Calling all Magistrates

Inside and around Castle Gravesbane
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Ark entered the room, letter in hand, and paused, a little confused when he saw there was already a copy of it posted. Seeing the familiar form of Brey, he understood, and gave the man a nod of thanks. “Ah, I see you saved me the trouble of posting this myself. Thanks.”

He listened to all that was said, and simply shook his head, seemingly genuinely sad. “I’m sorry that you misinterpreted that as a death threat. I assure you, it wasn’t intended as such. I’m not much of a hand with words, you see… I was merely letting you know that it had been made known to both myself as Champion of Haven, and several of the Magistrates, that there were those who spoke of killing you. Sunny, of all people, spoke up for you. I only had concern for your well being, not your ideals. You’re welcome to say whatever you like, as there is no law against free speech. I just worried that I cannot, nor can the Magisterium, protect you at all times.”

He sighed and shook his head. “I have a duty to my Queen to uphold her laws, and chosen ministers. That was the duty I accepted when I became Champion. As such, I must act on her behalf in her absence to support her chosen Regent, her Magistrates, and her actions. I am not her. I cannot, nor would I be so arrogant as to try, speak for her. I can only do my best to protect her folk, and that includes you.”

Ark took a seat off to one side. “I wasn’t sure if you knew that there were those upset by your words, of the people, who had already come to the Magistrates with their fears and concerns. I wanted you to know, because I don’t believe in holding a man accountable for what he doesn’t know, about the laws on such things. You are passionate, and seem to care. I have a duty to see your rights protected, as well as those of everyone else.”

“You know how people can get when rumors fly. It doesn’t take much imagination to picture the harm that could be done if people got the wrong impression about things. Have faith in the Magistrates until after they have announced their decisions and whys. If you don’t like it after that, then I’m sure Fionna, and they, would be more than happy to hear your statements and work toward the good of all citizens. We who uphold the Queen’s domain do so because we believe in this home, and in the people as a whole. I wouldn’t have sent you that letter if I didn’t care about your well being, Brey.”

Ark gave Francesco a wry smile. “You deserve more respect, as Constable, than I’m afraid you’ve been given, good sir. And I’m sorry you didn’t realize I was Champion of Haven, no less an agent of our Queen than yourself. I was merely upholding my sworn responsibilities to our Queen, and am not in any way a fool as you might think. I owe it to Queen Esmeralda to protect her people, even if they don’t return her concern for them with respecting her choice of Regent. That’s between her and them, I’m just doing my job.”

With that, he looked down at his still empty glass, and sighed. then proceeded to loo around for something of taste to fill it with.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

"This letter was not intended as a threat? You must truly think us all to be ignorant if you expect anyone to interpret the words you have written to Brey as anything else."

"If you wished to assist Brey you should have simply been honest and alerted someone that there is a plot to murder one of your fellow townsfolk. Instead you wrote a letter with thinly veiled threats. For one who has been granted a title it is deplorable and does dishonor to the kingdom in which you represent."

Francesco looks for one of the bottles of wine that Esmerelda would keep in storage. He uncorks it and fills up Arks glass. He then fills another glass for himself

"But have another drink Champion! Let us toast to the honor and respect that we manged kill today. Let them never weigh on our minds or hearts again. Instead let us rationalize our wrong doings with titles and never worry about guilt or accountability as long as we draw air."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“Brey, you have said the current leadership – Fiona – decided to follow suit of the old and do nothing about the deaths of Kami and Mary. Fiona has not had time to do anything. Saying otherwise *is* slander, and I would ask you to stop, for such words cause but fear and anger. The upcoming hearing is intended to look deeply into the events of that night. Not just exactly what happened, but why these things happened. Everything must be taken into account.“

“You believe Fiona was chosen as Regent because she is Esmerelda's friend. There is truth in this, as Fiona was one Esmerelda could thoroughly trust. But the main reason, I believe, is that Fiona has proven time and again to possess the organizational and managerial skills to run Haven efficiently and effectively. She is not a diplomat, true, but is a good person to keep Haven prosperous until it again has an appointed leader.

“As Ark has said, his letter is not proof a Magistrate – or anyone for that matter – is seeking your death, Brey. Haven cannot exist in an atmosphere of vigilantism and civil war. That is the true purpose of the hearing – to address prior events in a legal setting and ensure the people such acts are not tolerated in the future. That disputes must be handled according to law, and citizens are protected by law and order.”

“This is a serious concern of the people. They must know that disputes cannot devolve into murder. That a neighbor will not draw a knife during their next argument. That significant consequences exist for such dire acts, and justice will be tirelessly sought.”

“Though, all in all, you were certainly right to speak up, Brey. Ark’s letter does contain language that is most distressing. I am very glad you sought to bring the details up here, rather than seek to met out resolution, yourself. That goes to the heart of what must be accomplished for all of Haven.”

“However, to be fair, a confidence vote was destined the moment Esmerelda appointed Fiona. The people in Haven must always know they have a say in their fate – that they are not slaves who may never challenge their master. The law of Haven must never allow this.”

“You say that Haven needs a leader, not a follower, in charge. Agreed. But until there is a leader, Haven would do well to have a Regent. That is where Fiona fits in. The Magistrates and the upcoming hearing are to ensure the absolute authority of which you are concerned is never again allowed by any one person.”

“And I do prefer to call it a hearing as opposed to a trial. Information and understanding are the focus. All parties involved will have ample chance to be heard, as much information as possible will be gathered, and Haven will decide from there how to respond and how to proceed – on a number of concerns. “
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"With the return of Regis Mortim, and the War against the Tear, we need everyone to be working against the enemy, and not against each other. Yes, at times I was guilty of that. I felt at the time I was doing what must be done. And I am so doing now."
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

Garritt fixes a steady eye on Abaddon.

"Yeah? Then stop chiming in only to stir the pot and set people against each other. That could be one of the best things you could ever do, and it doesn't require a single drop of your vaunted magic. Why don't you just stop getting off on the troubles of others and help keep the town strong?

And another thing.... the fucking Ezites? Are you serious?!? Stop trying to get everyone to galvanize into factions while in the same damn breath that you say we need to work together. All you ever do is play both sides against each other.

There are no "Ezites". Only the people who were happy to live in a place where we could suit up and go fight evil in the world, knowing we had a safe and secure place to come back to. Now people want to put that in jeopardy when two seconds ago they benefited from it as much as anyone else.

(he shrugs)

Like Dallid says. Fionna hasn't done anything about the three who are going on trial. That's probably because we haven't had time to have one.... yet. Brey, you have all these reasons why she's such a horrible incompetent choice for leader, but I have yet to hear even one other reason than about matter that hasn't even been resolved yet.

The main reason I support her is that she'll help everyone in this town without a concern for who or what they are or what circle they travel in, as long as they are good people. I sure as hell can't be sure of that from you guys, who haven't ever spoken to me for more than thirty seconds in the three and a half years I lived in the ruined foundation of a building in Avenguard and did everything I could to protect what little good remained there.

I really don't want to have to crawl up to you and your people and debase myself by begging to be part of your group just to survive, when you haven't ever shown me one ounce of respect or comraderie. So far I've only gotten scorn and insults.

Half the time we were struggling just to survive in Avenguard. If you and Cristo are so deep into putting great public works projects into place around here, and want all these great things to pass into being for the prosperity of the kingdom, why did you sit around all those years in Avenguard and watch that place crumble? Why weren't you a hero of the people then, when they needed heroes the most???

You speak against a person who was thrown the reins of leadership, who lacks the confidence grown of experience but has never once done anything against the town. But you and your friends let all the bad things happen in Avenguard without ever once speaking up as strongly as you are doing now, and those times needed such action tenfold more than right here and now.

Hell, you and your friends supported a town that gave a Vampire Lord citizenship papers!! A town that let vampires and evil spirits roam free in the streets at night, while citizens slept in ruins and insisted on holding elections and trials while their buildings burned down. I sure haven't seen evidence of any of that here, if Esmerelda was such an evil dictator.

And where were you guys when that place was destroyed? You were both in charge along with Zeira, and after he died and the Gnoman city exploded, you just up and came back here. A band of complete strangers to the area had to save all of the survivors and lead them to Witchwood Hold and safety.

Cristo could have taken up the reins and been a leader then, and those people would have been happy to see him do it. But instead you both served Esmerelda faithfully and then turned on her the moment she's gone.
Last edited by Garritt on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

He sighed. "I'm sorry you see it that way, Francesco, because that isn't what I meant, whatever application you may chose to put on it. The fault is mine for writing with haste and not far more carefully considering my words. It still saddens me that this place has made you so bitter. I remember a time when you would have thought better of a man when he gave you a reason to do so. Usually, it's only those of us who survived the Night of the Burning Skulls who only see the negative," and he gave a sad smile.

Ark did not touch the glass. He knew when he was being mocked and wasn't having any of it. "I don't need to hide behind a title. I stand loyally behind our Queen, nothing more, nothing less. No less, in fact, than you do. You're a good man, Fancesco, too good to be so flippant and negative. We are on the same side, here, believe it or not."

"As for murder talk, there is none, anymore. I believe the words to have been spoken rashly, and in anger, by someone who didn't truly mean it. It's been made pretty damned clear that any more such talk will put them before the Magistrates, so it has quited. I'll be sure to let you know as well, as Constable, if I hear anything else. Apologies for not coming to you in the first place."

He walks towards the door to take his leave, but turns over his shoulder one last time.

"I truly belive that we are nearing a state of peace in Haven, one were we can finally stop looking in, and start looking outside. I also truly felt, that if people know how others are reacting to their actions, they might change, or see things differently. and though i dont agree with everything, or everyone, i belive Abaddon is right in this case. . .

Ark leaves the Keep, to patrol the roads and protect the people.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Watching the debate in disgust, Aurora addresses the crowd*

My word, a bunch of you are just Goram Idiots. Did you learn nothing for your time in Caldonia about not shitting where you sleep? I'm sorry but you are a bunch of wolves striving to be Alpha.

Who in the fuck is this Sunny. *Said very sarcastically to Ark* Yeah she sure did a whole lot to stop that assasination attempt. Right up to and including sticking her blade into Kami and that little girl. That's some fine job of protesting. Now from what I hear she thinks she can kill just about anyone she chooses because she can hide behind the "Queen's" skirts and it's ok.

*OOG: This is said before Ark leaves*

And Ark....ah Ark that letter is nothing but one pure threat directed towards Brey or anyone who chooses to speak their mind. Who the fuck are you to call yourself a "Champion of Haven". Let me see *she looks around* there are plenty here to could claim to be one. I mean damn, even Abaddon who some of you wish were dead, could claim that. You are nothing special and for you to try to pathetially backpeddle on an obvious threat is just demeaning. Do you believe the assembled masses are that dumb?

Written in haste my ass. You meant every word of it and don't deny it. The only one truly looking out for the people as he has always been is Dallid and we all here know it which is why we all respect him.

*She darts a look at Brey*

Ah Brey, you aren't immune to this either. I hear you and your brother were talking about killing me from a source I trust. So technically Brey you are not more innocent than Ark. I like you guys and some of what you are saying does make sense, but damn it you are not that innocent either.

Brey, did you ever think that maybe just maybe the Magistrates might rule to punsh Serith, Gabriel and Sunny? I mean granted I seriously have my doubts, but I'm at least willing to hope the correct call will be made for if it is not, it sends a message. That being hey you can get away with theft and murder as long as you know the right people and that is NOT a society I wish to live in.

Since this whole who is in charge issue is all up for debate, here is a simple idea....three of you lead. You say Fiona lacks confidence, ok fine but let her rule along side the idea man Cristo and the center of balance for you all which is Dallid. Why have a single ruler since there is so much damn debate when those three could do the job. From there the three of them could decide who is the "mouthpiece". This way all sides are happy...well as satisified as one could hope for and maybe you all could to back to refocusing on the REAL ENEMY, which is not each other.

If Abaddon is correct that would be one Regis Mordom THE necromancer of necromancer and an evil as great if not bigger than this Corbyn asshole. No wonder the Red Tear is rising if their Icon is back from the dead, which means a lot of innocent people are in danger both here and in your allies lands like Caldeonia and where King Rodrick is.

I'll tell you this, you all keep this crap up you are prime for him to take over you all and this area. You WILL have a repeat of this Night of the Burning Skulls you all talk about because he WILL have you more at each other's throats then you already are.

Dallid had been talking me into returning and living among you all again on hopefully a semi-permanent basis, trying to convience me that things are not as bleek as they appear to be, but *she looks at him* I'm not so certain there is any amount of hope I can see or anything to believe in...well except that they are on course to kill each other.

I assisted in taking back this damn place. I decided to arrive here to see how things are and before any one of you dare tell me I have no right to say anything, I believe as more of an outsider and not apart of this great power struggle, I have more room to say something because of what I've been observing not taking any sides.

*Aurora just stands there waiting to see what anyone has to say to her.*
Last edited by Aurora on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"Garret, an Ezite are one of you who believe Esmeralda was was anything more than the ELECTED leader of town. Her title was diplomatic ONLY. AT no point in this conversation have I turned on her, though I have causes like anyone else.

I have said the same thing several times. We need to ELECT a leader. just like we ELECTED Esmeralda. It can be no other way.

I do not know how you think I am trying to get people to fight. I dropped any personal grudges I may have and agreed to go with what the town wants even though it is stacked against me. I am not sure what more I can do.

Anyone on the other side of an argument from Dallid needs to evaluate their position. He is the most neutral party in haven, and he agrees we need an election. "
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

I don't care one damn bit if she has the powers of a Queen or not. I still owe my fealty to the memory of a Kingdom and it's ruler, and it's a helluva long way from this one. Here I'm just another guy who wants to go kill monsters, save pretty girls and then come home to the certainty of a warm bed and food.

If everyone trusted Esmerelda to make decisions that affected the whole of Haven as your leader, to be in control of the kingdom's finances, and to talk with parties that she could easily have put us at war with if she had been of a mind to, why should they say that her choice in who should continue the status quo is worthless?

It's like all of you people were just waiting in the wings for something to make a crisis out of, and this came up first.
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"So once you elect a leader, they have carte blanche to appoint all leaders after them? I don't think so. The issue with Fionna is that none of us got a SAY. If she is elected, that will not be the case will it?"
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

No, the issue is that people are dragging the name of someone who personally saved my life in Avenguard through the mud, and using that to justify how she shouldn't be leader.

They've publicly accused her of cowardice, incompetence, wrongdoing, associating with evil people, and worse, all in an attempt to sway the town before a decision can even be made. And half of the people supporting those accusations haven't chimed in on a single other thing in the last six months to a year, either for good or ill.

And you say that if she get's elected all that'll change, eh? These people will all of a sudden play nice? Hell no. The verbal attacks will become assassination attempts because they're pissed they lost. I watched it happen in Avenguard.

Plus if she loses, all of us that call her a friend should be worried. Because my fear is that we'll have lost that same popularity contest, and therefore won't matter for a damn when we need to eat.
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

Garritt thinks for a moment. It's like he's listening to someone else no-one can hear, and then nods and snorts in the affirmative. "Good damn point", he says under his breath.

"OK, here's another way of looking at things. How the hell is this any different than the times Fionna was put in charge for a day of two by Esmeralda when Esmerelda couldn't be around to do things herself? Everyone seemed happy enough to follow her then, and take the town's money when she doled it out, and agree with her decisions.

Or howsabout you, Brey. You and Cristo were happy as clams when Zeira placed you guys in charge during the final days of Avenguard. I even called Cristo's decisions about something into question once, and you both responded with "Too bad, Ziera says Cristo's in charge while he's gone. What he says goes."

You sure as hell didn't have much of a problem when the same situation worked in your favors. I think you spent about half the time laughing about how you should rename the town as "Cristopolous".
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"Garrett people on both sides have painted the other as evil and incompetent. That's what they do. They don't have real points to make. My take on this is who ever ends up in charge needs to have chosen to be in charge by US. That simply has to happen. If The people back Fionna, I will have faith in her. But if the people back Cristo, I will have to have faith in him as well."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“No one should be chastised simply for speaking their mind. That said, one should always be cautious about insulting another’s character, or honor. When speaking in a public setting, one had best stick to truths. Suspicions and concerns should be voiced as exactly such – not presented as fact – and done so with respect. Without giving respect, one cannot expect respect, in turn.”

“I would like to say that no one should die for their words alone, but the fact is that many are driven to retribution against those who dishonor them, and they do deserve justice. However such matters ought to be handled in a public matter – Haven’s court or an honor dual – rather than with a dagger in the dark. ”

“Discussions are good. Arguments are good. But feelings will rise, as the definition of ‘argument’ indicates that all parties believe their opponents’ ideas are not best for Haven, or not best for themselves. The basest of instincts drives us to eliminate that which is bad for us. These instincts must be controlled. Keep in mind that such arguments are just words and ideas, and that everyone is trying to improve their situation. Consider, during these arguments, the good your opponents have done in the past. The times you’ve fought together, the lives they’ve saved. Many intend the best for Haven, but often differ on how they think best to achieve it.”

“Together are we stronger. But also together must we respect and accept one another’s differences.”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Brey
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Brey »

(OOG: Sorry I haven't posted yet guyz. My computer totally self destructed :( I'll try to get on and respond as soon as I am able to be on a computer for more than a few seconds. Hopefully that'll happen very soon and before the event.)
"The bigger the purse, the greater the fool..."
-Port City Didact saying