skill purchase prereq question

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

skill purchase prereq question

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

I am looking for some clarification on buying skills in a path or discipline, when you already have lower ranked skills.

As I currently understand it, if I have skill A on a list, from a source other than the path or discipline I am purchasing the new skill in, that I do not need to re buy lower level skills to get skills further up the ladder.

As an example, If a sage has culture lore from a path skill purchase, they would not need to purchase it if they wanted higher level diplomat skills.

I simply do not recall (and wasn't able to find the spot in the rules on the topic) if this is only true when buying secondary path skills, if it applies to buying discipline skills, if this is only when your swap out a basic path skill and then want the next skill from the path you stole the basic skill from, etc...

anyone...anyone...Bueller...Bueller...
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: skill purchase prereq question

Post by GM-Phil »

I believe this only works for Paths ad in relation to Jack of All Trades as they are able to buy Path skills out of order.

For instance a Sage who has Cultural Lore from Sage, does not have Cultural Lore from Diplomat as that is considered a separate skill.

Now if a Jack of All Trades had Cultural Lore, when buying up Sage a la carte, they would be considered to already have Cultural Lore.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Well I know if a Pc buys grabs spot as a basic path swap, and then buys basic crit strike, spot does not have to be rebought. Im guessing its a path only thing, but with discipline skills getting swap outs, we now have situations like a beast hunter taking the level 2 swap "Scout"; what happens if that PC then starts buying skills from the Scout discipline?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

The that character would have to buy the first level and would have "Scout" twice.

We can always look at it at the end of the year to see if there are any bad combos, but as of this moment it is only Path related when worrying about skill pre-reqs like you are talking.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!