Training on the Morningway Ranch

For your story and lore submissions
Janus
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Training on the Morningway Ranch

Post by Janus »

15th of 6th moon
Woke just before sunrise; I believe I am fully adapted to the circadian rhythm expected by my master.
-swept barn
-fed horses
-gathered water
-sawed planks
*msr. Morningway expects I shall burn each length in thirty heartbeats or fewer today; I will practice before he wakes.

---------------

Later, same day
No fewer than forty heartbeats. I have practiced for weeks, yet I cannot improve my time! Msr. Morningway has tasked me with more meditation, and a new barn.

---------------

16th of 6th Moon
Raced through my morning tasks to practice burning lengths of plank. I have cut excess today so that I may dedicate more time to practice tomorrow.

I have observed my master shaking his head with a frown. Is he displeased with my lack of progress, or my methods of practice?

---------------

17th of 6th Moon
Thirty-nine heartbeats! I have made progresss. I burned a single length in thirty-nine heartbeats today; I must repeat it, for I am so overjoyed at even this small step. Yet msr. Morningway seems more disappointed with every day.

He has told me to spend all my free time meditating. No more cutting and planks; I am restricted to chores and meditatioon.

How can I make progress if I do not practice?