Fun Mechanics Post

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Fun Mechanics Post

Post by GM_Chris »

For those who like discussing mechanics I thought i would start this post.

Please post any skill or power or spell you would love to see in a LARP or have seen in a LARP (FH included)

I want this to be fun but serious so I will delete posts like "I want a skill that kills everyone"

Anything you an think of logistics asside.

I will start..

Ideally I would love a potion system with formulas. The limiting factor is the herbs and you have to mix stuff together. You hand out actual vials of colored liquid or sand of which the contents must be emptied when the potion is used.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Altearez
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Altearez »

I have just recently been experimenting with the same idea.

purely hypothetical but fun idea non-the-less

there are 5 colors of skittles, so 5 skittles a bottle, and depending what order that they are stacked in the bottle it tells you what potion it is.
ImageImageImage
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Ideally I would love a potion system with formulas. The limiting factor is the herbs and you have to mix stuff together. You hand out actual vials of colored liquid or sand of which the contents must be emptied when the potion is used.
shifted lands and NERO have such a system, and I have played potent alchemist NPCs there. WIlling to cough up details if the GMS want, will trade for a foot massage.

I would like to see a system where arcanes could pre cast rituals, at a daunting rescource cost, and store them for later use by lowering their MAX, non temporary LP total by say 2 LP until the ritual is cast.

From another post of mine:
RESIST CRUSH
For 3LP the warrior can physically parry crush attacks with weapon or shield for combat duration.
MAIM
For 1LP the warrior can render the limb of the opponent struck unusable until healed by a healer
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

I miss spell incantations from KANAR. Five words per level of the spell. They won't work here however.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

sure they will, just make it one word per second of charge time.

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Very few spells even have a charge time anymore and those that do are very long. Magic KANAR was very quick and dirty. A lot like Empath in this system. Incants here would just be a pain as opposed to a boon.

I'm pretty sure I'm the minority when it comes to incants. I only liked them because I was good at them.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Oh I know, I started at NERO from which KANAR sprang. I was more referring to channels which are kinda like spells at other larps and roots/sleeps/banish/etc charge times. These i think can use the word per second of charge time RP method.

Rituals of the wizard and arcane use "conjuring time" I belive and would be a pain to chant for 10 minutes.

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

I actually like the potion with the Skittles in it strangely enough. But that could be because Skittles are tasty...
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

... and magical.

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

lol, dont be bound by what works in FH or not, im more looking for a brainstorm of ideas to have fun with.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

oh in that case I want flight, teleportation, invisibility and insta kill death stare.

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

I would like to see a mechanic for summoning creatures. It follows very closely to putting military into effect.

The money you pay initially is to bind the creature.

The money you pay afterwords is to summon it later.

The more powerful the creature, the longer it takes and the more it costs.

Minor Creatures of Knowledge

Cost to Bind - 3 Gold

Cost to Summon - 2 Silver

Time to Bind - 1 Hour

Time to Summon - 5 Minutes

Time Summoned - 10 Minutes

Stats

5 LP

Has one of the following abilities: Probe Mind, Scout, Necropsy, Sense Magic, or Consume Brain.

Greater Creature of Knowledge

Cost to Bind - 5 Gold

Cost to Summon - 5 Silver

Time to Bind - 2 Hours

Time to Summon - 15 Minutes

Time Summoned - 30 Minutes

Stats

5 LP

Has one of the following abilities - Probe Mind, Scout, Sense Magic, Necropsy or Consume Brain.

Also has one of these abilities - Recall, Identify Magic Item, Greater Sense Magic or Decipher Script.

Major Creature of Knowledge

Cost to Bind - 10 Gold

Cost to Summon - 1 Gold

Time to Bind - 4 Hours

Time to Summon - 30 Minutes

Time Summoned - 1 Hour

Stats

Has two of the following abilities - Probe Mind, Scout, Sense Magic, Necropsy or Consume Brain.

Also has one of these abilities - Recall, Identify Magic Item, Greater Sense Magic or Decipher Script.

Also has one of these special abilities

- The ability to immediately provide a 3rd level sage hint.
- The ability to instantly investigate someone.
- The ability to instantly gain an answer from someone as though they had been effected by the interrogate skill.

When you choose to take advantage of one of these abilities the creature is then unbound.

This is generally what it would look like. The other creatures would be of Benevolence, Combat, and Magic.

Prerequisites - Need to be able to cast a spell from the levels of Wizard/Arcane.

Basic - Minor
Advanced - Greater
Master - Major

You can also only have so many creatures bound to you at any one time and this depends on your level. Each different kind of creature takes more available levels to bind.

Minor - 4
Greater - 8
Major - 20

Example: Tom is 20th level. He can bind 5 minor creatures or 1 Major creature. Instead he chooses to bind 2 greater creatures and 1 minor creature. If he wanted to bind a major creature he would have to dismiss all of his creatures in order to bind such a powerful creature.

Transferring Creatures

You can also transfer creatures to another person. It takes the same amount of time it originally took to summon the creature. If the recipient does not have the sufficient levels the creature is instead freed.

Thoughts?[/u]
Altearez
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Altearez »

Random Skills

Guard-
>player may choose one target PC and may take any damage for that target. if they are within lash distance, this skill takes 1LP to activate and the user must let targeted player know they are being guarded.
>In turn a person being guarded cannot charge any skills or use any other activated or time based skill, other than healer.

Field Medic(discipline)-(all possible skills synergize with healer skills)
LV.1-Stabilize-A Field medic may stop target player from bleeding out for 2 minutes.
LV.2-Healing-2 min for half, 4 min for full.
LV.3-Call for Duty-Field Medic may flee from battle for 15sec at normal speed while carrying someone and not take damage in the back for 1LP.
LV.4-Haven-normal haven rules

Battle Mage-
LV.1-Enchant weapon
LV.2-channel weapon-Battle magic may channel any call with magic through a weapon.
LV.3-concentrate magic-"2 magic lash" 1LP
LV.4-Weapon focus +1 (any, but once chosen is permanent)

random suggestions

>Healers should be able to wear heavy.

>we need a more diverse spell/alchemist system.
ImageImageImage
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

-I think it'd be fun to play a Healer with heavy armor. Make it a Master Path Skill choice (Healer Path).

Then I could play a healer/paladin and really work up the "Paladin" Stereotype from other game systems.

-How about a good way of using "Wilderness Survival" in-game, with a way to replicate the 1/2 time travel speed?
Leo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Leo »

I had an interesting Idea for what I thought mighta been too complicated a discipline.

It involves a 4x4 grid of each element and 4 levels of each

so... Lvl.1 / Lvl.2 / Lvl.3 / Lvl.4 /
Earth/
Wind/
Fire/
Water/

and rather then fill in these obnoxious gaps i'd rather tell you.

at the first and second level of each element is an offensive and defensive skill to be used themeing each elements properties. Such as fire offensively can spend 2 LP and throw an 8 magic, 15 sec. reload. defensively, i was playing with an enviornment changing gamestop.

user calls the games stop throws 2 packets left and right and it makes a fire wall that when the game on is over they must hold up 1 lp every 30 sec, but the wall does 3 vorpal damage called by the holder of the wall on anyone crossing. It can be disrupted by moving the caster only, this includes killing them. They can't fight while holding the fire wall, and must take 5 seconds to quell the flames out before they can move. The deactivation allows for a more fluid gameplay. With having to Gamestop to pick up the packets it would cause too many gameplay disruptions, but because the user is calling the damage, they can just walk away and if you dont hear the damage as you walk through the packet line then it probably is not there because he/she put out the flames.

Now YES, this all does sound quite powerful as well as complicated, but as an Elementalist(what i'm calling it).

As you level in it you have to consecutively grow in level of an element, so you cant just lvl 4 all elements. you CAN infact just do all 4 lvl.1's if you wanted and because of the options it gives people it'll be like Wizard and not everyone will be the same or have taken the same path.

I do have a completed chart of the Elementalists' spells if the GM's would like to take a look at it. Much could probably be altered, but its a fun idea i'm toying with. Its basically RP'd as a person who has accessed The elemental magic from a different plane and is using it here.

I have a bunch of less complicated skill ideas as switch outs that were considered instead of the more complicated Lvl. skills, if you'd like those as well. Theres just a butt ton of them. (NEEDS SOME CONDENSING BIGTIME.)

I also liked "Lash press back" for warriors as an advanced switch-out. preferably with a LP cost. or A 5 second build up where the warrior can't move.
Leo Edanis of Geldaland

¤º°¨ ¸„ø¤º°¨„ø¤º°¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„ ¸Free to do what I want Forever!! º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ ¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤