October 2015 Feedback

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

October 2015 Feedback

Post by Khorvalis »

In my short Larping history, this event was one of the most enjoyable events for me to date!
A lot of new and friendly faces and we saved the world :angel:
Let's hear what ya'll have to say about the last FH event of the year.
More to come...
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Isho
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: October 2015 Feedback

Post by Isho »

This was my first full final haven playing Isho. I did get a chance to play him at winter haven as well but I am still fully getting into his shell.
I greatly enjoyed the plots that I was invited along for. Many Lulz were had. I almost bled to death n the field because I forgot I had determination.
Seeing Dan, Cory, Lisa AND Liz from Chicago was nice. We don’t get to see them out here very often.
I greatly enjoyed seeing a nod to Abaddon at the end for the battle.

HOLY SHIT EVAN!

So,
This event felt off. This was the end of the year, the final blood moon and the defeat of a huge bad guy that was entirely too easy. (maybe there were things I don’t know about.) This felt like the most anticlimactic season end I have seen in a long time. Friday fight was easy and Saturday was just ramped up in length not difficulty. No one died. We matched it the underworld and beat him like a red headed stepchild without really trying.
I still had potions. Many of the people I gave resist effect boons to never used them. The whole thing felt too easy.
The Witcheater
"When I am full I almost sentient. When I am hungry I am danger to everyone."
GM-Lisa
New in Town
New in Town

Post by GM-Lisa »

Overall, I had a splendid time seeing everyone. It was great to come back because I really didn't think I'd make it back this year and I was able to and I'll even be able to do Sactuary in November.

The good - I really enjoyed the plots. As a healer I didn't feel the plots were easy because I never had the opportunity to rest during the battles. Every moment I wasn't healing someone I was busy anticipating new dangers to be able to defend myself. I thought everyone played really well and had fun joking around the fire with everyone, helping Guanhilda and Throgdor on their quest, working with PaerAn & Marcus against the Red Tear, the underworld plot was fun (but anticlimactic). Khorvalis thanks so much for your repeated ability to half the healing times during a few key battles because that really allowed me to save many lives.

The bad - I was getting really frustrated with the healer rules and hearing different things from different people about what I could and couldn't do. I think most of it's been cleared up during the game itself and any remaining questions I have I'll ask on the rule board.

Desdemonia - I hope we can work together again in such a mutually beneficial way and know Finn is always willing to help.

Khorvalis - We'll have to talk about my role in helping the Circle of the Sun - Finn splits her time in Haven and Sactuary as a healer so I can help as a medic about every other week.

I have a billion other people I'd like to call out for being awesome but won't list them all so just know I had a blast with you all and until next time.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

First of all, I want to thank the players for their generosity in their donations for the cider and coffee. THANK YOU ALL! Much Love!!

Check in was pretty fast :)

I was a bit upset that I had made some inquires right after the August event that I had hoped to be answered and discussed before the event - I felt ignored. I did corner a GM about the situation at check in, but didn't quite get an answer - I felt it was more like that noise Troy makes :P which was rather disappointing . To get another issue addressed, there needed to be a bit of intervention. While I understand that GMs have lives outside the game, and I'm not the only player asking questions, I feel there was a severe lack of communication going on behind the scenes (despite GM con-calls).

Overall the game moved VERY slow all weekend. I know that NPC staff is pretty small, but the last few events, I feel this was less of an issue with less NPCs. I also heard there was a big issue with players not sharing information, so players weren't moving on plots. From my perspective, there was a good deal of waiting outside NPC camp for things to happen. A slew of sages and seers would go inside NPC camp for their hints and visions, and not come out for quite some time. I'm not sure if the recall hints and visions were just really long winded or what. I heard second hand that there were some instances where seers/sages wanted their OWN visions/hints. I hope players realize that they get less affective and less information individually than working together. I’s not too fun for the rest of your party waiting outside NPC camp.

The Friday night battle was ok. I hope there was a behind the scenes list of all the buffs The Collector had received through his firestones. I had to work quite a bit to not get my butt handed to me in this fight.

I enjoyed Paer’An’s reaction to Kami leading him out into the woods without knowing why or what she was up to.

Saturday morning mole/Ga’Vin things made things interesting. I thought it hilarious (out of game of course) when Paer’An stepped outside after the initial fight, just to find one on the other side of the door.

The rest of Saturday felt like normal “leg work” or personal plots for people. Nothing overly exciting. Had some small pockets of fun role play though. Got kicked/tripped over during one fight (which I was apologized to), but I have a really pretty purple bruise now that matches Kami’s robes in color.

After game break Saturday was super slow again. I almost fell asleep in the inn waiting for something to happen… Phinkis used “awaken” on me, and it worked!.. at least for a moment. I was glad that Mike finally got into game and I got in some role playing with him… (and my anxiety levels have severely increased).

Finally, Saturday night battle. I agree with what was said already. It was a tad lack luster. While I wasn’t in on much of the stuff leading up to the point of getting to “Jeff” – what exactly his deal was, etc, I think the events previous in the year didn’t have a good lead in to him (but again, what do I know. I spend the majority of the event not really paying attention.)

Announcing we would have a traitor, and then calling Shawn over before the start of the battle, was an out of game give-away. Perhaps pulling him aside while walking to the battle area, or well before it would have been better… or maybe calling down a few extra people one at a time to throw us off the scent.

Mike – I loved that I heard, “It’s my birthday!” during that fight. I was too busy to investigate. Maybe there should have also been an appearance by our old friend, ED :D Thanks for adding that little bit of silliness and fun there.

The bit with Abaddon, I have quite an issue with. While all the action/narration happened during a game stop, I feel it prevented me from role playing/responding in an appropriate manner – not to mention, I’m not sure anyone knew exactly what was going on at the time. Clarification was given much later to explain that bit of the scene, but by then, it was much too late to retroactively roleplay/respond. I did what I could with the aftermath.

I also appreciate the attempt at the different method of loot for that battle, but I didn’t enjoy being told to go to the inn and wait for a while, then go to NPC camp to wait for a while (huh? Why point A, then point B?). Many players that collected nothing, or didn’t collect much, didn’t bother to head to NPC camp at all and missed out on their goodies. I know I almost didn’t bother to go, when I did I arrived much later than others and missed some explanations.

Since I was awak-ish after that battle (and it wasn’t even 1am), I decided to assist on a few more plots, but while waiting outside NPC camp for FAR, FAR too long again, falling asleep on the porch, and still waiting by 2:30AM, not knowing when the herd of Sages/Seers in my party would be done with NPC camp, I decided to call it a night.
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

I have to say that I enjoyed this last event even though I wasn’t able to do as much as previous weekends. There were many new faces and you all were so friendly and enthusiastic. I particularly enjoyed tagging along the newbie plot with GM Brad and Talvor.
I agree with the previous comments that things did move very slowly. As mentioned above, I think this has much to do with dissemination of information among players. It’s a tough call when faced with players whose characters might not be the most willing to share plot information with others – especially when many were left waiting by the fire or in front of npc camp eager to do something but without the immediate knowledge to do so. I don’t know how we can circumvent this but if more players would be willing to step up and organize the citizenry or at least pool information to get the ball rolling, I think this might be a start. The GMs work very hard to put these plots together but I don’t know if there were many plots that were still left unresolved by the end of the weekend.

Khorvalis mentioned to our town leader Aurora as well as to others that a “circle of advisors” in Brennondale might be a good way of disseminating information to other players, with each of the advisors being able to organize characters to work together and get the things that need to be done for the town. At least more people would be informed of whatever major plots where out there and be readily mobilized instead of drawn out waits. I’m sure there would still be plenty of time to do character subplots and personal adventures. (For example, I like how Lord Kaylen is able to organize citizens to act on what needs to be done for Brennondale through in-game notices, sharing of information, getting others to work together, and role-playing with the powers that be… Brian’s character is a great sample of how things get done.) Just a suggestion.

Getting the correct information out there and organizing our fellow players somehow will lessen in-game questions like: “Where are we going again?” – “What are we supposed to be doing?” – “What do we need to do to get that done?” – “I forgot, but why are we waiting here?” – or “Who are we fighting and why?”
I second Zydana’s comment about the sage/seer issue. This was another thing that slowed things down a lot. I don’t understand why people would insist on individual visions/recalls when the group is collaborating on the same plot. We all just got different permutations of the same info and ended up eating up a lot of time. Individual visions for individual plots should be fine, but if it’s a group effort then a group recall/vision would be sufficient (this could be role-played by the sages brainstorming in a room together or the seers performing a joint séance… again, just suggesting.)

Ok… shout out time:

Seraphina – you’re so much more than just the “pretty bird!” Without your healing, so many of us would’ve fallen and I’m glad you’re helping out with the Circle of the Sun. I’m gonna miss you, Mira and Grunhilda :)
Zandron and Gondowon, great roleplaying after the plot where Gondowon died and was brought back to life. You guys play “terrified” “possessed” and “drunk” oh so well. :drinking:

The new players with the orc empath Charlotte Aeon… you guys made my weekend really fun with how you all were so balls-to-the-wall and unafraid despite of being only zero-level. I hope to see you and your friends again at Final Haven.

Kami – After a year, I finally heard you speak! I only wish I could understand the pain and burdens you’ve been carrying. You’re still an enigma to me. (Thank you also for lending me your cloak, it was sooo cold outside and I needed it… and the cider was great too!) :wink:

King Vaal – I wish I could’ve help out with your prophecy. I will definitely have to learn more about the dwarves next season.

GM Mike – You surprised me during the battle in the Underworld. I thought your old-man npc was one of the bad guys because you appeared out of nowhere. Up til now, I still haven’t figured out if that old-man was a ghost, dead or a dream.

Nellie Duncan – where the heck did you go? My character was looking for you for like half of the weekend. Girl, you got some serious secrets! :?:

Lord Kaylen – did you get your unused potions back? Cicero and Desdemonia -- mwah!

Aurora – did you like the belt pouch Khorvalis made you? (You so remind him of someone he used to know, oh so long ago)

GMs Merrick and Jarod… I enjoyed your insight when we had lunch after game off. I know I’m still a neophyte and I was able to learn a lot more about the game. 8) Taki - thank you for helping me understand the spell system, I've got a lot of studying to do. And to Nick - I so need to know more about those Knights of the Moon.

Rothek – as always, thank you for the protection, my friend. I hope to know more about your wolf’s paw group via the forums or in a private message.

Thruldur – Young man, what happened to you during the final battle? We healers were left alone and when I went looking for you, you had been transformed into some mechanical horror! Tsk, tsk, tsk! :evil:

And to everyone else in Brennondale that I failed to mention (this feedback post is way too long already)… thank you so much for a wonderful season, I can’t wait to see you all next year!
Last edited by Khorvalis on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgause »

This was the most enchanting and wonderful weekend of my life!

I literally have found the man of my dreams!

<her eyes flutter in Paer'An's direction>
Last edited by Morgause on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

(For example, I like how Lord Kaylen is able to organize citizens to act on what needs to be done for Brennondale through in-game notices, sharing of information, getting others to work together, and role-playing with the powers that be… Brian’s character is a great sample of how things get done.)

...your check is in the mail Joe....

:lol:
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

I'd prefer payment in gold or silver or another sizable donation in-game to the Circle of the Sun and its charities :angel:
Thank you very much!
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

damn demanding mages.....
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

Oh man, I've got a feeling my feedback is going to be all over the place, much like how I felt during this event...

First off, this was one of the most frustrating events my character has been to. Good or bad, the gm's put me through a whirlwind and it'll be real interesting to see which direction my character goes with it. Thank you and eff you both to the gm's :)

Now, as for the actual event... I understand the need for speedy dissemination of information, trust me, I do. But maybe, just maybe, there's some characters with in game reasons why they don't run around flapping their gums about what's going on and why. Call it a boys club, or the old guard, I don't care, but there's some of us still around who've been dicked over (or done the dicking) that they're still a little hesitant on sharing everything. Maybe try to find in game reasons or rp instead of getting mad that people aren't sharing?

Which brings up my second point - rp

I know I'm not the only one that spends time, money and effort to come out and larp for the weekend... This isn't my first, second or even seventh event, so when I come out, I'm hoping to immerse myself in this fantasy world. I understand real life tiredness, sickness, etc but that still doesn't excuse some of the behavior and clear disregard for others' rp environments. Got rule questions or clarifications on a scene? No problem. Want to talk about your build and how badass you are? Go to your car or wait for Sunday. When did npc camp become a game off zone to hang out with people and talk about anime? I understand the need to share how special awesome super duper your character is, but there's always an in game way to do that. I'm wondering how many people actually know what Paer'An's build is...

Wait times at npc camp :(

I understand that the gm's and npc's were understaffed. I understand that there's no way to completely plan for what the players want to do hour to hour much less for the entire weekend. What I don't understand is why, when there's a couple different groups waiting to go do a thing, you guys didn't grab one of the groups to npc? Maybe I'm completely off, but the only time I did see a gm grab some people to npc a plot is when I asked Nick. Maybe the gm's need to be more proactive in utilizing the pc's that way? Trust me, if I ever get the choice of npcing or walking the trails for a half hour, I'll npc in a heartbeat. It also freed up the gm our little group needed until we were done being asshat pirates..

Speaking of asshat pirates

Glad I'm not the only who thought the big battles this weekend were a little on the lite side. I understand how hard it is to have full on combat and still make it challenging for all the pc's involved... But really?? I mean, seriously?? The last time we ran into the Collector, there were ten of us, he didn't have as many stones and he pretty much kicked our ass. Friday was a straight up disappointment. But more than that, it makes me wonder why he was so easy to beat, with even more power. Saturday seemed plot lite because of the "big bad we all knew was coming" Definitely need to rethink the whole last big fight of the Final Haven season. It's odd to Paer'An how once a year it doesn't matter who's around, we finally get EVERYONE to go do something, even if it takes a ridiculous amount of time trying to corral people. Saturday night fighter pract... I mean, Saturday night fight. Boooooo. That was the weakest last fight of the year I've ever witnessed. Ever. Ever ever. Ever ever ever ever ever. I've been through Saturday morning slaughter fests that were harder. The lone mole man attackers had my butt hole puckered (and not just because it was Taki) more than this fight. What was interesting was all the different options we were going over to fix this, but when we realized that killing the Lord of the Underworld was our best option, the look we gave each other was priceless. And then we got there. And then we fought. And it was easy. Does that make us the new Lord's of the Underworld? Great build up, research and rituals and knowing that somebody might have to sacrifice themself to finish this...weak fight. I know some giant kraken things over in Avanguard that took more to put down. Booooooooo.

All in all it was a great event, for purely personal reasons. From finally meeting a Valkin'Vi that might be even crazier than me (I mean seriously, which one of you guys paid Morgause to be all flirty mcflirt with Paer'An??), to standing back and watching during both nights of combat because personal reasons, to the emotional state he ended the event in... It'll be real interesting to see where things go from here for him and the game in general. It's pretty awesome seeing all the new players stepping up and getting more comfortable with their characters and I can't wait for more character growth out of everyone next year

Also

"Oh no! I'll hit my lover!"

"grumble grumble grumble....your WHAT?! "
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

I'm wondering how many people actually know what Paer'An's build is...

I saw his sheet...its 25% little girl....67% BEEEATCH...and 8% GI Joe doll without the kung fu grip....
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Well, here goes. I had a great event!!! The ritual on Friday night kicked it off. I didn't get to do a lot during that fight because I was busy casting the spell but even though I just stood in the center of the field I had a great time. The fight didn't seem overly easy to me, I watched large groups get taken down a couple times and I myself had to spend a hero point just stay up and keep casting. If anything the fight felt a little shorter than I expected but then again I was completely prepared to stand there for 12 hours and cast that dang spell. The choice I had to make at the end was great and I think I annoyed the heck out of everyone around me for the rest of the event as I second guessed the choice I made. Phinkis knows he made the right choice but the thought of what could have been will always be in the back of his head. :P

I don't remember doing much else on Friday night. I did some trading and purchased some spells and then started memorizing them. I tried to go to sleep early, for me anyway, but really I just ended up laying in my bunk most of the night. When I finally decided to get out of bed Saturday morning it wasn't long before I started doing stuff. First there was the mole thing that was trying to hug me and then we got to go set up a defense for a crazy man in a cave. After we did that we went to kick some pirate butts, which was a major brawl. Shortly after that was game break. After game break I figured it would take a little while to get all the stuff going for the assault on Underworld. Instead of waiting around I put together a small team to run a personal plot I've been wanting to get done. I knew there were some others that needed the same thing and I had a good idea of what I would need to complete my errand. So the Economic Plot Strike Force(EPSF) was formed. A shoddy wizard, a privater, the worst sage ever, miss stabs a lot and the queen's husband. It was such a blur of awesome and efficiency that I don't think I've ever witnessed it's equal. I know some of the times were sped up to keep things rolling but other than that our group was perfect for every encounter. Even though they were small little plots that were for personal things they were one of the highlights of my event.

The prep for going to Underworld and the actual attack were fun for me as well. Talking to The Lord of Underworld was fun, he was very specific about that wording, I think he had OCD. The fight for me was tough. As a wizard I tend to stay in the back and play damage control. There were a few times where I got my butt kicked, though that's not that hard to do, and a couple others where I watched small groups drop and thought, "Oh crap, there are two healers down in that group!" I think my favorite part of the fight though was killing the mimic thing that had been plaguing us for a long time. Who knew displace time could be deadly.

I get how some people may have felt the event was slow but for me it was nice to have some time to do some things I wanted to do and talk to people around town. Previous events I have felt so rushed and still didn't accomplish all of the things that needed to be done.

The down sides of this event were mild for me. Magus and the new essence system still needs a lot of work in my opinion. I hope it get's looked at during the off season and I am more than willing to help if needed. I plan on making a much longer post about that specifically later on, once we get past the last Winter Haven. My largest issue this event was with the smokers. Now, I used to be a smoker so I understand the addiction. It's been years now since I smoked and I still sometimes get urges to smoke. Even when I did smoke though there were some things I tried to keep in mind. First off, the smoke bothers some people. I don't personally mind it, the smell is not one of the things that makes me crave a cigarette nor does it offend my senses, but for some people it does. There were a lot of people smoking directly in front of the tavern doors this event, and in the middle of a group of people out in a plot. The second thing I tried not to do as a smoker was hold people up. I know waiting for things to get going at NPC camp sucks but let's not make it take 2 more minutes for everyone just so you can finish your smoke. Walk at the back and finish it on the way or if you can't smoke where you're headed then put it out. I know wasting those last few hits is a drag, see what I did there, but so is standing around waiting even longer so few people can finish smoking.

Well, that's about all I have. Thank you to the staff. You all put in a lot of effort to make this thing happen and I want you all to know how much it's appreciated!
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Kaylan Chargeender wrote:
I'm wondering how many people actually know what Paer'An's build is...

I saw his sheet...its 25% little girl....67% BEEEATCH...and 8% GI Joe doll without the kung fu grip....
That can't be true. That adds up to 100% and if there is one thing I've learned about Paer'An is that he definitely doesn't add up to a nice even number like that...
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

sorry...forgot the 2% "EEeeEEeeeeEEEEeeee..."
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

At least we're all agreed that Paer'An is running at 102%...
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle