May Event, 2006 (Winter Haven Staff Event)

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

May Event, 2006 (Winter Haven Staff Event)

Post by Onimaster »

Well, I finally just made it home, and I am exhausted.

I tell you, I feel drained to my core in so many ways that I was not expecting. This weekend was a roller coaster ride of logistics, action, emotion, learning, and... mud. You all made the whole endeavor worth every moment.

I want to personally be first to thank all the players who attended for showing up and playing with us.

I would also like to thank JJ, SoCo, Natalie, Brett, Angela,Courtney, and Eric Fransik (The new guy) for NPCing with us, and say that they did a great… an amazing job. We couldn’t have done nearly as well without you, and your efforts are deeply appreciated. Also, thanks to the players we tapped to help us in special situations.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

A tip of the hat to you and yours Matt. I think this was a good Event bar none. The fact that it was a First for you guys only makes it all the more of a success. Kudo's.
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

Barring Tullus's bad luck in 'helping' in most fights. I had a lot of fun. I pretty much achieved all of my goals for this game with Tullus. Right now I see my new character closer to comic relief than a hero. He's pretty much Jaxor with big explosives. :)

I enjoyed roleplaying my character's inability to stop talking. I enjoyed the quests. I enjoyed the npc concepts. It was good game.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

I am a tough critic, and I’ll be the first to admit it. I’ve been larping for almost 10 years, and so I know what I demand from any given larp event I attend, regardless of the event. I will honestly admit that I was apprehensive about the idea about the new GM staff… given that not only is FH a game and mechanics system I love, in a world I love, but the folks in question have only even been larping for less than 3 years. That being said… I was blown away. I really tried to express to many of you on the WH GM staff how very much fun I had and what a wonderful job I felt you did because you truly did. Not only was your first event a resounding success, wonderful in every way (save the rain >.<), but you really embraced the job given you and took to it with style and grace. Not a thing at all easily done.

Some of my favorite things:

1. Even though there are a lot of us with very similar skill sets, and in this case I mean the sages, you made each of us feel like we brought something unique. Even if it was the same information we were sharing, the presentation and angle thereof was different for each person, so that if felt unique. It makes a person feel special, and that is so very important.

2. Puzzles. OMG- I love puzzles. I played a Lore Master at CARPS for almost 4 years… and love me some good puzzling and loreing. The puzzles and complicated historical unraveling were wonderful. It was good fun for we sagey types, who often take mostly a back seat, to be so needed.

3. Props. I love props… I love props… I love props… I love props… Awesome job with those.

4. Drama. Holy drama, Batman! At least for me, there were so many wonderful moments of role playing. You know those moments… where you really are your character and it is no longer an act, but total character mastery? Yeah… I had a bunch of those. Vaun was no longer work… but a living being. The amazing balance of action, intrigue, and down time made everything perfect. I never felt totally overwhelmed, like I so often do with Robin, nor was I EVER bored.

5. Rolling with the punches. There were several occasions in which the GM’s made an awesome call that only made the role playing even better. Even if a thing was not strictly by the rules, or exactly defined, you ALWAYS sided with the outcome that made for the best story and role playing. You went out of your way, for me anyway, to roll along with my unique… situation… and that made the event for me. Seriously.

In the end, this was a fantastic event, in every way. Even the rain and mud were not able to lessen my fun or dampen my spirits. I really have to say that I now can’t wait to play the next WH event, because you guys have set one hell of a bar.
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

Awesome, just Awesome. Aside from saying, "Thank you" I dont know what else I can really say. Thank you to the players for the great role-playing fun, thank you to the GM's for the fun plots, the cool puzzles, and the great twists and intrigue.

Evan
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I had a great time, I think you peeps did a great job. There was plenty for every achetype to do. I only have 2 suggestions that really are in the same vein.

If you're going to have NPC flight then a system needs to be worked out for taking off and landing. CARPS has a really good system now for flight. There's no way a PC wouldn't notice a 600 pound gargoyle landing especially when they know they're there but can't melee attack them.

Ghosts that jump back and forth between tangible and immaterial at will quickly.

PC's will get angry very quickly (rightly so IMO) when you're fighting something and all of a sudden out of nowhere it takes off or goes immaterial instantly. And then as soon as you start to walk or run away it's instantly back and attacking you.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Sethreal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sethreal »

I would like to thank the WH GM staff for allowing me the awesome opportunity to NPC this last event. It was my first time and I was still allowed to bring my own ideas into the game and really enjoy myself. I would also like to thank the PC's for the great roleplaying that was going on. Throughout the event I got to take the persona of so many different things which is a challenging and rewarding experience that I will not soon forget. Thanks again to everyone involved.

JJ
Former captain of the Azure Shields.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

It was great fun, to be sure! But, yes, performing an out loud 5 count on taking off, landing, emerging from the ground, fading in and out, etc. is needed. Also we've had three potentially game-resetting events in a row now. It's a bit much IMHO. Active puzzles require a continuous NPC presence.

But all in all it was a good time. I don't know how wide-spead the individual PC attention was, but it's GREATLY appreciated. The Amagus plot sure had me feeling both involved and important. It's a great deal of hard, detailed work to try to involved PCs on an individual basis - major kudos there!

And you kept up the fine Final Haven tradition of keeping the event very busy - we almost always had multiple groups out accomplishing things.

Incredible job!!!
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

We were expecting there to be an arctic blast waiting for us at the top of the hill, and dead gargoyles in a very short span of time.

I agree though that the flying needs to be made more clear. Should we use them in the future, I like the five second out loud count for take offs. Landing would instant.

Thanks for the Feedback, both positive and negative. We like to here the good things, we NEED to hear the bad things, so they can be rectified. :twisted:
Travis Cole
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Uhm the landing is the part that really needs the count, like I said there's no way a 600 lb gargoyle goes from flying to landing right behind you without you knowing it.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Or if you want to PM us constructive negative feedback privatly that's also fine.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

I had a great time and give props to Fesko! That was one of the best short scenes ever...

"Killll themmmmm, muahahaha...." lol
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I could see a count for that, except that gargoyles are born to flight. They spend their lives in the air hunting land bound prey. They don't so much and land, as drop. That's what makes dive bombing attacks so lethal.

But I could easily go in for a loud landing announcment.
Travis Cole
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Atrum Draconus wrote:Uhm the landing is the part that really needs the count, like I said there's no way a 600 lb gargoyle goes from flying to landing right behind you without you knowing it.
No, but one could come crashing out of the sky and land on your head... I could see a landing call, but not a count.

Either way, the point is heard, and rather than fill up the feedback with talking about it we will discuss if we ever use them again. :)
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Eli wrote:I had a great time and give props to Fesko! That was one of the best short scenes ever...

"Killll themmmmm, muahahaha...." lol
Yes, I rolled laughing when the guys told me about it. You rock Doug.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage