One May Day...

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

One May Day...

Post by Esmerelda »

After finishing a batch of cookies and hanging the latest batch of laundry out to dry, Esmerelda looks around to see who's about the inn.

"Anyone up for a round of flower gathering? Today I want to honor an old holiday from my former kingdom..."
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Malamhìn Auchinae
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Malamhìn Auchinae »

"Of course I'd be up for some flower gathering. 'Tis A-Maying time, yes?" Malamhin comments as she looks up from her knitting. "I'd love a chance to get outside. Please, tell me about the custom from your kingdom, though. I'm curious to understand how customer differ."
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Esmerelda smiles at the other young woman. "Yes. Every spring Aeric and I would gather flowers for our mother." Her voice goes wistful at the mention of her family.

"But in the Kingdom of Silverthorne, we had a holiday called Queen's day. Everyone would always go out to gather flowers and make wreaths and garlands out of them. It's said that one May day, when the first King of the land was out riding, he met his future bride while she was out picking flowers. Nearly overran her with his horse, he did. She got quite a fright. Not knowing that he was the king, she gave him quite the scolding. He then spent the afternooon with her to make it up to her, and well, it's said they fell in love that same afternoon..." When she gets to the part about falling in love, her eyes get a dreamy, far away look to them.

"So every Queen's day, young ladies go out gathering flowers. Hoping to find their loves, I guess. Children just like it for the festival spirit of it all. So let's gather some flowers and give them to all our friends, old and new..."
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Malamhìn Auchinae
New in Town
New in Town

"That is a beautiful story. It gives one hope to know that the first king of a kingdom set a precedent based on love, not political maneuvering. I bet the kingdom was the happier for it as well. Aye, we should gather flowers and give them out. A bit of color always provides some cheer."
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

The seer comes down the stairs just in time to hear Malamhin's words.

"Unfortunately, there is political maneuvering but also political necessity." Pauses, frowning. "Both can breed unhappiness; in the latter case I hope it can sometimes be otherwise..."

As an afterthought, mutters carelessly, "Happy flower-picking."

Face sullen, the teenager slips outdoors.
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Malamhìn Auchinae
New in Town
New in Town

Malamhin blushes furiously, thinking again of what she had just said. Before the seer leaves, she says "I meant no insult by what I said, I was just caught up in the romance. I hope you can forgive my unintentional rudeness to your family and the King, Lady Eilonwy."
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Before the door can shut fully, Esmerelda runs forward and grabs the young seer by the shoulder. "Oh no you don't. You've been pouting and sulking around here far too often, thnak you very much."

A mischevious light plays about her eyes. "Besides, you're always telling Gol that you're a knight. So why don't you come along with us and protect the 'helpless' women from the perils of your land?"

Grabbing a basket, she gestures for Malamhin to proceed her and the seer out the door. "So what kinds of customs do you have here in Caldonia? What do you do here for fun? Do you have games? Balls? Aurora seems to know nothing of these things, but I find it hard to believe that the people here have no sort of recreation here at all..."
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

The eyes widen for a moment in surprise then the sullen look returns with more muttering sounding like, "...helpless women my arse... and at least Gol lives up to being dangerous... even has a girl mooning after him..."

The youth is almost triumphantly smug when Esmerelda asks Malamhin about customs, "There was the Hunt. Recreation at its finest..."
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Esmerelda's eyes widen in surprise at hearing the youth's muttereings, than she shakes her head.

"So that's what this is all about. You're jealous, aren't you? And you're every bit as good a fighter as Gol is. Besides, he's a year older than you. I'm sure your time at romance will come, my friend. Besides, look at me. I had to wait until the old maid age of 23 to find someone." She smiles dreamily and blushes a little bit.

"As for customs, I know you have the hunt. But I was thinking less warrior type things to do..."
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Popping around from the corner at the sound of her name for she hasn't left yet with Atrum and the others.*

Customes and games? See, you didn't exactly ask that Esmerelda.

You just witnessed the Great Hunt this past moon. *She still is all excited about it.* That is a big deal around here and it was the first time I was able to participate.

There are also the Caldeonian games which occur once a year generally around the beginning of fall. All clans and all are invited to participate in tests of skills and such. I've only ever really watched.

As for what the events will be this year, you might want to ask Uncle Sylas next time he is around to see if there are any non warrior or archery type of things people can participate in.

*She thinks*

As for balls...ummmm....not really. Except for weddings and all, people around here don't normally get all dressed up and such. Well, that is if you're asking about those formal things from back in Silverthorne. My parents took me to one when I was really little and....

*Looks at the three and the basket*

Umm...so what are you all doing and since well obviously we are not leaving today....can I come along for some fun?
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

"Well, maybe we could have a big party in town after the games. Nothing quite so fancy as a ball, but just a good time with refrshments, games and maybe a little bit of dancing." She sighs for a moment. "I still never got the dance," she mutters under her breath.

"Maybe we can talk to Sylas and arrange something. So, who can pick the most flowers?" she asks playfully as she runs out the door, dragging Eilonwy behind her.
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Sort of shocked at the mention of the whole party idea, Aurora just stands there.*

You sure it won't be so formal? For I remember the etiquette for such things and umm....

*As Esmerelda changes subjects, Aurora takes a deep breath and then smiles mischeviously*

Do you really want to bet on flower picking with a scout?
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Malamhìn Auchinae
New in Town
New in Town

Malamhin pipes up as they are running out the door. " 'Tis a hard land, Esmerelda, so the recreation is a bit more simple than what I've heard of foreign balls. We have celebrations at certain times of the year, like the Caldonian games, where the men can prove their prowess and strength. There are usually small get-togethers amongst clan for when the sheep are sheared in the spring for the wool. After hunts there may be some dancing, especially if some men are agile enough to do the sword dance. Of course, it's even more enjoyable to be dancing with the agile fellows. Afterwards the socializing takes second place to the work of spinning the rovings into yarn and preserving meat for later. Not much time at all for parties here," she finishes with a sigh.