Arcane Experiment

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Arcane Experiment

Post by Zeira »

This is just for fun for the rules people who like rules like myself. I'm not proposing a change, just messing around at work. Gonna post this on both boards. Let me know what you think. I'll add the other 2 aspects later.

Arcane Magic

Arcanists can manipulate magic though willpower and study. Some are masters of battle magic others choose to manipulate magic to form abjurations. Some can control the elements or even take over your mind.

Aspects

While every Arcanist is capable of minor magics most have an aspect of magic in which they are particularly attuned to. As an Arcanist gains more levels in their aspect they are capable of casting stronger more powerful spells. Each aspect has four levels.

Spells

When an Arcanist casts their spells they expend essence points to fuel their magic. Certain spell require certain amounts of essence points. The casting time of a spell depends on how many essence points it takes to cast it. If the caster expends double the essence points required to cast the spell it can be casted instantly unless otherwise specified in the description.

Essence Points

Essence points are what fuels an Arcanists spells. Essence points are specific. You cannot use Destruction essence points to cast Protection spells. For each level you gain in an aspect you gain 5 essence points. You receive your essence points at the beginning of an event and once they have been expended they are no longer available until the next event. Essence points do not carry over from to the next event (I.E. if you didn't cast any spells during the event it does not mean those unused points transfer to the next event)

Casting Times

The casting time on a spell depends on how many essence points the caster used to cast the spell. For each essence point used to cast the spell the casting time is 30 seconds. (This one is iffy, maybe 15 or a set chart would be better.)

Synching

Casters with the same aspects can join their power together for greater effects. Up to 3 caster may synce up together. This done by joining hands together or using someway to role play the fact that they are focusing their power together. The casters can than cast spells using a pool of points. As long as one of the casters have the spell they can all contribute essence points towards the casting. The caster contributing the most points towards the spell is considered the primary caster.

Aspect of Destruction

This aspect is used to destroy things. 'Nuff Said!

Level 1 - Single Target

For every 1 point of essence you spend you may deal throw a packet that deals 2 points of magic damage. I.E spend 10 EP throw 20 Magic.

You may also add Vorpal or Crush to the call by spending the points at 1 for 1. i.e spend 10 Ep and throw 10 Magic Vorpal or 10 Magic Cruch

You may also spend 10 EP and throw a packet and call "Magic Shatter".

Level 2 - Lash Attack

For every point of essence you expend you may do a lash attack. Damage is calculated at 1 for 1. i.e. Expend 10 EP deal 10 Magic Lash.

You may add vorpal to the call by expending essence points at 2 for 1. i.e expend 10 EP and call "5 Vorpal Magic Lash"

Level 3 - Triangulated Damage

3 for 1 magic damage I.E expend 12 EP and call a triangulated "4 Magic"

4 for 1 vorpal magic damage I.E. expend 20 EP and call a triangulated "5 Vorpal Magic"

Level 4 - Everyone

3 for 1 magic to everyone on the field. I.E, Expend 18 EP "Everyone within the sound of my voice 6 Magic"

4 for 1 vorpal magic to everyone on the field I.E Expend 20 EP "Everyone within the sound of my voice 5 Vorpal Magic"

Aspect of Protection

Full of proctectiony goodness.

Level 1 - Physical Protection

By expending EP you can create Talismans to protect people against physical damage. All of these Talismans are expended upon use.

Parry - Allows you to marry next frontal melee attack. 2 EP

Crush Protection - Allows you to ignore the next attack you receive with the word "Crush" in it. This has to be the next attack that hits you and cannot be saved for a later attack. 2 EP

Vorpal Protection - Allows you to ignore the next attack you receive with the word "Vorpal" in it. This has to be the next attack that hits you and cannot be saved for a later attack. 2 EP

Level 2 – Status Protection

By expending EP you can create Talismans to protect people against special attacks. All of these Talismans are expended upon use.

Fear Protection - Allows you to ignore the next attack you receive with the word "Fear" in it. This talisman can be used at the discretion of the recipient. 2 EP

Poison Protection - Allows you to ignore the next attack you receive with the word "Poison" in it. This talisman can be used at the discretion of the recipient. 2 EP

Disease Protection - Allows you to ignore the next attack you receive with the word "Disease" in it. This talisman can be used at the discretion of the recipient. 2 EP

Charm Protection - Allows you to ignore the next attack you receive with the word "Charm" or “Taunt” in it. This talisman can be used at the discretion of the recipient. 3 EP

Sleep Protection - Allows you to ignore the next attack you receive with the word "Sleep" in it. This talisman can be used at the discretion of the recipient. 4 EP

Magic Protection - Allows you to ignore the next attack you receive with the word "Magic" in it. This talisman can be used at the discretion of the recipient. 5 EP

Level 3 – Immunity

By expending EP you can grant people true resist skills by giving them a Talisman. These resists however cause the recipient to lose 2 LP every time they are used.

Resist Fear. 5 EP

Resist Poison. 5 EP

Resist Disease. 5 EP

Resist Charm/Taunt. 10 EP

Resist Sleep/KO. 15 EP

Resist Magic. 20 EP

Level 4 – Circle of Protection

The caster of this spell may create a circle of protection. The circle is created by forming a rope in a circle on the ground. If multiple casters are involved they may join their rope together to make the circle larger. It takes 10 EP to create the circle for each caster involved i.e 2 casters 20 EP, 3 casters 30 EP. The circle lasts for 1 minute and requires the complete concentration of the caster. By expending 2 EP per caster and continuing to concentrate they can lengthen the duration of the spell by one minute. If the circle is Disenchanted the casters of this spell takes 2 Vorpal damage. Nothing can effect the people in the circle and the people inside the circle cannot effect anything outside of the circle. People inside the circle can leave the circle but cannot re-enter after they have left. When this spell ends the caster must announce "Circle Down!" In a loud enough voice for everyone to hear.

Aspect of Manipulation

Messing with your brain.

Level 1 - Taunt

Single Target - 1 EP

Lash - 5 EP

Triangulated - 10 EP

Everyone in the sound of voice - 20 EP

Level 2 - Fear

Single Target - 1 EP

Lash - 5 EP

Triangulated - 10 EP

Level 3 - Sleep

Single Target - 5 EP

Lash - 10 EP

Triangulated - 20 EP

Everyone in the sound of voice - 40 EP

Level 4 - Charm

Single Target - 5 EP

Lash - 10 EP

Triangulated - 20 EP

Everyone in the sound of voice - 40 EP

Aspect of Nature

Foresty magic with tree's and animal stuff.

Level 1 - Claws

Cat Claws - Hands turn into small claws. Works the same as monks ambidexterity. Cannot hold anything in your hands while spell is active. Spell ends when you drop or put down phys rep. 1 EP

Tiger Claws - Hands turn into large claws. Works the same as monks ambidexterity and iron fist. Cannot hold anything in your hands while spell is active. Spell ends when you drop or put down phys rep. 5 EP

Bear Claws - Hands turn into huge claws. Works the same as monks ambidexterity and iron fist. Instead of fist phys reps you can use shortsword sized claws. Cannot hold anything in your hands while spell is active. Spell ends when you drop or put down phys rep. 10 EP

Dragon Claws - Hands turn into claws that will tear your freaking face off. Works the same as monks ambidexterity and iron fist but all damage you deal is Vorpal. Instead of fist phys reps you can use shortsword sized claws. Cannot hold anything in your hands while spell is active. Spell ends when you drop or put down phys rep. 20 EP

Level 2 - Root

Single Target - 1 EP

Lash - 5 EP

Triangulated - 10 EP

Level 3 - Animal Power

Bird - Avoid a single ranged attack. 5 EP

Bear - Swing 5 Crush one time at recipients discretrion. 5 EP

Lizard - Grants Regeneration as per skill. 10 EP

Spider - No movement restrictions. 10 EP

Level 4 - Natural Disaster

Earthquake - Everyone within the sound of the casters voice is knocked to the ground for 5 seconds and all buildings on the field take damage as though they were hit with 2 direct hits from a heavy catapult. 10 EP

Blizzard - Everyone within the sound of the casters voice is disarmed and then pressed away from their weapon. 15 EP

Overgrowth - Everyone within the sound of the casters voice has to walk heel to toe unless they take 1 uninterupted minute to remove all of the vines on their body. Disenchant can remove this effect. 15 EP

Lightning Storm - Everyone within the sound of the casters voice wearing any heavy armor takes 10 damage. 20 EP
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

I think that arcanists would need more EP. 20 EP for a whole event would mean that they only get to do one big spell like lightning storm (without another arcanists' help) for the WHOLE event. Thats just not enough. The thing that I like about the Arcane that exists now is that they have spells that just take time to do and have no cost. Your arcane seems limited because of the Essence Points. Maybe just have a casting time and Magic
Component cost for the stronger spells.
"Taunt!" (that means bring it...)
Keridwen
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Keridwen »

I must say I like your description of a different type of Arcane and I honestly would have to say that it would help in casting time and and whats is used, However to do more damage, We would definitely have to have more arcanes, but that is my opinion if anything about the arcane is changed I will certainly change with it.
Keridwen Of Ravenskeep
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

.....did you come up with this on your own? :?

im surprised to say that i MIGHT, POSSIBLY, MAYBE, KINDA....like it :shock:
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Travis came up with the concept on a different thread. I worked off that and the fact that Chris said he wanted to see big effects but only once and a while. EP limits the amount of things you can do and how much damage is possible. Magical components as EP would break this system.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We did a mana pool idea at CARPS.

It does not work well in my oppinion unless mana poll is very very very small.

Forexample you have a pool of 5 points. A big spell costs 5 points a small spell costs 1 point. Resting brings back 1 point every so often.

In vid games I am all about the mana pools. In LARP's only the math elite can do them effectivly.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Eh, keeping track of spell points\mana\essence points whatever you want to call them isn't that hard unless you can instant cast, you usually have at least some time to calculate the difference from what you had and what you spent.

I like the idea of multiple arcanes lowering casting time or upping damage or effect time.

I really don't like limiting the arcane with the aspects though. Arcane is unwieldly enough in this game and that part seems like it would just limit arcanes even more.

All of this feedback in in respect to a game similiar to FH. Inn another type of system it could work better.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Ok...Let's just give access to everything. Very freeform. Allows you to customize and choose what you are going to do. Makes magic versatile. Yes you can do it only once maybe twice but you can almost do anything. Make it so that after game break you regain half of your EP lost or even all of it for simplicity so their not such a one trick pony. Most people have a soak of about 20 divided into two seperate pools and can keep track of that while being hit by a variety of attacks(in theory). 20 EP to keep track of doesn't seem that bad to me either. I don't know much about the CARPS mana pool but I bet it was at like a million or something, so this would be a little easier. :wink:
Jaycen Blackhawk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Jaycen Blackhawk »

Just a thought....

What if each Aspect was built as a separate Discipline. This would self limit the number of Aspects a character could have.

This would also create a more varied choice of "Magic User"" type characters.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Soldier
Mercenary
The Last Hawk
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

That was the idea. Each aspect would be a dicipline. But that seems limiting I guess. Yet people have a problem with current arcane being a swiss army knife.
Atreus
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Atreus »

Sounds like what carps is doing, points that repop at game break
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

This game meds points back over time we dont repop.

Might work great in anothe system.

mana pools are as bad as damage resistence. They are unwieldy unless the pools are kept small.

It is hard enough keeping track of 50LP's when people all swing between 1 and 3 so how can you keep track of that while at the same time keeping track of a pool the same size or larger with a bunch of different numbers.

In my experience small pools are doable, large pools are not. My secret LARP in fact uses pools.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Heh, what I'd like to see, as the longest running arcane in the history of FH, is long ritual spells that only come in handy about once every few events...

oh wait. :)

But seriously, this is a nice start to an idea about the arcane system.
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Yeah, I'm shockingly with Chris on this one...great for some systems (Mine currently works SOMETHING like this), but adds an entirely new mechanic to the FH system (The essence points), something I know the guys are trying to avoid.

I'm actually trying to find a way to work without repops, as this seems unwieldy, but I guess I'd have to visit CARPs first and see how it works in practice, rather than in theory.

But I know you said it was just for fun, and they ARE neat in that respect.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Yeah. I really have no proplems with arcane as it is now, I just think it's cool to look at new things and ideas. It's fun to draw inspiration from new concepts to add more spice to the system.

Maybe Larps are like cooking. You could have the best sandwhich ever but one day you think it could use an extra piece of cheese, and then olives, then bacon. Eventually you add so many things that when you try and bite into that sandwhich you cant even bite into it. Or you have put peanut-butter on it. A good larp is like a good sandwich, it has just the right amount of stuff in the right variety. MMmmm....sandwhich... :eating:

BTW bacon is good on everything just in case somebody thought I was hatin on bacon. :D