Fun Mechanics Post

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I really appreciate the discipline ideas but looking more for specific skills/spells that you have enjoyed or would like to see, so want to also hear what you like which is currently in the game.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Here are a couple of things I really think are cool right now.

Racial Disciplines: With the exception of Tsunotaur and 4th lvl Valkin'Vi and 2nd lvl Elf. These are some really cool abilities and I like the fact that it encourages racial costuming.

Time Stop: This spell is just cool.

Dominate Monster: Another cool spell. I like the way that this can only be used on NPC's. It's weird because it's a charm effect that is very loose in wording but is hard to abuse.

Essence Boons: I like the fact that anyone can choose any boon. This really can help flesh out a character.

I can write all day about things that I like about this system in retrospect...that's why I drive 3 1 /2 hours to play when NERO is down the block from me.
Salvatore_Tenhammers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Salvatore_Tenhammers »

Leo: If you want an Elementalist, check out KANAR and you will see the flaws in that system.

I have an idea for creating scrolls. I will write it up in full so someone like Kiel can point out my flaws.
If you want it we got it. If we don't got it, we'll get it.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

in D&D there is a spell I almost always sought out as a mage that rendered him immmune to non magical weapons.

for FH might have to have it so that while you were affected you could activate or maintain no non passive skills like parry or def matrix for balance.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Salvatore_Tenhammers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Wyrmwrath wrote:in D&D there is a spell I almost always sought out as a mage that rendered him immmune to non magical weapons.

for FH might have to have it so that while you were affected you could activate or maintain no non passive skills like parry or def matrix for balance.

it already exists.. it's called Defensive Matrix (muhaha)
Salvatore_Tenhammers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Creating a Scroll

The only person who can imbue a scroll is a Wizard or Arcanist. The basic requirements are 1 Written Work, the ability to read/write and time.

Any Spell can be placed on a scroll. It takes the creator 1 hour per Master level (Basic Spells = 1 Hour, Advanced Spells = 2 Hours, Master Spells = 3 Hours).

The scroll is created in whatever language the creator can read/write and requires that language to activate the scroll. Anyone who can read/write the scroll can activate the scroll. Decipher Script can be used to activate a scroll. It takes 30 minutes per level to decipher.

Scrolls must have an activation phrase that must be spoken to activate the scroll. This phrase is written on the scroll when created and must be a minimum of 10 words per Level.

Once activate from a scroll the effects operate just as if they were cast. Wizard Focus items CANNOT be used to augment these spells.

A person who activates a scroll cannot activate another scroll for 30 seconds.

If a scroll phsyrep is destroyed the magic is released doing 1 Magic Lash. (No scrolls cannot be stacked up and used as a trap or offensive weapon.)
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Here's the part where I look like an A-hole...

I like the idea of adding scrolls to the game...but anybody being able to instantly crank out master level spells will lead to people for all practical purposes chain casting Attack of the Elements or Dominate Monster. Though you didn't say it in your description I'm going to assume you intend for these to be one use items.

I love the idea of it requiring a Written Work for scrolls.

I almost feel like scrolls should work like a augments for spells. Scrolls should be spell specific and only benefit you if you have the spell. Different scrolls would augment your spells differently. The Written Work would act as a canvas and Mystic would be used to create the ink. When you use the spell the Ink is erased but the Written Work remains.

Possible Augments

- Up the damage of an attack spell. 4 Mystic Components per point up to 5 points of damage.

- Increase the duration of Time Stop. 3 Components increase by 1 min. No more than that.

- Turn a cooldown time into a charge up time. 1 Component for Basic, 2 for advance and 3 for master level spells.

- Reduce cooldown by half. 1 Component for Basic, 2 for advance and 3 for master level spells.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

FYI a focus item could be a book of written spells.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Altearez
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Altearez »

just throwing this out there

what if we made path skills synergistic in cool ways when more than one pc of one path type works together they get special effects.

the distance on all of these are touch.(excluding wizard)

Warriors-when grouped together a line of warriors cannot be broken, warriors are immune to press and canot be moved in any way.

Wizards-can redirect eachothers spells.

Healer-can heal double the people half time.

Empath-when standing together in a line can turn a packet driven chanell into a line spell as big as the line of empaths.

Rouge-when flanking with another rouge the rouge gets a +2 to damage

jack of all trades-none

Sage-when using recall togethre sages cannot not be sidrupted

Now don't bite my head off these are just random ideas but I think this would make people more inclined to work together, in the real world there are huge benifits of working together.
ImageImageImage
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

cool overall idea

warriors : hard to keep the warriors "in range" because it would be near impossibly to quantify touch range in combat and even harder to guage if your in that range or not during the heat of battle.

Wizards: define redirect

Healer: I dont see how two healers woking on seperat egroups would be synergistic. Maybe two healers reducing chip draw or similar.

Empath: I see a line of empaths with right hand up and charging and left hand on the next ones shoulder. Would make for an icky 30 magic effect. another option is a trangulated effect from the empaths on each end of the line.

Rouge: similar issue to warrior skill

Sage: I didnt know disruption was an issue with sages. Dont they already get a bonus for two or three sages working together?

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

they don't get a bonus, they get better and more hints. you could make the time go down for each sage PAST the third.

you could to do something with warriors lined up shield to sheild. you grab the guy next you on the shield or shoulder. if you let go your out and anyone conneced to you is out.

wizards could cast the same spell to turn line effects into tiangles and triangles into mass effects. etc.

A line effect between two wizards. wizard 1 casts and walks to wizard two. everyone in line hint. wizard 2 casts and walks a line for zigzags.
Travis Cole
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

they don't get a bonus, they get better and more hints. you could make the time go down for each sage PAST the third.
I like

you could to do something with warriors lined up shield to sheild. you grab the guy next you on the shield or shoulder. if you let go your out and anyone conneced to you is out.
call it SHIELD WALL and make a shield required and the only way to break the line is the empath shatter or booms of sufficient size, fear or taunt. Would have to be unusable with hold ground. Would also have to reduce offensive damage by one or to zero.

wizards could cast the same spell to turn line effects into tiangles and triangles into mass effects. etc.
and a triangle into a trapezoid, which could then be changed to a rhombus....so like area effect origami? :lol:

I do like the idea for creating creative combat cooperation between PCs.

A line effect between two wizards. wizard 1 casts and walks to wizard two. everyone in line hint. wizard 2 casts and walks a line for zigzags.
saweet, a FH version of drunken king fu for mages!
:lol:
Last edited by Wyrmwrath on Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Leo »

call it SHIELD WALL and make a shield required and the only way to break the line is the empath shatter or booms of sufficient size, fear or taunt. Would have to be unusable with hold ground. WOuld also have to reduce offensive damage by one or to zero.
rather then drop the warriors damage, if they are using a shield it's already 2's max.
Root the warriors while in SHIELD WALL, I do like the ways to break it as well. Hold ground could stay, they'd just not have any offensive damage and drop to 1 when they come off the wall, i see no problems with that.

If anything in order to reduce their damage within the wall i'd say the trade off should be like a group Defensive matrix.

In a shield wall you cant get as big of a swing thus reducing the swung damage to 1, but all incoming damage is ruduced by 1. The wall is immune to press, but the effects of fear, mesmerize or in the case of a zombie wall(repel undead or dominate), taunt, and empath explosions would break the wall.

question is the back of the wall open to all effects just like hold ground?
Ex: Earl, Rod, He-man, and Fawn are within a Shield Wall and are holding up a hallway 4 people across. He-man gets an accidental "press back" from a pikeman trying to reach over the wall.

Does He-man have to step forward because the pikeman was behind him and it was a Friendly melee Oops but is still in-game?

oh and for the record i think this could be really cool, and its even a possible switch out skill to replace Last Stand. Its something that wont kill you and it is something you'd have to have learned how to do by working with other warriors thus making it a skill. Its better then needing hold ground to use it and Death afterward. (note you still need to get a shield and be able to use it)
Leo Edanis of Geldaland

¤º°¨ ¸„ø¤º°¨„ø¤º°¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„ ¸Free to do what I want Forever!! º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ ¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤
Salvatore_Tenhammers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Another LARP I played in has a series of skills called Tactics and it is divided into 4 categories:

WAR TACTICS, SMALL UNIT: A character with this skill may form a small unit made up of him self and 2 other characters. While this unit remains intact, the characters in the unit do +1 damage with weapons only. To remain intact, all members of the unit must remain within arms length of at least one other member of the unit, and no one in the unit can be incapacitated.

WAR TACTICS, MEDIUM UNIT: A character with this skill may form a medium unit made up of him self and 4 other characters. While this unit remains intact, the characters in the unit do +1 damage with weapons only. To remain intact, all members of the unit must remain within arms length of at least one other member of the unit, and no one in the unit can be incapacitated.

WAR TACTICS, LARGE UNIT: A character with this skill may form a large unit made up of him self and 6 other characters. While this unit remains intact, the characters in the unit do +1 damage with weapons only. To remain intact, all members of the unit must remain within arms length of at least one other member of the unit, and no one in the unit can be incapacitated.

WAR CASTING: This skill is used in conjunction with one of the other tactics skills and allows any spell casters in the unit to inflict +1 point of damage per spell level with damaging spells.

They are not fool-proof as far as using them goes, it's hard to tell if the unit breaks, but we made the person who activated the skill responsible for informing the unit that it was broken. Also, even though it's not stated in the rules, the effects do not stack, except War Casting.