Post by GM_Chris »

13 death strike to you
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

oh thank god i got secretly turned into that cloaked geater lich wizard at the academy by my master Corbyn and arent affected by your puny....*glances about*...never mind.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Hi, I feel like you didn't read my post at ALL, but I will try to clarify.
I'd like to see points ONLY being redeemable at an event where you are in game and PC (NOT NPC) for a day or more ON THAT CHARACTER.
"Sooo.. I NPC for a year and get points buy can never turn the points in because I didn't PC? Uhm no."

Uh what? You can turn them in when you PLAY said character.
1,000 per game limit or not, I DESPISE the idea of someone being able to bank money/donations for benefits and stockpile them behind the scenes every event and not even have to be present for it.
"How is that any different than a PC that never comes into town, just hides in the woods and gathers things with his skills and contacts and is never at risk? Don't say it cant be done, because it can."

I"m fine with someone hiding in the woods all weekend. That is taking a risk that you will be found. I didn't specify that they needed to be social with the PCs just that they needed to be in game.

it feels similar to letting PCs trade items to another one of their own PCs
"...you mean...like choosing which PC gets the 4 levels you acquired when you NPCed? Not any different than NPCing and using the points between two PCs...or NPCing and giving 2 levels to PC A and 2 levels to PC B.
The point system isn't any different form the 4 levels for NPCing an event system they have used all along, except it doesn't force feed just one reward, they get to pick their reward."

No, I mean like playing character A and giving your levels to character B. Or getting "The sword of awesome" IC on character A, and giving it to character B.
Points are non-transferable, you may only redeem points on your own characters, (although you could choose to purchase material benefits such as equipment tags and trade them in game, provided you met the requirement for purchasing them)."
"Since you point out the player could just get the tags and hand em over, its moot to restrict the use of points of Player A being used to benefit player B."

As long as you have to be in game to trade, I have no issue with this, you also can't trade things like "levels."
I basically don't want to see PC's able to "stockpile" in the background via OOG actions with no threat to their character.
"There are skills that do this very thing, give a PC in game items when he isn't in game and at risk. To ban the point system form doing that very same thing is silly."

The difference is they spent the ability points to be able to do it, and they have to be in-game to obtain them. They can't obtain the reward unless they are IN GAME.

I feel like you did not read my post AT ALL.

No debate, fine, no debate, I'm sorry I somehow missed this discussion which is of upmost importance to me, go ahead and put that foot down, but my final words:

Being able to stockpile resources and advantages behind the scenes is a huge gamebreaker.

Yes, you need money to run a LARP, believe me, I understand that. I think it could have been handled better, and I was only asking for a consideration of discussing some really very small points in the overall system. The only people it would discourage from donating are the kind of people who would use it for the reasons I've already noted: To build up a huge advantage over other players with no risk to their character behind the scenes.

The fact that there is a seeming unwillingness to even consider discussing it really says it all for me: This is a system to give a distinct advantage, rather than an incentive, to the people who have the money to burn without requiring them to show up at an event until they are "ready." I know who these people are, and I'm personally not willing to put myself through this kind of heart/head-ache again.

Being able to buy things should be a reward and an incentive, NOT a distinct advantage, which is what this UNDENIABLY IS. Being able to hide by NOT coming in game with some uber artifact you either received in-game or through spending money and upkeep it and stockpile goodies/levels until you can come in and roll the playerbase is a HUGE advantage.

I'm quite sure you won't, but please let me know vaguely how many PCs are buying things behind the scenes without attending the game as that character, because this is definitely a game breaker for me, personally, if this is occurring/going to occur. Thanks and goodnight.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

This isn't a /ragequit, btw.

And my issue isn't with the system itself, I'm all for rewarding people, it's with the ONE point I was trying to make regarding it.

And being told it's "not up for discussion" is not a calming, reasonable or reassuring statement. Perhaps a "It's established for this season. We'll look at discussing it during the rules off-season." would have been a better choice. :evil: Thank you. :roll:
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Hi, I feel like you didn't read my post at ALL, but I will try to clarify.
Nope,read the entire thing. Just needed to point out your quest for fairness and balance would have just created more of the opposite because of the strictures your suggesting.

I'd like to see points ONLY being redeemable at an event where you are in game and PC (NOT NPC) for a day or more ON THAT CHARACTER.

"Sooo.. I NPC for a year and get points buy can never turn the points in because I didn't PC? Uhm no."

Uh what? You can turn them in when you PLAY said character.
So a player that plays a PC every event, gets to tun in and utalize every event; but a player that NPCs some of those events doesnt get to turn in every event? Thats just silly and counter productive to the goal behind the system, rewarding those that are helping the plot team andsupporting the game.

1,000 per game limit or not, I DESPISE the idea of someone being able to bank money/donations for benefits and stockpile them behind the scenes every event and not even have to be present for it.

"How is that any different than a PC that never comes into town, just hides in the woods and gathers things with his skills and contacts and is never at risk? Don't say it cant be done, because it can."

I"m fine with someone hiding in the woods all weekend. That is taking a risk that you will be found. I didn't specify that they needed to be social with the PCs just that they needed to be in game.
So if the PC comes and signs in his PC, buys his support point items, and then goes and NPCs all weekend; thats ok by you? Alternately, he goes into town and hands off the items to a trusted PC with instruction to give them to that other adventurer when he comes into town, the other adventurer being his alternate PC.
Ultimately if the PLAYER is earning the points, what PC gets the rewards is irrelevent.

it feels similar to letting PCs trade items to another one of their own PCs

"...you mean...like choosing which PC gets the 4 levels you acquired when you NPCed? Not any different than NPCing and using the points between two PCs...or NPCing and giving 2 levels to PC A and 2 levels to PC B.
The point system isn't any different form the 4 levels for NPCing an event system they have used all along, except it doesn't force feed just one reward, they get to pick their reward."

No, I mean like playing character A and giving your levels to character B. Or getting "The sword of awesome" IC on character A, and giving it to character B.
Unless Ive missed something, you CANT give the levels earned by PC A to PC B. The only levels you get to chose the recipient of are those earned by NPCing. The support point rewards are the exact same.

As for a player swapping items form one PC of thiers to another. Most of the time Id agree that its metagaming, but I canalso see situations where game events could create a reasonable situation where it would make sense. But thats the purvey of the staff to judge on a case by case basis.

Points are non-transferable, you may only redeem points on your own characters, (although you could choose to purchase material benefits such as equipment tags and trade them in game, provided you met the requirement for purchasing them)."

"Since you point out the player could just get the tags and hand em over, its moot to restrict the use of points of Player A being used to benefit player B."

As long as you have to be in game to trade, I have no issue with this, you also can't trade things like "levels."
The problem is that there are so many ways around the strictures your trying to install, the effort is pointless. Restricting the use of Player As points to but Player B leves, means player A just hands player B the stuff he would have turned in to get the 1000 points to begin with.
In the end your really just stressing about occurences that rarely if ever happen wit hthese systems in place. Whenthey do if the staff feels it needs attending, they will handle it.

I basically don't want to see PC's able to "stockpile" in the background via OOG actions with no threat to their character.

"There are skills that do this very thing, give a PC in game items when he isn't in game and at risk. To ban the point system form doing that very same thing is silly."

The difference is they spent the ability points to be able to do it, and they have to be in-game to obtain them. They can't obtain the reward unless they are IN GAME.
As I have pointed out, they dont. They canturn in thier points after regstering thier PC and then go NPC. Trying to place a stricture like that is futile.

The only people it would discourage from donating are the kind of people who would use it for the reasons I've already noted: To build up a huge advantage over other players with no risk to their character behind the scenes.
Actually the only people it will discourage are those not clever enough to find a way around the strictures, and since the people your concerned about abusing the system are EXACTLY the people clever enough to do just that; your rolling a boulder up a hill....

The fact that there is a seeming unwillingness to even consider discussing it really says it all for me:
Problem is there has been discussion, both inthe general forums AND in the DM discussion forum over the last year and about 4 years ago. Claiming the system is corrupt simply because you missed it ir rediculous.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I do read the discussion. :)

I might not see it so please give me a detailed example of how the points could be used (in its present form) to create a game breaking advantage for a player.

Thanks
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Re: I saw this on the WH board

so this doesnt get lost, can the admin pin this in a different section?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

anyone...anyone...Bueller...Bueller....
Can we get this list stickied in a rules or general section?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

can we get the current, updated list as well as a " we want" donation wish list?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

stab...stab...stabitty... staberson
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Can we get this updated( I think the points for cash value is different than is currently used) and pinned so its easy to help new players find it?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender