The passage of time and our online evolution.

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

The passage of time and our online evolution.

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

If you're anything like me, you are both excited at the prospect of the upcoming event and just a bit bewildered at the fact that six months have passed. What had seemed like an eternity between games quickly became a mad rush to finish projects and plans in time for the event. I, for one, think that says something about the game and the people in it. Any time I wonder about the value of games like these, I only have to look to what people give up to participate in them.

It must look funny to an outsider, seeing dozens of otherwise responsible adults pouring time and money into what many would consider a "silly game". Many of us juggle work, school, spouses, and children every day, making it all the more amazing that we can find time to indulge our strange affection for hitting people with foam sticks. We put extraordinary effort into a hobby that often earns us the ridicule of our peers, and there's something about the way people label us that makes me even happier to be involved.

Simply stated, they just don't get it. In the same way that I can't get into celebrity worship and reality TV, they can't get into fantasy roleplaying. So be it. I won't judge their hobbies, even if they judge mine. What I will say is this: there are few more intense, engaging, and meaningful pastimes for creative and intelligent people than what we do. Period. I'm sure seeing J-lo up close or having your favorite person be the last off the island is powerful for some people, but I'm just arrogant enough to claim that the depth and profundity of our games is somewhat more significant. I have found gaming paralells in all aspects of my professional life, and the skills I developed fighting demons and courting maidens have netted me at least one job and several internationally recognized awards. There's a reason we get "experience" at the end of a game, and it's not just the character that's improving.

In addition to our four or five gatherings each year, we've had the opportunity to explore our world online - thus allowing us to continue our adventures in the brief-but-interminable period between events. Over the past year we've seen the ability of the online venue to encapsulate our world grow, be tested, and grow some more. These stories have all added to the richness of our world, and as the LARPing season begins anew, I would just like to thank everyone involved in providing us with more tales to tell over the last six months. It's not the easiest medium to work with, and I think that all the GMs have done an excellent job of bringing Phanterra (and Eldesta, thank you) to life on the forums. It provides those of us who are hungry for more Final Haven with at least a byte-sized meal to tide us over, and we appreciate it.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

You said it Taki. I don't think you could add anything to that to make it a better statment of how it all really is. GOOD JOB!!!!!!! :D 8)
"Fear is only in your mind."

Captain of the Black Talon Unit
"Leadership is found, not chosen."
Phoenix Guard

Dick VERMEIL is a smooth mother

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

You said it Taki. I don't think you could add anything to that to make it a better statment of how it all really is. GOOD JOB!!!!!!! :D 8)

Phoenix Guard

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

Phoenix Guard

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

Phoenix Guard

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

Phoenix Guard

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Heh heh. This brings to mind when my brother dropped by my house Monday. He asked me what I’d been up to over the Easter break, and so I showed him my nearly completed reptilian shnoz. He was very impressed, but after inspecting it he looked at me and said, “You do know you and your friends are extremely weird, right?” He was dead serious.

I had to laugh. This was a guy who as a teen collected and played nearly every role-playing game in existence. Only a couple years ago he had made his own hardened leather armor for wearing to the Ren Faire. I had to point out just how square and close-minded he had become since having kids. To his credit, he agreed.

However he, along with probably 90% of the world, IS very closed minded. There’s only one correct way of doing things – his way. Your entertainment must be sports (what’s so great about watching other people having fun?). Your hobbies must consist of house and yard maintenance (I, personally, am not in competition with my neighbors for ‘Most Beautiful Lawn’). All thought must be with the here and now – even reading fiction is a waste of time. You must conform to the ideals of the masses.

Indeed, for the most part society is bound and determined to suppress imagination – what I consider humanity’s greatest asset. I love imagination. I love anything that celebrates imagination (Halloween, of course, is my favorite holiday). I can think of no greater source of joy and peace than a free mind. So why does the bulk of the population seek to bottle theirs up and impose stifling restrictions? I can’t comprehend how most people, including my brother, hate, fear, and can’t accept any activity or behavior outside the norm for the simple reason that it is outside the norm.

I love my brother, but I’m very proud and happy that I’m not him.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Post enough Scot?? :lol:
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

I was about to ask the same question Matt.

BTW you know when you are amped up for the event and to have these awsome interactions with people when a bakery explodes in your kitchen.

That's about all I can think of adding to what Taki said earlier.

:D
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.