Charm: Calm and weapon effects

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Charm: Calm and weapon effects

Post by Marcus »

I have a question about using Charm: Calm as a Healer, as I (seem) to be one of the only users of this skill.
The Healer has the ability to calm the savage beast within. Healers may spend 1 Life Point and call "Charm—Calm”. Delivery of this may be done through a weapon or packet. If affected, the target may not swing for more than 1 damage until they rest for 10 uninterrupted seconds. You must have the “Soothe” skill in order to use Calm.
It does not state whether offensive effects are lost- ala Crush, Poison, Vorpal, etc. It also doesn't say whether this skill affects only the damage from melee attacks, or also ranged attacks.

Also, does it stop the target from starting the count on a charge-up damage-causing skill until they make the 10-second negation count first, or at the very least limit those charge-up skills to 1 damage+their effect (Druid's 5 crush> 1 crush)?

Seems to me that as a Master Level skill that also requires another (largely useless in context of the other basic healer skills) basic level skill as a prereq, it would also drop the weapon effects for the required time.

Especially as without dropping such things, certain builds are completely immune to this call, such as a Swashbuckler using "Lvl4: Vorpal" or Barbarian's swinging Crush unless they also were using a Weapon Focus to swing +1.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

As it says 'swing', the effect is on melee damage. Such melee damage can not be anything other than 1 (or 0). Dealing the effect is an interruption, so any charge is lost. Any damage-increasing ability is also lost and must be reapplied after the 10 seconds of uninterrupted rest.

As this skill is worded, ranged attacks are unaffected.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Correct
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Ok. I had assumed that it was a nerf for melee attacks only, but had heard some contradictions on whether it would remove weapon effects, some saying it wouldn't. For example, a big monster swinging "5 crush" would continue to do "crush" just only at "1 crush" at a time, and I thought that was a little harsh for a Master Level skill.

GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

I personally would like to see this re-worded so that it does affect Ranged attacks, they too would be just as Calmed by the attack and should not be able to throw or shoot any harder than someone could swing.

Thoughts?
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
notsabbat
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by notsabbat »

being one of the few ranged guys at finalhaven I dont see why it woulnt. actually it seems like pretty much anything that says "swing" could just mean attack with a weapon (melee or ranged).
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

That re definition of the meaning of "swing a weapon" would cause issues with the functionaity of other skills. If a skill is intended to be usable with ranged AND melee weapons it should be worded more like taunt or disarm.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I'm not that worried about using it on a ranged guy as I would first have to get close to him/her, though with well-thrown packets I can see it being effective.

I have always intended on using it to stop NPC's from swinging things that maximize damage, like Crush and similar skills, at my comrades, and wanted to check here to make sure that was officially correct as the skill is loosely worded.

That and melee-only isn't that bad when you team up to use it to stop things from swinging more than "1" at a Warrior(s) using DM, or stopping Crush damage against a shield-using ally).

It's especially a good 'instant neutering' against anything relying on high damage to overpower a Healer.

(I just wish it didn't require Charm Soothe.)

Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

It's a mega-debuff that works on anything charmable - rendering the most powerful creatures no more harmful than a villager. Given the power of the ability, the prereq is reasonable.

Yeah, occasionally an inexperienced NPC tries to tell me he can still do Crush - I make sure to correct him.

However, a poison applied to the weapon should still work.

I think of ranged damage being representative of the shooter's skill, not his strength or ferocity. If anything, a calming effect should allow for even greater precision/concentration and increase ranged damage. :P
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We will have a clarification of "swing" soon.

Yes we will have adjusted wording to make sure there is no confusion

Thanks for the question
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

GM_Chris wrote:We will have a clarification of "swing" soon.
:lol:
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

so many meanings ...so little time...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"