Combos not in the book

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Combos not in the book

Post by marduk »

1) If you have the Empath "Fear" and a discipline "Fear", do the two do anything for you together?

2) If buy Escape Artist twice does it have any kind of cumulative effect? (not sure how it would, maybe escape inescapables w/out spending life?)
WayneO42
GM

Re: Combos not in the book

Post by WayneO42 »

marduk wrote:1) If you have the Empath "Fear" and a discipline "Fear", do the two do anything for you together?
No. They do not stack. They are different skills that produce the same effect
2) If buy Escape Artist twice does it have any kind of cumulative effect? (not sure how it would, maybe escape inescapables w/out spending life?)
Is that a possible combo? I thought we caught all of those
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

I overlooked the paragraph where it explicitly spells out what happens:

Any character that has the Escape Artist skill more than one time may escape from
regular bonds instantly by spending an uninterupted five seconds OR spending a life
point. Additionally, the character may spend a life point to instantly escape from the
Interrogator's inescapable bonds.
EDIT: Where I missed it is because this paragraph is in the Assassin decsription and NOT in the Spy description. When I read Spy I thought, "why doesn't that stack?". After you posted I re-read things and figured it out. Probably a type-o
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Im curious about Chieftan with resist fear from another discipline. The 4th level allows him to resist mind effects including fear for a life ( as an aside that skill is totaly useless against tortue and interrogate since both skills drop the target to 0 life and the resist requires a life point). so would that make him immune to fear but still able to resist the rest?
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

interesting question. Why would a resistance to torture cost a lifepoint when the "torture" only take hold after the character reached 0? Once the victim was at zero, you could torture them again and get your way. Unless spending the single point makes them immune to that torturer's efforts for a time or something.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I was wondering about the combo of using investigation from spy and research from sage. Albeit, investigation is a very specialized form of research. And I'm not saying that there should be a combo bonus, really. I'm actually feeling that, perhaps, it should give a bonus to investigations use. Maybe in the amount of time needed to come up with the information.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

that's good because it says in the investigate skill that it will yield more info with research.
Travis Cole
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I am Mr. Unobservant lately.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

Its not so much a combo not in the book, as it is a lack of combo not in the book.

Looking through the new rules, you are allowed to take any basic path skill and swap it out for the first skill of any other path. This raises a few questions for me. (Please don't call it cheese, they are reasonable questions and I just need clarification... these could even go in that etheral FAQ page)

1.) Empath - A person chooses to swap out Lesser Channel for another skill. They then take Master Empath. This person then uses Greater Channel, which states that they can use a lower leveled channel if the appropriate time has passed. It says this person can do it, but doesn't specify if they have to have the skill or not. Can they do it?

2.) Rogue - A person swaps out Pick Simple Lock. They then take Master Rogue and aquire the skill Pick Complex Locks. Can the Rogue not pick a simple lock now?

3.) Sage - A person swaps out Read/Write. They also do not take any language as part of the start up package. They then take Master Sage. How does Decipher Script work for this person?
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Damm, good points.

Here are my thoughts
1. The person could not do 5 booms unless they learn the skill. Can only do 10 and 15 booms.
2. Unless they have the skill pick simple locks they can not pick a simple lock.
3. It would take 5 minutes to read 1 page of written material. But since they cannot read or write, they could not write the decipher script down.

GM's how do you see it??
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

.) Empath - A person chooses to swap out Lesser Channel for another skill. They then take Master Empath. This person then uses Greater Channel, which states that they can use a lower leveled channel if the appropriate time has passed. It says this person can do it, but doesn't specify if they have to have the skill or not. Can they do it?

No. they may not throw a 5.

The skill says youmay throw a lesser, but since you can't, because you have no ability to use a lesser you may not.

2.) Rogue - A person swaps out Pick Simple Lock. They then take Master Rogue and aquire the skill Pick Complex Locks. Can the Rogue not pick a simple lock now?

No they may not. only complex locks.

3.) Sage - A person swaps out Read/Write. They also do not take any language as part of the start up package. They then take Master Sage. How does Decipher Script work for this person?

it does but they may not write down it's translation.

Note,

knockout and critical strike also work the way. You may not use the lesser if you dump the skill and only take the greater.
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Just for note, the only skill that allows you to dump is Greater Channel. You cannot charge a '9' and dump to a '6'. The wording that is in channel is not in the other skills.

Of course, this brings up the point that you must choose what you are charging when you begin charging. Now the question is whether you can ramp up a charge after starting say a '3' (ie decide that you now have time for a '6' or '9')? People will do this regardless, but I'd say 'no' as a rule. You decide ahead of time and stick to it. Obviously, every master empath will choose 15 or 30 so they can dump.

Also, for a conceptual idea of complex versus simple locks and why you couldn't do both. A complex lock might be a keypad, time locked safe, versus a simple being a front door. Now, I could be a master hacker and be able to convince the keypad and time lock to let me in, but couldn't pick your front door for the life of me.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

dier_cire wrote:Also, for a conceptual idea of complex versus simple locks and why you couldn't do both. A complex lock might be a keypad, time locked safe, versus a simple being a front door. Now, I could be a master hacker and be able to convince the keypad and time lock to let me in, but couldn't pick your front door for the life of me.
While pretty much the same thing I was thinking, not the best analogy for this LARP...or...is it? :wink: