October 2014 Feedback

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

October 2014 Feedback

Post by Zydana »

Hello Everyone, Kami here! As the town's new motivational person, I'd like to take a moment to encourage you to leave feedback about your event. What was really cool? What could have been better? Did you have a favorite plot? If so, what made it amazing? Was there a point where you weren't having fun? What was it? Do you have any suggestions on how something could have been done better?

The more detail you can describe, the better the game staff can pinpoint what to try and repeat, what to try to fix, and what to never try again. You can post your feedback here, on the Facebook page, or if it's on a more sensitive matter you can PM or email any of our lovely GM staff (although my personal preference is that it's posted here becauseI enjoy reading your feedback almost as much as I enjoy the event!). Almost any method of feedback is acceptable - but written is best (the staff usually addresses their feedback during meetings so they can just pull up the forums rather than trying to recall what you told them Sunday morning when they were sore and sleep deprived)!

Additionally in your feedback, you can offer specific people "shout outs" for things they might have done or said. I enjoy doing a favorite quote of the weekend!

Alright everyone - You know what to do! Take a moment, get some rest and...

POST YOUR FINAL HAVEN FEEDBACK!!!!!
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Re: October 2014 Feedback

Post by Mahto Snowbringer »

So, for those who don't know I drove from Wisconsin just for this event...and it was worth it. I personally had a really good time, as usually the GMs and NPCs were on point, I really enjoyed the stomach quest my group went on as well as the death carnival plot, any complaints aren't a big enough deal to be put into this. PCs were friendly, so that was nice. Enjoyed adventuring with some people who I hadn't adventured with in the past and got to hang out with old friends who have returned to Final Haven. I didn't get a chance to go on the "big" quests as Friday night I was in the puzzle group (thanks for being fair and compensating us btw, that was super freaking nice of everyone to give up some loot) and Saturday I had to go to sleep at a reasonable time because I had to awaken early in the morning.

Thanks for the good event.
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
pluflove0890
New in Town
New in Town

Post by pluflove0890 »

I had a lot of fun this event, even if I did miss half of it. Something to do with being involved on the big plot even though I don't fight helped quite a bit. And my friends are all great!
Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

I finally had enough time to think about what I wanted to say and get it posted, so here it is:

This was my first FH event in about 1.5 years, after moving to Texas and now back to Michigan. Overall I had a great time in-game and out-of-game.

OOG:
It was really nice to catch up with people that I hadn't seen in that 1.5 year span. I got a couple surprised "I thought you were in TX" mentions so I know people remembered me :)

IG:
My highlight was the devourer's stomach plot run by Brad and Mike, just for the 5 of us that had a personal involvement. I think I prefer smaller plots with just a few people to ones where nearly every PC is along.

Loot as a whole was good, although I'm a little upset about some of the more long-standing characters immediately grabbing magic items to hoard for themselves.

I actually solved a puzzle this event for/with Smitty, which makes me excited because normally I suck at puzzles. The combat plot that went along with that (the carnival themed tree) was also great.

The Cave of the Ancients was interesting, and I can't help but feel like we screwed something up. It was almost too easy descending to the pit, and I was expecting the way out to be more difficult. Maybe this has something to do with those who stayed back and solved tons of puzzles during that ~5 hour block. (My brain would have been fried!)

The lack of meal plan was crappy, just because I like not having to leave, but it's understandable.

I have a couple issues as a bystander to some things that happened and have been happening that made me really upset, to the point of making the event less exciting on Saturday night. They won't get posted here, but I might get in touch with a GM once I think on it more.
Xil Zymasi, Crew of the Red Wind // Dakkon Wrynn, Dark Elf Outcast

Feel free to PM me if you have any forum/website questions/issues. I can take care of them for you.
Also, note that although my name is red, I am not a GM and therefore cannot answer logistical questions (such as rules) definitively. That said, I'll certainly try to help!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Depraved?

I thought there'd be more feedback by now. I must have lost my touch.

Okay, my turn!

First and foremost - POTATO! Oh, holy cow potato! Additionally, if someone calls a potato on you, you do not get to respond with, "no." Get back into character or get up and go to a private area. That's it. The end.

I found this event fairly more boring than others. This is most likely Travis' fault. I decided without Abaddon around, Kami would most likely stick around Fionna. I (Angie) would have liked to go to the cave on Friday night, but without being needed nor instructed to go, and without someone ensuring I (Kami) wouldn't turn into a zombie, I stayed with Fionna :D . I'm glad some of my previous feedback was heard on the Cave of the Ancients and implemented. I'm sorry I wasn't there to suffer with the rest of you. :P

I really did like the idea of there being puzzles for the non-com types to do outside of the cave that would help those who were inside. I STRONGLY recommend this sort of thing continue. It doesn't have to always be puzzles. They could role play some ritual, negotiate some sort of political something, or something else you guys come up with. I know you're creative :wink: .

I think the battle that brought Phinkis back to us came at an appropriate time in the morning. It wasn't too early or too late. The early risers had just finished breakfast and the people who like to sleep in were awoken to grab sword and come to the call of battle (although we had already woken them with the fire alarm). Good Job! Had there been anything earlier, I would suggest it be kept to role play/diplomatic stuff - unless of course there's the off chance we really, really upset some NPC group that wants to attack us at night. It was at this point I finally used one of my skills.

Now I KNOW there was stuff going on Saturday afternoon before game break, but for the life of me, can't remember anything other than a trip to NPC camp. I always feel there is a giant hole on Saturday afternoon that needs some filling, but this event, if there was anything going on, it would have likely had a greater chance of going unnoticed by me anyway.

After game break we tried to set a game plan, but were then interrupted by the attack of the mutated men and peoplepolt. Just as well, I don't think we were doing a good job of being motivated.

The cave under the tree plot.. I stayed behind to protect Fionna. When she was tucked in bed and secured in her locked room, I managed to join the tree battle at the tail end. Oh well. Depraved?

No.
Barrel Box Store! Selfie? Okay, during the one day, Kami promises to get a selfie with Cirrus. Honest.

Beastman cave - Heh. I admit I felt useful in this cave, and there was a good little role play moment, but overall felt it was lacking - although I really wasn't sure what to expect from this cave anyway.

Depraived? *goans* "Bed."

This is where Kami's motivational skills came shining through! I felt the depraved cave was also lacking (two back to back *sigh*) The depraved cave seemed like it was NPCs that were scrounged up to appease us players that were trying to go (and some players that were trying very hard not to go but managed to succumb to the charms of a silent Valkin'Vi). I feel like this was turned into a "whatever" cave - but after an NPC came to town to make it clear the depraved needed to be handled that night, it shouldn't have been. I donno, it was just the vibe I got. I know others had used hero points as well as lost some items to shatter, so my thoughts could be skewed. Besides, Kaylan went down, so it must have been a tough fight, right?

I also want to remind people that they need to carry their character sheet on them at all times. If you do not have it on you, you are not there. Perhaps it's time for GMs to start doing character sheet checks during game again.

I failed to get an egg from Robin after the game. Robin, can I still have a Cadbury Creame Egg?

I think all in all this event was on the fun side of okay for me. I felt I (mostly) stayed true to my character. I am a little disappointed that only one person asked Kami about Abaddon.

This event I took no damage except those I inflicted upon myself and once when I walked into a scream call at the end of the tree battle.

<3 Brad. Always <3 Brad.
<3 Sir Reginald (Sir Reginald, not Nick)
Mike - I'm glad you could make it. However, you'll need to make up the time you were gone by coming to PC at WinterHaven again.
Danni - Thanks for taking care of me.
<3 Eric - Thanks for being there (and on your birthday). I'm super glad you came!

Sorry if this really seems like a play-by-play of my event. It just helped me organize my thoughts for my feedback..ish.

I am eager for the next event. The one day can not come fast enough!
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Uhm...the deranged? no...hmmm ...I will get backto that...

"shout outs"
I am pleased my plot to promote Abaddons absence allowed me some time to RP with Kami For once, Heck I even found out she CAN speak!

Tori Taka also provided some great RP, although Kaylan still find her as frustrating as that stubborn peanut butter jar lid while trying to get her aid in certain matters...so mores the fun eh?

Merrick did a crazy good job on his first time being thrown into the fire in a lead plot position ...he was AWESOME! On the other hand, the fight against the elven king sucked warty sweaty rhino balls, so I have to plant a post hypnotic suggestion while he sleeps so he cant grip a phys rep....so there is that....
also...I would like to make a motion that muffin tops not archery eligible targets, especially when Merrick is NPCing...cause...bastard reasons!
Brad and Nick were as exceptional as always...especially you Brad...you know what I mean ... :wink: . In fact they even handles the handicap when that Mike guy strolled in at the 11th hour...

OH OH OH...the DEMENTED....mmmno...crap...ok uhm...pin that..

I was very pleased to see some effort to keep players, that don't go on the cattle call missions, entertained AND involved and helpful. I cant say I have seen that before.

I also liked the sporadic baddies in the wee morning hours. for me it makes it feel less game and more real if there isn't a "sleep time" for the PCs. I get some players need/want that quiet time, Maybe we can set a policy where PCs that use a white sheet/curtain around their bed are safe from NPCs during certain times(2 am to 8 am???)

Is it the disturbed....dilapidated.....diluted...screw getting old...you can remember crap...AND ...screw getting old too...because you cant remember crap....

I do have to agree that we were all farming plentiful crops of potato(e)s ...except Doug. I will admit its almost a little game/guilty pleasure to try to get him on OOG topics, kinda like making a Buckingham Palace Beefeater smile.....and its damn hard!
I do blame the infrequency of the events making it so that players from different areas do not get to see each other often and nor chalk up much time to be social. If for no other reason than being considerate to the "Method" RPers, like Doug, we...the rest of the players... have to try to be better about that.

peoplepult...hahaha...nice...POINTS!

I will decree that the trading post have a sign declaring it the Barrel Box Store! The work uniform should be aprons, shock collars and toothpicks holding the eye lids open...

DEPRIVED....THATS IT... THE DEPR...wait...no.......muthah fu...aaaanyhow...

Two things I would to see implemented:

WHITE OOG headbands for NPCs standing around or moving to encounters, especially at night. Its used at other LARPs to pull PCs out of the moment due to "whats that!?!?!" moments. Should also be used by PCs when they are unloading to the sleeping area, or waiting at NPC camp, just to show who is and isnt IG accessible. In fact I have seen combats that were taking place..."someplace else" that the PCs in town cant assist with...where everyone wore them to aid the in town PCs stay IC.

Iconic baddies should LOOK like what they are. If the NPC is a vampire, golem/statue, animal, etc.. there would be visual clues that the PCs might be able to pick up on when facing such foes. In the cave under the tree battle, there were a few times I had no idea what I was fighting until it him me with poison or crush, but I should be able to see the difference between a snake and a bear.
That may mean planning costuming while planning the event plots and posting needed costuming on the wants and needs thread, that needs to be created, so you can get what you need from players if the staff doesn't have the time to get it done.

Cannot believe I missed RPing with Sir Reginald...so now we are back to rhino balls...

Great event guys!

Besides, Kaylan went down, so it must have been a tough fight, right?
for the record...that was only because Mike and Brad slipped me some cash so they could look effective to the other players...they caught me in a generous moment where my lust for crushing NPCs under my heel had been momentarily sated....

well...and....and maybe also a small bit because I got flanked in that damn narrow hall between them....but that was small...minute...probable not even worth mentioning....mostly to prevent dwarf tears...
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

as a quick add on...

Nell deserves a Hero point or TWO for her actions in the seed of chaos fight, and in general in every fight I saw her in all event.

Cirrus should land one for the occasion I saw her take on a HUGE handicap to bolster the entire town when it was in danger.

I would also like to see those that stayed and worked puzzles get one each, staying in town with no support (aside from knowing all the NPCs were likely at the "cave") is ballzy
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

A nice event, overall. We certainly had plenty to do! By Saturday night, it became overwhelming, but that was due largely to PC apathy and the inability to get a decent group together to get important things done. We have only ourselves to blame.

Cave of the Ancients was clever - broken going, a meat-grinder going out.

The evil tree thing felt like a unique super-boss - well done! A supreme challenge, but we could do it. When we first went underground, the description sounded like we'd be easily overwhelmed - and sure enough I think we did. But this time the NPCs seemed to get pulled back in time before we were forced to withdraw. The massive army seemed to suddenly drop to a trickle (though perhaps we actually did take them all out). Again - well done with the NPC wrangling.

The game would greatly benefit by some level of NPC costuming – some way to tell the different types of opponents apart. Simple colored tabards work perfectly for this. If NPC camp doesn’t have any anymore, they’d be easy to make by PCs and/or NPCs during the winter downtime – just say the word.

NPCs did a good job. There was never really a time when I felt pulled OOG by poorly portrayed creatures. Many would even growl, grunt, and lumber when appropriate. It was very apparent they were well briefed on their motivations and behaviors prior to encounters.

But - perhaps somewhat because of such briefings – encounters seemed to take a terribly long time to prep. PCs waited 15-20 minutes in the cold between each level of a cave, and half an hour in the cold outside NPC Camp waiting for plots to run. I’m sure there were solid reasons. However, after shivering for an extended time with no idea why, mumbles and grumbles would start as the PCs patience waned. In the future, occasional updates by the NPCs during such long waits would go a long way to keep cold PCs from simmering. “We’re waiting on some NPCs to come back from another plot so we have enough to run this one. Go wait in the tavern, if you like, and we’ll send someone to get you when we’re ready.”