On the road to Woodhold

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

On the road to Woodhold

Post by GM-Mike »

By the time everyone gears up and begins the long journey, the sun has already begun its descent. Before any grumbling can begin about starting so late in the day, Laggy addresses his group. "While it's unnecessary here close to Caldonia, the closer we get to Woodhold, the more we'll want to travel under the night's protection, as limited as that might be. We'll have to get used to it now, walking mostly with the moon's care and resting, as we can, with the sun's. I hope that's agreeable."

As Laggy walks, he does so with a heavy step, one worn down by endless days, often running, always risking everything. Still, his walk is sure and he never complains and any apprehension that he may be feeling is absent when he speaks, drawing confidence from those who follow him.

"Much of our travelling will be done underground, through tunnels that are mostly abandoned. I can promise that allies of mine will leave messages hidden within the walls should particular tunnels be unsafe, but generally, many of the dark elves have risen, living above for the first time."

He stops then, addressing the group face to face for the first time. "And this is very important. I need everyone's trust. If that's not possible given my skin, if that's not possible given my blood, if that's not possible given my words or my disposition or any number of things, then it's best you turn around right now. For when I say run, you need to run, when I say draw your blade, I should hear the sounds of unsheathing metal, and when I say stand down, there should be none who act aggressively. Trust that I know more than you about the dangers we face and that I wish nothing but our own survival, but our own safe return. You do that, you do what I say without hesitation and I have faith we'll accomplish our goals. And just so we're clear, I have no problems with you questionning me but only when the danger has passed. Too many I have seen die because they failed to listen to a singular voice, and while it is true that many others have died because they listened to the wrong singular voice, I hope you can trust that my voice only speaks truth, only has your interest in mind."

He then turns and continues walking...
celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

TRUSK MAKE ONE TING CLEAR TOOS, TRUSK GO TO PROTECT DA ES MERLD DA, DAT TRUSK JOB, IF DA ES MERLD DA SAY DO WHAT YOU'S SAYS, DEN TRUSK DOES WHAT YOUS SAY, BUT TRUSK ON LY TING IS TO PROTEC DA ES MERLD DA.

*durring the travels trusk remains very close to esmerelda, giving stern looks to any others that come in close proximity to her, and always having his hammer hanging over his shoulder ready to slam down on any that would threaten his charge, and he follows her reguardless of anyones direction except if directed by esmerelda herself.*
YOU STAY SMART, YOU STAY ALIVE, DONT DO NOTTING STUPID.
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

As Laggy speaks, Esmerelda nods her head in agreement. When Trusk states that he is there to protect her, she blushes and looks at the ground. Turning to him, she says, "Trusk, in order to keep us all safe, you need to do exactly as Laggy tells you. I will be following his directions exactly, and I expect you to do the same."

She turns to the rest of the group. "You can trust Laggy. If you don't, then please, by all means, go home. I don't want anything endangering this mission. And Laggy has proved himself more than trustworthy to me in the past. In Haven he helped me solve the puzzle to freeing Herb's family from a terrible curse. He could have not helped at all or easily led us astray, yet he didn't."

As a sudden realization dawns upon her, Esmerelda goes a bit pale. Turning back to Laggy she asks in a hushed voice, "You said we would be traveling underground. Are we going to be close to Branwyn's realm?"
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

As they pass the edge of Far Reach proper, Rhul approaches and regains his place as part of the group. He wears his thick furred greatcoat as a ward against the still-chill temperatures, it's multiple pockets showing the well-defined shapes of several books. Along with his travelling bag of provisions, he carries a small travelling lantern, and his greatsword is slung over his shoulder.

"Laggy, if we come upon an emergency, I will defer to your likely greater experience, you shouldn't worry about that. Although while I am an able fighter, I would be much happier if we reach Woodhold's forces without any untoward interference.

*At Esmeralda's glance at the blade, he shrugs.*

"Hmph. It seems, milady, when it came down to it, my feelings for travelling well-equipped finally overruled my hopefulness for a mundane journey. Although, if any who might wish us harm along the way are hesitant to act, every appearance of force could very well keep them from doing so. So hopefully, it may prove useful without the need to shed blood. I also packed some food items for emergencies.

As for the thought of travelling underground, (he sighs) I will endure it if I must. But I must admit I am not well practiced at feeling Nature's pulse below the surface. I am much more accustomed to the feel of slumbering forests and the animals within, but I will resolve to do my best.
Last edited by Rhul on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

*Raising an eyebrow*

....Branwyn?
Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

Fionna seems glad to see Rhul has caught up. She is dressed in traditional Caldonian winter traveling clothes, her family tartan apparent. Over her shoulder she carries her standard bag containing her surgeon's tools. She can also be found with her familiar belt bag full of a wide variety of potions. She carries her ever present staff at her side. She seems nervous on this journey, but to those who know her know it is due as much to her young age and inexperience as it is to their company.

"Esmerelda, you know I trust you. I will do all that is necessary. Hopefully, this will be the mundane journey that we all pray for. "

She turns to Laggy, everyone can see she is very wary around him.

"Please forgive me Laggy. My life in Caldonia has soured my taste toward your kind. However, knowing how much Esmerelda seems to trust you, I will do what ever you ask of me as we journey. I have learned in my time since leaving home, that the prejudice of my people may be somewhat nieve. You are trusted by those I trust, so until proven otherwise, I will trust your judgement."
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum is there waiting when everyone begins to show up*

Trusk, might you have any smaller weapons? I doubt that huge hammer is going to do much more than be a pushing pole in most of the tunnels.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Before much travelling is done, a second dark elf comes out of the woods. Laggy holds up a hand to the group and greets the other.

"Goran, it's good to see you."

"And you, Laggy. Can I be of any assistance?"

"Not this time, my friend."

"Perhaps I could scout ahead. What route are you taking?"

Laggy speaks plainly, but the information he gives is clearly incorrect.

Goran asks, "May I ask what you hope to get out of this?"

"We're just trying to see the extent of the defenses in that area. Quick recon, get in, get out."

"I wish I could help."

"I wish you could as well, my friend. There is no one I trust more, but I need a good man to see to a shipment of mystic that should arrive in the area three days hence. Once that's done, should you wish to follow us, please do so. We can use all the help we can get."

"Of course, sir," Goran replies and trounces back out to the woods.

Laggy then turns to the group. "Who is our best woodsman?"
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Rhul cocks an eyebrow slightly as the other dark elf leaves, and turns at Laggy's question.

Well...... I would consider myself rather adept at travelling through realms, be they strictly sylvan in nature, or otherwise. Though as I said before, I am a bit inexperienced below the ground, if it were to come to that.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

"It'll be a while before we're underground. I need to know if that man follows us, and if he does, we need him dead."
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Rhul raises an eyebrow, shocked, and more than a little uneasy at Laggy's wish.

"Dead, you say? ....And whom might your friend be working for if you would see him dead for knowing where we are going? And with that I assume when you say "friend" you were being less than serious.

I would much rather lead him astray if he were to follow, than kill someone I know nothing about. At the very least, (looks at the group) will one of you accompany me? Atrum, perhaps you? I certainly have no wish to go alone and deal with someone whose capabilities I know nothing about."
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

"He's a spy for the other side but doesn't know I know, and if he stops listening to the stuff I tell him, the stuff I want the other side to know, then he has outlasted his usefulness. I can promise you that if he is following us, then he no longer trusts me, and he will only endanger this mission."
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum stands up and flashes the dagger that has been in his hand*

Rhul, I understand your reservations, but war is not pretty and war certainly is not altruistic. I'll take care of the killing part if need be, you just make sure that he's good and distracted if it comes to that. And Rhul, if you were to question Laggy in the tunnels about motives it could mean our demise. In there, you can be utterly trapped in mere moments, when Laggy says there should be no questioning what he says to do on this journey it's because questioning something could mean the difference between a trapped tunnel collapsing in on all of us or not. I'm not saying to abandon your convictions, by all means keep those intact. Let's go.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

*Rhul nods to Atrum, but holds up a finger, to emphasise a point*

I'm not questioning him Atrum, I'm simply gathering information on serious business that needs to be done. And only because we have the time to spare to do so right now. If in the future it were a case of run or die, or to follow Laggy's lead, you would see my mind made a good deal faster.

If you're ready, though, we can go.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum nods to Rhul*
Understood

Laggy, if you get to the entrance to the tunnels you want to use go inside and find a place to keep everyone in the shadows until we get there.

After you Rhul
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!