Shields on your back?

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I can only imagine that the fact that no one has outright stated how silly allowing shields slung on somones back to offer ANY protection whatsoever is due to the fact that the level of practical experience with real combat and watching to many movies make the general populace think its even remotely realistic or effective.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Wyrmwrath wrote:I can only imagine that the fact that no one has outright stated how silly allowing shields slung on somones back to offer ANY protection whatsoever is due to the fact that the level of practical experience with real combat and watching to many movies make the general populace think its even remotely realistic or effective.
I'm sorry... I can get behind it being disallowed by the rules, and I can agree that it is not the best tactic most of the time, but to say that plating yourself with a large slab of armor is silly and offers no protection at all...

I can think of examples in both film (Troy) and history(http://www.northantrim.com/MagnusBarefoot.htm) when real soldiers did just that to protect themselves... especially from ranged attacks like bows while retreating.

"Shit! Who playes with 'Turtle Shell'?" -Blondie
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

I'm back to my origional question, why are we discussing this topic of shields being carrying on one's back anyway?

I'm of two opinions on this. First, I see some real cheese factor possibly going on as people make shields that will cover their entire back making the usage of other skills against said opponent difficult.

Second, yes they have shown people doing something like this in movies such as Troy. I mean it looks cool, but if we are going to do this some rules in regards to this needs to be set that balance things out so that the guy with the shield doesn't have an unfair advantage over the rest of us (hense power gaming and cheesyness to the extreme).
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

LOL there wont be any rules about this I was just curious since there seemed to be a few peeps uposet about fear. I was under the impression people thought they could protect themselves while feared with a shield on the back.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

LOL...we've been debating over nothing. How very funny.

I think the debate on fear stems from the point that is isn't as structured mechanically as it once was. I mean now you can cower behind your buddy, run away, stand there with the deer in the headlight look, hide behind their sheield, and things like that.

Anyway, thanks for the giggle this morning Chris.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

Onimaster wrote:I'm sorry... I can get behind it being disallowed by the rules, and I can agree that it is not the best tactic most of the time, but to say that plating yourself with a large slab of armor is silly and offers no protection at all...

I can think of examples in both film (Troy) and history(http://www.northantrim.com/MagnusBarefoot.htm) when real soldiers did just that to protect themselves... especially from ranged attacks like bows while retreating.

"Shit! Who playes with 'Turtle Shell'?" -Blondie
Wow, if I responded to this I could really piss people off again... So I'm just gonna let it be.
Ignorance can be fixed...stupid you're stuck with
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Will there be shiled size rules now? I realize you guys don't have all the updates yet but just wondering.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Yes, we will have shield size rules but we are currently debating whether or not to make it a fixed area or based on the person wielding the shield (i.e. Has to expose atleast 1 legal target area)
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Midnight
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Midnight »

I wasn't thinking of it blocking nerve strike or anything like that, or even counting as armor points... I was just think that if I happen to have my shield strapped over my shoulder and someone hits the shield instead of my arm, by chance, that the shield would take the blow, rather then my armor points.

I don't think it should negate any rogue attacks at all, since the rogue attacks are designed to "find the chink in the armor."

I didn't think it was all that powerful, but hey, I don't make the rules... I just pretend to understand them.
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

LOL @ Onimaster.

You know, Kolat's Favor is a good card too.

:silly:
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

^_^ Whatever you say Mr. Kage...
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

PLease tell me you arent using movie magic to make a point about real combat. As far as usint the tactic against ranged attacks as in history...tall grass has the same effect...AT RANGE. Shields ARE NOT larde slabs of armor. Thet are slabs of wood/hide/steel/bronze used in cunjunction WITH COMBAT SKILL to deflect and reduce incoming melle damage. They really have little effect in real combat on projectiles up slose, and again are as effective as a tree or tall grass at range. If its strapped to your back, you cannot use the skill needed to "operate" the shield. Hence the reason it should not be effective protection in a LARP.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

^^^^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^^^
Ignorance can be fixed...stupid you're stuck with
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Sorry guys, You can preach till your blue in the face. I'm still not buying it.

It may be combersome in a fight, but armor is armor. Blows have a much harder time going through it than not, layering compounds the resistance, and that's simple physics. If what your suggesting is true then no armor would help at all and none of it would apply. Wood, hide, steel, bronze... Those sound like armor materials to me. Certainly harder than flesh and bone.

And about movie magic... We are playing in a world where people throw magic spells and there are orcs... at what point to we breach into any semblance of reality?
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

At some point though you have to look at mechanics. IRL if a shield is strapped to your back and someone hits it, yes it will help protect you to some degree. But having a shield in the game is already a big boon, there is no need to implement any mechanics to give a shield user any more of an advantage. Then you have more variables, more to remember, more to consider as far as balance issues. The small amount of "realitistic" improvement is definitely not worth the hassle it would add.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~