On a rainy night

Inside and around Castle Gravesbane
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

On a rainy night

Post by Esmerelda »

Lightning flashed outside the castle, followed by a loud clap of thunder. The boom sent a shiver down the spine of the young woman seated in a chair by the window. Watching the storm, Esmerelda was fascinated by the play of the light off the crystal walls of the keep. So alien, yet so beautiful. Even in the midst of a raging storm, something beautiful could be found. She needed to remember that.

The storm was a sign that spring was well on its way to arriving. Tomorrow she'd have to go out to the farms and see what was needed to get the spring planting underway. While many of the farms had been well maintained during the occupation, many had been abandoned as well. And with all the returning former refugees it was important that all the famrs be utilized so that there was enough food for everyone. Hopefully the rain meant a good haul for the fishermen in the fishing village. The elder there said the fish always bit better when it was raining. Just as long as there wasn't too much rain so the fields were flooded...

And she needed to check up on the Willowby family. Emily was due any day now and Esmerelda had promised to help out once the baby came. Of course 6 children would be a handful to anyone...

Another flash of lightning brought her back to the present. Always so much to do! She should enjoy this moment to herself- it surely couldn't last. With a sigh she settled her chin into her hands and wound a stray curl around one finger.
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora looks out a the rain from time to time, the flashes of lightening dancing in the green of her eyes. She's been sitting quietly keeping a watchful eye over Esmerelda, but from time to time she looks out the window as if lost in thought.

There is a little bit of a sadness in her glances outside watching the storm. It's been an interesting few years for Aurora that's for certain. She turns her gaze to Esmerelda.*

Need anything?
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Dallid walked calmly through the deluge toward the Keep. Occasionally he spied a villager hurrying from one shelter to another, holding cloaks tight about them to secure against the rain. Dallid reflected how easily a being’s personal balance could be disrupted by a little cold and wet. Life was so fragile – as much on the ecological level as well as the personal. Survival was a constant struggle – a never-ending conflict. Such struggle was the very reason for his continued existence.

But while the rain was bane to some life, it was boon to others. Dallid could feel the woods responding around him. The potential energy of Phanterra – energy he depended upon to maintain a sliver of his consciousness in this living vessel – was rapidly transforming to kinetic. The world was awakening from its winter sleep, and would soon be too busy with the struggle to grow and live to spare much energy for Dallid to tap.

In the past that meant long bouts of hibernation during the summer months, but Dallid had never stopped molding his vessel. It now closely resembled the way he appeared while alive – when he had first arrived at Haven. It even had the blood of fauna rather than flora. The familiar physiology better matched his essence, requiring less effort to maintain conscious occupation of the vessel. Perhaps it would be enough to remain active even at the height of Summer. Still, the link was ever tenuous.

Though now far more animal than plant, Dallid still remained unconcerned by sickness initiated by the cold and wet of the storm. While indeed alive, his vessel was still a mystical thing - not truly resident in the Cycle of Life. Diseases could not prey upon it. Still, death was always a concern. So long as the vessel lived, Dallid was aware of its presence. Even should his will be disrupted, or the vessel retired to hibernation, he could always find it again. But in death, it was lost – his only connection to this plane severed completely. Several times had the vessel expired due to grievous injury, and in each case he had been lucky. An empath’s call had enabled him to relocate his vessel. It was akin to standing in the right spot, looking in the right direction, and at the right time when a distant beacon flashed in the woods at night. Had the beacon been missed, there’d have been no telling how much time would pass in this realm before another opportunity to reenter it occurred.

Though he hoped he wouldn’t need to. Even now he believed all the reasons for which he returned had been addressed – though some details he’d like to personally confirm, such as achieving an audience with Corel. Then he could depart the land of the living to return where he really belonged.

But he had thought such things before. He had assumed the balance needed by the world would be all but inevitable once the Evil Dragon was destroyed, but what should have been an ultimate triumph instead heralded a steady fall into much darker days– the darkest for Haven.

So while currently the world was again posed to achieve the balance necessary for a healthy Phanterra, Dallid would remain a little longer to help nudge such progress beyond mere potential. One small step at a time.

“Greetings, Esmerelda, Aurora.” Dallid said as he entered the Keep. “I have spoken with the elders and shopkeeps of Haven and nearby settlements. They will help spread word of the town meeting.”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

:as the door closes from dallid's entrance it is stopped short as a stout gauntleted hand pushes it back open and ulfgar would step in, his beard and bandanna were soaked from the storm. he set down his shield and axe and sat down for short time before addressing the others:

"aside from everything bein ferr foosty outside from the storm, its a quiet night m'lady." :ulfgar rings out his bandanna and ruffles a hand through his beard shooting droplets in random directions and then let out a heavy sigh as he looked around the castle he let his mind wander a bit, the sounds of the battle still echoed in his mind, however so did the argument with Val. he snapped back to reality with a shake of his head and gathered his things to return to his patrol:

"ef there be nothing else, Amur return to my post m'lady" ulfgar spoke quickly and didnt make eye contact with esmerelda, this was not like him, something was clearly bothering the dwarf.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Serith notices the dwarfs unusual behavior and speaks up from the banister that he has nearly made as his new seat

"Dont worry about getting back to the guard so quickly Ulfgar, we have quite a few capable guards making their patrols, take a load off, and if you dont mind me joining you for a drink."

*as Serith finishes speaking he deftly drops to the floor and to a knee and stands sitting near Ulfgar as he leans in closer to the dwarf speaking quietly

"and also tell me what is bothering you friend..."

*Serith awaits his response as he pours them both a drink
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Esmerelda turns from the window and smiles at Dallid. For a moment the smile almost seems sad and there is an intense yearning for something in the young woman's eyes. But before he can even be certain the sentiment was present the feeling disappears behind courtly pleasantry and she seems like a normal young woman.

"Thank you so much, Dallid. I've been spreading the word as I go out as well. This way we'll be ensured that we'll have the most people possible. Tell me- you didn't run into farmer Willowby in your travels did you? I'm hoping not. But it's been my experience that babies tend to come at the most inoppurtune times for all others involved." She laughs. "So I'm fully expecting that his wife will deliver tonight in the storm."

She turns to Aurora. "If it's not a trouble, will you go with me out to the farms again tomorrow? I need to make sure everything is set for the spring plowing. I like to make sure in person everything is going alright for the farmers and I think they appreciate that I go to visit in person as well."

Esmerelda notes Ulfgar's odd behavior but for the moment seems to trust Serith to handle the situation.
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora's gaze goes from looking out the window for a moment to meeting Esmerelda's gaze. When Esmerelda looks into her eyes for a moment she can see some bit of sadness that quickly becomes hidden as Aurora focuses in on the question asked.*

*She nods and smiles slightly*

I would be more then happy to accompany you m'lady. You never know the people might have a few things they might want me to repair as well since I'm out there with you. You know I don't mind at all traveling with you and all.

*She looks at Dallid*

I made some cookies a few hours ago. They are fairly fresh if you are hungry.

*Turns to Serth and Ulfgar*

That goes for the two of you as well. I decided to work on another talent I seem to be developing today due to this storm. It helps...keep my mind a bit quiet.
Aurora Darksbane

Caldonian Genderman
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“I did not encounter him, no. Most people are still riding out the winter close to home, though town activity is increasing in preparation for spring planting. Indeed, I suspect Willowby would be most pleased to have his offspring delivered soon, before long hours are required in the fields.”

“There is some trepidation. Over the past couple of years the population could depend upon Elven aid should the harvest be poor. Now they feel they are once again on their own, and are driven to tend carefully to their crops. Haven’s economy has always been driven by its produce. As we seek to establish trade, we would do well to encourage a surplus for export.”

Dallid smiled at Aurora’s offer. Few things so instantaneously highlighted the glory of Life like the explosion of flavor produced by a bite into one of her cookies. A fine reminder of all that was at stake.

“My thanks. I believe I will have one now.”

As he moved toward the kitchen, he kept one ear focused on Ulfgar and Serith. If something had the Dwarf off balance, then it was a concern requiring address.

Aurora, too, sounded a little tense, while Esmerelda was stretched to her limit, as always. Indeed, times were turbulent, and everyone had their own private set of worries.

Some issues were personal, but others could benefit from outside help, and Dallid would help where he could. Serith was working with Ulfgar, so Dallid turned back to Aurora while he ate.

"What in your mind resists being quieted?"
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

:ulfgar was half way out the door when he heard serith's request and turned to face his friend:

'ah suppose yer right, no harm in a pint:takes a look outside as thunder cracks, the dwarf sets his axe and shield down, even loosens the straps of his armor and then hefts the drink to his lips downing half its contents, ulfgar lowers his voice to a more quiet tone.

"ah have heard some...disquieting, rumors amongst the townsfolk,which of course i immediately discounted, but now ah'm not as sure if there is any truth to em, or ef ah'm being fair fashed over nothin"

:ulfgar stops and then tips his mug to finish the remnants and gives a another sigh his voice lowering to almost a whisper as he leans in to serith:

(OOG: continuing in PM.)
Rothek HowlingFang
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora looks at Dallid for a moment as if taken aback by her emotions being caught more towards the surface.*

I...I'm fine. I'll deal with it and do not worry it will not interfer at all with what I need to do.

*She looks at Esmerelda for a moment*

It's personal and you know of some of what I've gone through. I'm just...trying to take it all in, learn from it, and move on now that we have a few moements to catch our breaths.
Aurora Darksbane

Caldonian Genderman
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Esmerelda takes the tray of cookies out of Aurora's shocked hands. She gently nudges the your woman towards and empty seat next to Dallid.

"Sometimes, when it's quiet, it's good to talk about things, too. Even have a good cry when you need to. If you don't then they tend to build up inside and," she makes a face as if tasting something sour, "fester."

She looks the other young woman in the eye, pleading with her own. "I have a lot of people that I talk to. But I never see you talking like that with anyone. It's not good. Don't think you have to be such a strong warrior all the time, Aurora. Sometimes it's stronger to let your emotions out and face them then to bottle them all up inside." With a pointed look towards Dallid she walkes away from her friend.

Approaching Serith and Ulfgar, she holds the tray out towards them. "Cookie, gentlemen?"
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora stands there confused and looks at Esmerelda*

I do talk....or I know I can talk to my Uncle. I don't open up so easily for the last time I did those individuals used it towards their own ends. I wish to not fall for that trap again, don't you understand?

I showed volnurability once and it cost me. Right now all I care about is making sure people are safe and that goes double for you, Atrum, Uncle Mohdri, and all. All the people I'm starting to grow fond of and like.

I'd rather be vigilent then played...

*She looks a Dallid*

My apologies, that outburst was compeltely out of line. Please have a cookie or four for that matter. I don't know how you can help me wise one for I believe this internal battle is mine alone.
Last edited by Aurora on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aurora Darksbane

Caldonian Genderman
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

:ulfgar was startled by esmerelda's offering and jumped slightly:

"oh!!, :he brought a hand to his head and sighed:

"aye, thank yeh" :ulfgar takes a cookie:
Rothek HowlingFang
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“One is sufficient, thank you, Aurora. If your thoughts are private ones, I understand – what you are willing to share is entirely up to you. However, it is difficult to perform any task well with a heavy burden upon your shoulders. You wish to help others. Most admirable. However, you may find that as you do so, others will want to then help you, in return. They are all too happy to assist in sharing the load. When burdens are distributed evenly, everyone stands stronger together.”

“I would hope you won’t stand apart now, Aurora, and suffer alone. Sometimes merely talking – sharing – can prove surprisingly liberating.”
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora looks at Esmerelda and then to Dallid and sighs*

I suppose you are right Dallid.

*Looks up a Serth*

I'm going to find a more private place to chat with Dallid. Would you mind please keeping an eye on things? Yell if anything not the norm approaches please.

*Points towards a more private part of the keep to chat*

Shall we Dallid?
Aurora Darksbane

Caldonian Genderman