Action is the sole medium of expression for ethics.

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Action is the sole medium of expression for ethics.

Post by Abaddon »

"Spiders are a symbol of order and misunderstood." The elf says.

The elf smirks as he looks at the bandits.

He holds up his hands and the bandits become frozen in time. sweat dripping off them stops in mid air. Their motion is ceased.

"That settles that." He said. He snaps his finger and the illusion washes off the straw men. "I am used to people using a straw man argument against me that's a little to literal for my taste."

"What do wood elves want down here, since they are dressed as bandits? When my spell wears off it may be important to get that information from them."
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

"No honor among thieves, indeed. Well done, Abaddon. Trust in our comrades whom have entered the cave system to uncover and return the actual hostages. We have ten minutes before the bandits recover, correct? Perhaps you might look further into the nature of this coin." *Alinar begins charging a Sleep spell*
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

*after a healthy laugh at the expense of the brigands bravado being disintegrated by a wave of the wizards hand, Kaylan glances over at the Valkin Vi and speaks in a quiet tone.*

"Such symbolism isn't unknown to me, but they also excel in the ICK factor. Should I assume your going to pry their minds open for answers, like a starving orc would a tin of food?

YES...Alinar please help me be rid of this coins effects, and find out what sinister plan they are part of."

*Kaylan turns sharply and walks to where the coin juts from the earth and motions for Galadhorn and Lhaewan to join him.*

"While Alinar pokes it and myself with his magic stick.... I would like some answers about this coin, the enchantment that it infected myself, and I believe Bregolon , with..."
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

When Abaddon disperses the illusion, the propped-up hostages suddenly appear for what they are: mannequins made of sticks and straw. Nothing more. When his next spell freezes the bandits as well, several things happen:

As you investigate the coin, Lhaewan does not return form the woods, and Galadhorn does not move from his spot. Instead, he points to the cave. One lone bandit steps forward from deeper in the mine entrance, bow in hand, having escaped the spell. Overhearing Abaddon’s declaration of their identity, the figure removes a false nose and pulls pack her hood to reveal pointed ears and long, black hair. She looks no more than a teenager by human years.

“Wood elves?” gasps Galadhorn. “Always trouble. This is why they were not invited to the Merchants' Council…”

“Make no mistake,” says the wood elven girl. “We still have the human hostages. All four are deeper below. This fat, high born elf might not care for them,” and she gestures towards Galadhorn, “ but you humans do, yes? Which is why you’ll help us where we’ve failed. You’ve pried these merchants from their guards, now force that elf to free my clansmen,” she gestures to Abaddon and her frozen allies, “and deliver to us these wealthy devils. Then all will be set right.”

“If you think for a second they’ll comply, you’re delusional. I should never have agreed to this,“ replies Galadhorn. “ We are not close, yet we are kindred, of a sort...does that mean nothing to you? You want us because you envy our wealth, forest trollop? And, you want our dead to desecrate?” He points to the body of Ademon.

“Liar! Liar!” says the bandit. “One of you is responsible for this bewitchment. We know it! We’ve had spies in your caravan for weeks.” She turns to Kaylan. “The dead body must be burned to release the victims from their spell. Oh, you’ll never believe me. None of you ever do!”
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

"I can discern nothing further from the coin, Captain. I was asking Abaddon to assist you."

Alinar turns his attention to the Wood Elf.

"It would seem the deceptions are myriad and the sources multiple - not least of which is your own party."

Alinar indicates the strawmen. "You had no intention of delivering the human hostages whether your demands were met or not. Your companion there stated he intended to 'burn four bodies', and did not seem very particular on whom they were - that does not sound like someone hoping to 'release victims'. Rest assured, we will determine the true nature of affairs. Consider this your chance to provide such truths willingly. Why not start from the beginning?"
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"I will get to the mind reaving in a moment. So much to do." The young elf says with a smirk.

He walks over to coin and kneels in front of it. With one hand he draws a heptagon around the coin. Lines of magic stream from the coin like they are the strings on a harp. He locks his fingers in the stings and he tugs, his fingers glowing azure.
He rips the magic of the coin with a hard pull. Sparks show the metal face and lick against it's prison.
******Remove Curse.********

"I think we are going to need brain bugs for everyone." The elf said. He walks over to the forest elf girl and touches her chin.
"I am going to everyone a single pass. Tell us the truth or I will pull it from you. I will reach into you brains and a rip it out and every single one of you will remember it for ever. When you sleep, when you blink it will linger every brilliant detail."
He said. "Normally I like to take my time but our people are in the mine so I am giving you a pass. Tell us. Everyone of the thousands of souls who have had their minds chewed up all wish they had just told me."
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

The forest girl’s eyes go wide when she sees the coin. She watches the ritual performed by 'Abaddon the elf', and when he approaches her, she flinches and swings her bow around.

“Stay back. Was it you? Did you make the coins? If so, why try and remove their curse now? Was that a trick?” She pauses, confused, then addresses all: “We didn’t bring the hostages because there’s too great a danger they’d hurt themselves if released. They have been driven mad." She points to the body of Ademon. “That guard was handing out coins in the market for his masters, and those four humans took them. Coins newly minted from some rare metal, and powerfully enchanted. To an elf, they are harmless, but to a non-elf…should any of another race take one, they would feel a sense of debt beyond all measure to the last elf who held it.” She turns to Kami, pleading, “You, who hovers so silently next to this high elf wizard, have you taken a strange coin from him? Know that it doesn’t end with giving him all your money. Next comes your possessions, then your service, and finally, your life. And should you ever part, you will go mad. When he dies, you will still give to him. Only when his body is burnt to ash will you be free.” She turns back to Kaylan. “We did not take those humans in the market to harm them, but to try and save them!”

Grymthor snorts. “Yeah, right.”

“The incident in the market was just a test for tonight, for the Merchants’ Council meeting, when the thieves truly intend to strike. Our spies sent us word of this plot months ago... but none returned alive to tell us which of the three gold merchants was the mastermind. Perhaps it was all three.” Her eyes are angry and red, making you suspect the loss is personal. “Yet our warnings to the other races’ caravans were ignored. Our pleas to the human merchants dismissed as jealousy from savages with nothing to trade. We know we are outcasts! And so, we sought to disguise ourselves to make the convincing easier. Still, when we went to the market to tell the humans to abandon their newly acquired gold coins, they thought us bandits! We had to take them by force, and we brought them here for our mages to try and cure them. We did not mean to harm that dark elf who interfered… Even with all of your scorn, we have tried to aid you. Fates know why. It was Atakin,” and she gestures to one of the frozen wood elves, "who had the idea to pretend we had taken them as hostages. Force the humans to do what we could not. Apprehend those responsible. You would not believe the truth, so what els-"

She stops and swivels her bow as Bregolon steps forward. “I had no idea,” he says. “I’m sorry, but none of us would ever do that. You must be mistaken….Ouch.” Bregolon glances down at the orb in his hands, confused. “It’s hot. Ow!” He suddenly drops it, and it rolls forward, as if under its own power. “What?” Galadhorn rushes forward, but it’s too late.

The orb stops at the girl’s feet, and there is a massive explosion. She is thrown back, and so are Bregolon and Galadhorn. At the same time, a rumbling comes from the woods in the direction where Lheawan once was. You realize, you have not seen him for some time. Out from the trees bursts forth several lumpy golems, made from gold. Of your companions inside the mine, there is no sign. They should have been here by now, unless there was trouble…

[Combat (and rules for that) to come shortly]
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

*Alinar dismisses his sleep spell and begins focusing raw magical power.

"I would accept this as Lheawan's confirmation of the Wood Elf's tale and his own confession to participation in the coin conspiracy. Convenient, that. Unfortunately I am not particularly effective against golems."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

*Kaylan slowly turns to Galadhorn with a grin expression.*

"If here story turns out to be true, I assure you ...they will get what they seek to free and restore the captives. I will say that the situation isn't looking good for you so far, since Abaddon has heavily hampered the effects of the coin, but I can still feel its pull. You have shown naught but disdain for the captives, and have aided us only when ordered by Lhaewan "

*The dwarf turns back to the frantic female elf, and tries to present a calming and non threatening visage*

"Speak girl, I would hear your story. If it rings true, I will listen. Abaddon didn't create the coin, I found it on the dead elf."

*Kaylan gestures for Grymthor to let her speak*

"So far the effects of the coin I am experiencing lead me to think she is being truthful, lets hear her out."

*When the orb moves to the wood elf and detonates, Kaylan throws his shield between the blast and any of the Havenites behind himself, staggering before falling to his knees from the force. When the golems break the tree line Kaylan strains to stand glaring wide eyed.*

"Everyone, back to the cave mouth, Quickly! We will fair better with the cave limiting their targets! Alinar I will do what I can to stay low so you can attack over me, if you have the power to shatter it may be the best choice!"

*Kaylen steps forward several strides, his hammer level in front of him and shield at the ready for the golems first attack.*
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"I have a feeling that should we find the coin's creator, and kill them to death the coin's curse will fade. I pulled the magic from it for now. But those already affected are still enchanted." Abaddon says. He moved behind the dwarf as the golems come thundering up.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

"The girl spoke about burning the body of the one that handed em out, so if burnin his body doesn't solve the issue; I have a feelin we will be looking for the silent and affable Lheawan. Its starting to look like he will have a lot to explain.

Kami(**ooppss**) can you see to that girl? Grymthor drag that dead elf behind me and get your men set at the cave front."
Last edited by Kaylan Chargeender on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

The Valkin'Vi continues to watch the ground somewhere in front of her feet as the group descends with the lift while she stubbornly stays with Abaddon. She watches a small beetle scurry its way through a few blades of grass directly in front of her. When people come out of the cave, she pays them no mind. She briefly looks down the road again. Abaddon uses his magic to freeze those who came from the cave, but she pays it no mind - she's seen it all many times.

When the elf girl addresses her, the elf's words are ignored. Moments later, an explosion gets her attention. She looks to Abaddon first - who had walked nearer to the elf girl.. and stands at his side. As the golems rush forward and Abaddon gets behind the protective shield of Kaylan, she moves behind Abaddon... her priorities on keeping him safe, yet trying to remain aware of what may emerge from the mouth of the cave behind them.

When Kalyan calls to Nell, the Valkin'Vi woman glances back again into the mouth of the cave - perhaps the dwarf, versed in caves, can see or hear them coming...
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

You back into the mine entrance. The wood elves are still frozen. Grymthor and his men fight alongside you, but they are clearly outclassed.

Here’s how this will work. There are twelve ‘gold golems.’ You may each fight up to three rounds (stop whenever you like; you may hide instead of attack). Describe your battle.

If you take a “Wound” three times, you will need Surgery (or die). Take one or two Wounds, you are fine (no mechanical disadvantage). After combat is over, as long as you are alive, any Healing (or regeneration) will remove all Wounds. After everyone has acted, if there are any monsters left you may all do another three rounds. Repeat.

Round one:
A gold golem lumbers towards you.

Choose one of the following, then reveal it.
charge at it
+2
spin and strike
+1
Feint.
+2
wait in the shadows
The golem passes you by. Neither you nor your opponent hit this round. Additional +3 to next rounds choice when you jump out and surprise it.
Furious assault --Rage required.
+5 but you take a Wound in the process.
Cast Attack of the elements --spell required
Though the golems seem slightly resistant to magic, the physical force knocks them back. Your spell catches two of them! Roll twice on the table below, +3 to the 1st attack, and +1 to the 2nd.
Disenchant --skill required.
+4. It burns your opponent.
taunt, then attack --skill required
Taunting them doesn’t appear to have an effect. -1.
Fire Arrows from afar --archer required
+3, and you will not be wounded regardless of result
Attack from behind --basic critical strike required
+2
Channel Magic --skill required
While it seems resistant to part of the magic, the heat of the blast itself is effective in melting it. +2.
Heal the injured Bregolon --Healing required
He slowly stands up, groggy. He is going to be okay. Ignore combat for this round.
Heal the injured Wood elf girl --Healing required
She is severely burned. Surprised, she pushes you away at first until she realizes what you are doing. You are able to heal her wounds. Ignore combat for this round.
Heal the injured Galadhorn --First aid required
Galadhorn screams, 'Heal me, fool! Heal me!' You are able to tend to his wounds. What you do with him after that is up to you. Ignore combat for this round.

Roll two dice (http://www.random.org/dice/), add or subtract the modifier from your choice above, then add these additional modifiers:
+1 for weapon specialization (or anything akin to it).
+1 if you are wearing armor of any kind.

10 or higher= you defeat your opponent.
7-9 = neither you nor your opponent do significant damage.
6 or less = your opponent ‘Wounds’ you.

Round Two:
Another golem approaches.

Choose one of the following, then reveal it:
Lunge.
+2
aim for the head
The head doesn’t seem any more susceptible than the rest of it. Just +1 this round
Tackle it.
-2 unless you have Press, then +2 instead
Evade.
Don’t roll. Neither you nor your opponent hit.
Parry, then strike --Parry required.
+1, and you will not be Wounded regardless of result.
Shatter --skill required.
+7. But, an explosion of metal hits you and you take a wound.
Sneak up from behind--knock out required.
-2, It doesn't seem to work well against these creatures.
Trip the golem with your weapon
It doesn’t seem to work. Perhaps their center of gravity is just too low.... -2 this round
Wait for the perfect moment --Master Critical Strike or Touch of Death required.
+8. But it takes time. Skip the 3rd round.
Cast a spell --Wizard required
You are able to effect only one target. The golem is slightly resistant to magic, though your spell still works. +2 this round. Describe your spell. If it's non-damaging, this is an indicator for how effective it is.
Block --Defensive Matrix required-- then strike.
+1, and you will not be Wounded regardless of result.
He slowly stands up, groggy. He is going to be okay. Ignore combat for this round.
She is severely burned. Surprised, she pushes you away at first until she realizes what you are doing. You are able to heal her wounds. Ignore combat for this round.
Galadhorn screams, 'Heal me, fool! Heal me!' You are able to tend to his wounds. What you do with him after that is up to you. Ignore combat for this round.

Roll two dice (http://www.random.org/dice/), add or subtract the modifier from your choice above, then add these additional modifiers:

Round three
A big golem gets all up in your business…

Choose one of the following, then reveal it:
swing low.
+1
Heavy overhanded swing.
+2
Defend an Ally
+1. Inform someone who has not posted they have an additional +3 to their 3rd round choice. If everyone has posted, you fail to defend.
Light a torch and attack with that
+3.
Elaborate, Fancy maneuver.
+0 The golem takes no notice of your flashy moves
Double Strike--duel wield required.
+3, Roll again if you do not like the first result. Keep the best of the two.
Shatter --skill required.
+4.
cast sleep-skill required
-2, It doesn't seem to work well against these creatures.
Channel Magic --Channel required.
+1. While it seems resistant to part of the magic, the heat of the blast itself is a little effective in melting it.
Delay to Heal self or ally with potion or skill.
You wait. Do not roll for combat. When everyone has completed three rounds, you may heal one person of all Wounds before combat begins again.
Delay to Buff all with sage buff.
+0. You are still attacked. But, when everyone has completed three rounds, inform them they have +2 to combat for the next three rounds.

Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

Alinar gathers magic to him. While perhaps the least elegant of techniques, there was still something to be said about raw power. But when the gold golems dash themselves against the breakers of Kaylan and Grymthor's guard, they prove themselves too fast, too numerous. They splash over the fighters - some continuing on. Alinar unleashes a devastating bolt at a golem nearly upon him. The magic does little - merely slagging superficial features.

(Roll 3 and 3, with +1 from armor and +2 from Channel Magic = 9)

Then the war machine was upon him. Alinar ducks low as a massive fist swipes the space where his head had been. While low to the ground, he thrusts his blade between the charging golems' feet -entangling them. It maintains its footing, only thrown slightly off balance - but it's enough. It's charge falters.

(Roll 5 and 5 with +1 from armor and -2 from Trip = 9)

Alinar takes advantage of the brief opening in its defenses to rain blow upon blow on his foe. He sweeps his blade in from the left, then spins - building upon the recoil of the strike to hit the golem on the right. On contact, he slides his blade out, drawing it back behind him before pinwheeling up above them both and down into a shoulder blow. He finishes by flipping backward out of the reach of another ponderous golden fist. Alinar straightens to survey the damage he'd inflicted. Scratches, dents, and heat discoloration. It wasn't enough. Not nearly enough. This wasn't working.

(Roll 2 and 4 with +1 from armor and 0 from fancy attack = 7)
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

*when the complete number of the foes breaks the tree line, Kaylan shouts in surprise.*

"Ok...anyone that can afford a dozen golems of gold is coughing up his treasure when I get my hands on him!!"

*As the first of the automatons step within weapon reach, Kaylan's hammer springs to life with crimson energy and it sails at the chest of a golem to his left, then suddenly reversing into a heavy backhand that lands square in the face of the golem on his right. Red sparks and gold shard spray the area as the metal giant staggers back and falls over with a loud thud that can be felt through the ground.
Kaylan's eyes furrow and his brow wrinkles as he notices the focused magic in the hammer fade significantly for a few seconds before flaring back to full potency.*
Round One total.....11=(3+3)+2(Feint)+2(armor/weapon focus)+1(plot damage enhancer)
*An ear piercing clash of golden fist against the shield of dwarven steel cracks the air, Kaylan's shield deflecting and lifting the heavy blow of the golem that was the initial target of the dwarven knights feint.
While the mindless foe tries to reorient itself to strike again, the glowing hammer sweeps straight up into the chin of the golem, tilting it off balance and backwards. With a heavy grunt Kaylan pulls the hammer straight down, crushing the head and creasing the chest of the foe before it too falls over motionless.
The dwarf growls when the magic flowing in his hammer dips in power again after striking the golem. He waves the hammer in the air dismissing the power in it before turning back to the group briefly*

"Do not use magic to damage them, they seem to be absorbing it. I cannot tell if its healing or empowering them or not!"
Round Two total.....15=(6+5)+1(Parry, then strike )+2(armor/weapon focus)+1(plot damage enhancer)
*seeing the others becoming surrounded by the superior numbers, Kaylan dashes briefly left and then right to draw the closest golden minions to himself. The frenzied dwarf moves to cover the actions of Abaddon in hopes the crafty wizard with be able to use the time for a potent retort to the golems assault, leaping to sweep his hammer into the chest of another living statue with a forceful blow that cleaves a fist deep crack 2/3 of the way through the golems torso. The minions twists from the remaining torso connection and snaps in half before falling lifeless in two pieces.*
Round Three total.....14=(5+5)+1(Defend an Ally )+2(armor/weapon focus)+1(plot damage enhancer)
Abaddon has an additional +3 to their 3rd round choice
Sir Kaylan Chargeender