questions from rules

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
GM-Mike
GM

Re: questions from rules

Post by GM-Mike »

Yep, we've discussed that and continue to do so. It may change that you can create scrolls but currently we are leaning toward no. We will listen to all arguments though.

You can expect to see more scrolls as treasure, yes
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

I would just like to say I oppose scroll crafting being in PC hands, for an example of how it can be broken I point to the pre 2015 alchemy and potions. Staff knows why alchemy is changing and scrolls should not be creatable by PC's so I need not post more.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

I agree with Ark. A limited number strictly controlled by staff would be the best way.
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

More on Magic Item Attunement...

If I end the game with 3 magic items attuned to me, will I be able to come into the next event with those magic items attuned to me, or will I need to spend the first hour and a half of my event attuning my magic items to me?

How do you go about attuning something to you? Can I walk, talk, go out on plots, fight?.... or will I need to be sitting at a table, focusing and concentrating my energies to "become one" with this item?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

You can start the game attuned to items already in your possession.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

GM-Mike wrote:You can start the game attuned to items already in your possession.
Does that include this first event assuming we have said magic items and enough attunement slots for them?

Also - I assume it does not mean that if I received a magic item 5 minutes before game off, I could come into the next event with it attuned.. or does it? Can we attune/unattune magic items as we see fit between games?

Another question on attuning magic items - Is it safe to assume you can only attune to magic items that have been identified or will you allow us to attune to unidentified items (if so, I would like to assume that will not let us identify them - or feel the powers/curses of them).
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

upkeep is going away.

I assume upkeep for magic items is staying.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Abaddon wrote:upkeep is going away.

I assume upkeep for magic items is staying.
I was wondering about that too. Handout says "All Item Upkeep." I'm interested on whether or not that means "ALL" or does all exclude exotic items and magic items too.

On the topic of spell casting - there's a bit in there about spells taking material components to cast - Will these be what magic components are used for now (assuming no upkeep on items), or will we be seeing new, never before used tags for these things?
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

As of this moment all upkeep will be going away. Magic Items, Exotic Items (Which are going to be reworked), Personal, etc. The only upkeep that will be staying are those that deal with the Economic System such as Holding upkeep, and Military.

Magic Components will likely be removed from game and those that are in game will likely be converted back into Mystic Resources.

As for Spells and Alchemy, you will likely be seeing new component types needed, as well as using resources such as Mystic or other things.

Your basic spell will look something like this -

Name - Attack of the Elements

Type - Focus

Essence Cost - 8

Component Cost - (1) of any Spell Component

Variable Cost - 1 Mystic Resource

Casting Time - 30 Second Charge with a 1 Minute Re-load.

Effect - After the 30 Second charge, destroy your (2) Spell Components to call a Game Stop and deliver a "10 Magic" Line attack.

This is merely an Example of course, the final spell may look slightly different.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

what about charged items?
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Zydana wrote:
GM-Mike wrote:You can start the game attuned to items already in your possession.
Does that include this first event assuming we have said magic items and enough attunement slots for them?

Also - I assume it does not mean that if I received a magic item 5 minutes before game off, I could come into the next event with it attuned.. or does it? Can we attune/unattune magic items as we see fit between games?

Another question on attuning magic items - Is it safe to assume you can only attune to magic items that have been identified or will you allow us to attune to unidentified items (if so, I would like to assume that will not let us identify them - or feel the powers/curses of them).
*poke*

Also, what of balancing magic items? Since magic items will no longer be balanced through upkeep, are you going to implement a new system of balance, or will there just be some magic items out there that are more powerful than others? (I can believe in that reality)

What if I take a magic item from someone else? It was attuned to them - but now I have it. Can I attune it to myself? If so, will there be 2 people attuned to the same magic item? Will an NPC need to go tell the other player that they are no longer attuned to that item - will it take the other person 30 minutes or happen instantly?
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Please specify EXACTLY what a player is agreeing to forfeit when he or she agrees to "retire" their character. Also, how will it be handled when in 2 events to 2 years, the player wants to bring that character out of retirement? Or after some "epic" death, his or her friends wander into some weird cave of the dead sort of thing...
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

retirement rules are just currently not worth it, you are so much better off just walking the character off the field and starting a new level 4 character. this is something that does not need to just be included for the sake of including it in the system. but figure out what your trying to get people to do.

do you want people to make more new characters more often to try new stories? then incentivize it.

the current option does not incentivize it, and would be better off as something available after PVP death or some such to lesson the sting of PVP. but the current option is just no good, a characters build is only half the story, it does not represent the years of character development within the world, the contacts made, the friendships and rivalry's formed with the PC's and NPC's.

but obviously you do want to cull the levels a bit, I can understand and appreciate that as well. so here are some things I would look at possibly considering.

1- including new characters into whatever the current ongoing plot is if they would like. give them inside info or some such so that they have something to immediately offer the PC's and be relevant, and help flesh out there character and get them into things. maybe they were a scout, a turncoat, or a prisoner, etc.

2- grant lasting benefits based on what they were previously on any subsequent retirement for free, if you were a warrior you get basic combat reflexes, you were a rogue spot, sage racial lore, healer first aid, empath sense magic, etc.

3- consider re doing hidden races and opening them up to people after retirement.

4- let people keep some of there current level progression bonuses (hero points, life points / essence points) after retirement.

some ideas and food for thought, as it stands now its just no good. and it should be a minimum of half levels.

-Ark
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
SirJoriel
New in Town
New in Town

Post by SirJoriel »

Well you say it's no good but here I am retiring a character next event. I'm not too worried about min/maxing since... I am a decent fighter irl and have also learned how to deal with people.

Retirement is great. Terrible for a character sheet but good for someone who has finished a character. In my opinion my 20th level assassin is better off as a level 5. (Because you start at level 0 not 4). My only disagreement is the wealth. They should lose it all...
Cicero the Impatient, Bard understudy to the court wizard of Brennondale, slayer of demons, and official storyteller of the battle of the bloodfence.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I deleted the last several messages because they were inappropriately negative or referring to those posts and therefore irrelevant after I deleted them. Brian and Josh, everyone on the boards know you hate each other, and quite frankly we're tired of reading about it. If you cannot treat each other respectfully, then your presence on the boards will no longer be tolerated. Since private messages have clearly been ineffective, I'm posting publicly because quite frankly, I'm tired of people thinking I don't respond to the childishness and disrespect that make up the majority of your conversations with each other. Clean it up because I'm done playing.

For everyone, please stay on topic. Your input is invaluable to this process as we try and improve the game. Thanks!