Arks thread of tough love and abuse #9 control skills

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Arks thread of tough love and abuse #9 control skills

Post by Ark »

primarily skills like charm and dominate, but that idea in general (in relation to any larp)

I personally don't like the idea of effects that force a person that came to have their own good time and play their character to play someone else's game because of a skill effect. so I much prefer the negative effects to be fast and obvious, such as:
Fear! for how long? 10 seconds! go!
Root! for how long? 10 seconds! go!

obvious, easy to keep track of, etc.

personally in this system we have:

Charm! which one? pacify! what does that one do? this! for how long? depends! (scene slowly breaks down around you)

(btw why do we even prefix them with charm? why not just pacify! dominate! mesmerize! etc.?)

so if you had to come up with an idea of what "Charm!" could do, has to be simple, only last for 10 seconds, and preferably not include any more words or suffixes other then the initial call of "Charm!" what do you think you could come up with?
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arks thread of tough love and abuse #9 control skills

Post by GM-Phil »

I will only add this - I believe the Charm prefix was added to lump many of these skills into one type, so there could be one resist for them - rather than just call Pacify, Calm, etc.. and possibly need a Resist for each and every one.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

and because they didn't want to invent a new call, so that was the compromise.

my problem is that I can not remember what the hell each one does when I get hit with it. CJ says (They are all synonyms and he is right.)
Travis Cole
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Just because skills have different names/calls doesnt mean they cant all be resisted with a resist charm. Charm doesnt NEED to be in the call for players to remember the proper resist. Ive seen it elsewhere.
I personally don't like the idea of effects that force a person that came to have their own good time and play their character to play someone else's game because of a skill effect.
Then its a good thing the game doesnt have any skills that make any player, play any game other than the one they showed up to play; which happens to have some skills that allow short term control over other beings in a limites sense because its 100% logical they would exist in the game world FH is trying to simulate. The only game any FH player should be playing is the one the GMs are running.
Since coming to experience that simulated game world is exactly what every player SHOULD be coming to do, because thats what LARP is all about, then the only players that will have issue are the ones that come to play for the wrong reasons. See how that worked out for you.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

I have the same problem travis. and its even worse with people that don't know the rules very well. we do have resists that cover multiple named skills (resist mind effects covers a lot of different named skills, though iirc charm is not considered a mind effect.)
I get your point brian, and while it is a perfectly valid point I personally still want to avoid long duration compulsion effects.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.