November event feedback

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

November event feedback

Post by Ark »

well this is three in a row for me, wasnt there, but i would REALLY like to know how it went, 9:00 and no feedback yet, what did you all die :shock:
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Atreus
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Atreus »

yes, over and over and over and over and over again
Goonter
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Goonter »

Yes, we killed all the PCs... GAME RESET!!!
The Wanderer
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Alrighty, now that I've gotten a little rest and can think clearly, here we go.

At the start of the event, everything was tense, but not in a bad way. Everyone there knew what could happen in just a days time, which is a huge plus. Anytime you can get the entire player base to be somber and reflect on past misdeeds and whatnot, you win. Congrats, guys!

The past two events, I've mentioned that I had the most intense role-playing experiance of my life in each respective event. This one topped it again. Leaning against a tree as essentially a mutilated corpse when Modhri walked up with my father was so powerful I lack the words to describe it. Leave it at I nearly broke into tears on the field, it was that amazing.

The ruling about being able to role-play your death as long as you want was a fantastic idea, and should stay. I think it's a fantastic idea, and the only issue comes with PC-on-PC actions becoming a little cheesy.

With a few exceptions (that I will get to soon) the 'challenge level', so to speak, was brilliant. I don't know if anyone every really knew we were going to be ok from friday night to 1am on sunday morning. I can't wait to seen what next year brings.

On the negative side, I had a lot of issues with PC's/NPC's blatantly cheating. It wasn't only once or twice, and it wasn't just with NPC's (or PC's who were NPCing at the time). With the current hazy definition of 'charging', I'll tag that back to 'unsafe fighting', but in some cases I know it's alright. If all parties involved are willing to accept the chance of physical injury, go for it. If only one person is considering it, don't do it. Use your head.

I never noticed NPC's not taking hits, that was only on the PC side this event (so far as I personally know), but I would really appreciate if all the NPC's would roleplay their injuries. If you're a big, tough warrior NPC I don't expect every '1' to make you reel back, but if you take a '10 Magic' and don't resist it, please show me that it had affect. I do it for all of you, the least you can do is reciprocate for me.

I saw several 'random' NPC's using skill combonations that (according to the rulebook) are impossible to do. Let me make this clear: I understand that NPC's can do things that PC's can't. However, I don't agree with every NPC being able to wear armor, use a shield, throw magic fear, '2 magic lash', and have upwards of thirty soak. If a few 'elites' are like that, sweet. I can dig it. If every elf can, I want to play an elf for the rest of my career.

Machine-gunning is cheating. Period. This goes for both sides. If it happens once in a large combat and you're called on it, I understand. Adrenaline and all. I can accept mistakes. If you drumroll for an entire event, you're cheating and I want nothing to do with you.

Bottom line is, if you don't know/choose not to follow the rules, don't come ruin the game for everyone else. Stay home.

With those few exceptions, the event was awesome. Perfect way to end the season! Look forward to seeing you next year! *Applause*

::edit::
Also, having to run around in the dark and answer each "Who goes?" with "Good Malachi!" is awesome!
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

Reflecting back on it with the distance of several hours, a shower, a meal and a nap, I’m amazed at all the little details that went into making this event very memorable for me. Someday I’ll be able to reveal all the little behind-the-scenes details that make playing this character in this game so much fun, but for the moment all I can do is express my own enjoyment of this game and the people in it.

Anytime people have so much on the line it creates a scenario in which rule disagreements, delays and misunderstandings can result in animosity, but for the most part I think everyone handled themselves pretty well. As Scott (Malachi) said at the event, with four groups a number of game-stops were to be expected. Furthermore, given the arcane nature of the Elves, a large number of spell-related game-stops were unavoidable. In hindsight, I agree with GM Chris that it would have been cool to play out our troops laying siege to the keep and perhaps we’ll have to arrange large-scale battles like that in the future. GM Mike’s counterpoint about all of us being dead tired by the end of the battle as it was is something to consider as well. I know it’s frustrating when it seems like the NPC’s are regularly outclassing us as players one-on-one, but I’ve always considered the increased damage, soak, and ability diversity exhibited by NPC’s to be representative of the larger number of NPC bad guys we’re taking on at any one moment. I expect that the bad guys aren’t coming at us one at a time, and the “3 damage” that I take from a hit is really the guy in front of me hitting me and two of the other four people flanking me getting their licks in as well. It still sucks, but I don’t blame the NPC’s for phys-repping enemy forces as best they can.

It’s hard for me to tell how much time the battle took OOG, but in-game it felt like the action never really stopped. Playing both Korrigan and Stumpy keeps me on the field constantly, and towards the end of the battle my body wasn’t quite up to the task (thanks to Nate (Noble) and Casey (Trusk) for taking shifts as Stumpy’s phys-rep). As Korrigan I can remember three distinct times where I rejoined the battle for what I expected to be my last stand. The first time was when we heard our healers were down and being slaughtered outside the gates, the second when I saw Atrum and Gabriel fall outside the front door of the building, and the third was when Atreus and I got up for one more charge against the clockwork golem and the group attacking the ritual. The whole thing felt like a last stand, and that feeling was once again powerful enough to make me push my physical limits as a player. That’s something I used to do all the time with Donovan, so to have the far less duty-bound Korrigan in a similar position speaks volumes about the gravity of the situation.

- As a brief aside, there was a time during one of the lulls in combat that I found myself sitting in front of the keep by the windows. I was drinking some Gatorade and learning to the right to stretch the muscles in my back when I realized where I was laying. I was about two feet from the exact spot (both in actuality and in game terms) where my last character met his end. Even though we’ve used this location for years now, knowing that it was “Haven” again made it seem very, very different than when it was Far Reach. I think that says something as well.

There was no shortage of all-out bravery on the field that night, and I personally witnessed acts of courage and heroism by Atrum, Val, Gabriel, Noble, Mohdri, Theon, Trusk, Delayne, Cristo, Eli, Maggot, Rhul, Aurora, Jaysen, Danimoth, Serith, Kerwiden, Atreus and Malachi. I had almost no contact with our healers once the battle began, but given the rate at which our warriors were able to keep returning to the field I know they went above and beyond the call of duty as well. When I did need to return to the field in a hurry Frazzle was there, ready to take care of me and get me back into the mix. Know that these are only the things that I saw – I’m sure I missed five amazing things for every one I noticed, so kudos to everyone for their efforts.

The roleplaying I experienced this event was fantastic and ranged from the dire to the hilarious. Whether it was the tense conversation that Korrigan, Val and Jaysen had with Malachi (The bad one), the tension-breaking packet fight that erupted before dinner or the ridiculous drunken after-party, this event felt like the characters were seriously considering their own demise and responding with a very human mix of emotions. Special thanks to Atreus (because Nancy/Nutsy is the perfect straight-man for Korrigan’s abuses), Val (for all sorts of conversations), Esmerelda (for keeping Korrigan in check as well as anyone can) and Theon (because we’re On a Boat!).

Extra special thanks to Melissa and Dani for once again giving their time and offering the meal plan. We’ve gone from having a near universal game-break exodus to having almost no game-break at all, and that’s largely due to your efforts. I was a big proponent of going out for game break, but now I’ve come to enjoy the continuity of staying at the site and staying largely in-character. Thanks again!

To the NPC’s and GM’s, thank you for another great season. It’s hard to believe that this is the end of my seventh year as a proud member of the Final Haven community. The time that has passed both feels much shorter and much longer than the seven years that have progressed. I look around and realize that many of the people I still consider very new have been here for two full years and that our first 2nd Generation Havenite is among the newest of our players. I’ve been incredibly fortunate to bring so many of my friends into this game, but that street has gone both ways. Not only have many of my nearest and dearest become a part of this inexplicably enjoyable hobby, but the people who I’ve met through this game have become some of my most treasured friends. For that reason, along with all the crazy the adventures that we share, these games have become my favorite way to spend a weekend. Thanks to everyone for being a part of that.

Till the one day then, be well but surely be.
-Taki
Last edited by GM-Taki on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Cookie Draconis

Post by Cookie Draconis »

Hew-wo!

My name is Cookie and I wanna tank evwybody who woted for me. I wuv my mommy Esmerelda and dawdy Atrum very mwuch, and I can't wait to meet evwybody next Awgust. Tanks to Uwncle Korrigwan for naming me.

-Baby Cookie
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I had a great time roleplaying with everyone as Maggot. I loved the horrified looks I got when healing people with the maggot bag. Also discussing the proper way to go about eating ones loved ones was great.

Melissa and Dani deserve some kind of award for their food. It was all good, but I found the pot pie to be the best I've ever eaten.

The action in the game was awesome. I didn't even have a chance to take a shower Saturday since it was go from just after breakfast.

I liked the fact that alot of the groups the pcs have helped in the past showed up to help. It proves that doing the right thing can be it's own reward.

the sacking of the keep was a great spin on the usually defensive nature of the larp in general.

I had some OOG issues with certain things, but i felt they were taken seriously when brought up to the GMs.

Thank you for the awesome year!
Travis Cole
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Breaking in a new character always seems hard for me, but with my horse character, I had a really cool concept and costume... so it should of been easy. By the time I had gotten to the event, unpacked, dressed and got all the make up on, I was dead tired. I came in game and directly went to bed - costume, make up and everything. But, I was unable to sleep due to how loud everyone felt they needed to be down stairs.

In fact - that is my #1 complaint for the weekend. People remain very inconsiderate of others. Not everyone wants to be kept awake 'till you go to bed at 7am because you need to talk at levels that should be used outside. Remember the difference between indoor and outdoor voices? If you do feel you need to be up that late chatting so loudly, TAKE IT OUTSIDE!! (and thank you for doing so Saturday night). However, I do now know better than to try to sleep in the same building as some individuals.

Also, if you're a guy that feels you need to use the woman's restroom, please flush. Please also put down the toilet seat. You're not at home - you're among other people. Please, please be considerate.

Getting back to the story, I was unable to sleep so I came back downstairs. I was so tired that my interaction and attempts to roleplay with people came off a lot more anti-social than I had intended. Oh well. By the time I could no longer push myself, my mask hurt my face and was burning in some areas. I scrubbed my face, showered and went to bed knowing that I would not be able to continue the weekend playing that character.

Morning came too quickly and everyone was up again. I trotted (no pun intended) down to NPC camp to ask about borrowing a tunic to play a different character.. and managed to NPC for something before heading off on my merry way to try to come in as yet another new face in town with a very vague idea of how I wanted to play her. *sigh*

Since I was someone different yet again, I blame that on things feeling slow and not really fitting in. In fact, I had considered staying behind Saturday night while everyone else went off to Haven.

I'm glad I didn't.

I did spend a good deal of time hiding in the trees, and I didn't feel I was able to help much 'til much later on.

I very liked Aurora freaking out since someone she didn't know was standing over her doing something to her... unsure of what that'd be.

The best was after the battle though back at ... well, it WAS the tipsy traveler.. donno what it is now though, but people getting drunk and Korrigan singing of Lady Blue. I couldn't help but to giggle to myself on that one.

I know that this is more of a run down of what my event was rather than feedback.. so, maybe I'll post again. *shrug*
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Cookie Draconis wrote:Hew-wo!

My name is Cookie and I wanna tank evwybody who woted for me. I wuv my mommy Esmerelda and dawdy Atrum very mwuch, and I can't wait to meet evwybody next Awgust. Tanks to Uwncle Korrigwan for naming me.

-Baby Cookie
LOL!

One day wedding event...I'm just sayin! :D

I'll post my feedback a little later.
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

Zeira wrote:
Cookie Draconis wrote:Hew-wo!

-Baby Cookie
LOL!

One day wedding event...I'm just sayin! :D

I'll post my feedback a little later.
The man has to propose FIRST...but that depends.....
What would Atrum DO??? Hmmmm

Just sayin ;)
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

I guess it's my turn. I'll probably add more later, but here we go...

The event was overall absolutely fantastic. It was Aurora's first end of the world, everything out there on the line type of situation and it was fantastic. I never realized how useful Aurora's diversity would come in handy in terms of being a combination of combat medic and armor repair girl until the big battle.

I'll start from the beginning. Friday night was tense for it was the eve before the big battle. The fun thing about that night is that every mission Gabriel was on he'd just look at Aurora and was like you're coming with me and she nodded. There were a few cool sceens with Mohdri and Aurora's disussion with Theon was priceless. Especially when the pirate is looking at the young Caldeonian and going wait if you promise me you won't do this you won't, ok I believe you.

Not to mention when we went to get Robert and Serith and Aurora put together what the two of them were going to need to do to assist putting Robert down, which neither one wanted to do but there was no other option at the time...great thinking alike Brett.

Saturday during the day I was taking it easy but there were two very cool thing that went on during the day. One was with GM Mike when Aurora went away to inform the Caldeonian's about Atrum's plans with us gating out so they would have a head's up on our plans per Atrum's discussion because he was informed Aurora even though outside of the gate still had people she could get info to. The second time was when Atrum, Mohdri, and Aurora went looking for Trusk, Frazzle, and Cristo. That woods encounter was just awsome with Aurora putting a fallen Cristo and an bear and them Mohdri taking the bear off of Aurora so she could heal Cristo. AWSOME.

I can't even put into words Saturday night from just the who battle from the character perspective from the group of us being in the bathroom when we used the portal into Castle Gravesbane. To the upper room when we were fighting NPC Robin and Aurora being all oh look elves let me see if they have anything magical on them and through that we ended up finding the tower controls...awsome.

There was when then npc's were coming in and from up top I started just trying to disenchant the arcanists that were with that team plus the magic roots from Rhul and anything the rest of us doing to keep them at bay..priceless. Not to mention after Dallid went down and Aurora was pleading with Delayne not to go after him because the rest of the group still needed her in case we had injured then the relief after the Robert thing happened when Dallid came back...omg.

There was the whole triage group when Aurora ended up in a lot as we are patching people together. Just when I thought I'd be out there fighting more would come in and the super serious went to the master healers but onces I could quickly patch up I took. Theon omg is all I'm going to say with that one thing. Chris as the construct heading towards the door was great and Danimoth's reaction after Aurora shut the golumn down with the disenchant was awsome. Esmerelda and Aurora as she's healing someone and her basically saying I need you to do your think now and that person getting a front row seat to that was fun.

Finally getting out there and fighting was great with Pear'An at the front when the two of us were trying to keep people from coming in when we finally had control of the clock and at that time having barely any voice when some strange healer came to heal Aurora when she went down after taking out that gear golumn trying to get help as she walked Mohdri and Atrum run past cause who knew what that healer would have done.

It was all great and then all the drunken talk later with the two boats, the wedding, and Cookie Draconus was funny. I'd say Aurora felt sorry for contributing to Korrigan and friends drunk behavior but nah it was all very amusing. Not to mention it was the perfect time to bust out the fresh baked cookies. Not to mention when Aurora checked in with the Gendermen after the battle to inform them that we won and all was great. A goal of my characters felt achieved which was acceptance by the Caldeonian's after being among them for so long and it was just awsome so special thanks to GM Mike on that one.

The down side of the event were already voiced by a few people with a few npc's. What really sucked was getting the thrusts just because the character was doing something that annoyed the npcs we were fighting. A tap is all great and fine but a fencing thrust is just not cool.

Overall, sure there were a few long game stops but overall it was a blast and just one of those great big battles. Thank you to everyone this year for making it a good one.

I'm with Ziera, we should have that one day event wedding...hehehehehe
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

Overall, I had an awesome event. The roleplaying was incredible by everyone this weekend.

Karen, all I have to say is OH MY GOD!!! When CJ finally convinced me to start coming with him two years ago, I never thought I'd have a moment so intense. I came back from that private scene so emotional from the incredible role playing, I was sobbing. That is role playing at its finest.

Mike, the moment with Gall and his mother was great as well.

The longer I do this, the more amazed I am at the role playing abilities of the people around me. I never thought I'd be so invested in this hobby that it could literally bring me to tears. Remember, Final Haven was my first role playing experience period, so the whole concept was new to me. But the caliber of role playing by everyone just amazed me.

It is amazing how the best in game moments can be shared between two people in a private conversation, whether in a bedroom or out in the woods.

The battle was epic, too bad I spent about a third of it dead and staring at the trees. Oh, well, Fionna's alive now and looking for trouble in her new home.

I always feel useful as a healer, but I used my alchemy skills more this event than anything else. It is amazing the way this character has evolved, even though she was created on a Saturday morning of an event b/c the previous one had died.

Thanks to all the GM/NPC staff for making this a great event.

Thanks to those who took care of dish duty, I never washed a single dish this weekend.
Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

This is the busiest I've been at an event period. I felt extremely useful the whole time. Running around until 5:00 AM on Friday was great. Retrieving the golems was an awesome side adventure, and I was very proud of everything that was acomplished. My biggest regret was being taken out so early in the attempt to reclaim Haven. I know Azra would have been very useful. But the move was an attempt to save her life, and I appreciate that now in hindsight. I did greatly enjoy NPCing in the final battle.

I have very few complaints. Namely, I noticed a lot of NPCs going out of their way to kill PCs. By that, I mean, prepping the body so it is impossible to res. This would be fine for a zombie, but honestly, would an elf take the time to do that in the middle of an epic battle? The game is meant to be fun, not meant to screw everybody over. In the end it didn't matter so no harm was done.
Azra Celevares
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I try not to get on here and respond but just wanted to speak to the reasons for some of our actions, specifically the killing pc's thing. We did that purposefully to up the dread level, knowing that we were giving two free full resurrections. Also Taki is correct that we do try and up the power level slightly in a big battle to account for the invisible people factor. I hope that hopes clarify some concerns. It's fine if you disagree and we are happy to receive that feedback. I just wanted the rationale to be public knowledge.
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Wow. I think that's the best way to describe my weekend. What's funny is I don't think it's even all sunk in yet. Two years of planning, two years of struggling and we finally did it. We took back our home. And while at the moment it has only been known as home to a few of the current characters, hopefully next season it will become a haven (sorry, pun intended :wink: ) for all of them.

I had so many amazing moments this weekend, I hardly know where to begin. Friday night was hectic as last minute information poured in and we realized the plan was going to have to change. Teams were rearranged as we got a count on which town members were present and who was missing. I'm glad dinner was such a hit- the pot pies are from Costco almost worth the price of member ship alone for anyone interested. I see it's going to be a tradition that Noshii takes off with my bowls from the kitchen. Although finding it later with a pair of teeth in it was priceless. Trying to get the town together for a quick meeting proved impossible as there was always something that people were out doing. My heart sunk when we heard Robert was missing and waiting what seemed like hours for the group to return wore on Es's nerves. Thank you to frazzle and Eli for providing all who waited with a lot of amusement. Eli, you need to learn to spot better. :lol: And Gabriel needs to be told he has poor judgement in drake sitters. The night flew by, I could hardly believe it was 5 when I went to bed and people weren't even back yet from getting the item to open the gate.

Saturday morning came all too quickly and I loved that you could feel the tension mount as we came closer and closer to the time of the attack. Every last ditch effort to gather allies was made. Sneaking in and out of my bedroom window with the emissary from the dopplegangers was hilarious. As well as trying to get help for Robert without compromising my mission. A big thank you to all who went out into the woods to look for me! Staring out at the lake trying to calm my nerves was interrupted by a frienly little goblin. It was great talking to Frazzle about not wanting to die. WHY is it that all the innocent characters end up asking question about sex to Es? Luckily this was one time I think she dodged the issue quite nicely. Waiting while the group went to help the dark elves really stressed me out. Sitting in my room it was all I could do not to throw up because I was so nervous.

Finally it was battle time. A (hopefully) rousing speech and the groups were off to their various missions. That was truly the most epic battle I have ever been involved in. It was awful being on the outside and Atrum inside and not knowing whether he was alive or dead. Especially when all was quiet inside for so very long. A brief moment of humor as I was getting ready to give Robert the ring and behind me Aeric and Gabriel are running up to me asking "where's Robert?" I guess I can't say THANK YOU enough to Atrum for getting that back last event. It certainly saved our butts this battle. The charge towards the keep which only half the people realized was the goal. I loved that Es got to fight and trying to lure the gloem away from the healers along with my screaming dash towards the building. Shutting down the towers was also quite saticfactory. I realized this event how much Esmerelda has grown up. When Aeric's body was dragged in she wasn't reduced to a crying puddle of goo but ran back out onto the battlefield instead.

Trying to protect the clock was so intense.(an amazing prop too, btw, you guys did an awesome job on it) My heart lurched every time someone kicked it. I thought for sure all was lost when the enemies gave one last push and managed to take it. But then Gol intervened. Three minutes and counting and we managed to take it back. HAD to be the longest 3 minutes in my existance ever. Although since shortly after it was follwed by the longest kiss ever I'd say it was worth it. :D Wow and what a hell of an after party that was!

I've probably rambled enough for now. A big thank you to everyone who did dish duty. Although seriously people, we're all adults here. Why is it so hard to start cleaning the cabin on Sunday morning? Nothing is more frustrating than waking up, cooking breakfast, cleaning the inside of the inn all morning of all the debris and when I take the time to get ready find that someone has taken a piss in the women's bathroom, left the seat up and not flushed. Compound that with the frustration of walking back out to see everyone sitting around chatting instead of cleaning and I snapped. I know I may have been a bitch, but come on people. EVERYONE needs to help with clean up! If you have to leave early, I understand but then maybe pick up all the random bottles laying around before you go. Do spell packet check outside. Don't think because you're leaving you're immune to clean up. That's not fair to your fellow players.

Big shout out to my fellow cook, Dani. I couldn't do the meal plan without you. And Julie is our offical resident baker so thanks to you too!
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"