"Magic" Staffs/Staves

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Arjan
Town Member
Town Member

"Magic" Staffs/Staves

Post by Arjan »

So I had a crasy idea come to me (yeah, big surprise lol) but would it be allowed/feasible/acceptable for a character to fire a channel or spell through a staff to cast it?

I was thinking on if it would be allowed if I made something like a packet launcher (ie: slingshot type object) that was easily detactable from a staff and when I cast a channel or spell, use it to throw the packets. Like a wizard in almost any game.

Load time could be part of the channelling/casting time, then you point and launch. (2x in triangulated spells) A person can't attack with the staff while the launcher is on, like a bow, but, can take it off and use it normally if they want to.

Also, maybe having the staffs that can possibly be an exotic item. Maybe something like

Channelling staff: Craft time - 1 hour, Cost - 2 FM, Maintenance - 1 FM

Channelling Staff: A person with this weapon can cast channels (ranged or melee) through it. If used with a ranged channel, the time it takes to load is included in the charge time. Crafting time are in addition to normal crafting times. Maybe combined with a channel crystal and focus item but, only for channels through the staff. May also be combined with casting staff.

Casting staff: (same as channeling staff)

Casting staff: A person may cast spells through a casting staff. Maybe be combined with a channelling staff. Crafting times are in addition to normal crafting times.

I'm not sure on the casting staff but, I thought these ideas would be cool and would bring a new element/feeling to the game.
Jonny Tremaine,
Master smith of little renown

Pity those that choose not REDEMPTION,
For their deaths shall not be swift.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Wouldn't think any game mechanics are necessary here. This is just how you RP casting magic.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Arjan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Arjan »

ok, because I knew you can channel through a fist but not if you could do it through a weapon so I was clarifing. If this is NOT right please let me know so I can not do it. Lol.
Jonny Tremaine,

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

you can not channel through the weapon with out an item.
Travis Cole
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Well, If he is RPing it as coming from the staff while charging and RPs he cant use channel without the staff thats just RP. If he wants to hit wit hthe staff to deliver channel, thats no different than when nelkie was playing his dwarf that could ONLY deliver a channel by weapon strike (wich I think he got permission from chris for).
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Arjan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Arjan »

i was actually thinking ranged channels only. Kinda like a mage does in WoW. Not in doing it in melee. I'd be able to do normal channels but, use the staff "like" a focus for it greater range and such and my channel crystal and focus item (if I get them) would be in it, affecting only those I used "through" the staff.

Also it'd only be the essence boon channel, I'd be a valkin'vi sage that had the valkin'vi discipline with potion, potion, spell from arcane discipline.
Jonny Tremaine,

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We will discuss privatly and let you know
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them