Valkyn Vi discipline proposal and feedback

Have an idea for a new skill? How about a proposed change the way something works? Suggest it here!

Moderator: Admin

Vivac
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Valkyn Vi discipline proposal and feedback

Post by Vivac »

I saw that this discipline is on th3 list of things being looked at, so I thought I would give my feedback and suggestion as well as maybe have a discussion:)

Let me start off by saying that I played the Valkyn Vi discipline for a while before our latest rule change. I enjoyed the discipline very much and thought the skill set was perfect. Almost perfect.

As much as I loved feeling the control of the Divination skill it did more harm than good. Thats not to say it did a lot of harm, but in my experience the amount of time it takes to set up a scene only the be reset after a few minutes wasn't worth it. I feel that Dodge is a nice strong ability to replace it with although personally I would like something a little more flavorful. I get the idea behind Dodge. The Valkyn Vi maybe catches a glimpse into the immediate future to see the projectile coming there way so that they can dodge it. But Divination was so unique, it just makes me hope for something different as a master discipline skill.

Power of the stars was a great second level discipline skill in my opinion even if the benefits could be given without the skill at GM discretion. The role play aspect of using the stars to aid information gathering skills was amazing! I can understand why it was removed though.

Flat of the Blade is a skill I feel should be returned to the discipline. It was awesome to have an ability that really backed up the lore of Valkyn Vi's ability to out people to sleep with a touch. Disenchant although a great skill, doesn't belong to the valkyn vi discipline. It just doesnt fit. I'm actually curious to the reasoning behind the choice.

This is what I think the Valkyn Vi discipline should be. The wording isnt perfect and its a work in progress, I am totally open for constructive critism and help :)

1. Necropsy

2. Sandman

2(SO). Power of the stars - You may use this skill to count as an additional level of Scout, Necropsy, or Recall. Only one skill may be utilized with Power of the Stars at a time. 10 minute cooldown.

3. Flat of the Blade - this skill allows you to append Vorpal to the Sandman, Stun Strike, Neck Chop, and Knockout skills by charging for 30 seconds. This charge is in addition to any other charges for those skills.

4. I could almost get behind giving Valkyn Vi Anticipation. It goes in line with the visions aspect that went with Dodge. Its powerful, yet it isnt as powerful as dodge or parry in my opinion. I say this because no matter what you get hjt with, its 1 vorpal as opposed to getting to decide which blow you want to avoid.

Any ideas?
Isho
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Valkyn Vi discipline proposal and feedback

Post by Isho »

i profer the 3 questions one someone put forth from earlier.
The Witcheater
"When I am full I almost sentient. When I am hungry I am danger to everyone."
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

divination was a cool skill that did not fit in a LARP let alone FH, as it promoted lone wolf play, and going further, made a singular player want at least one GM or NPC to run scenes with. the game just does not have the staff to support the skill, despite the fact that it is a really cool idea.

I really like the three questions but hate the permanent life point cost, maybe treat it like a spell with an essence cost and a long reload / cooldown, original idea:
Torakhan wrote:How about you have the Valkyn'Vi spend one perm Life Point, then be allowed to ask 3 questions for the upcoming scene ("How many creatures are in there?" "What are the creatures in there" "Where's the trap?", etc.)
That way the Valkyn'Vi still gets their "vision" and detail no one else would know, but it's neither extremely detailed, nor does it require other players to wait around outside while the V-player handles his personal scene.
I would love to see them get the seer skill probe mind at level 2, as this would go great with their inherent ability to set up for it (having vorpal knockout capability)

I don't really like necropsy at level one for valkyn vi, and would prefer to see their knockout placed there, and pierce the veil as per interrogator placed at level 2.

my Valkyn Vi would look like this

level 1 - Sandman (tweaked to be here)
level 2 - Pierce the Veil (if they have a target incapacitated they can tell if that target is using disguise)
level 2 swap out - Probe mind (if they have a target incapacitated the can spend life to ask them yes or no questions)
level 3 - Flat of Blade (add vorpal to sandman and other knockouts)
level 4 - Divination (reworked to spend essence and have a time component to ask 2-3 general questions about the upcoming scene, could be yes or no questions or whatever is deemed appropriate)

everything kind of synergizes with each other and gives of the vibe of a shadowy mystic.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Vivac
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Vivac »

I would make it

1. Visions

2. Sandman

2(S.O.) Probe Mind

3. Flat of the Blade

4. Divination (I would be open to thw three questions skill although I agree that the ability better with a cooldown/reload than Permanent lp loss for the event.)

Level 1 visions is in line with Seer's visions skill. Sandman stays same, probe mind would be a neat skill the offer valkyn vi so I agree with you there. I dont think pierce the veil fits very well tbh