Online Adventure!

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Online Adventure!

Post by Phinkis »

Phinkis takes the shield with a puzzled look. He tilts it a couple times trying to replicate what Nellie had done. "Stranger and stranger. Let's get these questions over with. I feel we're not going to learn anything more until we get through this door."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

"Phinkis my friend, we are learning quite a bit, and well shortly learn more. From what we have seen, found, and know so far; I am guessing Daruis died 4 years ago during that ritual, and its his death that summoned the horsemen. I also think he is, or is possessed by, Svelnic the Mage returned by the curse Dresda Badule was hatching." Kaylan's says in a slow even tone to Phinkis, eyes never leaving Daruis and Harmon.

"Now from what Nell is hinting at, he may have somehow sacrificed himself to stop the ritual, or just been killed by in unwillingly. But I think the horsemen are NOT meeting him in the material, they are speaking to him from inside him. I think it is at those times they take over. Svelnic is the one I am guessing had the powers and skills to twist the magic to allow him that level of control. That is why Daruis keeps losing the shield and why it looks spectral at times; and Harmon confirmed it was, in fact, Darrius's shield. Svelnic hides it on him when relinquishing control I am thinking, or sets it aside and Darius remembers nothing of what happened or where the shield is."

Kaylan gently clears his throat and twists the hammer again, eliciting the metal on metal clink. " so gents, that brings us back to our game today...truth or trauma..."
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

“What did Dresda do to me four years ago?” Darius seems sincerely agitated. “Was my horse killed? Why would you ask those questions?”

Harmon turns to his son. “Darius, there’s no need to be frightened. It’s okay. You should have told us about this place, and what was going on, though. Why didn’t you at least come and get me this morning?”

“I tried to find you,” says Darius. “I rode up to the jousting grounds not long ago, but people either ignored me, or they gave me an odd look when I asked for you. They refused to answer me. Sometimes that happens, and I have no idea why. Ever since I lost those kids, people just want nothing to do with me, I guess.”

At the threat of “Truth or Trauma”, Harmon bristles. “Are you threatening my son?”

But, Darius starts mumbling. A light of recognition comes into his eyes, and a look of horror. “Please, I don’t want to think about the things I saw back then." He grips his chest like he’s been wounded. "No!”

Darius and the shield both immediately vanish.
Read only if you have Sense Magic.
They do not vanish to you. The features of Darius blur, and the shield suddenly jumps to appear on his arm. You see the ghostly figure with the shield run away, straight through the wall.
Thurton stares, shocked. Harmon looks around, crestfallen. “Oh dear fates, what has happened to my son?”
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Kaylan watches Darius and Harmon closely, slowly turning his full attention to Darius as the men speak and Darius mentions being at the joust and being ignored. "No Harmon, I am not...as this is no longer your son....he is..."

Kaylan goes silent when Darius begins mumbling, stepping slowly towards the boy, hammer raised to strike. When the man vanishes, Kaylan steps back into a defensive crouch, scanning the area; he shouts over his shoulder at Nell and Phinkis, " Nell! Phinkis! Watch yourselves, Darius Is the horseman from the joust. Phinkis...can you sense him at all?!"
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

"He's gone, he ran through the wall." Phinkis walks over to test the wall to make sure it's solid. "He has the shield too. Well then, I guess we should ready and give this riddle a try." After a second of complete stillness, Phinkis taps his sword against his chest. (Attempting to disenchant the protective enchantment Darius placed on me.)
GM-Amanda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Amanda »

"Okay, back it up, everyone get behind Kaylan's shield. I'm gonna guess."

Cirrus set her talons in front of the door, dropping into a slight crouch and setting herself with a deep breath. She watched until everyone was well out of the way. With a slightly shaking hand, the Av'yana pulled a quill from her pouch, tapped it a bit to flick some ink onto her hand and the tip, and carefully wrote a large number 12 in her narrow scribbly hand next to the engraving.

(Anticipation)
You are what you dare.

RESEACRH
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

Phinkis, you are able to remove Darius’s enchantment.

Harmon says he needs a moment to himself, but nods when you tell him to back away from the door. “Yes, we should hurry,” he says, barely paying attention. You aren’t certain what to do for the grieving father, other than give him time to process what he’s just discovered.

Cirrus scratches the number 12 onto the door. Nothing happens at first, but then there’s a humming noise. Cirrus jumps back just in time. Lightning suddenly arcs out from the door, its bright fingers touching all in the room. Everyone takes a ‘Wound’ (I’ll explain Wounds to new people in a sec), unless you have Avoid Traps.

“Clever guess, but I don’t think we got it right,” moans Thurton, grabbing his burned shoulder. “But look!” The humming has stopped, and you see that the riddle is now gone. The door has opened a crack on its own! “I guess whatever mojo was keeping it closed got spent on that lightening blast... which was probably meant to kill us. And probably would have too if we had been any closer... ”

You take a moment to address wounds (if you wish). Then, you sense, spot, and probe the door. Indeed, it appears dead now. Opening it further, you step through.

On the other side is an enormous cavern.

Directly to your right is a dais of stone and a large, shallow pit beneath it. To the left the cave extends to reveal a scene of nightmarish revelry. A bonfire lights this area. Rope has been tied to posts, and the dirt swept to create a makeshift jousting field. Seven men with undead horses can be seen here, though they are oblivious to your entrance, at first. Two ride at each other with lances while the others look on, sitting atop rocks with their mounts tied up close, or standing to get a better view. There’s laughter and jeering. Most are wearing some sort of yellow garment –tabard, coat, or cape- with three hawks on it. Their horses appear normal at first, but the longer you look, the more you can see rotting flesh peeking through. Only two ‘men’ are not with the rest. One is sitting on top of a large cart with several bushels of wheat on it. As you watch, he shovels the wheat –raw and unprocessed- into his mouth, then spits it out, disgusted. He balls his fists in anger, disappears, then reappears. A trestle table is set up nearby, laden with food -wine, fruits, roast ham, duck, -but it’s all been spilt and tossed around, uneaten, like the feasters were unhappy. His undead horse attempts to pick up a pheasant leg off the floor with its mouth, but the meat falls back down through a hole in its jaw.

The second rider can be seen at the back of the cavern, beyond the jousting field. He’s the one you encountered earlier with the circlet atop his head. Before him is a ring of candles and a large circle with runes that has been drawn on the floor. It glows electric blue. Inside it are three teenagers –Dresda’s children you presume. Each stands over a double of their own body lying on the ground, each body wearing an amulet, much like Thurton, earlier. Their ghosts writhe in anguish, but some invisible barrier prevents them from escaping the circle. Their onlooker laughs.

In the intervening seconds before you are noticed, you glance into the shallow pit in front of you to see the bodies of seven long dead horses lying below. Each has a jeweled amulet tied around its bloated throat. An eighth horse is there as well, set apart from the rest. Curled close to it is the only human figure amongst the bunch. Even shriveled with age, you can tell it is- or was- Darius. The body has a shield with it, and tattered grey clothing. The dead horse next to him has one black ear and one white. The bodies of both man and horse have a plain silver chain about their throats.

Harmon stares, and you have to pull him back from the edge.

Of the walking, talking Darius (or his undead horse) you saw earlier, there is no sign.
Read Only If you Have Recall Or Are a Wizard.
The seven horselords do not have bodies here. When the horses were raised from the dead, an additional curse must have summoned them from...elsewhere, probably unintentionally. The necromantic ritual appears to have been adapted by Dresda to include Darius as an afterthought.
The riders notice you before you can explore further. They stop their revelry and turn, swords and lances in hand. There's no way to Dresda's children except through them. The rider wearing the circlet seems to lead the bunch. He raises his arms and casts a spell. Any armor you are wearing starts to rot and decay. If you have Resist Magic or Counter Spell, you may prevent the effect to yourself only. He then snaps his fingers and raises from the ground three perfect copies of himself made of clay to ride at his side.

It's time for combat! I'll post it in a bit
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

Combat (much tougher than the last one):
There are ten opponents. You may fight up to three rounds (stop whenever you like). Describe your battles. If monsters (and you) still live after everyone has acted, you may all do another three rounds. Repeat.

Unless told otherwise, if you take a “Wound” three times, you will need Surgery (or die). Take one or two Wounds, you are fine (no mechanical disadvantage).

After combat is over, as long as you are alive, any Healing will remove all Wounds.

Decide before making each round’s choice if you target the rider wearing the circlet, one of the other six riders, or one of the three fake riders made of clay.

Round one: a rider gallops towards you.

Decide your target. Choose one of the following, then reveal it:
Attack its horse.
+2
upward swing at the rider.
+3
Feint.
+2
Crouch into a ball and pray for death.
Did you really choose this? Bravo. +4. Your enemy doesn’t see you, and you jump out later to strike.
Furious assault --Rage required.
+6 but you take a Wound in the process.
Cast a spell --Wizard required
+5. Describe your spell. If it's non-damaging, this is an indicator for how effective it is.
Disenchant --skill required.
+2. It burns your opponent.
Wait for the perfect moment --Master Critical Strike or Touch of Death required.
+10. But it takes time. Skip the 2nd round and proceed to the 3rd.
Banish --skill required
+6.
Disguise yourself with an undead transformation potion.
+4. Your bluff confuses the riders for a time. Add an additional +4 to your choice next round. You may not choose this again.
climb into the pit to Remove an amulet from a horse body.
A rider follows and attacks. -2 this round, but add an additional +5 to your choice next round when an undead horse disappears from under its rider.
climb into the pit to Remove an amulet from a horse and use a cleanse potion.
A rider follows and attacks. -3 this round, but add an additional +8 to your choice next round when an undead horse disappears from under its rider.
climb into the pit to Disenchant an amulet on a horse body.
A rider follows and attacks. -1 this round, but add an additional +5 to your choice next round when an undead horse disappears from under its rider.
Roll two dice (http://www.random.org/dice/), add or subtract the modifier from your choice above, and add these additional modifiers:
+1 for weapon specialization.
+1 if you have armor that wasn’t destroyed.
+1 for an enchanted weapon (magic).
+2 if you target one of the clay riders
-6 if you targeted the rider with the circlet.

15 or higher= you defeat your opponent.
8-14 = neither you nor your opponent do significant damage.
7 or less = your opponent ‘Wounds’ you.

Round Two: Another rider approaches.

Lunge.
+2
Spin to the side and strike.
+0
Jump atop the horse to push them off
Your gambit does not work. -2; unless you have Sure Footed, then +4 instead.
Evade.
Don’t roll. Neither you nor your opponent hit.
Channel magic --Channel required.
+3. If you can do Greater Channel, you may take +6, but it takes time -skip that last combat round.
Sneak up from behind--knock out required.
-2, It doesn't seem to work well against these undead creatures.
Attack from the shadows --anyone may try.
+1, +4 instead if you have Basic Critical Strike.
Repel --skill required.
It retreats momentarily. Do not roll. Neither you nor your opponent does damage this round.
Disarm --skill required.
+4. If you do not win, take an additional +4 to next round as well if you fight the same opponent again.
Cast Attack of the Elements --spell required
+5. After you hit, a rider redirects your spell through some magic! Skip next round to Counterspell the aftereffect, or roll 1 die for who is also wounded. 1=you, 2=Kaylan, 3=Cirrus, 4=Nellie, 5-6=no one.
Cast a different spell --Wizard required
+5. Describe your spell. If it's non-damaging, this is an indicator for how effective it is.
Block --Defensive Matrix required-- then strike.
+1, and you will not be Wounded regardless of result.
Use Rope to Trip a horse with aid from Thurton
+2.
push a rider into the pit with aid from Harmon
+4.
attempt to reach Dresdas children
-1. A rider cuts you off. You are not able to reach the children.
Roll two dice (http://www.random.org/dice/), add or subtract the modifier from your choice above, and add these additional modifiers:
+2 if you target one of the clay riders.

Round three: A rider tries to trample you.

swing low.
+2
Heavy overhanded swing.
+0
Grab the horse reigns and then strike
+2
Defend an Ally
+1. Inform someone who has not posted they have an additional +3 to their 3rd round choice. If everyone has posted, you fail to defend.
Stare intimidatingly, then attack
+2
Blood Curdling Battle Cry, then Charge.
+2
Elaborate, Fancy manoeuvre.
+3
Parry, then strike --Parry required.
+1, and you will not be Wounded regardless of result.
Double Strike--duel wield required.
+3, Roll again if you do not like the first result. Keep the best of the two.
Channel Magic --Channel required.
+3
Delay to Repair armor on self or ally.
You wait. Do not roll for combat. When everyone has completed three rounds, you may fix one persons armor before combat begins again.
Delay to Heal self or ally with potion or skill.
You wait. Do not roll for combat. When everyone has completed three rounds, you may heal one person of all Wounds before combat begins again.
Delay to Buff all with sage buff.
+0. You are still attacked. But, when everyone has completed three rounds, inform them they have +1 to combat for the next three rounds.
+2 if you target one of the clay riders.

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

As Kaylan's soaks in the grim sights, his lips draw into a tight line. He sighs lightly and nods upon seeing the body of Darius, realizing his earlier assessment was a bit off.

When the spectral riders move to attack and the caster unleashes his destructive magic, Kaylen pushes his will into his ring, bringing a brief glow as the armor devouring spell washes over him. Then the dwarf rushes forward, his hammer pointing at the ghostly wizard as shouts to the group "Svelnic! I have him! Someone try pulling the amulets from the dead horses!"

Kaylan drives his hammer at the specter, the glowing head trailing crimson light. The sharp crack of Kaylan's hammer striking the blocking weapon of the rider, causing a shower of red sparks, is loud enough to make the dwarf and those close blink. Kaylan swings his shield to deflect the wizards reply thrust, and then circles around to the entities rear. As he moves past the table, Kaylan grabs a drumstick form the table and bouncing it off the riders head with a grin ((TAUNT on the circlet wearer)) before motioning. with the hammer, for the rider to follow.
Round One total.....8=(2+5)+3(upward swing at the rider)+3(armor/weapon focus/enchanted weapon)+1(plot damage enhancer)-6 (targeted the rider with the circlet)
With the rider on his heels, Kaylan steps left into the path of a clay warrior. the dwarf stops suddenly and spins his back to the summoned rider as it passes him. His hammer sparks and trails an angry red circle is it chases the claw automaton before striking the back of its head, showering the area in a spray of shards.
Round Two total.....15=(5+4)+0(Spin to the side and strike. )+3(armor/weapon focus/enchanted weapon)+1(plot damage enhancer)+2 (target one of the clay riders)
Kaylan completes the turn and rushes madly at the next clay victim, jumping just before reaching the rider and bellowing as his silver weapon rains red glowing destruction down and through both rider and mount. " time for trauma!"
Round Three total.....16=(3+5)+2(Blood Curdling Battle Cry, then Charge. )+3(armor/weapon focus/enchanted weapon)+1(plot damage enhancer)+2(target one of the clay riders)
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Phinkis takes a defensive position to make sure Harmon and Thurton are protected but he keeps a close eye on Kaylan and Svelnic's battle. As a rider approaches Phinkis swings his sword wide and misses. The rider's lance lands firmly on the shoulder.
Round One total.....5=(1+1)+2(disenchant)+1(enchanted weapon)+0(Normal Rider)
Phinkis spins with the hit and looks like he may be stunned but the air around him begins to shimmer and the temperature begins to rise. He raises his sword again but this time he doesn't swing it, he simply points it at the rider that just hit him and river of flame engulfs him.
Round Two total.....15=(6+4)+5(Cast Attack of the Elements)+1(enchanted weapon)+0(Normal Rider)
Sensing that someone else has taken control of his spell, Phinkis dispels the energies fueling it even though it didn't seem to be heading at anyone.
Round Three..... Counterspell, rolled to see who it would have hit for description purposes and got a 5.
GM-Amanda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Amanda »

Cirrus spread wide, pulling Four from its sheath with a quick swipe, keeping her left firmly on Seven's hilt, ready to draw at a moment's notice. She stared down the undead rider charging her, curved blade pointed steadily at the oncoming charging steed. Just when it looked about ready to trample her, she leapt up, talons digging into the nearly destroyed saddle and allowing her to shove the rider out, the ferocity and speed of the hit not quite nearly enough for her to miss the kill. The Av'yana took a moment to savor the hit, grimace over her armor, and look around for her next target.
Round 1 Total - 16 = 2+3+10(Master Crit Strike)+1(curved blade)+0(Normal Rider)
Skip Round 2
A second rider swept up from behind Cirrus, and she spun and rolled underneath the mount, grabbing onto the straps of the saddle. Four came around as she used the momentum to swing her up into striking range, but the knight was ready with a bony backhand that knocked her free into a tumble. The Av'yana came up on her talons, feathers puffing slightly as she traced that knight's progress around the arena with her eyes.
Round 3 Total - 11 = 3+4+1(curved blade)+3(Elaborate, Fancy Maneuver)+0(Normal Rider)
You are what you dare.

RESEACRH
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

I'm going to go ahead and say that curved blade will indeed give anyone a +1 to your roll, but only if you're choosing a critical strike type of attack (there are a couple here, some explicitly stated, some hidden...). That makes sense. Likewise, any other skill or magic item that increases the base damage of the type of attack you are performing as your 'choice' will give you a +1 to your roll. I realize this system is not perfect (nor particularly balanced); It's just mimicking combat for a little fun. So, for this adventure, go ahead and take a bonus +1 if something applies to what you're doing, or ask me if you're unsure.
Nellie Duncan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nellie Duncan »

Nellie hisses as the lightning strikes her through an upraised arm. Once the jerking from the electrocution slows down, she brings a soft-white glowing hand up to the wound and heals the damage. "Alright, line-up - we don't know what is past here and it'd be downright stupid to go in already damaged." She takes the time to heal the rest of the party's wounds.

(Round 1: Total 8 = 6+5 (roll) -3 (climb into the pit to remove an amulet from a horse and use a cleanse potion)
When they get through the door, what light danced in her eyes went away as her eyes fixed firmly on the sight of the children's essences. When she hears Kaylan's shout, she immediately turns to follow the order, climbing down into the pit. As she descends, one of the undead riders circle the breach, leaning down and swiping at her head. Just as it appears the rusted steal would meet her flesh, Nellie lets go and drops to tumble-roll onto the ground of the pit.

Not wasting time, though covering her nose with a sleeve due to the stench, Nellie crouches down by the nearest of the horse corpses. She goes straight for her potion pouch, the tinkling sound of glass on glass as she removes a small vial of clear looking liquid. Wrinkling her nose, she drops her other hand to remove a handkerchief from her pouches. Wrapping up the amulet around the horse's neck, she tugs it free and then pours a cleanse potion upon the decayed corpse.

Round 2: Total 10 = 1+2 (roll) +8 (previous round's choice) -1 (attempt to reach Dresda's children)
Knowing she's out of cleanse potions, Nellie runs across the pit in the direction of Dresda's children, thinking of using the pit to get behind the enemy lines. After climbing up the steep sides, she rushes towards them only for one of the riders to spot her and with a hard jerk of the reigns turn its mount and gallop towards her. Feeling the wave of cold dread that proceeds most undead things, Nellie drops and rolls to avoid another chop at her head. As she tumbles up to the balls of her feet and starts racing back towards her companions, she catches the sight of the rider that had just attempted to cut her head off pitching head over heels as the mount beneath it disappears. Laughing, she makes her way back to Kaylan and the others.

Round 3: Total 8 = 3+4 (roll) +0 (delay to buff all with sage buff) +1 (Flee)
Coming upon the un-dead's line of offense that's now between her and the others, she tries to weave her way between them. As she jumps through a gap in the line, almost having made it one of the horses to the side rears and pivots, attempting to bring down its hooves upon her person. Recognizing the danger, she ducks her head and streamlines her body, putting on a brief extra burst of speed to get through unscathed.

Heaving great gulps of breath as she ducks behind her friend's line of defense, she twists a hand into another pouch, bringing out the bag of powder she sometimes uses in her augments. Flitting from person to person, she takes a good pinch and throws it at them, while invoking the spirits of their own dearly departed. "Honored forefathers and mothers in the Great Halls beyond, I ask that ye put down your well earned ale for a brief time, and lend your mortal descendants and their allies a helping hand in laying to rest bitter spirits who seek harm against those who did them no harm or trespass. Follow my voice and courage, seek out those upon whom my favor resides, and give glory to the battles ye once fought in ages past by doing battle once more!" (OOC: Everyone gets +1 to the next 3 rounds of combat (i.e. not the combat rounds you have already posted, but the next 3 rounds.))

Biting her lip, she tyes the powder bag closed and stuffs it back into her pouches. She then looks up and over at Phinkis. "Master Phinkis, if you have any cleanse potions you'd be willing to part with, I've found that they work after removing the amulet around one of the horse corpse's necks in a delayed effect to banish a rider's mount, which can give us a good advantage in the next confrontation."
Last edited by Nellie Duncan on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Nellie Duncan
Minister of the Interior
Master Sage
Master Craftsman
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

A ghostly form materializes through the wall, and you recognize Darius. He is atop his horse, a mare with one black ear and one white –and missing a good deal of flesh- but he seems undeterred by her ‘undeadness.’ He has a shield in one hand, and a rusty sword in the other. He gallops towards the battle, and he reigns in next to his father, briefly.

“I failed you,” says Darius. “I remember what happened. I died before I could find those children. You charged me with watching them. I let them go, and when I interrupted her ritual, I died, here, at Dresda's hands, before ever making amends.”

Harmon can barely speak. “You never failed me, my son. I was always proud of you.” He swallows his tears, and goes to embrace what remains of his son.

“It must be later, father.” Darius turns his mount, and puts himself between an approaching rider and his father. Battle engulfs them.

As the fight continues, Darius will fight alongside you. His horse is surprisingly quick, and while he is not strong, he flutters around the battlefield giving aid. In future attack rounds, if you should ever fail your roll by 1, Darius will be there to help. Consider it a success (and describe his assistance).

Take another 3 combat rounds each (just start at round one again). As you observe your opponents, you get a little better at predicting their moves, which explains your foreknowledge of certain choices, which you may use again, or not, as you see fit.
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

There's the rider with the circlet, one clay rider, and four regular horselords left, though one is without a mount, currently (as Nellie made it vanish).If you choose to attack that particular horseless rider now, you will get an additional +2 against him, as he is at a disadvantage compared to his other companions. Any other 'de-mounting' modifiers should be covered by the hidden text.