The Haven Chronicles: Year 1

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

The Haven Chronicles: Year 1

Post by GM-Mike »

(GM NOTE: The Haven Chronicles is a periodic publication which originated during the first year following the Red Tear's Decimation. The following are excerpts from that publication)

King Korrigan chosen as First Lord by the newly formed Vanguard Alliance. 
By Josiah Mason, 2nd Scribe – The Chronicles of Haven

On this, the fifth moon of the first year of our New Kingdom, his Majesty King Korrigan met with rulers from across the land to discuss the formation of an alliance of nations. It was agreed that, given their great success in exterminating the Red Tear, the nations of Haven, Sylvan’dar, Caledonia, Killeshandra, Woodhold and Woodhaven would form a new union, to be called the “Vanguard Alliance”. 

The charter of the Vanguard Alliance recognizes the territory and sovereignty of each of its members and joins them in a “brotherhood of nations” for the purpose of “maintaining the peace and defending against threats to the people of Phanterra”. Each nation’s ruler sits as an equal upon the Vanguard Circle, which is in turn led by a chosen member as First Lord. In recognition of his service forming and leading the campaign against the Master, our own King Korrigan was chosen as the inaugural First Lord and will serve at the pleasure of his fellow rulers. 

Brandybrook Expands. Takes New Students.
By Carmac Winterwater, Senior Scribe –The Chronicles of Haven 

The prestigious Brandybrook Academy built two new wings to accommodate more classrooms and collections. They subsequently put the call out to new students. The exclusive school has always taken apprentices, but now it’s suddenly become fashionable for shop owners to send their children to get their “readin and ritin”. Not everyone is pleased, however. “I ain’t sendin’ me boy to get no pointless learnin’” says Hadrian, a farmer of Haven. “Star watchin’ and poetry and whose-a-what-nots written by dead people! I think not. Have you seen the crop this year? Fantastic! I’m up to me armpits in barley, and I’m needin’ all hands in the field, preferably wieldin’ pointy harvestin’ thing-a-ma-gers!” When Hadrian’s son volunteered the actual names of these tools –in alphabetical order- he was promptly sent to bed without dinner.

Vessels of old spotted off Haven coasts
By Arvellon Talmin, "Eyes and Ears" - The Chronicles of Haven

Word has reached the ear that a quartet of Pre-Cataclysm naval warships have begun sailing off the coast of Haven. The eyes are yet to confirm such, but what information has arrived places them as having belonged to the Silverthorn Royal Navy. Each flies the same ensign, however the colors are yet to be identified. As registries of Silverthorn vessels are incomplete it is not known where these 4 hail from.

The largest is supposedly a Man-of-War, a ship of the line known for carrying a large arsenal often purposed as a flagship. It has been flanked by a pair of frigates, well armed and armored support. The last and smallest of the group is a brig, not as armed as the frigates but possessing speed and maneuverability unmatched.

Having seen the beginnings of Haven's navy in Korrigan's Landing, the mouth says they don't make them like this anymore.

Gateway, Susspin and The Corsair Isles Granted “Protectorate” Status. 

Following negotiations with the Crown, delegations from the regions of Gateway, Susspin and the Corsair Isles have announced that they will join with the Kingdom of Haven as Protectorates of the realm. This status preserves their individual sovereignty while allowing for open borders, free trade and the extension of Haven’s protection in return for a modest tax and the assignment of a Governor.

King Korrigan called the new protectorate agreement a “good way to ensure that both Haven and its friends can grow stronger in the days to come”. 

Personal Shorts
By Zee Zee Mandalay, Special Correspondent—The Chronicles of Haven

For those who believed there was something stirring between our Queen and that Marcus Gideon, a little birdie confirmed as much and the two are going to get married! Hmm hmm, I told you so. Details of the wedding are still being finalized but we'll keep you posted as to whether us common folk will be allowed to attend or not (Psst, I'm guessing so!). So hey, how exactly does this work anyway, the king, the queen, and her husband? What does that make him, exactly? I know She and Korrigan were not exactly the traditional royal family, but still, it is odd, am I right? Well don't you worry, we'll get it all sorted out...

Funnies
1. How does an Octopus go to war?
2. What kind of flower is on your face?
3. What do you call a psychic midget who has escaped from jail?
4. What did the baby say to its mother after breastfeeding?
5. What do you call a fish with no eye?

Find the Answers at the end of this Edition of The Haven Chronicles!

Rumors
By Zee Zee Mandalay, Special Correspondent—The Chronicles of Haven

Has it been almost too quiet lately? No giant monsters destroying the town? No insane mages threatening the end of the world. Even general thievery is well down from this time last year, at least here in Haven Proper. There are some that believe it's all being covered up, that we're being shielded from the truth. Well let me tell you if that is true, this is one man who is THANKFUL! I can actually walk from my home to the inn by most any route I choose and not think I'm going to die gruesomely anymore. So thank-you to all the liars, all the cover-up artists, all the defenders of the innocent who go around maiming criminals and dispatching of them without the rest of us being aware of it. Thank-you for the blissful ignorance that this has caused. Keep up the good work!

And now, Rumor Snippets!
Rumblings of a violent Gavin tribe excluded from the Vanguard Alliance.
King’s most trusted political advisor is…an elf!
Orc with an extreme overbite mourns the untimely death of his human bride; wails of grief heard across the hilltops near the Mining Village for a week straight.

Council of Knightly Orders convenes first meeting under Preceptor Gideon. 

Preceptor Marcus Gideon, Hearthknight and recently appointed leader of the Knights of the Silver Stag, presided at the initial meeting of the Council of Knightly Orders earlier this moon. Preceptor Gideon and the Knights of the Silver Stag were joined by representatives from the Knights of the Green as well as the Knights of the Rose and Thorn. 

Minutes from the meeting and discussions with the attendees suggest that the Knightly orders largely agree on their duties as protectors of the people and champions of good. Members of all orders thanked Preceptor Gideon for his work in establishing the council and indicated confidence in his leadership and their continued collaboration.

Road Construction Underway! Queen Increases Military.
By Carmac Winterwater, Senior Scribe –The Chronicles of Haven 

Initial construction of roadways increases merchant trade, but disputes about routes, and a rising tide of robbery, creates an uproar. Parties with vested interest, and land with uncertain owners, slows the building. “It’ll all get sorted out,” a member of the royal council is recorded as saying, “and the roads will be a finished. It’ll take a few years, though.” Meanwhile, the Queen has personally overseen an increase in the military, and patrols have been set to insure safe travel and to deter thieves. 

Kingsguard Captain captures would-be saboteur, ship construction continues.

Lord Kaylen Chargeender received recognition from the Crown after exposing and thwarting a plot by a rogue agent to burn down part of the newly completed shipyards at Korrigan’s Landing. The saboteur, identified as a former pirate from The Corsair Isles, was part of a four man team who attempted to solicit assistance from local residents. 

Lord Chargeender received word from concerned citizens that “some scallywag” was talking about how Haven’s new Navy would “stop a dishonest man from doing a proper pillage”. Working with newly-commissioned Naval director Captain Zandron and Marine Commander Mahto, Lord Chargeender tracked the saboteur back to his compatriots and, after a brief battle, apprehended three of the four men responsible. The fourth died of his injuries.

Personal Ads
Compiled by Zee Zee Mandalay, Special Correspondent—The Chronicles of Haven
Farmer Ghoulson is seeking a strong hand to help with the harvesting of the crops this year, as his son is off seeking his fortune in Gateway and his wife, at the age of 63 is pregnant and is unlikely to be in any shape to help.

Brandybrook Academy is looking for workers to help them once again expand their university. The recent influx of refugees is pushing the limits of their ability to serve all those who wish to learn.

Simon's Uncasual Drinker's Society, or SUDS, meets the second day of each week, from noon to midnight. All are welcome.

Want to read and discuss the latest short story by Vander Hollux? Meet at 1-3-2, XV, Hollowood tomorrow night.

Medical assistant required: Looking for individuals interested in testing poisons. Possible pay depending on willingness of subjects. So far nobody has taken to this offer. Chance to explore varying and intense levels of intoxication based on poisons utilized! See Aurora or Stormaggedon if interested!

Funnies Answers
1. Well Armed.
2. Tulips
3. A Small Medium At Large
4. Thanks for the Mammaries
5. Fssshh