costume sites

Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

costume sites

Post by Kidwynn »

Hey all

I need an assist. My black boots have started to split apart at the sole. I either need a name of a good place to get my boots repaired or a link for some inexpensive leather boots.

Thanks

Julie

Oh yeah PS I'll want knee length pirate type boots.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Define inexpensive...

For boots that are going to last that means about 200 dollars to me. The price range will determine the places I send ya.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Under 200 would be preferred for I don't have a lot of extra cash lying around.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

ill send the links when i get home tonight

Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Thank you

*gives big hug*

I'm not liking the black duct tape around my poor boot
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

The ones I wore this weekend were only 90. They won't last forever, but they're nice for the price. See WayneO's Renboot link above. They have more for under 200 I think.
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Boots

Post by Torakhan »

If you're looking for really good boots with a lifetime garantee, check out Son of Sandlar boots.

http://www.sandlarboots.com/
Their website is down, and it doesn't look like they utilize the web or even phone sales, but I've heard that they don't really sell their boots online or by mail order anyways (since boot sizes vary and you really have to try on a pair of boots before you buy them.) It's really best to just go and buy directly from them at a Ren fair.

I bought mine from their booth at the Michigan Renaissance Festival in Holly, Michigan (Open this weekend and next). I don't see them on the list of artisians under "Son of Sandlar", but they might still be there?

Otherwise, you might still want to go and see what is offered there.
The Pirate festival just across teh border in Canada 2 weeks ago may have been a good place to look too.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I bought a pair of Son of Sandlar boots about 8 years ago and they are still in great shape. They are on the pricey side though. If you want to go all out you could always drop $1200 and get a pair of Bald Mountain's boots :)
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

BOOTS!

Post by Torakhan »

WayneO42 wrote:I bought a pair of Son of Sandlar boots about 8 years ago and they are still in great shape. They are on the pricey side though. If you want to go all out you could always drop $1200 and get a pair of Bald Mountain's boots :)
I've heard nothing but good stuff about the SoS boots.
I typically find that you get what you pay for.
Had Erik's "exploding" boots been Son of Sandlars, they would have repaired them for free (but I don't think they would have fallen appart in such a fantastic fashion!)
I've learned that you usually get what you pay for. If you know you're going to put the boots through Hell, and you have the money available, why spend $200 every 2 years when you can buy one pair for $400 that will last as long as the company does? I used to buy expensive sunglasses because I realized I'm more apt to keep expensive ones safe and not loose them. A $100 pair of glasses lasts me 2 years.. when I might buy 3 or 4 pair a year because I keep loosing them. *L* (and they usually fit and feel better too, but I don't buy them for any sort of fashion statement because of brand.)
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

the SOS boots I use are about 2 years old, but the price on em now is about $350.00, but they have replaced two stap buckles and will soon be replacing both of the straps swen into the soles as they are getting thin.

Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Re: BOOTS!

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Torakhan wrote:
I used to buy expensive sunglasses because I realized I'm more apt to keep expensive ones safe and not loose them. A $100 pair of glasses lasts me 2 years.. when I might buy 3 or 4 pair a year because I keep loosing them. *L* (and they usually fit and feel better too, but I don't buy them for any sort of fashion statement because of brand.)
LOL and for me $100 is about 25-30 years of sunglasses, since I get them from the dollar store. :wink:

*shrugs* My first pair of boots lasted 4 years and 2 characters and they cost me about $60. When I have $400 in my hand, I can never bring myself to put it all on something I'm going to use a few times a year. But that could be because that would be about 2 months of "miscellaneous and entertainment" if I actually did a budget. :lol:
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I am pro surplus combat boots. They don't look god-awful, they can be had for 10 bucks, and they are waterproof, fireproof, bullet proof, provide good ankle support, and have excellent tread.
Travis Cole
Samantha
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Samantha »

I was actually going to post a note about some boots that I've been seeing at places like Payless that at least the ladies might be interested in. They're not knee-high pirate boots and some of them are cheaters with side zips, but they look like they're comfortable enough (flat, soft sole, good tread) and even possibly quite warm. This is a good time of year to start looking for them. As far as mileage, I'm not super certain, but they might be a cheap alternative if someone needed something in a crunch.

Julie, I've seen loads of boots on Ebay for very decent prices, depending on what exactly you're looking for. I ususaly do a search for "medieval," "Renaissance," or "SCA" or even just "LARP" under "Clothes, Shoes & Accessories" and the cool part is, they've even separated some of the other listings and made a unique costume sub category. Of course, you'll be wading through a good deal of cheap Halloween schlock at the moment, but that should go away after Halloween.

Good luck!
"It ain't no mystery,
if it's politics or history.
The thing you gotta know is,
Everything is showbiz!"
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Cant find my boot ones yet, but did find these:

http://www.hotmovieprops.com/lord-of-th ... -p-83.html