Poison, Florentine, Interogator, and Impale

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

yah, you would think that resisting poison from a call with poison in it would negate it. since the damage is coming from the poison, not the blow itself.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

I'm under the impression that if you can resist one part of the damage call, you resist the entire damage call.

Mind you, that's CARPS (Fear Deathstrike is weaker than Deathstrike as there's more ways to resist it), and I may be confusing that rule interpretation with Final Haven.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

That was how I always thought it should be too.. but I remember a big discussion about how Poison specifically did not work that way.. (I was on the side of if you resist the call you resist all the effects).. I like it that way better because it encourages people not to add more calls to an attack.. cause if they do then it is more likely someone can resist the attack.

I.E. 6 Magic Poison .. this way resist magic or resist poison could ignore this attack. I like it that way myself. My hope is that is the way it goes and stays.
celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

well, since in haven(as far as i can tell and i am no expert by any means) rules exactly "how" damage is dealt is up to the player, since it is only rp. mechanicly the damage dealt is only a number, so one could summize that the poison is separate from the call, but that would entail useing 2 numbers, for example, if the poison was separate from the damage you would have to say "2 poison 3" or something like that, but otherwise it is assumed that any other words added on to a call are the source from which the number is derived, for example again, a call of "3 crush poison" would mean that you are dealing 3 damage, which is delivered under the crush rules, and is derived from a poison source.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

celegar wrote:yah, you would think that resisting poison from a call with poison in it would negate it. since the damage is coming from the poison, not the blow itself.
Poison doesn't do damage anymore, hasn't in a few years, now it makes it so you can't activate any skills. It used to do damage and there was the # poison # call. So the damage comes from the blow since for the poison to affect you it HAS to reach your life pts. Either through beating you down or vorpal.

I think it should be that poison and disease work differently because they aren't a type of damage, they are an effect that takes damage to your life to harm you. It's like if you are hit with a root, you either have free movment, some other way to resist it or are rooted. But I wouldn't bitch about the other way for simplicity's sake. Especially since KO has a number component to it's effect that has to hit your life too. It just doesn't make rational sense, but soem things balance and simplicity may be deemed more important.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Im going to concour(sp) with eric on this one, it didnt make sense to me that if i shot someone with a poisoned arrow, they could resist the poison but not be effected by the arrow sticking out of there chest
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

It's all on how it's RPed. If the resist poison call affects the entire call, then once could assume the arrow was dodged or didn't penetrate the armor.

I brought up a similar aguement a few years back at CARPS when trying to understand the RP side of using a Resist Damage to counter a Deathstrike call.

Deathstrike kills you outright. If you're hit by it, and can't resist it somehow, you're dead. Now, say you use a Resist Damage to survive -

Did you dodge out of the way? No, 'Dodge' is a different call (which would also counter a Deathstrike).
Did you block the strike with your shield? No, 'Block' is also a different call.
Did you parry the strike with your sword? No, 'Parry' is yet another call.

So when using Resist Damage, does that mean the attack does hit you, rips through you heart and/or brain, yet somehow you and your armor yet remain unhurt?

The answer was no. Even though you didn't use Block, Parry, or Dodge, you RP it as though you did somehow pull off a heroic move of some sort and prevented the strike from connecting.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Heh, I think that's why I always thought of resist pain\damage like what Master Pain\Betty does in Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. It hit's you alright, it just doesn't hurt you.

Right, but that also affects the balance of resist poison GREATLY and I would contend that it should be EXTREMELY limited and a 4th level skill only and certainly not a free race skill. The only other resist that allows you to resist any melee damage is resist magic and that one is very rare and only a 4th level skill. Poison will be swung against people ALOT more than magic will. Magic actually makes it easier to not take melee damage in most cases.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Actually, I had always assumed that disease and popison are in a class by themselves. I though the *poison* suffix was there only as something that took effect if that damage hits your life points. I had always thought (and played) that the damage still hurt you, you just negated the added effect.

I can only imagine how unbalanced disease and poison could become in combat if you can negate all the damage, too. Imagine Rhul (a beastman) facing off against the poo gremlins earlier this year. He could have simply waded in to take on all of them as once, as that appeared to be all they could throw, so they could never hurt him unless they started swinging normal damage especially for him.

In effect, if someone stabs you with a poisoned sword, and you can resist the poison's effects on your system, don't you still have a hole in you, and if a diseased beastman slashes you with their claws, isn't he still hitting you with the claws?
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Going as a savage dwarf you can be immune to Poison, Disease, Fear, and resist Magic, and thats without a path
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

It was ruled a year ago that you still take the damage of a posion and disease call if you resist them, but you do not take the posion or disease effect.

There has been talk about making all the resist the same, if you resist any part of the effect, you resist all the effect, but this is still up in the air.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

I'd say that Dani and I are on the same page with this. Poison and Disease should be a seperate entity when taking resist/immune into consideration. It really doesn't complicate things any, and kind of makes sense, because of my example above, I'd think.

They are both things that can only take effect after the damage is already been done, and even then only if they hit life points. It's not like you are using your innate abilities to dissipate a ball of magical energy- you are still getting hit with something.

Even when resisting a melee attack because it's magic, I always figured it was the actual magic doing the damage of the attack (because of it's ability to surge though a defender's weapon) rather than the weapon it was surrounding.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

All resists are the same. You resist the whole call.

Resist poison is not really a resist if you read it. It really more of a limited one second immunity. Personally, it's misleading and should just be a normal resist but *shrug* whatever.

Immunities are different in that you only remove that portion of the call. So Immunity to disease means you still take 1 from "1 Disease" while resist disease means you take 0.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

dier_cire wrote: Immunities are different in that you only remove that portion of the call. So Immunity to disease means you still take 1 from "1 Disease" while resist disease means you take 0.
I dont think thats the case, by that logic if one were immune to magic (not possible but example) and was hit with a 30 magic and was immune they would just take 30 damage.

if you resist the call, you resist all of it.
if your immune to a call, your immune to all of it

(my thoughts not rule)
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Then by that logic a dwarf with druid and eater of the dead takes no damage from anything with the words poison or disease...

That's kinda gross.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.