The next few days...

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Onimaster wrote: he slips the cigarette between his lips and lights it before sitting quietly to wait and relax.
*looks quite coldly at the mage as he begins his spell, but for all the world it has naught for what he may or may not think the real cause is...

BEFORE HE LIGHTS UP

"I do so hope you plan to take that stick of death out of this building before you plant that spark upon it. If one must partake of this disgusting, self loathing, lethal, habit of slow suicide, please do so out away from the rest of us."

That is when the arcane realizes the look of hatred in his eyes has nothing to do with him, but it is that stick of death between his lips, which draws the attention of the birdman.
*Seeing 3 birdmen in the road Corbyn asks:
"Donmayo can we trust these travelers?"
-They are Avyana, of course not"
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

-Donmayo of Mahuru April 1055 PEW
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

*After the disparaging look at the filth cigarette Don Mayo’s face changes to one of humility, and his cheeks turn a slight color of red. He kneels to Dallid, “I am sorry Wise One of the Light, and I meant you no disrespect. If I have caused you any then say the word, and I will repay the Toh I owe you thee. I simply wished to share some of my thoughts with the Lady, and spoke out of turn. I will remain here, as my Lady requested, to offer any advise that one such as I may, when called upon, and by my honor speak not out of my turn or place again. By you leave Wise One.” *The honor shown by the tribe of Light toward their Wise Ones was not something that a simple member of the Protector Order should have violated and an old one like Don Mayo should have know better.
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Donmayo wrote:I do so hope you plan to take that stick of death out of this building before you plant that spark upon it. If one must partake of this disgusting, self loathing, lethal, habit of slow suicide, please do so out away from the rest of us."
Shale groans as he stamps it out looking up to Donmayo frustrated, but conceeding the birdman's wish. He sat quietly and pulled over an ale taking a long swallow and munched dry rations to quell the need for his hands to do something.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

In the Inn

Post by Torakhan »

*Quen, the hobbling man who tends to the fires and the rest of the physical needs of the building, makes his way out to the shed at the back of the building. Taking lumber and tools from the store, he begins working on fixing the damaged exterior of the building where someone apparently tried to burn it down earlier. He mutters and grumbles, clomping his way back and forth as he gathers up his supplies and tools before he begins prying off the charred and splintered wood and begins repairing the building.*

*Quen mutters and grumbles, watching the strangers here, but he seems diligent to his duties here at the "Inn" (even though he claims it's a "lodge"). At night, he wanders the floor, clomping his way back and forth, poking at the fires and adding wood to keep the "guests" warm enough to keep from freezing. He naps during the day though, in order to be awake enough to keep the fires going at night*
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Donmayo nods appreciatively to the arcane as steps on the smoke and puts out the death stick. Those things have no place near a woman with egg err child as the humans say.
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

*Dallid remains focused on Robin*

This perspective. Participating in this conversation until its end. You have just relived trying events for me, and suffered for it. Analysing those events - placing them in perspective - will be far worse. You may not feel ready to focus so closely on such pain. However, I assure you there is no better time. Now, before the defenses of the mind have constructed considerable fortifications around the percieved agony, only to have denied itself a source of strength, and left crucial areas vulnerable to assault.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Kidwynn looks over to Dallid.*

I understand the concept of what you ask of her, but is there anyway this ordeal you would like to place the Lady under could be done in a more private location so not everyone will be watching?
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

Robin tilted her head to one side, regrading Dallid, her friend, for some time befor answering. "I would see this thing done, and presently, as you advise. I agree... and it is a path and process to which I am bound. I cannot risk there being any weakness in me about this. Not for the sake of my son, for the sake of my Beloved, or for the sake of Haven." She gave him a reassuring nod, and there was a look of iron determination in Robin's eyes.

She placed a hand on Kidwynn's shoulder. "Nay, my friend. I will not hide behind any walls this time. Let any observe that would, and judge me as they wish. I have nothing to hide, not from Haven." She smiled at her friend, ever a protecting hand when needed.

The Lady returned her focus upon Dallid, folding her hands in her lap and giving him her full attention. She was calm, steady, and ready to face anything through which he might bring her.

"What would you have of me, Dallid?"
"Is misery made beautiful, right before our eyes?
Will mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Listen and respond.

T'was a fell day indeed when the artifact of the Ancients' Cave was sought - when a number of Haven's defenders were ripped from Phantara to struggle for survival in an alien plane. An uncommon series of unfortunate events brought all into dire straights - one might even see the elements of prophesy in them. Many lives lay at risk in both this world and the Other as phantom assailants struck from the ether with unknown intent. They struck with magic, up close and afar, but such was not their most dread weapon.

No. Also they struck with lies and deceit, used the road of Fear to sow distrust and dispair amongst the ranks. And thus came defeat.

The first true weapon of their dark arsenal came unlooked for, save through possible prophesy. Haven had become utterly divided - some in Phantara, some elsewhere - with neither party able to render aid nor communicate with the other, though they could percieve one another's distress. And though they had all ready fought long and hard against many abominations, a Fear only now began to surpass their bravery. A most insideous Fear that can worm past the sternest minds. For though Haven's defenders are strong against Fear for themselves, few have ever sought barriers against Fear for their comrades. To fortify against such would seem treachery! But through such unguarded ways did the Dark find entry.

Now Fear is a unique emotion. Of itself it is not of the nature of the Dark. Fear is necessary and most useful. With it life may florish. It may be viewed as a boundary between Light and Dark - an identifier. However, it may also act as a bridge. Should the Fear be great, the Darkness can pour through to cloud reason, drown patience, and spawn hatred and distrust. It can confuse the identity between Light and Night, and turn back beneficial efforts to become destructive ones.

It was with Fear that the enemy worked now. Fear they sought to increase through which more formidible weapons could be brought to bear. Those of Haven in Phantara focused their efforts toward bridging the worlds and uniting their strength. Doing so would releave their fear, and the enemy would be thrown back. This the enemy could not have, and they in turn focused their efforts on preventing the completion of the Ritual. And this is all they needed to do, for they merely desired time for the Fear to grow large enough to accomodate their fell aims.

Though the damaged they inflicted upon those in Phantara was small, the enemy seemed limitless in number. So while Haven did not fall, the enemy did not relent, the ritual to unite Haven was repeatedly disrupted, and the battle continued. On and on it continued. All the while Fear in both worlds grew. Fear for those on the opposite side.

But those in Phantara had at least the battle to distract them. Those caught Elsewhere could do little but dwell upon their fear, for they could do no harm to the foe, and the fear swelled. Thus through bloated Fear was Darkness able to employ its next true weapon - Dispair.

Dispair saps the will to fight, to continue, to live. It weakens the defenses of both mind and body, and allows Darkness to move in and take hold.

Those Elsewhere Dispaired at their inability to help their friends. They Dispaired of their separation. Dispaired against their inability to help themselves. Dispaired at the progress of the fighting, the continued disruptions of the Ritual. And so Darkness took root - festered and grew to obscure the Light. And upon the building blocks of Fear and Dispair came Desperation, and the mind suffered.

Should this perspective not apply, please state so. Otherwise, I will continue.
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

Robin thought for a very long time upon that which Dallid had said, unmoving, unspeaking. She seemed as if carved in stone for a very long time, until at last she met the gaze of the Druid and she shook her head.

"No, I do not think that I agree completely. Fear there was, to be sure, and I was not least in it. However, it was not because of fear that I acted, nor because of desiapre. No, it was in and because of love that I acted, at least. Love for Corbyn that I would do anyhting to see him safe and protected. Love for Haven that I would give of myself rather than see my friends and townsfolk suffer."

She took a deep breath. "I belive with everything that I am, Dallid, that my motovation was love and not despair. Had I been in despair, I would have permitted others to be the ones to make the hard choices. With desiapr there is room for nothing but thoughts of the self. In sooth, I was the last person about whom I was thinking. The asme is true of fear. I person consumed by fear is little able to see beyond their own situation, and hardly care about the plight of others."

Robin shrugged. "So, while your sequence of events is accurate, the motovations you describe are not. it was love, my friend, and not fear which made my choice and path clear to me."

She desisted in speaking, waiting for his responce.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

No, Fear was merely the beginning. Love played a part to be sure, but could not be attacked by the Darkness until sufficient weapons could be brought against it.

With Fear did Darkness gain entry. With Dispair did it gain a foothold in the mind. With Desperation were the defenses of the mind thrown down. Desperation prompts action without thought - destroys patience. An immediate solution is sought - dependence on others to achieve results becomes unexceptable. Thus was trust in those of Phantara to obtain victory eroded.

With the weapons of Fear, Dispair, Desperation, and Distrust behind it, the entity within Incarious struck. It sought a powerful feeling with which to drive his foes to folly. It found Love.

If what lies between you and Corbyn is true, then rejoice, for you have achieved the epitomy of sentient existence. The ultimate source of joy, beauty, strength, hope, comfort, and life, Love is a treasure infinately beyond price. It is the antithesis of the Dark, and the Dark hates it. Darkness desires nothing more than to twist Love into a grotesque mockery of itself - to corrupt it into a selfish thing, a thing of hatred, doubt, and jelousy.

Because Love is held so dear, the threat of its loss becomes a most dire thing. And through that threat Love, itself, can become a dire thing. Thus did Love become the ultimate weapon employed by the Night during all the struggles that day.

The Entity within Incarious saw Love between you and Corbyn, and with deceit twisted it for its own use.

It claimed to you it could kill Corbyn, that it would kill Corbyn, lest another life was sacrificed. It claimed that should a life be sacrificed to it, it would end all conflict and open the way to Phantara. With Fear was its deceit hidden. The mind was too clouded to question why, if the Entity could kill so easily, had it not yet done so? With Distrust, no hope remained for those on Phantara to achieve victory. With Desperation was an immediate solution greatly coveted. With dispair was surrender to its whim acceptable.

And what was it offering in truth? It offered only what Haven could already achieve, though it sought to thwart Haven's efforts. In time, perhaps Haven could open the way. However, the Entity could deliver that goal now. In truth, all it really offered was ease and speed. In essence, it offered nothing.

In turn it want something of incalcuable value. It wanted a life. You could give it. You would die so the others trapped with you could survive, so Corbyn would survive. This is the choice you settled upon. Indeed, such an act would be a good and honorable one - Sacrificing yourself to save many, including your Love.

But with the fell tools at its disposal, the Entity corrupted your logic. Surely you understood Corbyn would rather die than see his child come to harm, but this reason was blocked from you. But you did know you would die for Corbyn. However, would not your death also bring about the death of your child? Blinded by the consuming Darkness of the Entity, your reasoning became dire, and you thought that if the child must perish regardless, what use then would your own death serve? Only one life was required by the Pact, and should you at least live, you could continue to protect Haven - you could remain with Corbyn. So was your nobel and honerable intent twisted into an ignoble and treacherous deed - you volunteered another's life for sacrifice, and your Light was extinguished, and you were in agony.

That is the way of the Dark - overpower with grief, hatred, pride, ambition, or dispair. Twist Love away from its source and collapse it in on itself. Then while its victim is most vulnerable, use lies, trickery and deceit to acquire great value at little or no cost.
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

Robin bowed he head. He really did make her sound evil. She could only whisper, “But does intent count for nothing? Whatever darkness may have used, my intent, my reason, was love. I could not perceive the plan of the enemy, and thus had only my own heart as a guide.”

She sighed. “What would you have of me, Dallid?” There was quiet sorrow in her voice. "I see the unending wisdom in your words, and now I see how you are right in many ways. I see your logic, and I understand. But what would you have of me?"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Strength, understanding, and knowledge.

Do not choke under the weight of guilt, for the ultimate source of this great evil was the Entity-within-Incarius, not you. You were duped into an action you normally would never perform by a creature adept at deceit. With the powers at its command it separated deed from will and intent. And now it would see you crushed beneath guilt, despair and sorrow – weakened and pliable, if not utterly destroyed, before the next encounter. Do not relent to its desires.

Rather than turning your energies against yourself, focus them against it. Transform defeat into strength. You have all ready begun at this, a good thing. But be careful not to take the form of consuming hatred, which is a dark emotion that clouds the mind, but as reasoning resolve to defeat the Pact and throw back the Entities designs. Have patience and think carefully how you should next face it. Prepare yourself.

The Light within you is rekindling. All ready it gains strength, absorbing the compassion so freely offered by those around you. Gradually it will banish the Darkness that has threatened to consume you. Gradually Dark emotions will fall away before the joyous. Guard the Light and be vigilant against encroaching Darkness.

Do this by understanding the Darkness against you. Know it is a thing of lies – lay no credence on what it may choose to tell or show. Face it with reasoning, and find the truths it so desperately hides. Know the limits of its nature - that it can never offer anything of truth, and anything it desires must never be given.

Guard your Love against it. Though it may threaten, know it can never destroy Love, only corrupt. Beware its insidious advances. Recognize how it seeks to twist Love against itself. Be prepared to lose the ones you love in order to save them.

And know your enemy. Know its origin, know its efforts. Know what it has accomplished and what it has lost. Know its desires. Know how to defeat it.

Above all, know it is a thing of deceit – that it will forever seek to corrupt the knowledge you obtain on it. You must confront it with truth. When you act against it, act with certainty.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Friend

Post by Nelkie »

*Arthos giving Robin a warn loving smile and friendly pat on the back*

Don't forget, you have many friends that will help and support you through this. You meant nothing but good for Corybn and Final Haven, and nobody can fault you for that. It's that drive what keeps this town alive. You have my sincre appreciation and respect for what you where trying to do. Just know I will be at your side until the bitter end for good or ill. This I pledge my sister.

*Arthos gives her a hug*
My Thoughts

Aaron
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

Robin threw her arms around Arthos, a radient smile on her face. The sorrow which had held sway over her seemed to be melting as she took strength in his words. "I love you too, Arthos," she whispered softly, kissing his cheek. "We're family, and we're in this together."

She turned her smile to Dallid. There was resolve, hope, and determination in her jade eyes. "My life from that moment on was devoted to understanding the Dark One and learning how he might be vanquished. Every hour between now and when we meet again is dedicated to that end, my friend. I will not give up my son for lost, not now and not ever. I don't care of the others damn me for what I have done, those who truly love my in return understand, and they're the only ones who matter." She reached out and squeezed Arthos' hand.

"I'm not feeling sorry for myself, because I believe with everything that I am that what was lost will yet be regained. I will, as you advise, take this time to learn patience, hone understanding and temperance. I will ponder my every move, analize it as you suggest. To best my foe, I must first best myself, and that is no easy task." She nodded. "I can do it, though. So long as those I love are with me, I can do anything."

She reached out and placed a hand on Dallid's. "Will you aid me in this, my friend? Will you help me cast down the Dark One and save the life of my son, of Haven?"