event feedback

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

event feedback

Post by GM-Mike »

All right, let's get to some feedback while it is still all fresh in our minds. We worked hard on organization this time to help the check-in/chec-out process. I know some liked it very much. What do others think? Are there ways to make it smoother

As for the event itself, what did you like, what didn't you like. Too much battle? Not enough Death? Were there ample things to partake in? Were there too many things to partake in? Suggestions for making things better?

I thought we had about an 85% in-game rate which is better than previous but we can still work on that. I think it's a little embarrassing that a PC has to tell the NPC's to get back in-game, and I was one guilty member there but overall I'd say we improved some but can still work on that.

Any thing else you want us to know. We're trying to put out the best product we can so don't spare feelings if you have somehting to say.

Mike
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I thought it went well, I was thoroughly impressed by all of the noobs, although most had LARP experience. It wasn't a noob friendly event with the 2 huge threats on town deciding to come at us this weekend. But overall I had a blast.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

I thought everything from the GM/NPC side of the event was pretty flawless -- I had a blast (even getting tore up the woods in the dead of night). The only point of confusion I had was during the Nash battle, saturday night. Some of the PC's were recruited to play NPCs in effort to enhance the feel of a big army headed our way, and if I'm not mistaken, a couple of the PC's that play orcs were among them. This made it very difficult to discern friend from foe, as the Orcs were planning on posing as enemies and then joining us in the fight when the reached us. M

Maybe I'm out of my mind about that one, but it was pretty dark, and very hard to tell.
Last edited by Bob-Z (kabre) on Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

I had a fantastic time, I thought everyone roleplayed their butts off, and it was fun being helpless :)

My only complaint was that the checkout box wasn't where it was supposed to be when it came time for us to checkout.
Faerykin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Faerykin »

Aside from what Erik mentioned about it not being a newbie-friendly event, I actually had a lot of fun.

Even thought there were two large battles, I felt useful at both. I mean, in the first large fight: when there is a constant flow of downed bodies coming out of a cave, there is plenty of work for a healer. In the second: when you're hiding out on the outskirts of town, you can always be utilized to drag dead bodies up to the Orc Cabin for future ressurection. :wink:

Overall, I believe the NPCs were very flexible when it came to creative PCs, and it was hillarious to watch some of the outcomes of that flexibility.

From a newbie perspective - great job to the NPC Staff!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

eh, needed more combat... Image
Actually, I give it a Image and a Image oh and a little of Image
(muhaha the emoticons!!!)
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Natalie gives Eric a :grab: for using so many emoticons*
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

I had a good time, of course just saying that does not really help any.

I love the simplicity of the check-In check out process, but I think some of the newer players could use a GM or something to help them out. Perhaps designate a newbie marshal? Also pens, pencils, and character sheets seemed to be in short supply at check In.

Friday night: The only thing that I really saw friday night was the Golems attacking town. I heard about the tree thing and that sounded pretty cool, but as a noob didnt really get involved. Only real criticism I have here is that it seemed slow, and then when things did pick up it was several golems coming into town swinging for 2 with a rev up 5 crush ability. Thats a lot for a couple newbies to be fighting, especially when they have 75 soak. A suggestion may be to find a way to send in a more diverse group of monsters. Perhaps 5 Lesser golems and 1-2 big golems. Then desginate the big one by having him wear a glow stick or something. This at least helps the newbies or the non-warrior types differentiate enemies in a fight and lets them feel more useful.

Saturday morning/afternoon: The stuff that I saw here for the most part seemed to be obscure hidden stuff in a lot of ways. The witch wood arrows where a cool touch, but It seemed to be mostly a dead end incident that couldnt really be followed up on by anything we had in town. Not sure this is a bad thing, but it limited what the PC's could do this event regarding the plot (for a long term plot this can be really cool). The villager mob was entertaining a was a good chance for some neat RP interaction (even if the peasants were rather monty pythonesque). Seemed like mostly a plot for the established leadership of the town, but I liked the fact it wasnt all combat. We began investigating another plot that I think most people missed around this time and I am liking the way its turning out so far. The mystery and intrigue is very cool and the lack of combat so far has made it something newbie capable especially for the non-warrior noob. My only criticism here was that at times I went to NPC camp to look into some things, ask questions, or do something and all the NPC's were out on a plot.

Saturday Night: The start of this with florins cave was just downright brutal. From a combat perspecttive it was actually well done because it required the PC's to plan and use tactics to overcome a terrain obstacle (the narrow entrance to the cave). The nasty spell also added a time crunch element that was cool to see. I got squished really good in this fight, but hey sometimes those things happen. My only criticism here is that I never intended to go to Florins cave, but when I went to NPC camp to do something else instead...all the NPC's were in the cave. So it was basically a sit in the Inn and do nothing or go to Florins cave and be newbie fodder for a meat grinder. Still made the best of it and had fun :).

The Gavin/Goblin attack was frickin awesome. Personally I love the fact we lost the town and that the battle changed from a straight up warrior fest into a guerrilla warfare hit and run battle. The only real criticism I had here was the sheer number of enemies swinging for 2 crush.

Overall analysis:
Overall I had a great time, I got some really good role-play with the other players. I enjoyed playing my character and was thankful to the NPC's for allowing me some flexiability in making small changes in character mechanics as I got a feel for the game more. From what I saw 4 out of 5 of the paths really got a good chance to shine and show its power or its moment in the spotlight per se and I consider 80% damn good.

Warriors got there moment in the sun at the beginning of the gavin battle when they defeated the first wave and almost the second wave through tenacity.

Rogues got there moment in the sun after the town was lost and it became sneaky shiznit time. I saw this as the perfect time for guerrilla warfare techniques, setting up ambushes and such.

Empaths:
Florins cave was your chance to shine. The huge booms you can thrown really made a huge difference in that meat grinder at the front and your true power was displayed as you got to hide behind a shield wall and toss packets for 10-30.

Healers:
Im not even sure I need to go into this, but I dont know of a single person who isnt greatful the healers in game for saving their characters ass in the numerous battles.

Sages:
I really didnt see any puzzles, riddles, or anyplace that the sage really got to shine this event. Not a big deal as not every path should have a chance to shine every event (but its not a bad goal to shoot for).

My gratitude goes out to the GM's who gave us a great event where we fought hard for our lives and worked as a group to prevail.

My gartitude goes out to the other players for the unique characters, the good role-play, and the stand up job staying in character compared to other larps I have attended.

Thank you,
Evan
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I think I hear a cry for more Wayne puzzles! I love those things, at least when there isn't a mistake in it :P

Great feedback everyone, keep it up
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

Absolutely! That was kind of my only thing too. I -really- like the Sage, but didn't feel overly useful, and kind of felt people were getting annoyed at my story dragging out for so long. The clue thing is definately cool, but don't think it was really used at all last event, cause I didn't see any puzzles. Just hoping that there are puzzles from time to time that allow the Sages to shine.
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

Faerykin wrote: In the second: when you're hiding out on the outskirts of town, you can always be utilized to drag dead bodies up to the Orc Cabin for future ressurection. :wink:
Don't think I didn't appreciate that.

I had a great time. Unfortunatly, I just barely missed every battle Friday night. But there was an Orc stand off that did last long enough for morning to arrive. Very tense...very cool.

I really liked the cave stuff. It was crazy compacted. And that 15 crush call....holy shit!

I liked the goblin army. I didn't so much like the Ga'vyn army. After all I got dead....for a while anyway.

All and all I had a great time.
Lost my train of thought.....
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Ovak Stonecrusher wrote:I think I hear a cry for more Wayne puzzles! I love those things, at least when there isn't a mistake in it :P
Wait, there's puzzles without mistakes? :shock:
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

I thought this was the best event yet, and was really impressed with the organization of the NPC's. It was a nice change to wrap up a plot or two without having six more get started! Excellent job by all the newbies, they really added a lot to the event.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

To Bob specifically; (to every one else too, but less specifically :) )

All the PC's who NPC'ed changed clothes to lessen the chance of being mistaken for being In-Character, but in the dark its tough to tell the difference. One way we are going to resolve that, and other problems*, is better costuming via the tabbard system as earlier stated. But you have to admit it made for a much cooler scene having 12 guys marching accross the feild, then it would have if it were only the 4 of us. :roll:

*problem occured when Nelkie tried to NP a fully armored warrior, because he didnt realize I was wearing armor, (head band)

My solution is tabbards in colors for different races, and a smaller, thinner tabbard for armor, to wear over the first. I think I can have 4-6 of them by next event if I can get my sewing machine running.

~fin~
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Fun

Post by Nelkie »

It was a great event and I loved the orginized checkin and out. The resources tags being implemented and the plots running smoothly. Great job. I have to agree with Vince this was one of thebest events. I feel the awards where well balanced. More puzzels for the sages would be good.

Nerve Pinch a fully armor person was fun, I ran for my life after it didn't work. If possible, can a list of what customing means be written up. Example, if a npc has a white head band they are in full plate armor, a red tabert is a dwarf, a orange sash means a PC is playing a monster, etc...

I was a little confused also in the Nosh battle on who was a NPC monster and who was an orc. There was a couple of times I almost attacked some of our Orc ally's.

What I would like to see is the NPC's understand the rules a little better. I don't mind being a walking rule book, but it is disheartening when a NPC has to ask a PC what the rules are. A good example is the barbrain Gavin, some of them where swinging crush but not taking vorpal as per the skill. Now if they where using a different skill not in the book, that is cool, but if they where barbrains, than that is different. I think the battle would have gone differently if they where taking vorpal damage when they where swinging crush. 12 backstab cuts through those life points quickly.

I wrote up of list of questions about the rules that would help clarify alot of questions nobies have. If they could get added into the book it would make the game that much smother.

Over all great job, keep it up, and it will only get better from hear. We only need to fine tune and clarify stuff. :D
My Thoughts

Aaron