Final Haven October Event, 2006

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Sethreal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sethreal »

I had a blast this past event, and Must give mad props to all of the GM's, NPC's, and the players. I think my favorite part of the event was the mision to save king Rodrick. It was awesome.

Sethreal/ JJ
Former captain of the Azure Shields.
Laura
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Laura »

My head is still spinning and i am still trying to formulate my thoughts but I had a blast. I almost did not have time to catch my breath. We hit the ground running Friday and did not stop until game off. For me it all started when Shall left a group of us hanging in the receiving circle and we were stuck there. But i would have to say that the plot to get King Roderick from Woodhold castle was the best. It just flowed so well. I forgot that it was a game. So bravo to the GM's and NPC's on that plot. As for the ball and feast Thanks to all i had a blast. I know that you ladies and Sen put a lot of work into it and it really paid off. I was a little sad that Laura could not go to the feast but it was great to just play a villager for a while. The ball went off without a hitch and it was great to have something to unwind with and it gave us a sense of celebration. I hope that this becomes an annual thing. I also liked the amount of role-playing that was going on. It was well balanced with the amount of action. It was also great to see a lot of new faces there. I hope that i got to meet all of you if not I am sorry and I will try to meet you next time. Over all great job to all and I can not wait for next year!!!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
~Henry David Thoreau~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Thanks for the comments!

A couple things on the complaints.

1) The spell packets HAVE to be considered in-game or we run into the situation of having to allow a way to get them during a scene. During one game stop that was going to be a bit lengthy we alowed spell packets to be thrown back and forth which was fine. The next time it was asked to throw packets back was when we were already done with the game stop so it was going to be needed to extend the game stop just for packet throwing which I could not advocate.

As for your frustration when we went OOG to collect them I can only guess this is due to a sence of unfairness. We as GM's only hope is to provide a challenge. We, at that time, had no spell packets so to help add a sence of fun we needed to get them. We decided to go down 1 NPC to help collect packets. I can definitly understand the frustration and will reccomend a different approach. Next time I will call a game stop and I will ask for a donation of packets before a battle or perhaps create a 2k golem that has no other purpose but to collect packets. This golem is ofcourse killable if you want to do so, and since it is in-game it can collect packets. :)

As for the many game stops due to spells. Well this is why we had min casting rules back in the day. The min casting rules were disgarded because people were confused how to use them, thought they added complexity for an event that would NEVER occure.

Personally, you can guess where I stand. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I had a blast! Both as Onyx and as Atrum. So much to do and lots and lots of role-playing going on. It seemed like everyone was making an effort to describe mechanics with IG speak, and rarely going out of character which for me makes things so different.

It seems like every game there are a few new faces and I hope all those people had as much fun as most seemed to have this weekend.

And my hand is fine for the most part. It's healing fine, almost as if I were endothermic with healing powers :lol: it's not tender, overly discolored or oozing any nastiness. The new skin doesn't burn like the fires of hell anymore which means that it's killing less stuff in there each time and a little patience and care while applying and I only need 1 butterfly to keep it closed now.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I had fun as usual. I never have seen some many chip draws for people coming back from being dead in my life. This was a high death event, but nobody perma died. I have to say thanks to everyone who went on the 5 hour cave plot on Friday. By 7:00 am, I know we didn't know right from left. It was hard, many people died, but in the end, I believe we had fun!!
Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

Fantastic Event! Had a great time on both NPC and PC based plots. From building my guild's numbers to Amagus's demise, to the party, the PC interaction was great! From "Not Laggy" to the sieges, I had an excellent time on everything.

My only disappointment was the packet rulings and that may have been more for safety's sake than anything else (not sure if I mentioned this in my post under the rules section last night. That's what I get for being long winded.). Due to the packets being "in game", I had to crawl between the guys fighting at the doorway, exposing pretty much only my head (lucky for me I didn't get whapped in the head hard) so that I could pick up packets off of the ground. I probably wouldn't have a problem with an OOG NPC or Golem or what-not if it was throwing packets both directions. What it really came down to with the packet issue was that I sacrificed my personal safety in order to retreive more packets.

As for the gamestops, I had no problem with them. I've seen Arcanes used well in the past, but never like this. We ended up with a great plan and it was executed nearly flawlessly. The battle was very cool from start to finish.
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

Sorry, I have not posted before this everyone. I am so happy the event turned out the way it did. I need to say thanks to Sen you did a grate job on the feast. I wait to say thanks to Jade for helping Sen with the food. Thanks to the GMs for letting a PC Ball tack place in the mist of a jam packed event. Esmeralda is the best she is the one that did the dessert bar at the ball just so she gets full credit for it. (Wanted everyone to know)

Esmeralda and I had so much fun with the ball we are talking about one for next year. I think it would be grate if the finest warriors of Haven and the village got together for a tenement on the eve of the ball and feast. Who ever wins the tenement would be the guest of honor at the ball. Just an idea…….what do you all think?
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
Laura
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Laura »

I think that is a fantastic idea...I think we could always use something to celebrate
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
~Henry David Thoreau~
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

That would be reat. You could have say three tournements in kings rules. One magic, one ranged and one with melee weapons. That would be cool.
Travis Cole
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

You do realize that would have made Onyx the ball "guest of honor" this past event. :lol:
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

I'll pause the purring to speak now.

Friday - Great to see Jamus again (and have a name for him, heh) with yet more dreams of doom and destruction. Treasure hunting for puzzle pieces was a nice change from the usual and watching Tonia piece it together was great. The cave was long, deadly and interesting. Tired as I was, the odd mix of puzzles was a nice touch. Felt like an idiot but that's not unusual for me so no biggie. Thought we were toast in that last part...

Saturday - Well-paced between "downtime" and "crunchtime". Awesome PC stuff going on, especially over Amagus. Not to mention the timing of a certain prisoner being released right before we had the clue of how to really question him. D'oh!

It was great to get dressed up in ball garb right before we might die in a battle (perfect for the character, "If I must die, I will die beautifully." :lol: ) Hearing the fighting echo throught the woods was freaky as hell (wonder how the peasants were taking it). Sad I missed the rescue of Roderick(not that I'd have been of use). Sounded smooth and satisfying for all.

The ball and feast were a great mix of interaction, frivolity, and believe it or not, yet more freakiness. The last being thanks to the masked men, more passing out and shushing gestures...I need to keep a tally of how many times I fall unconscious every event.

Loved the dire feeling of time running out on Sunday with the Ishanian plot. And then of course Mike's ending interaction, with creepy song.

*the purring continues*
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

Happy Dance :D :D .......I love the idea of having three tournements. If we had thought of this before Onyx would of had all he could eat and been very fat and happy.
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

Forgot to say:

Tournaments sound very cool. Yes, please, to more annual ball/feasts. Many thanks to Travis, Marie, and Melissa for food, fun, and awesome presentation.
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell