Following Olan

Townsmen with the shakes huddle around the glowing embers of what may have been a roaring fire. Speak quick, lest thee be to long in the open!

Moderator: Admin

Dallid
Deceased

Following Olan

Post by Dallid »

*Dallid follows Olan out of the Inn*

“What did you seek to accomplish with those words?”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

*Olan stops, visibly calming himself before turning to address Dallid*

I simply tire of the people here refusing to see the forest for the trees. We don't have the luxury of simply sitting around listing our threats and discussing them like old women.

We have problems, we know how to fix them, but we stand and ponder them while more and more threats mount, until they will be too vast and too great for us to stop. When all of these hostilities come to a head and crash upon us like a great wave, I believe we will not have the strength to survive.

We need to pick our allies and our battles, and hold to our convictions. It's too bad that, judging by the current state of our system of law, conviction is not the strong point of Haven.

Frustration got the better of me. I should have not had such an outburst.

*Olan turns to go, but stops. He looks back at Dallid over his shoulder.*

By the way, I heard what the Duke had to say. It's a shame that despair and inexperience could drive such a great man into delusion and believe himself infallible.

*With that, Olan walks toward the treeline to return to his encampment.*
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

*Dallid continues to follow*

“Many in Haven seek a guiding force, a rallying banner, a source of strength and hope. Corbyn, taking the mantle of Duke, is placed to serve as such an icon. He is not infallible – no one truly is. However he must appear that way for others to gain strength and resolve from him. To weaken his role – to spread dissention – is to weaken Haven.”

“Such is true regarding all of Havens leaders. The people of Haven depend upon them. They must believe such icons cannot falter – that they are confident, in control, and with the knowledge to achieve prosperity. With such beliefs can others also act in confidence, courage, and unity. With such beliefs is Haven stronger.”

“The appearance of unity breeds unity. Haven needs for you to show confidence in its leadership. Should you have concerns, they may be discussed constructively behind closed doors. Help those who must serve as leaders fulfill their roles for Haven better.”

"I would ask you to do this for Haven - in the interest of harmony."
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

*Olan stops and turns to face Dallid.*

My pointing out the truth can do nothing to harm Haven's veneer of unity any more than it has been by recent events. One should not believe in a facade any more than they should expect a thread to hold their weight.

Rather than try to draw strength from a beuracracy that is trying desperately to simply maintain it's existance, the people of Haven should draw strength from themselves and the people they know they can trust and rely on. We shouldn't "appear" to be unified; we should either stand together or not.

I can nearly gaurantee that I am not the only person that has these opinions. I am merely willing to raise my voice and present the truth without a silver tounge. I personally do not believe I need to apologize for speaking facts, nor accomodate half-truths and manipulation.

Spreading dissention was never my intention, but if that is what comes of pointing out follies in governmental policy, then so be it. But I doubt that will happen; most people huddle together in large groups when frightened and it's always easier to follow than lead, let alone try to bring about change.
Ingram Folles - Scholar
"Integrity comes when character is tested; keep true and never be ashamed of doing what is right."
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself made the villain."
"I can't leave you alone for five minutes."
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

Robin, who had been sitting on a spread blanket with Audry, reading under the trees, looked up when she heard the raised voices. A slight frown pulled at her lips when she heard Olan speak so of her Duke. Very softly, kindly, she said, "Lord Corbyn does not think himself infallable, good sir. Far from. Perhaps it is that you do not know him as I do, or see him so, but cares weigh heavily upon his shoulders."

She set down her book and turned her full attention upon Olan. "He is not full of desiapr as you say, but hope. Every day he rises before the sun to begin the work of safeguarding Haven's future. Each night he returns to his chambers weary, but hopeful that his efforts, and those of every other strong and willing member of Haven, will bring about the beauty of a future we know can become a reality here. It is not inexperiance that rules him, rather reason and thoughtfulness. Duke Corbyn tries with all his being to listen and heed all sides before deciding a matter, for he is ever aware that each decision he makes effects us all. He never forgets that, and it dominates his thoughts always. Haven is what matters to him, good sir, not one group or another."

Robin paused, smiling softly. "I didn't mean to interrupt, I just could not help but wish to help you see the Duke in a kinder light. He knows well his faults, and strives each day to overcome them. Just as he strives to do right by Haven and all of her folk. Do not mistake caution for inaction. We have learned from that mistake as well, even if it was before your time. Open diologue is never a mistake."

She sighed. "Please... try and see the good for what it is, and do not think so ill of those who are trying with all their might to do the right thing for Haven. That is not always a clear or easy path, believe me, but we try. Corbyn is trying."
"Is misery made beautiful, right before our eyes?
Will mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?"
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

*Olan acknowledges Robin with a glance*

It was called "sarcasm". I was merely putting a bit of a play on words spoken by the Duke.

This is not your conversation, please do not involve yourself further.

*With that, Olan returns his attention to Dallid, attempting to ignore Robin*
Ingram Folles - Scholar
"Integrity comes when character is tested; keep true and never be ashamed of doing what is right."
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

She shrugged, "As you wish, though do not be surprised that I would defend my husband when I hear ill, meant a sarcasm or not, spoken of him." Robin gave him a polite smile and resumed her reading.
"Is misery made beautiful, right before our eyes?
Will mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

*Likewise, Dallid remains focused on Olan*

“Were your words indeed the truth, or a point of view? Perhaps even the result of a misunderstanding? I would ask you to seek out Corbyn. Talk to him. Listen to him. Learn the reasoning behind his actions. A good leader will convey his thoughts well, clearly define his decisions, and listen carefully in turn. He will promote unity through achieving understanding.”

“Thus far Corbyn as proven to me he fills his given leadership role well. He shows he holds the fate of Haven above his own interests. Give him time. Talk to him. Understand him, and perhaps he will show the same to you.”

“There will always be dissention. By definition, any two unique minds cannot think alike – cannot agree on all. However, any given problem will have multiple solutions. One mind may seek one solution while another mind seeks another. Both may achieve the desired goal. Witness the results of Corbyn’s solutions for a time, then decide on their effectiveness. Though you may disagree with his methods, his methods may still accomplish all desired results.”
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

I have nothing to discuss with Corbyn. I'm "damaged" apparently, to the point where I am of no use to the Haven. Also, by what standard do I have to judge that an elf would even listen to my opinon -the opinion of a Dark Elf- let alone attempt to understand me. I have met with very little understanding from those outside the Pheonix, with the notable exceptions of Incarius, Roland, Nuk, Dewberry, and yourself.

I will do as is best: I will return to my encampment and maintain a stance of neutrality. I have been largely ignored and insulted during my stay here, with the notable exception of several people, most of whom I had known before setting foot in the Haven. If my observations are seen as unsavory then so be it. The Haven will be free of my unwanted opinions.

*Olan turns and walks into the woods, disappearing into the folliage*
Ingram Folles - Scholar
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

"Such a path is yours to choose, should you wish it. But others are available should you judge through experience rather than prejudice."

"Corbyn will listen, if only you will do the same."

*Turns back toward the Inn.*
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum bangs the door to the Inn open and looks around*

*To Dallid*

Which way did he go?
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

*Looks to the area of the treeline where he last was Olan*

"There - into termoil."
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Thank you

*Goes to the area Dallid pointed to and moves into the forest.*
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

*After watching Atrum search the forest for a while, Olan steps out of the underbrush*

Can I help you with something?
Ingram Folles - Scholar
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Only an ear for a moment. I and many others have spent 3 years trying to build a life out of what is available to us in this area. We have definitely made many mistakes along the way, but we are creating a society and government from the ground up. From the beginning I have warned that it will take time, patience and compromise. From the beginning people, like you, have expected everything to be fixed and worked out with ease. It took over 3 years for there to be an agreement on basic structure of government and basic structure of law. I agree that direction and organization are both lacking, but I would rather have the people of this town find those things within themselves than have it and many other things forced upon us by some "False King" like all of those that claim dominion that I have heard of or met thus far. None of them have been worthy of the title royalty let alone King.

As far as internal threats, I agree completely with that. As long as people are inflexible and believe that they have all the answers and that those that disagree should meet an untimely end. There will be tension and strife within Haven. You speak of other threats to Haven, but I find it interesting that over these past 3 years we've managed, even with mistrust of each other rampant, to turn back those threats. Threats that plagued the old Kingdom of Silverthorn for many many years, some such as Joseph, the master, for over 1000 years.

You speak as if you've been here from the start when really all you've seen of this town is very recent. You say that people make decisions for others and that you assume that it's because those that do believe them incapable when you couldn't be more wrong. The simple and plain fact is that when so many people as we have in this town are all involved in the decision making process that NOTHING EVER GETS DONE. And if you believe that the fight we fight here is so meaningless then you have the choice to stay and continue to stall any progress with your negative attitude and misguided beliefs, stay and try to be a part of the solution instead of part of the problem, or leave. It is really up to you, but remember that each will have it owns consequences and outcome. That is not a threat at all, just a fact. I for one believe that you can be a helpful force in the town, but only if you choose to.

*Steps closer and whispers something in his ear nods and turns to leave*
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!