accept Khorvalis' gesture of help... he'll even wipe away Kami's tears if she allows him.)

"Let us be on our way, quiet one... there are those still that need our help." The Hierophant gestures at the sleds and then to the middle chute. "Liberation shall be theirs, but time is of the essence..."

Either way... Khorvalis will next grab one of the "Fast" sleds and proceed to go down the sluice.
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Isho
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Isho »

The gargoyle storms forward and slips on a sled without even knowing it’s there. It slams forward and the ice takes the monster straight. The tunnel seems to open up in an ancient elven dance floor. Ghosts and spirits do faint spirals in the misty hall only to look just in time a gargoyle on a sled rushed by them and turns them to ice soaked clouds.
At each elven ruin the monster growls and shaking his blood soaked claws as he zips by. The sled tops out over an ice covered lake. The ice shatter s under the weight of the monster and he is plunged into an icy bath.
The edge of the frozen lake exposes as beast finally breaks free and stumbles down the tunnel.
The Witcheater
"When I am full I almost sentient. When I am hungry I am danger to everyone."
Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgause »

Morgause climbs into the sturdy sled presented to her by one of the Frost Knights. Clasping the crystal vial, she beckons to Bernie as she opens her satchel. The wisp immediately floats into the bag for protection and Morgause latches the pouch shut. She knows it will be a bumpy ride.

As the rest of her icy creations mount their sleds, the Winter Witch leans forward, causing her to slide down the tunnel. The incline is steep and dark. After plummeting for what seems like an eternity, Morgause screams as she spots a snow embankment up ahead. With no way of controlling her sled, the Seer braces herself for impact.

Amazingly, the sturdy sled plows right through the wall of snow, but a mini avalanche is created in its wake. There is a fork in the tunnel up ahead and Morgause leans to the right. She successfully maneuvers her sled down the rightmost tunnel’s sharp corner, narrowly evading the avalanche of snow behind her.

Slowly, the plane of the tunnel begins to level and the sled eventually comes to a creaking halt. Morgause and her Frost Knights find themselves in a beautiful crystal cavern with softly glowing mosses lining the floor. In the center of the cave is a fountain made of ice. Surprisingly, shimmering waters flow from the font and trickle down to a reflecting pool below. The Seer approaches the fountain and sees her reflection in the basin. She recoils upon seeing the burn marks on her face, injuries from her first botched attempts at the candle puzzle.

The Winter Witch instructs her Frost Knights to push the sleds further down the track as there is another descending tunnel beyond the font. As the automatons do her bidding, Morgause once again peers into the reflecting pool to inspect the severity of her wounds. She takes some of the water to cleanse her burns of any debris and then takes a sip of the refreshing waters. To her astonishment, the water is especially sweet and rejuvenating. A euphoric feeling comes over the Seer and Morgause feels her wounds beginning to close. As she looks at her reflection once more, the burns on her face have disappeared. Refreshed and healed, Morgause hops in her sled and continues down the track.

The sleds continue to pick up speed as they roll deeper and deeper into the earth. Morgause notices that tracks from different tunnels have begun to converge alongside her path. Then, seemingly from out of nowhere, another sled emerges from one of the adjacent tunnels. It is filled with several Depraved and they are fast approaching the Seer’s sled along a parallel track!

One of Morgause’s Frost Knights heaves an icy spear at the Depraved to defend its master but its weapon only hits the monsters’ sled. Their rickety vehicle almost jumps its track from the blow, but the Depraved manage to regain control.

Remembering her vow that no Valkin’vi would perish in these tunnels, Morgause musters enough courage to face the Depraved. Finding sure footing on her sturdy sled, she whirls her hands elegantly in front of her and unleashes a powerful wave of elemental energy. Strong winds mixed with hail and lightning strike the Depraved from afar, killing them instantly.

"You pathetic malformed creatures of the earth, you are no match for one that controls the elements!" Morgause let's out a cackle of delight before sitting back down in her sled.

For a few more seconds, Morgause and her minions continue down the tunnel, narrowly squeezing between a pair of rocks along the way. In the distance, the Valkin’vi sees what look to be ancient ruins set into a foreboding wall of ice. She is relieved to see that some of the heroes are already there inspecting the scene.
Last edited by Morgause on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

On a “fast” sled, Khorvalis heads down an incredibly steep tunnel that splits in several directions. The druid’s sled is taken down one of the chutes. He can almost see the Gargoyle in the vehicle front of him.

Khorvalis senses a strange aura within the expansive room. It appears to be a ballroom of sorts, complete with intricate checkered floors, towering pillars and dust-covered crystal chandeliers. In the shadows, the druid thinks he sees the figures of dancing men and women floating about as if they were performing a waltz. Khorvalis squints his eyes to get a better look at the apparitions, but his sled is moving way too fast. Before exiting the ballroom, one of the dusty chandeliers falls loose from the ceiling, almost hitting the venerable Ga'vin. Ghostly laughter can be heard from the waltzing figures as the chandelier shatters into thousands of pieces.

The icy tunnel continues further and what Khorvalis sees are the remnants of a long-forgotten civilization. Faded murals cover the walls of each successive cavern and impressive archways dot the recesses of the rooms. In spite of the ravages of time, the druid cannot help but marvel at the ruins along his path. Even in its deteriorating state, the architecture is still striking, albeit in a menacing and ominous way.

The steep path continues downward. As Khorvalis begins to pick up speed, he begins to see the Gargoyle’s cart ahead of him once more. Unfortunately, rock creature’s massive weight is too much for its sled and it plunges into the underground lake before them. The old druid cannot do anything to help the creature as his sled is still moving too fast. Thankfully, Khorvalis is able to direct his sled along a thin layer of ice spanning the lake. Much lighter than the Gargoyle, the old man manages to skim across the body of water.

As his sled reaches the far shore, it catches on an outcropping of rocks. The druid is thrown from his cart and tumbles down the tunnel. With but a few scratches, Khorvalis collects himself and looks back to see if the Gargoyle is okay. He fears are placated as he sees the Gargoyle swimming across the lake, effortlessly.

The Hierophant then focuses on the spectacle in front of him. Khorvalis’ eyes widen even more as he is awe-struck by the ancient ruins before him.
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Phinkis grabs a sturdy sled and heads for the chute. "Everyone who's going after Bolg let's go!"

As he takes off Phinkis realizes that he has never actually used a sled before. He's seen them used plenty of times but growing up on a rocky island that never saw a flake of snow didn't offer many chances to learn. Not knowing how to steer his sled heads down the middle. Even his sturdy sled begins to pick up speed as the incline becomes very steep. The wizard notices a split coming up and he begins to panic. He throws himself to the right side of his sled in a desperate attempt to turn. Luckily it works and the sled changes course. Unfortunately the sled also begins to spin out of control. To make matters worse the tunnel is covered in jagged icy spikes. Phinkis grabs on to the sled as tight and as close as he can. The sled bounces off the walls and off of several of the stalagmites making the sled spin even worse. At one point Phinkis looks up to see a piece of green and blue cloth hanging from one of the ice spikes. He reaches out and grabs it but just as he does, another spike grabs his sleeve and rips his tunic all the way off. Phinkis' sled fairs better than he does and eventually begins to straighten out, though he is not facing the correct direction. He almost jumps off of his sled when he hears a loud crash next to him. Ice crashes down from the ceiling, barely missing. As he looks up, Phinkis sees another large chunk of ice about to hit him. He curls into a ball and hopes for the best when he hears a loud screech over head and feels icy talons clawing at his head. He looks up again and realizes the chunk of ice he thought he saw was actually a large ice bat swooping in for an attack. He swings all the way around and strikes at the creature with his sword. The bat backs off out of range and the swing misses(Spin and Strike +1, Gear +1, Roll 4+1, Total 7). Not wanting to throw magical energy around the already collapsing tunnel, he looks around for something to throw at the bat, and decides his shoe will have to do. The bat must not have expected such an attack as it plunges to the ground to avoid the shoe. As it's focus is firmly on the shoe it doesn't realize that the sled is now headed right at it. There is a crunching sound as the sled crashes into the arctic bat(Throw your show as a distraction +4, Gear +1, Roll 4+2, Total 11). Phinkis attempts to dislodge the rest of the bat from the bottom of his sled but only manages to send the sled spinning again down a side passage. The floor to this passage is very rough and was obviously not intended for the sleds to go down. As bumpy as the ride is, it would likely be worse if there wasn't a carcass stuck to the bottom of the sled. After a short while the sled finally comes to a slow stop. Phinkis finally arrives at the large open cavern. The wizard stands and looks at his sled. It has a couple extra dings in it but it's still in fine shape. He flips it over and begins removing the few remaining chunks of ice bat from the bottom. He's missing his shirt and a shoe but he seems not to mind. He looks at everyone else who made it.

"So, that was fun. Who's ready to to do it again?"
potentiallydead
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by potentiallydead »

When the door opens, Fibble grabs a Fast sled and dives into the chute.

At the first split, he pulls to the Right. The tunnel spirals down and down before splitting again. Fibble again chooses the right hand tunnel. Oh no! There's a dead end! We're all going to die... The sled breaks through the wall but the collapsing ice smashes a chunk off of the sled and injures Fibble (WOUND). There is another split, and Fibble again chooses the right hand tunnel. The tunnel levels out as it passes and ancient Elvish fountain. The fountain is rimed with ice, but the waters still flow freely. Fibble manages to scoop out a handful of water in passing and drink it (FULL HEAL). At the next split, Fibble again chooses the right hand tunnel which opens into a wide tunnel when suddenly another sled pulls alongside, occupied by Depraved (COMBAT!).

Combat round 1: Feint - Fibble feints an attack and then strikes at the opening with his dagger, but he only strikes a glancing blow and no damage is done. (Roll: 5 -1 for sled +1 for gear +2 for Feint = 7 impasse)
Combat round 2: Lunge - Fibble lunges at the Depraved on the other sled, but the Depraved aims the sled away from Fibble's sled to evade the blow at the last second. (Roll: 7 -1 for sled +1 for gear +2 for Lunge = 9 impasse)
Combat round 3: Double Strike - Fibble lets go of the sled with his other hand and makes a daring double strike. The blows hit home, and Fibble uses the momentum of removing his blades to push him toward the fat-approaching tunnel. (Roll: 9 -1 for sled +1 for gear +3 for Double Strike = 12 Victory)

The other sled slams into the wall beside the tunnel with a sickening crunch as Fibble enters the tunnel. He soon finds himself at another level area and comes to a stop at the entrance to a sort of mirror maze. Fibble picks up the sled and enters the maze, taking every right turn. Eventually, after crossing the same intersections several times over, he finds the top to the next chute and jumps back onto his sled. The Fast sled dumps him out into a large cavern with a ruined building on the far side set or frozen into the ice wall. Seeing no one else around yet, Fibble begins looking around the area.
Choice data for Brad
{{Right - 3 - 12 - 10 (T-T-W) - 15 - 20}}
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Mahto Snowbringer »

Mahto grabs a sturdy sled and jumps toward the tunnels. Wedging the sled underneath his feet he snowboards down the center tunnel. Mahto dodges the stalagmites. He narrows his eyes and sees the tunic, looking forward he sees the naked body of the wizard. With disgust he grabs on to the shirt...n his distraction a piece of his rips off and is left behind, reveling the intricate tribal tattoos on his left arm. He curses to himself and shoves the shirt in his sack. Mahto maneuvers the sled and goes left, he crouches to gain stability on the sled. The cold air fills his lungs with pain, he pulls his scarf up around his mouth and nose. Suddenly an arrow whizzes by his ear he looks over his shoulder to see a depraved following quickly behind, Mahto's eyes dart around looking for options, seeing none he does the only thing he know how - attack.

Mahto reaches to the short sword on the back of his hip, he and the depraved eyes meet as it's sled catches up to Mahto. Suddenly, the Marine pounces vaulting from one sled to the other. Pulling out his short sword mid leap, he collides into the depraved his sword impeding itself in the creature's right shoulder. Mahto twists rapidly throwing the body off the sled and into the snow behind them. The depraved hobbles up as Mahto's sled, it leans against the wall - shouting curses as it bleeds out. The burned man turns toward the tunnel, suddenly he feels a sharp pain in his own shoulder, he reaches back and pulls out one of the depraved's arrows. He roars and looks back, but the attacked had already fallen forward - dead. (Combat - round 1, rage +5 roll: 6 = 11-1=10= Defeated). Just as Mahto praises his good luck a sled with more Depraved enters from a side passage. Fuck, the fighting never ends. Mahto rips his longsword from his back and puts in out in front of him, letting it cut at the depraved as his heavily sled passes them. Unfortunately this doesn't work and he completely missing any of the depraved that were there (got 9, don't feel like typing it out). Mahto ducks down, nearly getting his head chopped off by one of the grunts. He reaches to his boot and tugs a dagger out of the sheath on his ankle, throwing it upward at the other sled, it lodges itself neatly in one of their necks and it takes a tumble off the side of the sled. (Throw dagger +4, Circumstance -1, Roll=8, 11=defeated). Mahto's sled goes a bit in front of the other, he and depraved cross swords a few times as they race down the corridor. Mahto, being a heavy man, picks up speed.

Mahto suddenly goes flying! His rock gets stuck between to rutting rocks and the young ga'vin lands into the snow. Mahto rushes over to the sled and tries to pull it out - nothing, one thought comes to his mind - What would Zandron do? He gets under the sled and pushes up, making the sled perpendicular to the rocks instead of parallel - though it is still stuck he puts his full weight behind it. A moment passes and Mahto can here the wooshing sound of the sled approach. With a smash and whimper the depraved slams into the road block, Mahto falls forward a bit - but is uninjured. He looks down the passageway, his eyes adjusting to the dim light. He starts trudging down the passageway till he reaches the room the rest of the heroes. He jumps down into the cavern and looks for his crew. He makes vague note of Khorvalis. Then looks at disgust in the half naked wizard. He pulls out Phinkis' shirt from his bag and throws it to him, "Clothe yourself.
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
Nellie Duncan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nellie Duncan »

"And this is why I'm an information gatherer, not a puzzle master," Nellie grumbles, taking her sled and pushing off. Down the middle shoot she goes, until mist obscures everyone from each other.
First Twist
(OOC: Right into Tunnel 3)Having lost sight of her intrepid group, and the path splitting off in three ways once more, Nellie goes with her first instinct and starts to head straight, only to immediately regret the decision as she remembers how she's typically wrong 7 out of 9 times in a 50/50 chance. Quickly overcompensating, she jerks the sled towards the right, barely making it into the cavernous hole. Down and down she spirals, until she gets to another fork. In the rush of terror, she once again forgets her abysmal luck and heads to the left - where in a short bit inside of the tunnel she finds out its a dead end! Screaming her head off, she impacts with the tunnel's end, the only saving grace the sled she picked earlier being of such a design that it takes the brunt of the impact as she and the sled break through the sheet of snow and ice into a tunnel just behind it. Slightly dazed and with her heart in her mouth, Nellie continues on.
Second Twist
(OOC: Tunnel 11)The tunnel widens and as the wood beneath her slides ever onwards, a heavy weight crushes down onto her. Startled, she tries to twist around flailing her fists, barely missing the hissing thing's teeth to her shoulder, but missing her target at the same time. White prickly fur gets in her face even as she tries to shove the handle of her hammer into it's head, jerking her face out of the way of another bite. She tries to heave it off of her, only for pain to bloom in her side. Grunting, Nellie tries once more to lever the thing off, only for the thing to smack into the roof of the narrowing tunnel and to be scrapped off of the sled, revealing it to be nothing more than a giant snow worm. Gasping through the pain, Nellie flips back over and looks ahead as the sled continues to race down into the depths.

(OOC: Tunnel 11 Combat
Total 6 = (Snow Worm -2 Gear +1 Dice +5 +3 Not stopping to think, charging full ahead -1)
Total 7 = (Snow Worm -2 Gear +1 Dice +6 +1 Aim for the Head +1)
Total 4 = (Snow Worm -2 Gear +1 Dice +5 +2 Tackle It -2))
Third Twist
(OOC: Tunnel 17)The sled slows down and pretty much coasts through the next cavern. Writing on the walls immediately catches Nellie's attention. What she reads makes her snort. Realizing that the sled is going slow enough that she could stop, she adjusts it perpendicular to the course so that she can clamber off. After tying a makeshift bandage around the bleeding wound in her side, she carves a little saying of her own. Once done, she rights the sled and pushes off back down the tunnels.
Read if you take Tunnel 17.
Written along the walls are comments such as "You're going the wrong way.", "Is that all you got?", "Still going the wrong way.", "Don't tell me which way to go.", "Well, you're about to die.", and "Either way, all your tomes belong to me. --ND".
Out of the tunnels Nellie slides out into a larger cavern with an ancient ruin beyond, where she finally see the others from Brennondale. The sturdy little sled below her is still intact. As she clambers up and off, she hisses, one of her hands moving to her left side. An already red soaked bandage covers a gash, held in place by her weapons belt. "A little help please, if anyone can spare it."
--Nellie Duncan
Minister of the Interior
Master Sage
Master Craftsman
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

Khorvalis' moment of wonderment before the ancient icy ruins is abruptly ended by the arrival of his fellow Heroes. He sees the Guthrie and pats him on the head.

Then a shirtless Phinkis enters the cavern. Khorvalis is perplexed at the bare-chested wizard, "Friend, what pray tell has happened to your shirt?"
"Now is not the time to be showing off for the ladies," the druid jokes while nudging Fibble.

As he peers down one of the chutes, presumably to search for his other companions, Khorvalis can barely make out the soft blue glow of Morgause's jeweled forehead. Behind her she is followed by her icy minions.

Then the druid sees Mahto emerge from another one of the tunnels, "Ah, I'm glad you made it here in once piece! But where are the others of the Redwind?" The old Ga'vin looks around for his other crew-mates but there is no sign yet of Zandron or Gondowon.

Before the old druid can ask anymore questions, he sees Nellie enter the cave on her beat-up sled, asking for assistance. He then notices blood dripping from a wound on Nell's leg. Immediately Khorvalis rushes to the Craftswoman and heals her injury, "Thank the Sun that you were not hurt more than this, my dear. Damn those accursed Depraved!"
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind

Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Back in the puzzle room, the Valkin'Vi watches the Ga'Vin make quick work of the tools that she had spent so much time trying to smash. She watches him destroy the table with ease, the one she herself could not even budge. With everything in the room destroyed, there is nothing left for her. She turns and notices the Ga'Vin's hand extended towards her. She ignores it and brings herself to a stand and turns from him. The Ga'Vin speaks something, but she pays it no mind. All the well, he has quickly disappeared down the tunnel on one of the sleds.

As others begin grab sleds and head down the tunnel, she looks about the room at the broken bits of table and tools, some odd formation on the floor with candles, and the broken furnaces. Most of the others have left the room. She grabs one of the "Sturdy" sleds and casually follows the others.

The tunnels twist and turn as she clings to her sled. The sled veers down another tunnel. Her grasp on her sled tightens as it curves down the tunnel. A strange piece of fabric catches on her arm. She grabs it and places it under her, but in doing so, a stalagmite catches on her pant leg, and rips away the bottom section covering her right leg. Uncovered, her pale skin begins to get cold.

From another chute, another sled nears. DEPRAVED! She is alone. There is no one to take up the sword. She's on her own for this fight. She attempts to lie on her sled, to urge it faster.. hopefully to out run the other.

Round 1 (roll 3-1-1=1)
No luck, the depraved stabs her in the leg with an icy dagger. (1 wound)

She closes her eyes as a spark of energy flies from her hand into the face of the depraved.

Round 2 (roll 7 -1 +2 = 6)
Unfortunately, it misses his face, and only grazes his shoulder, burning away a bit of its tunic, but doing no real damage.

She has no weapons drawn, and can not quickly summon another burst of energy, she musters whatever courage she has, and leaps from her sled to the depraved's, in hopes of pinning it down to its sled. At least, that way, it won't be able to attack, right?

Round 2 (Roll 5 - 1 - 2 = 2)
She does not have the agility of Cirrus, and the depraved had clearly anticipated her action. The depraved grabs her and pushes her up into an oncoming stalactite which rips into her skin along her back as they race by.

Still on the sled with the depraved (Roll one die to determine if depraved's sled was fast or sturdy. Odds = fast. Evens = Sturdy. Roll = 4.)

She and the depraved slide through another chute. The stalagmites and stalactites seem to have grown in size. The depraved seems to quickly become concerned with trying to control the sled, but tries to kick the Valkin'Vi off.. who manages to cling to the sled.. the incline of the tunnel decreases and they begin to slow. Two large stalagmites make it impossible to maneuver though. The sled with the Valkin'Vi and the Depraved becomes wedged between. It's a rough stop, but they both remain on the sled (tails).

They look at each other briefly. The depraved reaches for its dagger, but the Valkin'Vi flees down the tunnel. She stumbles awkwardly often failing to find secure footing. The depraved gives chase with its ice dagger in hand.

She falls on her bottom, and slides into a large room with many others from Brennondale and surveys who has made it. She has several tears in her clothes, and her dark hair has a heavy dusting of ice and snow. She spots Phinkis, and hobbles her way over to him, putting him between herself and the tunnel from which she entered. She falls to her hands and knees. She pants for a moment, and points back to the tunnel, "Depraved," she says while gasping for breath. Her arm falls back to the ground. She closes her eyes and her hand begins to glow with a soft light.