Seeking Atrum

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

At the words of the Lizardman, the mystic’s smile deepened. “Aye, let the earth drink well of the storm to come, for this wrath unleashed shall be as a flood.” She gave him a nod, seeing that perhaps there were folk of value in haven after all.

As Atrum drew near, a breathy chuckle escaped the Storm Elf. She raised a black painted eyebrow. “And whom doest thou think gifted these lands with that storm?” her features sharpened, anger flashing behind her very gem-like eyes. “I felt the presence of the hated Elves, knew they were about their vile ends, bastards! I would have unleashed all unholy wrath and unlight, had I had my way. However, thou hast asked me to… temper my furry, and so I try.”

She awarded him a carnivorous grin. “As for my absence, it is not in my custom, human, to come at thy will.” Vaun’s laugh was pure wickedness. “I cannot have thee growing… settled, now can I?”

She calmed down a measure to ponder his words. “The Dopplegagers stay clear of the Haven under my protection. They are weary of the folk here. However, I will speak to the elders and see if they should chose to become a more active folk. It is like they will simply ask me to serve as their voice, but we shall see. The young ones are growing restless… and I have been training them for the coming war. I shall go back and see what their desire might be, and return to thee as soon as I have word, like with Onyx. He does enjoy a good blood letting.”

When he caressed her face, Vaun almost imperceptibly leans into the gesture, then draws back and nods. Her features are set and cold once more, a look of absolute hatred carved on the winter white of her face. “The elves will not rest till they have enslaved every living thing they feel beneath them. They are faithless and cunning. They will treat with fair words, then betray thee in blood and ruin. They are tyrants all. But I stand at thy side. They will feel at last the vengeance of the Vau’An’dar, and none shall be spared the storm I bring down upon them.”
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

Eilonwy stares solemnly into Vaun's eyes when she speaks comforting words, honored to be shown such care from the cold woman. Then, accepting the key from Atrum, there is a nod in response to his request.

Spoken to the room at large, "Is there anyone here who carries more of Woden's possessions or knows who does? If not, I will begin my rounds."

Having a duty seems to be reassuring, strengthening.
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Teela Rainbalm
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Teela Rainbalm »

Teela comes in freshly cleaned and preened after dressing more of the animals from the recent attacks. To allow them to go to waste would be a sacrilege. She subtly sniffs the air and heads to the mourning seer, giving a shoulder an affectionate head butt. She sniffs around and gives a soft smile and a nod in the direction of Vaun. "How are you faring in this hideous heat?" After she notices the general preparations of everyone else in the Inn, she asks "Is there something I can do to be of help?"
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Kidwynn looks on in amusement as Atrum mentions how her and Sethreal protested to him going off by himself alone.*
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

Slisk surpressed a sigh. One more day. The trail was all ready cold, but the barbarians moved out enmass. The trail would not easily fade, and one more day would not break the quest.

He gave a brisk nod to Atrum. "Asss you wish, Regent of Haven."

Then he listened as Vaun described the enemy Elves. So the foe lacked honor, did they? That would simplify things. Slisk would show them neither respect nor courtesy on the battlefield. They will die as animals.
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

Coming back with Shea Rosamund walks up to Atrom may haps you would like to have a cleansing potion to help you think in your right mind for what need doing.
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum returns the nod to Eilonwy, happy to see the well of strength she posessed dipped into. He wondered silently if she even knew the strength she possesed, he could plainly see the family trait that he had noticed in Roland early on.*

Teela, if you have the time I would actually like for you to accompany us on a trek to reassure our allies and search for the remaining lizard folk that left the area a moon ago. Don't feel any pressure to join us if there are other matters you need to attend to. But as always your company would be appreciated.

*Atrum notices the slightest drop in Slisk's shoulders and he clasps him on one and looks directly into his fiery yellow eyes*
We WILL find them if it is possible, and we will do whatever we can to convince them to return.

*He stifles laughter barely and turns to Vaun*
Yeah we'll have to work on that custom thing, and I won't grow...settled as long as you don't become jealous.
*Raises an eyebrow and gives her a sly smile*

*Fails at stifling his laughter anymore*
My Lady, are you asking me if I want to cheat? Besides, I chose to drink in excess. I know that there are consequences to my actions. Avoiding those consequences unless there is a dire life and death circumstance to deal with will not remind me that every action has a consequence. Wiping away those consequences teaches us nothing, and in fact may teach us the wrong thing, that an easy way out is best, when in truth it rarely is.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

Vaun’s eyes narrowed almost imperceptibly. “Jealous?” And she laughed, realizing that he was only teasing her. “Take as many lovers as thou like, Atrum Draconus, I know full well you shall not find my like among them.” And there was, could it be, mischief behind her eyes. The icy Storm Elf’s close connection to the human seemed to be having a very… humanizing effect upon her.

She turned her attention for a moment back to Eilonwy. “If thou doth not wish to set upon this task alone, Eilonwy Nightshade, I would walk with thee. Thou hast but to ask it.” And she gave a little nod.

For Slisk, she had a cold smile. “I see there is a kindred spirit here, one I had not hoped to find. Be assured, warrior, that when the faithless betrayers who masquerade under fair form draw neigh, we shall show them such a torrent of merciless death that no bard will have the stomach to raise song about it evermore. T’will be a glorious day.”
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

Slisk straightened somewhat at Atrum’s words, taking heart at his promise. The barbarians would be found, all right.

Then Vaun spoke of war. She vowed no bard would bear to speak of it, but her promise of death and glory were music to his ears. The white female had the look of one steeped in magic, her words displaying an intelligence that enforced that perception. But her eyes held the fearless determination and bloodlust of a warrior. He had neither seen nor heard of these ‘Vau’An’dar’ before, but began to suspect they were as formidable as the Dwarves of Kunapan legend. His muscles tightened in anticipation of the battle she spoke of, and Slisk felt alive at it’s thought.

He gave a brisk nod to Vaun.

“Then I look forward to that day!”
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

The seer's smile in response to Vaun is shy but steady, "Thy company is always welcome as long as I would not delay thy leaving with Atrum's party. If there was time, I would gladly come in diplomatic capacity myself."

The words of war and bloodshed rush somewhat bewilderingly around the youth, causing the dark memory of touching cruel, bloodstained minds to resurface. One only a day ago, murderous father of a strange girl; the other forever cloaked in red, striding the landscape of Vaunaphasauk...

Knowing the sensitivity to violence is seen as a weakness, the young seer determinedly keeps a calm face, one hand barely pressing the table slightly harder. A bitter, inward laugh marked the thought of how this child could possibly be the ghet of Galen and Raven...
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Teela Rainbalm
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Teela Rainbalm »

"I would be happy to join you upon a quest to reassure allies about what is happening. I am ready to leave whenever you are ready, Atrum."

She pauses, pondering Vaun's words. "The elves that raised me really were different, then. Everything I have seen since I came to town point this out in a multitude of ways. The elves I am more familiar with spurned war, preferring to keep to themselves and their families. They did not even wish to spread out beyond the tree city, preferring to stay within borders that were sustainable for the forest. They also said nothing bad about other races, preferring to judge folk upon their own merit rather than any reputation about a whole race. This war mindset is probably why they purposefully isolated themselves from the rest of the world." She sighs and wonders silently to herself why it seems so difficult for everybody to just get along instead of needing to mark territory that they can't even use for any purpose but to say they have it. She understands that most races need to settle and farm land in order to eat, but the constant fighting seems to waste more energy than saving lives and hopes.
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

*The talk of bloodshed brought a steely look to the Preceptor's face as he looked over his notes. Seated at a table in the common room with Lightstorm at the ready, Donovan was pouring over the information he had gathered during the past few weeks. There were so many threats, so many possibilites for war, so many uncertainties that he found himself longing for the certainty of the Pass. At least there you knew who your enemies truly were and there was no question about the proper course of action.*

*When Atrum asks to speak with him privately he gives a nod and begins gathering his things.*

"Of course, Lord Regent. I'll await you in my office."

*The mood in Haven had changed as of late, and while he welcomed the renewed sense of action, Donovan's hesitation to embrace dreams of slaughter was visible on his face. The pirates had to be dealt with, and the elves as well, but he remembered all too well the lessons of his past. As he entered his room he stopped briefly, addressing the room as a whole*

"We will strike down our enemies, that much is certain, but we must not let fear and anger rule us. We will meet the wicked with honor in our hearts, and when we grant them final justice it will not be rage that guides our blades, but duty. Stray too far from the Light, even to protect it, and you will find yourself standing in Darkness."
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

The Vau’An’Darian woman softened and placed a slight touch upon Eilonwy’s arm. “The two can be done in concord, little one, so it is no trouble. Perhaps I shall even take thee with me to see the village I call home when I am not here. I think thou woulds’t find the doppelgangers interesting, if nothing else. And, perhaps we might put our minds together to discern what neither of us might know alone.”

Vaun regarded Teela for a long moment, head cocked to one side in thought. “Thou must have been raised by the wood elven kin, then, distant and long removed from their so called high cousins. Against them, I hold no quarrel. They are as unlike the high elves as the sun is to the moon.” She gave the druid a hint of a smile. She liked Teela, in so far as she could be said to like anyone, and knew that her ways were far different from the far more mild aviana woman. Still, Teela had been true to her, and she did not wish to make her think ill of her. “It would be well if it were not necessary to think such dire thoughts, but millennia have taught my kin the true depth of the nature of the elves. Thou shalt see to all of our sorrow, I speak all too true.” To lighten the mood she added, “And the heat is killing me, as well thou must guess. I loath it, and long for the cool shores of that which was once home. This bright sunlight is like knives in my eyes, and my skin is made not for such.” Her smile was wry and only a little bitter. "Atrum Draconus says I am not to call up storms every day just to keep the sun at bay, more is the pitty."

As Donovan spoke, the wintry pale woman’s striking eyes narrowed and her face froze. Usually she did her best to ignore him. Perhaps she was becoming too like Atrum for her own good, for she could not keep her tongue. “Some of us walk in darkness that others might have the leisure of light, and too because we do not fear it. Night has a beauty and a peace, equal in value to day. Rage and anger can be powerful tools against tyranny, no less than self proclaimed honors.”
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*As Vaun spoke, Kidwynn's eyes become even more determined then they might have been earlier. She turns her attention her attention to Atrum, Donovan, and the others.*

Vaun does make a valid argument in that regards to like and dark. Not all things are merely just back and white, sometimes there is a grey and sometimes it's that grey that is necessary to take care of things in certain situations.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

*The look of resolve on Donovan's face does not change when Vaun speaks, nor does he so much as flinch when Kidwynn talks about the Grey again. These were words he had heard before.*

"Leisure? Self-proclaimed honors? I had thought you less petty than that, Storm daughter. Day and night have little to do with Light and Dark, just as fear has nothing to do with why we must not stray into shadow. Fear, however, often grips those wretched beings so miserable, so hateful, so pathetic as to turn to the Darkness for power. Consumed by rage and hate, they lash out at those who have the strength to walk in the Light. Really, it's to be expected. The Light can burn those souls too weak and pale to withstand it's truth."

*Before turning to await Atrum's visit, the Preceptor glances over at Kidwynn.*

"True enough, there is more than just black and white. There are myriad shades of grey, and sometimes you must venture into that grey to accomplish a virtuous task, but even among those greys some are still brighter than others. The test is thus: do you choose the brightest of those greys, and only then reluctantly, to accomplish what must be done; or do you choose a darker shade because it is easier and more convenient? One is duty, the other failure. I hope you know the difference."

*Donovan shakes his head slightly, a sad smile upon his face. Sighing, he steps into his office and shuts the door.*
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.